2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Buying a New Driver

Hokie_Golfer

Which Shaft?
This is my First Post on golfwrx.com. I have enjoyed all of the information I have read on this site thus far. I need some advice before buying a new driver.

I am getting a new driver soon because I cracked the face of my trusty Taylormade 9.5 r580 with a Vista Pro 70 Gram Stiff shaft.
I loved this driver, however I hit it extremely high and it had so much back spin that it would either plug or spin back in the fairway.

My Average carry with the r580 was between 285 and 310 with an extremely high ball flight and Like i said no forward spin.
My goal is to be able to carry my ball around 290+ yards but actually have the ball jump forward 15+ yards.

Note: I have a very aggressive and short swing with a quick tempo. My swing speed is about 115-120 mph.

Choices:

1. Titleist 907 D2 8.5 Deg Whiteboard 83g x-flex 2.8 tq

2. Ping Rapture 9.0 Deg Whiteboard 73g x-Flex 2.8 tq or Adila NV 75g x-flex 2.8 tq

3. Ping G10 7.5 Deg with Whiteboard 73g x-Flex 2.8 tq or Adila NV 75g x-flex 2.8 tq

3. Taylormade Tour Burner TP 8.5 Deg Whiteboard 65-x 2.8 tq (too light) or Fuji Rombax 75-x 2.5 tq (Probably spins too much)

4. Cleveland HiBore 8.5 Deg with Diamina 83g x-flex 3.0 tq shaft (I think it is the blueboard, someone confirm)

5. Wait for Titleist 909

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from everything ive read about the whiteboard it is very low launch low spin, but also one of the best feeling shafts out there, if your coming from a 9.5*, im not sure you want to go 8.5* with a whiteboard, like i said it will lower the launch and especially the spin, you might want to try a 9.5* or even a 10.5* cause that will get you a nice launch and the ball will still roll out a lot when it lands, but a launch monitor might tell you which loft in the D2 is best for you with a whiteboard

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

I'd wait for the 909 as it seems to be a far superior driver. As for the shaft, I'd plump for either the Fujikura Zcom Pro 96 or the good old Speeder 757, both X-flex of course, as it sounds like your a bit of an animal with the big stick. Follow this link for shaft specs: http://www.titleist.co.uk/golfclubs/shafts...lt.asp?Filter=1

Personally i would not go for a D2 as it is a high spin head and so is unlikely to suit you. either wait for the 909 if you have the patients or look at the TB, XLS, 9015... All of which should suit you a lot better. Of course your best bet is to find yourself somewhere with a fitting cart and test out a lot of different options. Then you can find what works best for you

for a less expensive option, you could try a Nickent 3DX Tour Square. Golfio.com is selling them for $79.99 + shipping. you'd prolly have to put a stiffer shaft in it, since most vendors only offer regular or stiff in the UST ProForce V2. the 3DX Tour Square has a very low and penetrating trajectory, and a 9* head might be right up your alley. throw in an Aldila One, 65g, X-Flex for $10.55+shipping or an Aldila NVS75, X-Flex for $29.55 + shipping.

i know you are considering higher-end clubs and shafts, but i thought you might want to consider a viable option at a lower price.

the G10 tends to have 1* more in loft than stated.if you order a 9*G10 thru pingWRX

you usually get a head that is stamped 7.5*. i have a Rapture with a VSproto80 so

unless they have changed they still offer that shaft.it has great feel and a good wgt

for a strong swing/hit and works good if you dont want/need pings std 45.75" std length

no...you say you have a shorter,more aggresive swing, so i would think you need a shaft

in the 75-85 gm wght without it being a board.your r580 was a sq face w/9.5 mid spin head

and a shaft that was too light and spinny, so drop down to a mid spin 8.5 head with a

lower spin heavier shaft.the dvs has more kick at the bottom but at 80+gms you get

control and low torque.my guess is you would fly it lower and get 15-20yds roll.the voodoo prob.has a firmer tip and no doubt will be a hot new shaft.my experience has been the lighter the shaft the stonger the flex,the heavier the softer you can go. it appears you have 4 very good shafts to chose from WRX.... dvs80,voodoo,whiteboard and rombax and the amount of up chg is probably in the same order

ps ..here are 4 guys i play with that hit it a ton

hitter 115+ 905r 7.5* V2 75s

swinger 120+ R7 8.5* 90 gm Harrison stiff

both 120+ Rapture 7.5* vsproto80x

swinger 115+ G2 8.5* NV75s

no...you say you have a shorter,more aggresive swing, so i would think you need a shaft

in the 75-85 gm wght without it being a board.your r580 was a sq face w/9.5 mid spin head

and a shaft that was too light and spinny, so drop down to a mid spin 8.5 head with a

lower spin heavier shaft.the dvs has more kick at the bottom but at 80+gms you get

control and low torque.my guess is you would fly it lower and get 15-20yds roll.the voodoo prob.has a firmer tip and no doubt will be a hot new shaft.my experience has been the lighter the shaft the stonger the flex,the heavier the softer you can go. it appears you have 4 very good shafts to chose from WRX.... dvs80,voodoo,whiteboard and rombax and the amount of up chg is probably in the same order

What are your opinions on the Rombax 75-x with the TM 8.5 Deg Tour Burner TP?

If only I could get that driver with the 73g whiteboard but only the 63g is available :russian_roulette:

i would give it a try,but finding a demo or one at a demo day might be tough,supposedly it has a 2*open face but it looks SQ to me and they dropped the price $200 to 399$.i think the shaft is $250 by itself.

shaft prices are becoming absurd

the "hitters" i know like the ust v2 75x ( has some wght,lo torque but still has some feel)

you might want to find a callaway demo rack that has the changable shafts so you could get some ideas

ping is supposed to have a similiar demo cart on the way

Thanks for the advice. I think I may try out the TM 8.5 Tour Burner TP if I can find it for a good price with the Rombax X-stiff shaft.

From looking at the Pingwrx the Specs it seems to be some where in between the UST V2 75g x-stiff and the 73g X-stiff white board.

Would the Whiteboard 65g X-stiff be that bad in this head? I found a sale price for $350 but it only offers the WB or Matrix Con.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may try out the TM 8.5 Tour Burner TP if I can find it for a good price with the Rombax X-stiff shaft.

From looking at the Pingwrx the Specs it seems to be some where in between the UST V2 75g x-stiff and the 73g X-stiff white board.

Would the Whiteboard 65g X-stiff be that bad in this head? I found a sale price for $350 but it only offers the WB or Matrix Con.

the WB is highly regarded here @golfwrx.....firm tip low launch

BTW, tgw.com has the TB/ rombax x with a 30 day playability guarantee but its

399 +6 ship+no tax

i would want to hit a demo of this club(a tm tp w/a s shaft) before i pulled the trigger just to make sure i was comfortable with the head and loft and general shape of the shot

if you hit a demo 9.5 with a WB s you might say..ok..like the head and feel of the shaft but im hitting it

too high ... then the 8.5 w/ WBx is the ticket or it could feel to light which takes you to the rombax..heck you might think the 8.5 is too low.................

the WB is highly regarded here @golfwrx.....firm tip low launch

BTW, tgw.com has the TB/ rombax x with a 30 day playability guarantee but its

399 +6 ship+no tax

i would want to hit a demo of this club(a tm tp w/a s shaft) before i pulled the trigger just to make sure i was comfortable with the head and loft and general shape of the shot

if you hit a demo 9.5 with a WB s you might say..ok..like the head and feel of the shaft but im hitting it

too high ... then the 8.5 w/ WBx is the ticket or it could feel to light which takes you to the rombax..heck you might think the 8.5 is too low.................

The Problem is finding a Demo day in my area (Alexandria, va) and even then finding a 8.5 with an X shaft in the barrel may be hard.

It makes sense to try TGW.com because I will have 30 days to make up my mind. Worse come to worse I can exchange it for the same head with a dif shaft.

Or I can order the TB/ rombax 75x for cost and then if I don't like it I am sure I can recover my costs on eBay.

just some thoughts on the whiteboard, it is a great feeling shaft, i play a 73x in my r7 425 TP (one of the greatest driver heads of all time IMO) swingspeed is about 110-115(can take it to 120 but bad things happen then) all i hit is mid trag. bombs. with a slight draw. the whiteboard is one of the best feeling shafts i have ever played.

"Or I can order the TB/ rombax 75x for cost and then if I don't like it I am sure I can recover my costs on eBay. "

the "old" cost was $425

i dont know the "new" cost off hand since the price was just recently lowered

maybe $300 ?

in any case i think you have a target in sight....

looking foward to your review in the driver section

i have a friend that buys every new driver but tourney time he's always got his r580 :russian_roulette:

"Or I can order the TB/ rombax 75x for cost and then if I don't like it I am sure I can recover my costs on eBay. "

the "old" cost was $425

i dont know the "new" cost off hand since the price was just recently lowered

maybe $300 ?

in any case i think you have a target in sight....

looking foward to your review in the driver section

i have a friend that buys every new driver but tourney time he's always got his r580 :russian_roulette:

I put in the order for the TM TB TP with the Fuji Rombax 75-X Shaft today :russian_roulette:

It should be in my bag within a month. I will start a review thread with my initial thoughts and a more detailed review after a few rounds.

Dave

you should get fitted

I hear this stock Fuji Rombax shaft is pretty nice (comparable to the Whiteboard but softer). I only wish I could have gotten it in the 85g version.

The goal here was to find a driver that would lower my trajectory a little and give me some roll. I think with a 8.5 degree loft head+ Fuji Rombax X-stiff(2.5 tq, high kick point, and 75 gram shaft) should give me something along the lines of what I am looking for.

If there is something still left to be desired w/this combo I will sell the stock shaft and get fitted :jester:

On a positive note I shot two consecutive 79's in the past 2 days with total distances over 6600 yds, with only two three woods :cheesy:

Does anybody know a good online handicap recording program?