Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Well I have my PBS now and I'm just starting to use it. I'm also taking lessons at the same time.

So the pro giving me the lessons has given me two problem areas to work on. One I lift my right foot off the ground before impact. Did not know I was doing this. Also my arms were not lose and relaxed during the swing they were stiff. Which makes me leave the club face open coming through the ball. This gave me a slice and no distance on any of my shots. I also have a big problem getting the club face square coming through the ball. I can square it with my irons most of the time but still have issues with the driver.

So from what I understand in using the PBS my goal will be to use a aiming point in front of the ball. I will try to draw a mental line from the PBS at the top of my back swing to a point in front of the ball. Then I should work on feeling the pressure on me right hand index finger that is over the PBS. I'm thinking this should help me bring the club from the inside to out by trying to hit a spot in front of the ball? Will this also help me to square the club face coming through the ball? Or will it just be easier to square because I'm coming more from the in to out path?

Or am I all wrong about this? I really think the PBS will help me.

Thanks

Anyone have any idea if this is the correct way to use the PBS? Thanks

Is this site just about selling the product? I can not seem to get any answers after buying one.

thanks

Funkey,

You can direct your question to me at [email protected] if they are not answered here.

Golfwrx is about many things so do not take it personal.

BTW did you get my PM?

For those of you thinking about trying the Pure Ball Striker for the rest of the month of March any order placed by 11:59 P.M. March 31st 2009 will receive a second Pure Ball Striker for FREE! Just go to this WEBSITE.

We have extended the above offer until 11:59 PM EST, Friday, April 3rd, 2009. Just go to above website.

OK, OK, OK already <quickly visits website and places order>

I'm in ! :D

I hit some balls using the PBS for the 1st time yesterday and I think that it is an excellent training aid and I congratulate Jeff on that.

I've been working on a more rotational swing (Slicefixer style) since November and have had a couple of lessons with Dan (DFW1500). One thing I still have a big problem with is pushing my hands and arms down the line (chasing after it – as Dan calls it) through and after impact instead of them just going left with my rotating core. This results in some thin shots and heavy draws (I've always tended to get a bit flat on the backswing also).

Before I used the PBS I was slightly concerned that the PBS might conflict with the idea of passive hands/wrists/arms (the hands and arms going left after impact with the rotating core) that I have been working on. I thought that the PBS might even encourage me to continue pushing my hands and arms down the line after impact if I have an aiming point ahead of the ball.

To avoid this potential issue I thought maybe I could use an aiming point which is more left when you look down the line (eg the big toe of the left foot) so yesterday I hit some ¾ wedges (well they felt like ¾ but were probably full shots) and some short chips/pitches using the PBS with the following swing thought:

Complete the backswing (initiated and driven by the core) then just direct the lag pressure (felt in the right fore finger pressing against the PBS) at the left toe

This seemed to work pretty well and in my follow through my hands and arms felt more left which is what I want but I didn't consciously try to move the PBS in a straight line towards my aiming point, I just used the swing thought of directing the lag pressure towards my left toe. Am I using the PBS and lag pressure correctly?

Please tell me if I'm jumping ahead too quickly here but once I am hitting the ball solidly more consistently how do I then increase the power, do I need to:

1) just direct the lag pressure more aggressively towards my left toe

2) try to maintain the lag pressure for longer

3) create more lag in the 1st place

4) rotate harder with the core whilst still aiming the lag pressure at my left toe

5) All of the above

6) Something else

Can anyone suggest any thoughts or drills that achieve more power with the PBS whilst still using the slicefixer rotational swing that I'm working on?

Cheers,

Nik

Nik,

3 Types of Lag

1. Pivot Lag

2. Accumulator Lag

3. Pressure Point Lag

1 and 2 are released

and

3 is maintained

Pivot Lag is basically a 2 to 1 ratio from the feet up. Consider if one rotates their core faster it could through off the ratio.

Accumulator Lag is the angles formed with the arms and wrist and the release of them in proper sequence . Note: Right wrist remains bent because it is not considered an accumulator. While maintaining the bent right wrist the trigger finger can trail and accept the lagging clubhead well.

Pressure Point Lag feels or senses the lagging pressure of the clubhead. This pressure gives the player the location and feel.

As the player feels this location they become aware and can now direct the pressure to and through their aiming point. Direct by releasing the Pivot Lag and Accumulator Lag while maintaining the Pressure Point Lag.

Where is the boundary between creating lag pressure, and having too much forward shaft lean...

As long as the shaft is in-line with the primary lever assembly their will be enough forward shaft lean.

Lag pressure is the feel of the sweet-spot loaded against the trigger finger. Once we can feel/sense it we can monitor it.

I asked Ben Doyle if we can have to much lag.

Ben asked me if we can have to much love?

I replied no.

Then we can't have to much lag either.

Ben was referring to lag pressure.

jeff -- is the PBS more about getting the right feel in the 2 middle fingers of the trailing hand, or in the buttpad of the index finger? relatedly, how do you interpret hogan's comments on trailing hand pressure points at the end of this video:

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Titleist AVX

jeff -- is the PBS more about getting the right feel in the 2 middle fingers of the trailing hand, or in the buttpad of the index finger? relatedly, how do you interpret hogan's comments on trailing hand pressure points at the end of this video:

It is from my observations that it is in the buttpad of the index finger/trigger finger. That is the clubhead lag pressure point which accept the feel of the clubhead lagging, the sweet-spot plane and monitors the roll of the target hand.

I ordered my PBS a couple of days ago after reading all 29 pages of testimonials and tips.The BOGO deal helps too, great stuff. I know it only takes a few days to ship but I couldn't wait to get that "feel" everyone's talking about so I went to the driving range yesterday. Since I didn't have my PBS yet, I just thought about putting pressure (with the first joint of my index finger) where the PBS would be and swinging my hands to my aiming point. After topping the ball a couple of times, I began hitting the ball with a nice crisp sound. I thought I would be pulling the ball with this swing thought but my misses were mostly push if I dont get to my left side correctly. I've always used my left arm (right handed but left side dominant) to pull the club down towards the ball because I felt like I could keep my lag better that way. The problem is, I couldnt control the club face through impact. I have good distance but lack control. Now that I that I'm learning about this pressure point, TGM concept, I feel like I can hit the ball aggressively while maintaining control of the club. I guess I need to cancel my order since I have a good imagination...just kidding, cant wait to try it. One more thing, I know this has been a long post but has anyone suggested attaching a small piece of nylon (or any durable lightweight material) to the PBS and a small strap on the other end that would wraparound the shaft? It might be good for us beginners as long as it does not restrict the movement of the PBS while on the grip. Just my 2 cents...

I have a theoretical and practical question to ask.

Why do we have an aiming point especially when it is so vague (left foot, in front of the ball etc)?

If we are not arm swingers, and we rotate, from the feet up. The hands, and even the arms, are passive and brought in-line by centripetal force by the pivot with no manipulation or even thought. Theoretically, our thoughts are target centred.

Even Newtonian 'laws of motion' advise that any manipulation of the levers will reduce their efficiency (read speed), in other words "we can't move the clubhead any faster than we can swing it".

Shouldn't we educate our hands to be passive but observant?

Jeff,

Thanks for this.

So my understanding is that to increase power I need to do the following:

Pivot Lag

Create pivot lag by making a full body turn in the backswing and then rotate my body from the ground up as fast as is possible without losing both pressure point and accumulator lag in the downswing.

Accumulator Lag

Create as much accumulator lag as possible in the backswing/early in the downswing. Maintain this lag until the delivery position (where the club is parallel to the ground in the downswing). Release the accumulator lag.

Pressure Point Lag

Maintain and direct the pressure point lag felt in the trigger finger towards and past the aiming point in the downswing and follow through.

Is this correct?

Does anyone know any drills or swing thoughts to use (with or without the PBS) to achieve this whilst using the slicefixer rotational swing?

Thanks,

Nik

I ordered my PBS a couple of days ago after reading all 29 pages of testimonials and tips.The BOGO deal helps too, great stuff. I know it only takes a few days to ship but I couldn't wait to get that "feel" everyone's talking about so I went to the driving range yesterday. Since I didn't have my PBS yet, I just thought about putting pressure (with the first joint of my index finger) where the PBS would be and swinging my hands to my aiming point. After topping the ball a couple of times, I began hitting the ball with a nice crisp sound. I thought I would be pulling the ball with this swing thought but my misses were mostly push if I dont get to my left side correctly. I've always used my left arm (right handed but left side dominant) to pull the club down towards the ball because I felt like I could keep my lag better that way. The problem is, I couldnt control the club face through impact. I have good distance but lack control. Now that I that I'm learning about this pressure point, TGM concept, I feel like I can hit the ball aggressively while maintaining control of the club. I guess I need to cancel my order since I have a good imagination...just kidding, cant wait to try it. One more thing, I know this has been a long post but has anyone suggested attaching a small piece of nylon (or any durable lightweight material) to the PBS and a small strap on the other end that would wraparound the shaft? It might be good for us beginners as long as it does not restrict the movement of the PBS while on the grip. Just my 2 cents...

If you want to keep the PBS in place, just use a little piece of double stick tape.

And yes, you can do everything the PBS is trying to get you to do, without the PBS.  It just teaches you to sense how and where it feels a little easier.

If you want to keep the PBS in place, just use a little piece of double stick tape.

And yes, you can do everything the PBS is trying to get you to do, without the PBS.  It just teaches you to sense how and where it feels a little easier.

His idea with the nylon is more practical because you will get the feedback of knowing it fell off and you lost your lag pressure.

If you use tape you are essentially cheating. You may think you maintained lag pressure yet it was the tape that held it on the club.

I have a theoretical and practical question to ask.

Why do we have an aiming point especially when it is so vague (left foot, in front of the ball etc)?

If we are not arm swingers, and we rotate, from the feet up. The hands, and even the arms, are passive and brought in-line by centripetal force by the pivot with no manipulation or even thought. Theoretically, our thoughts are target centred.

Even Newtonian 'laws of motion' advise that any manipulation of the levers will reduce their efficiency (read speed), in other words "we can't move the clubhead any faster than we can swing it".

Good question! Here just a few.

Each individual has different hand speeds and that speed may very from stroke to stroke and daily

Clubshaft lengths very

and

Release Types

I like it! I think of it as monitoring.

A tether maybe need for those losing lag pressure.

Nik,

3 Types of Lag

1. Pivot Lag

2. Accumulator Lag

3. Pressure Point Lag

1 and 2 are released

and

3 is maintained

Pivot Lag is basically a 2 to 1 ratio from the feet up. Consider if one rotates their core faster it could through off the ratio.

Accumulator Lag is the angles formed with the arms and wrist and the release of them in proper sequence . Note: Right wrist remains bent because it is not considered an accumulator. While maintaining the bent right wrist the trigger finger can trail and accept the lagging clubhead well.

Pressure Point Lag feels or senses the lagging pressure of the clubhead. This pressure gives the player the location and feel.

As the player feels this location they become aware and can now direct the pressure to and through their aiming point. Direct by releasing the Pivot Lag and Accumulator Lag while maintaining the Pressure Point Lag.

Jeff,

Thanks for this.

So my understanding is that to increase power I need to do the following:

Pivot Lag

Create pivot lag by making a full body turn in the backswing and then rotate my body from the ground up as fast as is possible without losing both pressure point and accumulator lag in the downswing.

Accumulator Lag

Create as much accumulator lag as possible in the backswing/early in the downswing. Maintain this lag until the delivery position (where the club is parallel to the ground in the downswing). Release the accumulator lag.

Pressure Point Lag

Maintain and direct the pressure point lag felt in the trigger finger towards and past the aiming point in the downswing and follow through.

Is this correct?

Does anyone know any drills or swing thoughts to use (with or without the PBS) to achieve this whilst using the slicefixer rotational swing?

Thanks,

Nik

Under Pivot I would not say as fast as possible. Sequenced yes.

Under Accumulator there is maximum and minimum for distance control.

Pressure Points, Lag pressure is maintained and monitors both pivot and accumulators.

His idea with the nylon is more practical because you will get the feedback of knowing it fell off and you lost your lag pressure.

If you use tape you are essentially cheating. You may think you maintained lag pressure yet it was the tape that held it on the club.

Mine has NEVER fallen off the grip, but it always gets moved around or up and down, where I have to keep repositioning it every few shots.  If it stayed in place better, I could concentrate more on my practice and less on having the PBS properly positioned.  

Mine has NEVER fallen off the grip, but it always gets moved around or up and down, where I have to keep repositioning it every few shots.  If it stayed in place better, I could concentrate more on my practice and less on having the PBS properly positioned.  

Very good point!

When I have ball striking issues during a round of golf I will go to the practice ground and hit a few balls with the Pure Ball Striker on. Most of the times I notice that it is twisting and moves out of its original location when I don't maintain my clubhead lag pressure. BTW this is good feedback tool for me. If I am not maintaining my clubhead lag pressure I have lost my ability to sustain the line of compression which causes a loss of distance and direction.

And yes, you can do everything the PBS is trying to get you to do, without the PBS. It just teaches you to sense how and where it feels a little easier.

You're right. I guess some people misunderstood the purpose of using the nylon. I just thought it might be a good idea so we dont have to worry about losing the PBS after it comes off during the swing. It's also pretty dangerous picking up the PBS on the driving range. One less thing to worry about when practicing and thinking about pressure points. That's why I thought nylon would be good since it wouldn't defeat the purpose of giving feedback if the player is not applying pressure on it.

I got mine on Wednesday and tried it out on the range today. Took a few swings to get used to the lag; however, once I made the adjustments I started hitting some of the purest shots I have made with little effort. I have a problem with my backswing going past parallel which I need to work on, so while on the range I went to a 1/2 and 3/4 swing and I was getting the same distance versus full swings.

While the result was positive and immediate, I realize that this is not an overnight fix. It will take hours of range time to train the muscles, it didn't help today that I was hitting into a 45 mph+ headwind which at times literally blew me off my stance. I guess that's what the players felt in Houston yesterday.

Great low cost training aid. I recommend this to anyone, thanks Jeff. :D

Hi,

I received my PBS yesterday and I am still a little confused about what I should expect from it.

I used at home to make a few swings and it felt quite good, but I am not sure what should I be learning from it. It seems to me that I swing better with it on than without, but I would like to understand better what part of the swing I should be focusing on.

Thanks,

Daniel

you obviously dont understand it. it is a simple thing, true. but that dont make it useless.

For me it showed me what a golf shot with lag was like, since then ive been able to find lag myself, as it helped me understand lag!

Though one thing, since i changed to a 10 finger grip it dosent work anywhere near as well as overlapping, very strange!

No doubt the "disciples of jeff" will absolutely slaughter me for this but, in my opinion, this is a simple piece of rubber that is absolutely useless. Save your money and get lessons instead. In my opinion, this thread is a sales promotion.

Thank you for your honest opinions.

WOW!!!!! It is not often that a person is publicly slammed and that persons response is sooooo peaceful! Wish more people in the world responded to these situations like you :)

No doubt the "disciples of jeff" will absolutely slaughter me for this but, in my opinion, this is a simple piece of rubber that is absolutely useless. Save your money and get lessons instead. In my opinion, this thread is a sales promotion.

It's too bad that you didn't find the PBS useful. I know that it helped me, so I don't think it is "useless". Call me a disciple if you want but Jeff has created an aid that helps, that is why I continue to read and post in the thread.