2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

need more distance!!!!

tjewell1994

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay relaxed through swing: relaxed muscles make faster muscles

Focus on solid impact, right in the middle of the face: a 235 yd shot is about 130mph ball speed. The smash factor would be (130 ball speed / 98 club speed) = 1.33 The best guys in the world will get between 1.45 and 1.50 At 1.33 smash factor, you're hitting the ball 1/2" to 1" away from the center of the face. Get the hit in the center, and you're same swing will get you to 260yds

Hit the ball from an inside path: a recent Golf or Golf Digest magazine even had an article about how just hitting from an inside path yields the most yards. There are numerous ways to ingrain this, The one concept that works the best for me is to make sure the left wrist is flat, even bowed a little, through the swing. The right wrist needs to be bent back as far as you can in the backswing and most of the downswing

Wide downswing arc. At the start of the downswing, dont "pull" the grip down to the ball with a shrug of the shoulders. Keep a little bit of separation between the upper arm & chest (going completely opposite of Vijay Singh's armpit towel drill).

Snap at impact: a fraction of a second before impact is when the "snap" occurs. This is when you take the bent back right wrist and snap it straight (while rolling over the left wrist, because the left wrist should never bend backward) and straighten the right elbow, pushing out. The right arm should be extending like you're punching at the ball.

Lots of stretching (its amazing how much longer your arms will reach afterwards), confidence, well-fitted equipment, confidence, proper fundamentals, confidence, don't be afraid to experiment, and finally, confidence....

Well it sounds like you drive the ball at a good rate for your age (the same distance I got at 13), but what can I say if you feel you can hit it further? What really gained a lot of distance for me was the "elbows magnetized together" technique that Ben Hogan taught. It really helps me to keep my hands behind me, and therefuore my full weight in front of the club, which is where all the distance comes from. Just keep your elbows as close as possilbe throughout the full swing. That's all there really was to it for me. I used to hit my 7 iron 150 and now I hit it 175.

• 1 month later...

Stay limber and loose. I use a swingweight donut to do this. I swing the donut for a minute before the first tee shot, and then again whenever I feel tight. This also builds swing speed. You also need a correct swing technique. Having a big coil and large backswing, past parralell is good only if you know how to make it work without losing the plane. The wrist snap is also key.

I'm 20 been playing for a little over a year. I've gained over 70 yrds since I've started playing, driving around 300 now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hit the ball on your upswing. if you hit the ball on your downswing, the ball compresses and slides up the face, that's where you get your backspin from. when the ball slides up the face, not as much energy is transfered into launching up and outward. the less the ball slides on the face, the more energy is transfered into launghing the ball up and outward. watch the pros' clubface in slomo when they hit their drivers. if you get a chance to watch a pro-am event when they zoom in and slomo the swings of the amateurs you will clearly see the difference. try moving your hands back when addressing the ball in your stance, it might help you to get the feeling of getting the clubhead moving upward when you make contact with the ball. if your hands are parallel to or infront of the ball at impact you will not be swinging upward when you hit the ball. take a verrryyy slow swing and compare the two and you will notice the difference. just make sure not to flip your wrists and bottom hand at impact or you will lose all of that power you're trying to gain. when i try to maximize distance on a normal drive my hands are much farther back at address when compared to when i try to hit a low controlled drive such as a stinger. hope this helps.

btw, i wouldn't try to separate your upper arms from your chest. i don't and have a 120 mph swing speed on a normal drive and can crank it up even more. vijay and hogan are two who seriously stressed the importance of keeping your upper arms glued to your chest throughout the entire swing. vijay has been consistently one of the longer hitters on tour even well into his 40s. hogan hit the ball a considerably long way for a man who stood a generous 5'7", weighed 150, and played a fade. think about the clubhead speed he generated.

hey guys, i'm now hitting it about 275, but that's probably because i'm working out a lot.

wat your work out program?

since i'm only 14, i can't really do any heavy weight lifting without stunting my growth or getting hurt, i do 8 sets of 25 push-ups on my "Perfect Push-ups", 2 sets of 75 sit-ups, 3 sets of 15 pull-ups (easy level on the iron-gym), and 1000 reps with each arm with an 8lb dumbell. i do this 3-4 nights a week. this normally takes about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hours, but while i'm doing the reps, i always watch some TV so i don't get bored.

I now you have been working out, but how much would you say that the momentus power hitter has help with you distance?

i don't swing it that much, but when i do, i feel i hit it a little farther, but after a while you go back to your normal distance. but ithink over a long period of time, it got me about 15 extra yards to what i already had.

hey guys, i'm now hitting it about 275, but that's probably because i'm working out a lot.

wat your work out program?

since i'm only 14, i can't really do any heavy weight lifting without stunting my growth or getting hurt, i do 8 sets of 25 push-ups on my "Perfect Push-ups", 2 sets of 75 sit-ups, 3 sets of 15 pull-ups (easy level on the iron-gym), and 1000 reps with each arm with an 8lb dumbell. i do this 3-4 nights a week. this normally takes about 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hours, but while i'm doing the reps, i always watch some TV so i don't get bored.

haha I used to do that, except at like 150 reps each arm with a 10 pounder, I haven't done that in a while though,

quick thing- I see no cardio, I know alot of it is cardio based, it's still not the same as a bike or a run.

^^^^^^ i run 2 miles on my treadmill sometimes, and i'm the #1 runner on my track team, and we practice twice a week. i think that's enough cardio.

BTW: if you care, my times are

100m: 11.9 sec

400m: 1:04 min

long jump: 17.5 ft.

discus: 102 ft.

haha nice nice, I'm like a slow sprinter, but a good long distence person .

jsut was making sure you did cardio, good job keep it up!

^^^^^nice

hey, i see you live in canada, i would pass out if i ran up there. how many months of the year do you get to golf?

lol runing up here is easy, its the ice thats a problem in the winter, well I'm just north of toronto (central-southern ontario) we get mid-April till around the 5-10 of November normally.

• 2 months later...

i have a question

WHY in gods name do you do 1000 reps with an 8lb weight?

That is frickin crazy! and pretty pointless unless you want to set a world record for the number of reps of an 8lb weight at some point in your life

why are you doing weights? To get stronger? Then do less reps A LOT LESS with more weight!

to answer all your questions. i play an x-flex because my miss is left and my average shot is a draw. i wanted to straighten that out and the x shaft really has. i see no reason to switch because i'm driving the ball better than ever.

i don't do 1000 reps anymore. i go to the gym and do either 8 reps with a 35lb dumbell or 12 with a 30lb. i also use all the other gym equipment and it really has been working. i feel like i can now make a smoother swing and still get it out there about 275, but a lot straighter now.

also, i feel the key to increasing my distance that much because i have grown about 4 inches and i have gotten a lot stronger. when i first started this topic, i wsa 13 years old, about 5' 4 and 115lbs. now, i'm 14 years old, 5' 8, and 135lbs.