2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

U Pro Gps

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an obsessive distance freak and have both of them, and also a Bushnell Pinseeker Slope edition. Here's my take on the pros and cons of each:

(1) Pinseeker - Very easy to shoot distances, generally, you can shoot to anywhere including bunkers, hazards etc. Just find and object and shoot it. The main advantage of the pinseeker is getting absolutely accurate distances to the exact pin positions. At my home course the greens are very large, and it's surprising how far off calculations of pin position can be using a GPS device. It's very frustrating when you add 5 or 10 for a back pin only to find out it was 15 or 20. So particularly from 130 yards and in, the Pinseeker gives the best data. Yes, you can move the cursor around the green on the SkyCaddie or the UproGPS....but it still is an approximation. Also, you can always get the distance of your drives by shooting a tee marker from your ball. I say this because people always point to the "mark" function of the GPS units as a big advantage in this regard.

(2) SkyCaddie SG5 - I've had this for a couple of years and it has performed extremely well. The black onyx software was an improvement. In terms of accuracy between the SkyCaddie and the UproGPS, they use the same uBlox system so they are pretty much identical in this regard. The SkyCaddie software is a bit more mature in terms of advancing from hole to hole, which has been a minor issue on the early software of the UproGPS...but once you figure it out it is no problem on either device. Sometimes the graphical representations to hazards are a bit hard to decipher, but once you get used to it, it is no problem. A real plus of the SkyCaddie is how tough and sturdy it is. You don't really have to worry if you drop the thing...and I don't worry much about the elements like rain. But it's a little bulky to keep in your pocket during a golf swing. Keep in mind that you will need to pay a yearly fee for the service. I had to just renew mine for $70...but that's for courses anywhere. If you select your home state, it's cheaper. One downside of the SkyCaddie is that customer service has not been ideal. Perhaps it's improved, but at one point my unit stopped working and it took me a couple of days to get through to them....i finally sent and email and got some action.

(3) UproGPS - I just got this a couple of weeks ago, and it certainly wins on the cool factor. In basic mode, it is similar to the SkyCaddie giving distances to the front, middle, and back of the green, and also giving distances to the beginning and end of hazards. But when you hit the button for pro mode, this unit takes the cake. You visualize a "flyover" of an actual satellite image of the hole, with a blue, white, and red line at 200, 150, and 100 respectively. There are then multiple images you can bring up of the hole...and you can see your location on the hole where there is a red flashing icon. From there, you can measure to any point using a handy measure function. You can even use the measure function to figure the exact distance you need to hit a ball to be say 100 yards from the pin. Also, I find it easier to understand the distances to various points when looking at the actual picture of the hole. If your home course has not been "mapped" yet, they guarantee to do it within 4 business days. Since my home course had already been mapped, I selected another local course that had not yet been mapped as my home course. Sure enough, 3 days out the file was ready for download. Basic mode downloads (which give all the info skycaddie does) are FREE with no yearly fee. If you want pro mode with the slick flyovers and satellite images of the holes, you can order "credits" and the more you order the cheaper it gets per course. I ordered 50 promode courses for $120 which is probably all i'll ever need. And you can use them forever. With SkyCaddie, you'll need to pay each year to continue to use the device. One last thing. The Upro is smaller and lighter. No problem keeping it in your pocket during a swing. But it doesn't seem as sturdy as the SkyCaddie. Hopefully, it will hold up....no problems so far. Also, UproGPS customer service is the best I have seen. My first unit was powering off instead of going into the power save mode. They immediately sent me a new unit. Also, I had a question about a course I downloaded so I sent an email on Sunday afternoon. I got a call back from them about 15 minutes later.

So anyway, I like all 3 and they each have advantages. If I had to select one device it would be a tough call.

I'm an obsessive distance freak and have both of them, and also a Bushnell Pinseeker Slope edition. Here's my take on the pros and cons of each:

(1) Pinseeker - Very easy to shoot distances, generally, you can shoot to anywhere including bunkers, hazards etc. Just find and object and shoot it. The main advantage of the pinseeker is getting absolutely accurate distances to the exact pin positions. At my home course the greens are very large, and it's surprising how far off calculations of pin position can be using a GPS device. It's very frustrating when you add 5 or 10 for a back pin only to find out it was 15 or 20. So particularly from 130 yards and in, the Pinseeker gives the best data. Yes, you can move the cursor around the green on the SkyCaddie or the UproGPS....but it still is an approximation. Also, you can always get the distance of your drives by shooting a tee marker from your ball. I say this because people always point to the "mark" function of the GPS units as a big advantage in this regard.

(2) SkyCaddie SG5 - I've had this for a couple of years and it has performed extremely well. The black onyx software was an improvement. In terms of accuracy between the SkyCaddie and the UproGPS, they use the same uBlox system so they are pretty much identical in this regard. The SkyCaddie software is a bit more mature in terms of advancing from hole to hole, which has been a minor issue on the early software of the UproGPS...but once you figure it out it is no problem on either device. Sometimes the graphical representations to hazards are a bit hard to decipher, but once you get used to it, it is no problem. A real plus of the SkyCaddie is how tough and sturdy it is. You don't really have to worry if you drop the thing...and I don't worry much about the elements like rain. But it's a little bulky to keep in your pocket during a golf swing. Keep in mind that you will need to pay a yearly fee for the service. I had to just renew mine for $70...but that's for courses anywhere. If you select your home state, it's cheaper. One downside of the SkyCaddie is that customer service has not been ideal. Perhaps it's improved, but at one point my unit stopped working and it took me a couple of days to get through to them....i finally sent and email and got some action.

(3) UproGPS - I just got this a couple of weeks ago, and it certainly wins on the cool factor. In basic mode, it is similar to the SkyCaddie giving distances to the front, middle, and back of the green, and also giving distances to the beginning and end of hazards. But when you hit the button for pro mode, this unit takes the cake. You visualize a "flyover" of an actual satellite image of the hole, with a blue, white, and red line at 200, 150, and 100 respectively. There are then multiple images you can bring up of the hole...and you can see your location on the hole where there is a red flashing icon. From there, you can measure to any point using a handy measure function. You can even use the measure function to figure the exact distance you need to hit a ball to be say 100 yards from the pin. Also, I find it easier to understand the distances to various points when looking at the actual picture of the hole. If your home course has not been "mapped" yet, they guarantee to do it within 4 business days. Since my home course had already been mapped, I selected another local course that had not yet been mapped as my home course. Sure enough, 3 days out the file was ready for download. Basic mode downloads (which give all the info skycaddie does) are FREE with no yearly fee. If you want pro mode with the slick flyovers and satellite images of the holes, you can order "credits" and the more you order the cheaper it gets per course. I ordered 50 promode courses for $120 which is probably all i'll ever need. And you can use them forever. With SkyCaddie, you'll need to pay each year to continue to use the device. One last thing. The Upro is smaller and lighter. No problem keeping it in your pocket during a swing. But it doesn't seem as sturdy as the SkyCaddie. Hopefully, it will hold up....no problems so far. Also, UproGPS customer service is the best I have seen. My first unit was powering off instead of going into the power save mode. They immediately sent me a new unit. Also, I had a question about a course I downloaded so I sent an email on Sunday afternoon. I got a call back from them about 15 minutes later.

So anyway, I like all 3 and they each have advantages. If I had to select one device it would be a tough call.

Fantastic response/post! Thanks.

Does anyone know how the uPro compares to the color Golf Guru? I have been reading the posts between the two plus user reviews of the uPro on the Golfsmith site and am worried about the quality of the uPro. I hear about it locking up, not working and powering down. Then on the other hand the Golf Guru had issues but with the latest color unit and updated software no issues to speak of. Both sound good but do you need all the bell and whistles the uPro pro mode has or is the Golf Guru better bang for the buck. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a comparison between these two units.

thanks in advance.

I have a sky caddie sg2.5 and I can't say enough good things about it. It has been flawless.

The main thing that you don't realize until you have had a unit for a while is how much you value not having to fiddle with the unit.

Bells and whistles are cool, but I have had other units and it just seems like once the novelty wears off, I find myself just wanting certain information without fiddling too much. The Sky Caddie is always there, ready to rock. Plus, if you really break it down, the two most useful pieces of information involve hazards and end of fairway and then real distances into the green, that allow for your oreintation to the green- in other words the intelligreen feature. The sky Caddie has both. Plus the software is easy and idiot proof.

Also, my SG2.5 is made very well, and I love the buttons.

The upro is very ambitious but don't underestimate the ease of use and ease of access value that the SG's provide.

Noelsy

I have a sky caddie sg2.5 and I can't say enough good things about it. It has been flawless.

The main thing that you don't realize until you have had a unit for a while is how much you value not having to fiddle with the unit.

Bells and whistles are cool, but I have had other units and it just seems like once the novelty wears off, I find myself just wanting certain information without fiddling too much. The Sky Caddie is always there, ready to rock. Plus, if you really break it down, the two most useful pieces of information involve hazards and end of fairway and then real distances into the green, that allow for your oreintation to the green- in other words the intelligreen feature. The sky Caddie has both. Plus the software is easy and idiot proof.

Also, my SG2.5 is made very well, and I love the buttons.

The upro is very ambitious but don't underestimate the ease of use and ease of access value that the SG's provide.

Noelsy

Substitute "Golf Guru" for "sky caddie sg2.5" and I echo your comments. Golf Guru has their equivalent to the Intelligreen feature. Use of the bells and whistles is totally optional and do not get in the way if you do not turn them on or want to use them. The big differences are the Golf Guru is less expensive to buy to start with and has no annual fee. An added plus is their customer service - it ranks right there at the top.

I use a Quick Link laser shot at my home course and it is hard to beat with speed, etc. However, my wife has used Skycaddie for years and I purchased her a Upro about 6 weeks back. My initial reaction is WOW! Very impressive interaction. The only thing is getting courses in pro mode in areas not within the metroplex areas. We belong to two clubs and all the courses around the DFW metroplex are mapped. Our other course, located a couple of hours away, has yet to be added even after several requests. My take on this is it is extremely beneficial if you are unfamiliar with the course you are playing. The flyovers will provide you an idea of a golf hole you have never seen. On your home course it is not as valuable with the exception of being able to pinpoint certain hazards. My wife is in love with it due to a couple of reasons, I think the greatest being novelty. No one else has one yet and she is a somewhat a celebrity with it. Anyhow, I like the product once the courses are all available. They are a bit pricey, but again for what you get, it isn't bad. CC in Texas