2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

golf coaches in dallas texas

imabeatonu

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two places to check out; golden bear golf center (www.gbgc.net) and the golf academy at the golf club at castle hills (www.castlehillsgolfclub.com). both are great facilities.

i recently went to the golden bear golf center to get fitted for new shafts (certified rifle clubmaker) and ended up getting a lesson instead. told me to work on some drills and then comeback and we'll see if i need new shafts. they have a large driving range, short game area and putting green. its in north dallas near marsh and the george bush.

i have not used the golf academy at castle hills, but have heard great things about. they do have a 3 hole course too, as well as it being part of the golf club with a great course. they again have a great range, putting greens and short game area. this is in lewisville/north dallas east of 121 on hebron pkwy.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Mark Moore is my teacher at the Hank Haney facility in Lewisville. I have taken from some of the above names and they are good also. Mark is the best IMO. I have done playing lessons with him and that dude can flat out play! I learned more about the short game from him than all the other teachers I have ever had combined. He give a free 5 minute lesson (mine lasted 30 minutes). I was so impressed about what he told me about me golf swing that I signed up that day. You might want to sign up for the free 5 minute lesson to see what you think.

Dana Bellanger in Ft. Worth......Randy Smith @ Royal Oaks......Dan Strimple in Irving.......

slicefixer,

what do you know about dan strimple? i go to the driving range he is at a lot since it is close to my place and my office. i've been hesitant because i see he only teaches off the mats (i hate hitting off mats) and haven't seen him using any cameras. would like to know what you think about his technique.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

two places to check out; golden bear golf center (www.gbgc.net) and the golf academy at the golf club at castle hills (www.castlehillsgolfclub.com). both are great facilities.

i recently went to the golden bear golf center to get fitted for new shafts (certified rifle clubmaker) and ended up getting a lesson instead. told me to work on some drills and then comeback and we'll see if i need new shafts. they have a large driving range, short game area and putting green. its in north dallas near marsh and the george bush....................

I practice at GoldenBear during the winter (the club I play at doesn't have lights). It's a GREAT facility. Here are my thoughts on local instructors. Neither of these 3 are cheep (Bennie is the least cost), but they're all quality instructors.

My main instructor is Mark Maness at Golden Bear Golf Center (www.gbgc.net). Mark is very serious, and a good mix of "feel" vs. "technical/video". His rate is fairly steep, but he gives quality instruction for his time. He's taken my game a long way, but he does tend to generalize sometimes. Mark is very "by-the-clock", with 1 hour paid = 1 hour of instruction. During your lessons - Mark pays attention, and stays focused on YOU. His style of teaching accommodates your swing, and makes subtle modifications for better results. He is a very "no-nonsense/B.S." kind of an instructor that delivers pointed and solid feedback.

I've also seen another instructor named Karl Fischer (www.555golf.com, [email protected], or www.worldgolf.com/protips/golftips/). This guy is VERY serious, very detailed, Expen$ive, and extremely thorough - a friend and I jokingly call him "Sargaent Fischer", since he can be very demanding, opinionated, and precise. If you're looking for a "positive affirmation" of your game and/or your ego stroked - Karl is not for you. If you want honest and direct feedback and direction, and don't mind his harder personality, he may be a good fit. He's advanced my swing dramatically in only a 3-hour session, and I'm pleased with his methods. If you're familiar with Dave Pelz , and respond to a very logical approach, Karl will respond the same. His sessions are very expensive, but he will devote much more time to your complete game (it's not uncommon for Karl to address putting, short game thru full swing, and spend 1.5-2.5 hours with you), and deliver VERY detailed instruction and changes, as well as document your lesson with discussions, changes, and goals for the future. Karl is also easily available via email, and will deliver very thorough responses to your questions. His deameanor is not for the faint of heart - fundamentally he's a "hard-a**".

I also like Bennie Passons at CompuGolf (972-323-0077 or 972-242-7888), who uses the ModelGolf method. He's got a very good way of explaining the swing, and does a good job utilizing the ModelGolf system, incorporating your swing peculiarities with the ModelGolf system. Bennie is similar to Mark Maness, in that he focuses on major body movements to get good results, rather than subtle, small idiosyncracies and refinements. I like going to Bennie to keep my swing visually aesthetic, with good body movements and motions. I feel that the "Model Golf" system he employs helps me keep a fairly traditional, modern swing. Bennie's a great guy, and I frequent CompuGolf quite often for shaft demos and spining/testing/launch monitor analysis.

I visit each of these instructors depending on my swing and goals at the time. I'll visit Mark or Bennie if I need major, general swing thoughts, and Karl if I need/want more detail and refinement towards my goals. I would highly recommend either of these instructors, or perhaps a combination of them.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what Dan teaches......I have a very good friend and student from Ft. Worth, Clark Dennis, who thinks highly of Dan and has told me some of the things they worked on over the years and they all made sense. I've only met Dan on a couple of occasions and he seemed an agreeable sort......nice guy.

Personally I think Randy is the best in Dallas and smokes Haney, etc. I'm not sure what he charges nor if he gives lessons to poeple who aren't members of Royal Oaks......but I'm 99% sure he does!

Dan's a great guy, he's a swing plane guy and teaches a lot of Hogan's techniques, pretty old school, but he does use video and he's fairly technical. IMO much more suited to the better player. I will put in a pitch for his range though, its as good as there is in the metroplex, he owns it and mantains it, only quality range balls and excellent turf and mats. I don't know how long he's been in business, but I'd say close to 20yrs.

Dan's a great guy, he's a swing plane guy and teaches a lot of Hogan's techniques, pretty old school, but he does use video and he's fairly technical. IMO much more suited to the better player. I will put in a pitch for his range though, its as good as there is in the metroplex, he owns it and mantains it, only quality range balls and excellent turf and mats. I don't know how long he's been in business, but I'd say close to 20yrs.

it is a good range. i've been disappointed they don't stay open at late as they use to and i've really disappointed that the short game area has been closed the last few monthes. i hope its open soon. i think that is part of the reason my short game is suffering right now.

thanks again for ur responses. i have a 3 handicap but im struggling with fundamentals..video and simplicity is required. i went to david leadbetter junior academy and had the same coach as paula creamer and casey wittenberg. right now im a freshman at smu and i choked in tryouts and therefore didnt make the team. i am probably going to transfer, but i want to have my game as good as im capable of being for this summer. coaches that are positive influences will be good