2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hilton Head Island Trip Report 8/23-9/4/08

dcbogeyman

This year for the first time in 19 years we (wife & I) decided to take our summer vacation in Hilton Head Island instead of Myrtle Beach. I played 8 rounds of golf. My choices of where to play were based largely on input I got from reading this and other golf bulletin boards.

Robber’s Row (Port Royal) – a parkland style course that is set among the homes at Port Royal Plantation. For the most part all the holes are tree lined on both sides which in some cases leads to some very narrow fairways. The majority of the holes are straight away with most of the trouble visible from the tee box. There are several par 4’s that while short require a well placed tee shot to allow for the best angle to the green. The most scenic hole is the par 5 number 13 in which the tee shot plays over marsh. (I had my first gator sighting while coming up to the tee box on number 13.) I recommend this course as a good warm up round.

Hilton Head National (off island) – without a doubt this was the best conditioned course I played during my time at HHI. HHN has 3 9’s (two of the 9’s were designed by Bobby Weed and the third was designed by Gary Player.) I played the one of the Weed and Player 9’s. There is no housing on the course which gives it a very secluded feel. Most of the holes play through Carolina Pine trees with water coming into play on several holes. Since this course is far enough inland there is no marshland on the property. I would play again.

Arthur Hills Course (Palmetto Dunes) - this course should be on everyone’s must play list at HHI. It is a true shot maker’s course. If you put the ball on the correct side of the fairway you will get some great angles to the green/pin. As an example – Hole number 1 has a huge mound/hill that borders the entire front of the green. The only way to avoid having to shoot over the mound/hill and to be able to see the green and flagstick is to be on the extreme right side of the fairway. Unfortunately I pulled my tee shot into the left rough just past the Palmetto trees on the extreme left side of the fairway. I pitched out, but not far enough so my third shot was totally blind. I got on the green with my pitch about 40’ from the pin and 2-putted for a bogey.

Water comes into play on a number of holes with the 2 par 3’s on the front side playing over water. What makes this course tough are the hazards which cannot be seen from the tee box or in some cases from the fairway. (Hole number 9, par 5, has a water hazard that plays from left middle to the left side of the green that cannot be seen from the fairway.) I would play again. (Had my second gator sighting along hole number 12.)

Harbour Town Golf Links (Sea Pines) – home of the Verizon Heritage. Had to play this one, just had too. This is what I told my wife as a way of justifying the expensive greens fees. What a tremendous golfing experience from the course to the facilities to the forecaddie. There is one word to describe this course, tight.

Watching it on TV does not do justice as to how tight this course is or how pretty some of the holes are or how small the greens are or what the “pucker” factor really is on the par 3 17th hole. While I did not play my best round of the trip here, I certainly had the most fun on this course.

My highlight came on the par 3 7th hole. It was playing about 151 yards from the white tees with a left to right somewhat hurting wind. I struck a solid 7 iron at the flag which the wind carried to the right. It landed just past hole high about 12 feet from the pin. I read it with a slight break from right to left, while the forecaddie “D” reads it straight. I decided to go with his read and hit it straight, well it broke just a little right to left but still went in the hole for birdie. So much for “D’s” read! (There was only one other birdie from our 3-some for the round.)

When we had finished playing number 17 I said to the group, “it doesn’t get any better than this.” The consensus was with me on this. I would play this one again, but interestingly enough it was my second favorite course I played on this trip.

George Fazio Course (Palmetto Dunes) – George was Tom Fazio’s uncle. This course is more of what I call a resort course. It’s scenic, plays along housing with not many trees, some water that comes into play and all hazards are visible from the tee boxes and fairways. It is more wide open than all the other courses I played in HHI. Glad I played it, but I don’t need to play it again. It would also make for a good opening round.

Old South Golf Links (off island)- It’s not long, but requires a reasonable amount of accuracy and has several holes that play over and/or along the marsh. I shot my best round of golf here and I also broke 80 for the first time ever (78). The course was designed by Clyde Johnston (Heather Glen, Glen Dornoch, Shaftsbury Glen and my all time MYR favorite Ocean Harbour – RIP) so what’s not to like about this course? Nada! I’ll play again and again and again. Oh, did I mention that I’d play this one again?

Hampton Hall Club (off island) – a private club that has openings for outside play and designed by Pete Dye. Can you say wide open? It’s obvious that when they hired Pete Dye to design the course they gave him land, lots of land for the fairways. The problem is that it doesn’t much resemble a Pete Dye design other than a waste area or two. Played it, enjoyed the round, but no need to go back there.

Melrose (Daufuskie Island) – requires a 45 minute ferry ride from HHI to Daufuskie Island and then a 10 minute bus ride to the course designed by Jack. The ferry ride was a pleasure, so don’t let that stop anyone from deciding to play on Daufuskie Island. (Saw fish jumping, birds of all shapes and sizes, gators and dolphins during the ferry ride.)

For those of you that have read Pat Conroy you’ll recognize Daufuskie Island as where he taught in a one room school house and from that experience he wrote the book, The Water is Wide and from that book the movie “Conrack” was made. (BTW Pat Conroy is my favorite author.)

How did I know to save the best for last? I didn’t, it just so happens that, TS Hanna was coming along and I had to shorten a planned 9 rounds of golf down to 8 and Melrose was number 8 on my hit parade to play. This course has it all: Oak trees with Spanish moss lined fairways, holes that play over and along side of marsh, greens that are smaller than at Harbour Town GL and to top it off the three finishing holes play along the Atlantic Ocean.

My highlight shot came on number 14 a par 4 of 412 yards from the whites. Hit a decent tee shot that left me about 185 yards to the pin. I hit a 4 hybrid that I put a fade on and came up about 25 yards short of the hole. I pulled the cart to the back of the green and walked from the hole to my ball along the way pointing to where I had to land the pitch shot to get it close to the pin. I get to my ball with the landing spot locked into memory. I execute the shot, watch the ball land where I wanted it to and then it rolls straight into the cup for birdie. Yes!

If you ever venture down to play golf at HHI, you must, I repeat must play Melrose on Daufuskie Island. Dare I say this, for the money it’s a better play then Harbour Town GL. I shall return!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. I've been going to Hilton Head for the past 10 years and love it. Daufuskie is amazing. It's great to go over and do a 36 hole on both courses. Just wondering how much Harbour Town was. I heading down there on Sat for the week and I'm trying to layout where we are going to play. I've played it before but some of the other people haven't and I want to give them the option but want to warn them of the price.

Thanks for the report. I am going down to HHI the 27th for a week and hope to play a couple of the courses on your list. I played Old South for the first time in April and really liked it, especially the marsh holes. I was already thinking of Hilton Head National, and now you have me wanting to get over to Daufuskie. Sounds great!

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

• 6 months later...
Harbour Town Golf Links (Sea Pines) – home of the Verizon Heritage. Had to play this one, just had too. This is what I told my wife as a way of justifying the expensive greens fees. What a tremendous golfing experience from the course to the facilities to the forecaddie. There is one word to describe this course, tight.

Watching it on TV does not do justice as to how tight this course is or how pretty some of the holes are or how small the greens are or what the “pucker” factor really is on the par 3 17th hole. While I did not play my best round of the trip here, I certainly had the most fun on this course.

Couldn't agree more on HT. That's by far the tightest golf course I've ever set foot on. Most fairways require precise placement to even have a shot at the green. 16, 17, and 18 make it though don't they? Gorgeous holes. :)