2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Iggypop' timestamp='1339255781' post='5057478']
Pretty remarkable that the guy who wielded a TPA with a dream like stroke in the eary 90's is into this Spider monstrosity.
I'd love to see TM re-release a milled version of a black bodied - fine milled face & sole, single white line TPA in honour of SN.
Now that would be a putter!
[/quote]

I completely agree with you. I cannot believe NF would game this.

Few things about Faldo and his equipment:

He definitely did not just use Mizuno irons. He had Wilson FG49s in his bag, until when I don't remember. How do I know? Because I looked forever on ebay for those irons.

Interesting note about his TPA putter, he said he would never have switched but he finally had it regripped once and they could never get the feel right again. He mentioned this on a Golf Channel tournament broadcast. Also mentioned that if you use an old blade (Napa) style putter, you have to pair it with a very flexible shaft.

I heard a rumor that when he was at his peak, he actually played a round with Ping Eye 2s and shot 65. However, he said they were too easy to hit and would ruin his "finely-tuned swing". Usually when I use that term, it's in some derogatory/deprecating/demeaning way, but for him I mean it.

For a few years, his swing was absolutely awesome to watch, it was so picture perfect. Then he started doing weird things like lifting his right heel and seemed to get too handsy cocking his wrists so early. Before that it was pure, very similar to Michelle Wie's swing when she was 14 and great.

Forgot to add, I was at London Heathrow about 10 years ago when I picked up the UK version of Golf magazine. Great equipment review section where Nick Faldo reviewed 12 new sets of irons. His favorite? Mizuno MP60. He gave full disclosure and admitted he was at that time being sponsored by Mizuno and actually used these irons then.

Second favorite? Miura 301.

Interesting tidbit: He likes rounded leading edges where you can see a little bit of space between the rounded leading edge and the bottom groove. Have you ever noticed the bottom groove on your iron when you set up to a shot?

Isn't that a great way to do a club review in a golf magazine? Have a former great player who you know can strike the ball tell you which club he likes best. Even if he is under contract and he picks his sponsor's club as you would expect, isn't it cool to see what he likes second and third best. If Nick Faldo says an iron set is consistent or workable, I believe him. Who cares what all these hacks in these "Clubtests" think? Some of them probably yanked a short iron that hit a cartpath and bounced 30 yards, and they can't stop talking how long that iron hits the ball.

Re. the Bridgestone Rextar Promodel balls he used, I paid a pretty penny to get a few dozen back when they were still "fresh" and still had their shelf-life. The 2 most telling characteristics was their (1) unbelievably soft feel, noticeably softer than Titlieist Tours and (2) their lack of distance, especially on the irons. My full 8 iron back then was 150 and I really had to pump the Rextars to get 145. However, they had a more controlled flight than the Titleist Tours. Not surprising that Nick the technician chose this ball.

BTW, Slazenger made the best balata balls.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1339465834' post='5071264']
He definitely did not just use Mizuno irons.
[/quote]
Seriously?

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

The Open Nick Faldo DVD Collection released today.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Open-Nick-Faldo-Collection/dp/B005AUSU1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341228396&sr=8-1

Nick Faldo was perhaps the greatest golfer of his generation and two decades after his third Open Championship victory he remains the last English golfer to have lifted the famous Claret Jug.

Twenty-five years on from his famous maiden Open victory, this remarkable DVD collection contains extended highlights of three of English golf's greatest moments: Faldo's two wins at Muirfield and his success at the home of golf, St. Andrews. From his duel with Paul Azinger at Muirfield in 1987, to his dominance at St. Andrews in 1990 and finally his glorious return to Muirfield to claim a fifth major in six years, rekindle memories of one of the greatest at the peak of his game.

Then, in an exclusive interview, listen to Faldo as he recalls each of his Open Championship triumphs, evoking memories of the shots that won him each tournament, the battles he fought and the range of emotions he felt on the final green knowing that the Claret Jug was within his grasp.

TheNickFaldoOpenDVDCollection.jpg

Some new TM toys for Faldo.

FaldoTMClubs.jpg

It's strange to think of Faldo, who was perhaps the ultimate equipment purist, now playing TM Rocketballz. Of course technology has moved on, but for those of us that grew up watching him play, it's a hard thing to reconcile.

Deep down i'm hoping he'll go back to Mizuno one day, even if he is no longer competitive.

[quote name='Raden44' timestamp='1339465834' post='5071264']I heard a rumor that when he was at his peak, he actually played a round with Ping Eye 2s and shot 65. However, he said they were too easy to hit and would ruin his "finely-tuned swing". Usually when I use that term, it's in some derogatory/deprecating/demeaning way, but for him I mean it.
[/quote]

It was a 62 around Sunningdale, in '86 if I recall correctly. He was in-between sponsors and was seeing if they fit. He gamed i3's PING's (both blades and O-Size) for quite a bit after his Adams deal finished and his Nike one started (It might have been after though....).

[quote name='Iggypop' timestamp='1341306607' post='5208902']
I've still got all the VHS of Faldo's Opens but that box set looks great, thanks G!

[/quote]

I'd be tempted by it too, but I have the '90 and '92 Open Official Films and I felt they could have been better TBH, especially '92, which should have framed the whole thing around him trying to 'defend' his Muirfield title

[quote name='denishurley' timestamp='1341429663' post='5216758']I'd be tempted by it too, but I have the '90 and '92 Open Official Films and I felt they could have been better TBH, especially '92, which should have framed the whole thing around him trying to 'defend' his Muirfield title
[/quote]

If they'd put the entire tournament (BBC coverage) on Blu-ray in SD (I don't think any of Faldo's Open's were shot in HD) then I'd be first in the queue.

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1341440744' post='5217490']
I was always under the impression Sir Faldo was an Adam's investor.
Wrong?
[/quote]

He was. He left the company due to either been unhappy with the way his irons were been developed and/or the terms he had to use them by or he needed to leave to pay for his divorce! I may have the divorce thing completely wrong and might be mixing it up (I haven't read his biography in a while) with another event. Kind of weird TMaG bought Adams after all those years.