2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

Here is another photo from that tournament...................Staffer, lead, are you in there !? :wave:

Faldo1992ScandinavianMasters5.jpg

Well, I see a boy with the same bad haircut as I had at the time, so who knows =).

My most vivid memory is from following Sandy Lyle and Vijay Singh. I believe both hit long irons of the 7th tee, and there is forest on both sides. The sound from the hits was magic.

How many players of his high profile have had a female caddie?

Looking back was this a bit of a breakthrough?

It transpires that she is as much a sport psychologist now as a caddie. Makes sense for a caddie to be a Jack (well, a Jill in this case) of all trades and this obviously worked well for Nick.

How big of a deal was her being female at the time?

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

[quote name='BigPete' timestamp='1328647217' post='4232527']
How many players of his high profile have had a female caddie?

Looking back was this a bit of a breakthrough?

It transpires that she is as much a sport psychologist now as a caddie. Makes sense for a caddie to be a Jack (well, a Jill in this case) of all trades and this obviously worked well for Nick.

How big of a deal was her being female at the time?
[/quote]

Well, not to cast any shadow over Fanny, but I think it was mostly a result of Faldo not thinking he needed any help as far as the game was concerned. She was there to carry and to be pleasant at times, but not really to have any active part in course management or club selection.

My 5 cents.

[size="3"]If you check back through the thread I did post a link to a very good piece about Fanny.Check out page 42.

If she had no active participation,what was all the lining up of putts business about then?
Do you really think that she carried that bag for that length of time and with such success just because she was 'pleasant'?
Do you seriously think she would have been there if Faldo didn't think she was contributing?
You're having a laugh mate.....[/size]

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1328642116' post='4231913']
[quote name='lead' timestamp='1328641855' post='4231875']
Great pictures.
I was at that tournament in 1992 watching Faldo play.
[/quote]
Really, cool, so you went out there purposely or where you just 'coincidentally' there away on a romantic weekend with the missus !?lol ;)
[/quote]

hehe, no I was there with my dad. I must have been around 15 at the time.

I remember these. I've always found it quite ironic that his 18 pars to win the Open in 1987 is used as evidence that Faldo was all about fairways and greens. He was - but not during the final round at Muirfield. It was basically a long hard slog, as I believe he himself has stated. I remember the up-and-down on the 8th well. A simply incredible shot.

Gachet: Got any footage from the 1987 Open? I have a feeling I threw my VHS copy of the 1987 Open in the bin during my last house move. Foolish.

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1328631684' post='4230505']
Found these in a map of Muirfield must be just after his open win in 87, seems to confirm his bunker play was pretty decent:-

[attachment=1013855:2.JPG]

[/quote]

[size="3"]>If you check back through the thread I did post a link to a very good piece about Fanny.Check out page 42.
[/size]
[size="3"]Yes, that really convinced me. Everything posted on internet is true.

>If she had no active participation,what was all the lining up of putts business about then?
Well, I did not claim she was blind, did I?[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size="3"]>Do you really think that she carried that bag for that length of time and with such success just because she was 'pleasant'?
[/size]
[size="3"]No, I think she carried it because you she did exactly what Faldo expected of her.[/size]

[size="3"]>Do you seriously think she would have been there if Faldo didn't think she was contributing?
No, I think she did exactly what he expected of her.[/size]

[size="3"]>You're having a laugh mate.....[/size]

[size="3"]Well, now I am.[/size]

Here is another photo from that tournament...................Staffer, lead, are you in there !? :wave:

Faldo1992ScandinavianMasters5.jpg

The fun thing is that I think I am:) Saving this picture.

Remember Faldo wearing a blue shirt, and I think we were there on a Saturday or Friday? Staffer?

I think Faldo had a blue shirt on both saturday and sunday, but I´m not sure.

[quote name='The Gachet' timestamp='1328794682' post='4244043']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UZaqPpQIw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G6UZaqPpQIw[/url]
[/quote]

The sound of Faldo's strike in this clip is stunning, I know the sounds through the trees etc etc but still stunning! I dont beleive under the intensest of pressure there was a better ball striker!

Agreed!!! I thought he played really well although over the 3 days i was shocked at his putting! He would have won the PGA in may if his putting was half decent. He had something like 34 putts for a 70 in the final round. Heartbreaking.

Strangely, i was optimistic in '98, Leadbetter wrote an article in january of '98 in the times saying he had worked hard with faldo, found 20 yards and he predicted a strong year for him. Sadly it was the start of 3 year dip for all the wrong reasons. Thankfully he pulled himself out of it and played some more awesome golf in the twilight of his career. I think he would have put a point on the board in '99. His form had dropped dramatically in the second half of '97, similar to that of '95 but he still contributed massively to the victories. Form is temporary, class is permanent!

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1328807805' post='4245437']
I think you could have gone to a bookies after the 1997 and had very goods odds on Faldo not playing in another Ryder Cup ever again. It's amazing that was his last one!
[/quote]

He does indeed look amazing in these shots from Valderrama. He was unlucky to lose to Furyk.

I have to say my memory of Faldo after the Masters in 1996 is basically a steady decline. Did he really do much in the twlight of his career (apart from pushing Ben Curtis at Sandwich and that top-5 at Bethpage)? He seemed to burn out real fast - his putting in particular.

Of course, Tiger's arrival changed the game and put shotmakers like Faldo out of business.

On another note how bad does Westwood's swing look? It's just a big heave compared to his partner. It's still not the greatest to look at now but what an improvement. Cowan certainly earns his money.

[quote name='faldofan1980' timestamp='1328814548' post='4246231']
Agreed!!! I thought he played really well although over the 3 days i was shocked at his putting! He would have won the PGA in may if his putting was half decent. He had something like 34 putts for a 70 in the final round. Heartbreaking.

Strangely, i was optimistic in '98, Leadbetter wrote an article in january of '98 in the times saying he had worked hard with faldo, found 20 yards and he predicted a strong year for him. Sadly it was the start of 3 year dip for all the wrong reasons. Thankfully he pulled himself out of it and played some more awesome golf in the twilight of his career. I think he would have put a point on the board in '99. His form had dropped dramatically in the second half of '97, similar to that of '95 but he still contributed massively to the victories. Form is temporary, class is permanent!

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1328807805' post='4245437']
I think you could have gone to a bookies after the 1997 and had very goods odds on Faldo not playing in another Ryder Cup ever again. It's amazing that was his last one!
[/quote]
[/quote]

Dont agree that faldo woild have contribuyed in 99. Apart from a very slight improvement in the uspga his game was in freefall. Strangely or maybe not ao strangely aftrr leaving leadbetter his technique got very bad and his swing looked terrible from 99-01/02. His putting went then started to blame his driving distance anf lost confidence. Was a crazy decision to pick coltart over langer though.

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328823270' post='4247273']
Dont agree that faldo woild have contribuyed in 99. Apart from a very slight improvement in the uspga his game was in freefall. Strangely or maybe not ao strangely aftrr leaving leadbetter his technique got very bad and his swing looked terrible from 99-01/02. His putting went then started to blame his driving distance anf lost confidence. Was a crazy decision to pick coltart over langer though.
[/quote]

Guys like Faldo, Ballesteros, Woosnam and Monty add so much to a team though. I think you could have put Faldo out in the fourballs just to show the new guys the ropes. Nick really improved after 1991 (playing with David Gilford), he and Westwood in '97 were a good match and I would have expected more of the same if he'd continued his playing run.

Good point. Despite him being my hero even i will admit his results didn't deserve a pick. But then look at Seve in '93 and '95, he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo but he brought an immense amount. But, Faldo isn't Seve and we'll never know. However, coltart over langer was plain crazy!!

I thought his swing in 2002 looked much better as his work with J Bennett began to bear fruit. I walked with him for 4 holes at Muirfiled in 2002 and asked him what they were working on. He said it was the technical detail of his prime but inhibiting factors were reduced flexibility and weight Faldo had gained. If you look at him in the summer of '02 compared to previous years he had got his weight down and was constantly doing stretching exercises. However, J Bennet said they still had some way to go and his performance at Bethpage was 7/10 considering their targets which surprised me!!!

As for significant Faldo results,

2000 US Open = 7th
2001 Volvo PGA = 3rd (67 to close)
2001 Alfred Dunhill Championship = T3rd (all rounds in the 60's played in the last group)
2002 Us Open = T5 (3rd round 66, lowest round of the event)
2002 Volvo PGA = T4
2002 Singapore Masters = 3rd
2003 The Open = T8 (genuine chance to win with 4 holes to go)
2003 Heinekin Classic = T2 (serious chance to win, Ernie just pipped him)
2004 Volvo PGA = T4 (-15, same score he won with in 1989)
2005 The Open = T11

Despite no wins he did come close on a couple of occasions and did himself and fans proud in some excellent major performances.

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1328823270' post='4247273']
[/quote]

It was a slight resurgence but when i saw him using ping irons and then nike he kind of wasnt the old great faldo with mizuno bag and blades. He got very tight and short with his swing around 1999-2000. I have a video of him somewhere from a practice round in augusta in 2000 and his swing with the driver was horrendous. It looked like an 80yrd pitch shot. His rhythm and flow of hos swing in 1997 was brilliant. How he went from that to the swing I have from 2000 is mindboggling. Was almost like looking at another player. His swing in 2002 looked much much better.

It would be interesting to see his thoughts now on the swing, and how it would look compared to the late 80's early 90's instructional stuff if he is making a DVD.
His swing article on last months(Nov/ Dec) Golf International (cover story) pretty much mached his tips from his prime and he looked really good and fit in the pics.
His swing in his prime was the best ever IMHO and it's great to see all the clips.
His appraisal of Adam Scott's swing is interesting - looks like his fav of the current crop.
I'd take Louis....

[quote name='Iggypop' timestamp='1328870907' post='4250985']
It would be interesting to see his thoughts now on the swing, and how it would look compared to the late 80's early 90's instructional stuff if he is making a DVD.
His swing article on last months(Nov/ Dec) Golf International (cover story) pretty much mached his tips from his prime and he looked really good and fit in the pics.
His swing in his prime was the best ever IMHO and it's great to see all the clips.
His appraisal of Adam Scott's swing is interesting - looks like his fav of the current crop.
I'd take Louis....
[/quote]

I hope that his new book "Swing for Life 2" that will be out this summer will share some thoughts on how his swing evolved over the years and what he teaches today.