2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MP-60 vs LT2

prayn22putt

Preferences
The new irons are already paid for, but I'm having a hard time deciding which set to get. I've got it boiled down to 2 sets, either Mizuno MP-60s or TM LT2s. I've hit the LT2s on the range and they felt great. I've hit the MX-23 and MP-32s. The MX-23s felt good but the club head was a little larger than I'm used to and the MP-32s felt like a little more than I can handle (I'm a 7 hcp). I think the MP-60s would be a perfect fit. I've hit forged cavity back irons for 10 years (Hogan GCD Tours) and like the feel of forged. The LT2s felt more like a forged club than a cast club. I've hit the MP-60 into the net at the store and they felt really nice, but it's hard to tell anything from hitting into a net. The first demo day in the area isn't until April 11 and I wanted to have new clubs in hand by then.

Has anyone played both? If so can you offer any comparisons?

Thanks

Tommy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had MP-32s in the bag for over a year and absolutely love them! Last fall I took a set of LT2s out to demo and thought they were really harsh. For some reason, all of TMs irons feel harsh to me. I have hit the MP-60s and thought they had that nice soft Mizuno feel, too. I'm biased because I play Mizuno, but I honestly feel they are the best retail iron out there.

I have been hitting the tm tp irons at the local driving range at lunch for the pas 4 months and they have felt ok... really punishing on miss hits... The past couple of times at my local pro shop I have hit the mp 60's and the feeling on most shots have been head and shoulders above the tm irons. That is just me though. If I was purchasing new Irons they would definitely have to b the mizunos.

Fish

I personally prefer LT Is than LTII. LT I have regular sized head while LT II have midsized head. If you want to compare two forged clubs, why don't you try LT TP? they are the same club as the LTII but they have forged and smaller head. Mizunos are nice, but LT series would be easier to hit.

PING ANSER
TM V-STEEL
BS J38 3-PW
588's
Scotty studio design #2

I personally prefer LT Is than LTII. LT I have regular sized head while LT II have midsized head. If you want to compare two forged clubs, why don't you try LT TP? they are the same club as the LTII but they have forged and smaller head. Mizunos are nice, but LT series would be easier to hit.

I'm with Tsukasa. I much prefer the original LT over the LTII's. Less offset and smaller head size. Although not forged, it is probably the best feeling cast club I ever hit and some others would concur. The LTII stock 110 gram shafts aren't as good as the DG or Rifle offerings that were available in the original LT model although I don't know which shaft you tried in the LTII model. However, if you are imterested in the TM LTII's, I would compare apples to apples and compare the TM LT forged model against Mizuno forged models to see which you prefer.

Last year I had a driving range deathmatch between the LT2's, MP-32's, Ping S59's and MP-33's. All were DG S300 except the Pings. The long and short of it was the MP-33's won. Even the pro helping me was surprised, given how poorly I hit the LT's. He started telling me I shouldn't even try to hit the 33's, blah blah blah. When I hit the 33's, I was longer, straighter and more accurate. And not by a little bit.

So the lesson there is demo demo demo. You never know what the best fit for you will be. They might be shovels, or they might be blades.

I'm with Tsukasa. I much prefer the original LT over the LTII's. Less offset and smaller head size. Although not forged, it is probably the best feeling cast club I ever hit and some others would concur. The LTII stock 110 gram shafts aren't as good as the DG or Rifle offerings that were available in the original LT model although I don't know which shaft you tried in the LTII model. However, if you are imterested in the TM LTII's, I would compare apples to apples and compare the TM LT forged model against Mizuno forged models to see which you prefer.

Just a small correction on the above - the LT tours are not forged :) . They are cast, but have a suprisingly soft feel to them. Play them myself and they will stand as one of the pinnacle sets in the player CB category IMO.

Another thing to consider when choosing between a soft forged Miz against a top cast iron.....how do You cope with the excessive wear on a forged soft Miz a full season later :D ?

My 2004 LT tour's still look brand new....

Well, as others have said - go try them out, but remember to demo with same shafts as they have a major say on the total experience of the club.

Good luck,

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

Just a small correction on the above - the LT tours are not forged :) . They are cast, but have a suprisingly soft feel to them. Play them myself and they will stand as one of the pinnacle sets in the player CB category IMO.

Another thing to consider when choosing between a soft forged Miz against a top cast iron.....how do You cope with the excessive wear on a forged soft Miz a full season later :D ?

Well, as others have said - go try them out, but remember to demo with same shafts as they have a major say on the total experience of the club.

Good luck,

Soeren

Dolleris, thanks for correcting me on the LT Tours. I thought they were forged? I guess it would be hard to compare apples to apples with the LT models and Mizuno forged? I still think the original LT's whether tour or retail are some of the best irons out there. However, thats just my humble opinion.

Thanks for all feedback!

There is certainly a lot of support for the Mizuno's here. I will probably end up with them, but will try both on the launch monitor at the shop. I've played forged for a long time and don't believe I'd be happpy with cast after all these years.

I have seen where the LTs get a lot of play on all the tours - it's probably due to the money!?

Another thing to consider when choosing between a soft forged Miz against a top cast iron.....how do You cope with the excessive wear on a forged soft Miz a full season later :) ?

Good luck,

Soeren

I cope like this, Soeren

Summer bag: Carbon Forged soft Mizuno irons ALL THE WAY :miz: :wub: :miz::WTF:

Winter bag: Cast solid feeling Ping irons that will stand the test of time and rough climate :yes: :D :cheesy:

Thanks for all feedback!

There is certainly a lot of support for the Mizuno's here. I will probably end up with them, but will try both on the launch monitor at the shop. I've played forged for a long time and don't believe I'd be happpy with cast after all these years.

I have seen where the LTs get a lot of play on all the tours - it's probably due to the money!?

Oh, well - yeah TM irons are probably not good enough for the worlds best....I guess You can make them play whatever set just as long as the money is there :yes:

Another thing to consider when choosing between a soft forged Miz against a top cast iron.....how do You cope with the excessive wear on a forged soft Miz a full season later :cheesy: ?

Good luck,

Soeren

I cope like this, Soeren

Summer bag: Carbon Forged soft Mizuno irons ALL THE WAY :miz: :wub: :WTF: :wub:

Winter bag: Cast solid feeling Ping irons that will stand the test of time and rough climate :miz: :) :miz:

Claus, what I meant was : a soft forging dings up so easily....well, I guess I'll forget about that when I'm having my new TM TP blades custom-fit this spring :D :D

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

I've had both sets. The LTIIs had flighted rifles (stock shaft did not fit me at all). My MP60s have DGSLs.

The LTIIs were clearly more forgiving. The ball was a bit harder to work and control trajectory.

The MP60s feel better and are more controllable. They are definitely less forgiving though.

In the end, I've liked both sets. Get in a launch monitor and see what fits best. Both sets are quality with slightly different capabilities.

Hope that helps.

never hit the mp-60 but did play mp-32 for half a season. i have lt2 in the bag right now. imo both are great irons. the mp-32 were very forgiving for a blade. they feel like butter just like any mizuno forging. the lt2 are probably the best cast players cavity back irons. although some will argue the original lt are better. never hit the orginal lt's but have seen and held them. but back to the lt2, they feel very soft and satisfying when struck well. but the feel is not quite like a forged iron. they look very good at address, relatively thin top line, minimal offset, and compact head, though not as small as the mizuno's. for me they both launch the ball at the same mid trajectory. i went with the lt2 because i needed the extra forgiveness. if i can improve may ball striking a little i may go with the mp-60.

you really can't go wrong with either. if you can handle the mp-60 they are wonderful. if your ball striking is not quite up to par like me then lt2's are an excellent choice. the lt2's are also a pretty good bargain.

Titleist TSr2 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50 Stiff, Taylormade 300 13.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff, Taylormade Stealth Plus 5W Project X Evenflow Red 6.0, Callaway Apex DCB 4-GW Steelfiber i110cw Stiff, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54* & 60*, Cobra King Grandsport 35", Maxfli Tour