Suggestions for Memphis area golf?

Hello all! I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I'm sure it will be moved if necessary. I've got a wedding to attend the weekend of November 14th in the Memphis, TN area and would like to play golf on Saturday morning (November 15th). It will be me and two other hacks, so we're not looking for the most expensive course in town. In fact, we're looking for the least expensive/best value course in the area we are staying (zip code 38133). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but courses with the most elevation changes would be at the top of our list.

Here are some that look to be relatively near the place we are staying:

1. Stone Bridge Golf Course (across the street)

2. Quail Ridge Golf Course

3. Davy Crockett Park Golf Course

4. Audubon Golf Course

5. The Links at Galloway

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Dustin

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Memphis for for a stint so I might can help you with this one.

1. Stone Bridge Golf Course (across the street) - not a fan of this one, been a while since I played it but never liked the layout and the greens were often damaged

2. Quail Ridge Golf Course - this one is decent, average layout and condition

3. Davy Crockett Park Golf Course - avoid this one - the perverbial goat pasture

4. Audubon Golf Course - avoid this one for same reason as above

5. The Links at Galloway - best of the Memphis muni courses, pretty bland but usually in good shape and scorable

Unfortunately, there aren't that many good public courses in the Memphis area but of the ones you suggested, I'd probably recommend Galloway or Quail Ridge. Just an FYI, no driving range at Galloway, Audubon or Davy Crockett. If you don't mind adding a bit to your commute, the courses in North Mississippi are better. You could consider Cherokee Valley, Wedgewood, Plantation or North Creek in that order. All of these have pratice facilities and are generally in better condition and more challenging. If you want elevation changes and a bit of interest along with quality conditions and layout, I'd have to recommend Cherokee Valley.

I live just outside Memphis and can tell you that for the price, you cannot beat the Links at Galloway. You need to call tomorrow to get a tee time though as it will be crowded. Ask for Mickey Barker, Director of Golf and a friend of mine. Tell him Brad Hailey referred you.

Two other suggestions if it is full. Edmund Orgill in Millington is a county run course and wide open and cheap. I am not sure if you can get a tee time not being military, but Gleneagles Golf Course in Millington is in prime shape with greens that are outstanding. Both are about 20 minutes from Bartlett.

From the courses on your list, avoid Quail Ridge, very tight and too many houses. Davy Crockett and Audobon will be in poor shape and Stonebridge is not worth the money.

I live in Olive Branch and I would agree on the North MS ( all but North Creek are in Olive Branch) suggestions. However, if you are staying in the North East Memphis Area I would suggest all you listed except Crockett and Audobon. I would do Quail Ridge before Stonebridge.

I played Galloway last Saturday and it is fun, a good value and in great shape for a muni.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Cherokee Valley is great, and if you can make the drive to that Navy base in Millington, I would go there. I heard that they have been working on that course in the past year. Tunica National is good also, but that is too expensive for what you were asking for.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

Thanks for the responses!

Here's the rub: we need a short drive, a cheap course, and minimal pressure from "real' golfers! First, we're playing the morning of my buddies wedding so we're looking to stay within a 15-20 minute drive from the Stonebridge course area. Second, I don't consider myself a good golfer as I shoot 81-84 and play about once a month/6-weeks. The other two guys are doing good to break 100 and one of them just picked up the game a few months ago. In short, we want to play on the morning of 11/15/08 and the more fun they have the better. I'm the only one who would complain about green speed and I can get over it for this outing. As to the North MS courses, we all live in Jackson, MS and are familiar with them but they are not what we're looking for here. One last thing, price is also a component of fun for these guys as they will almost certainly play like crap and regret playing if the spent too much.

Having said that, does this change your recommendations?

It sounds like Galloway it the best value, but will it be the most fun for the guys who are struggling if they are pressured? I've played with these guys quite a bit and when they feel pressured, they just pick up their ball to avoid further embarrassment.

Well given your refined search criteria, Galloway is probably your best choice. It's pretty open without too much trouble, cheap, and is usually in pretty good shape. It does get crouded pretty fast so I'd reserve ahead of time for sure. Quail Ridge and Stonbridge are both going to be closer to where you are but are tighter, more challenging and have a lot more hazards so if you're looking to avoid that, I'd stay away from those two. For a muni, Galloway is a great course and it's not going to frustrate your buddies too much. Another one that's not too far from where you are located that noone has mentioned is Fair Oaks in Oakland, TN. That's just down highway 64 20 or 30 min. from where you are and is also a pretty forgiving course. I've only played it once and the marshall kept proding our group to play faster so I've not been back but that was probably 5 years ago. It has a pretty decent reputation in the area as far as the condition and layout so that might be another option for you to consider. Maybe someone who's played there a bit more recently could chime in with their input.

As to the North MS courses, we all live in Jackson, MS and are familiar with them but they are not what we're looking for here.

Being from Jackson, MS have you played Reunion Golf & Country Club in Madison? I was given a gift certificate for a foursome round of golf and have to use it by the end of the year. I've heard it's almost as nice as Annandale.

Ping G30 10.5* Driver
Callaway Big Bertha 815 14* Fairway
Cobra Z-Fly 3-4 & 4-5 Hybrids
Mizuno MP30 5-PW
Ping Glide GW SW LW
SC Studio Design 1.5 Black Pearl

PhillyHack73, Reunion is much nicer than Annandale. Both have excellent greens and are maintained superbly, but the layout of Reunion is much better as it has many more elevation changes and is generally more dynamic with sloped fairways and picturesque holes. Try to play before the grass goes dormant because if you wait until then, the speed of the greens and length of the course will destroy you. Seriously, putting on them last year around Christmas time was like putting on fresh ice - hit it and pray! That was the first time I ever played Reunion and I ran my 10 footer by 20 feet on the first hole!!!

Good luck and have fun! I wish I was a member there but I don't have $30,000 for joining fee + the ~$400 for monthly dues and random $5,000 assessments for clubhouse, etc....

DD

Galloway is the one. $37 on Saturday's with cart. You can call a week in advance, maybe sooner, and it will be just what you and your buddies will enjoy.

It's short, under 6000 yds, not much trouble, in great shape, and was remodeled about 6 years ago. I will warn you there is a some bermuda rough that is thick but not deep

901-685-7805 is the phone number.

Hope you guys have a great time.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Courses close to where you will staying. I'd go with Quail Ridge or Stonebridge. Both should be very close to you. If you don't mind a 20 minute drive Fair Oaks in Oakland, TN is in good shape and so is Gleneagle in Millington. South of Memphis in Olive Branch, MS Cherokee Valley would be a good one. If you want to do a little gambling and play some golf Tunica National and Cottonwoods are great in Tunica, Ms

Based on the skill level of your group you probably don't want any part of Davy Crockett. Stick with Galloway and you won't regret it.

As for elevation change the previous poster is correct. We have about as much elevation change as Jackson, but if you want elevation the best would be T O Fuller State Park in SW Memphis.

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1