Nike SQ DYMO²

SQ DYMO²

- Dynamic Moment of Inertia: All SQ DYMO and SQ DYMO² drivers are engineered from the ground up with the express purpose of optimizing the launch and spin by loft. Performance is maximized in every loft by varying multiple specifications from lie angle, to MOI and CG placement, to overall head size and face depth.

- Square or Round Geometry:

Square geometry is about straight and long, great sound, optimal launch by loft, and great looks. A new folded round geometry repositions square mass into a round format for workable distance and control. Two designs for the player that wants to "swing away."

- UST Wide Body Shaft Design with AXIV Core:

Ultra lightweight shaft power through speed and stability. A larger overall diameter throughout the body maintains shaft stability at impact. AXIV Core material in the tip section for power.

- New SQ Grips:

Designed for maximum grip on the top half, and fantastic feel on the bottom, these grips will give you control and power shot after shot.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly Hi all - this is my first post here. I have tremendously enjoyed reading these excellent forums and I look forward to chatting with you all.

OK, I (hopefully not too hastily) splashed the cash on one of these in the square head 9.5* Stiff shaft (Swing speed avge 106mph). I must confess it was mainly the marketing that made me do it. That and I am a bit of a sucker for Nike gear.

Just a bit of background first....

I play off 18 handicap and felt I had finally just cured a fade /cut issue that I have had since taking up the game 2yrs ago. I had an Adams A3OS 10.5* Stiff with Aldila NVS 55g Stiff shaft. I won't go on about Adams Drivers (this is for another thread) but suffice to say that the head snapped clean off on Saturday and went 50m up the fairway......

Anyway onto the Nike, hit it on the launch monitor and it felt solid off the face, and the avge carry was 260yd. OK I thought - purchased on the spot because I now didn't have a driver. I was assured that the square head would help me hit it straight and I tended to believe it even though everything was going right on the launch monitor. This is mainly because I was nailing the Adams with the square head.

Took this unit to the range for it's first outing tonight and have to say I struggled to hit it straight. the lie angle seems funky to me (not upright enough) and I felt that the club was getting "stuck" and felt as though I couldn't help but impact the ball with a slightly open clubface. Hello again fade / cut.

Not overly impressed. The Adams also had a longer than standard shaft and was easy to hit long and straight - I expected the same from the Dymo2. Not convinced at all so far.

I just got mine in today.

I lost some yardage mainly because I went from a tour head Callaway FT5 LCG with a Matrix Altus shaft in it (basically a high dollar bomber) to the Nike Dymo 2.

My best drives were about 10 yards shorter which isn't too fun.

However, my worst drives were in the fairway which I'll take all day long.

Overall it depends on what you want. I have plenty of power to hit the ball a long ways so I care about how straight, not how far. For those that don't you might have a different opinion.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

that adams square head is a great great head, I would urge you to upgrade the shaft in it and return the dymo...

I recommend a slightly heavier (65g) shaft for you (maybe the aldila DVS 65s) and 44-45"

the standard 55g 45.5 shaft is too light and too long

Stay in touch with me and let me know how it goes, I have a new adams driver pull Aldila DVS 65s, id be glad to put it in the adams head for you... PM me and let me know how the dymo struggle goes, I personally still like the 5900 much better (the right shaft makes all the difference)

also, i agree the dymo looks too flat at address

• 4 weeks later...

H@LY CARP is this thing straight !!! For those of us that cant hit the 300 yard driver with a swing speed of 100 plus and are just satisfied with a fairway driver 250 yards down the pipe this is the driver. Not a big fan of the square head but defenitly a fan of results and man o man is this thing straight and decent on the length, but for one ill take a 250 straight over a 275 on the wrong fairway.

Props to Nike on a great driver.

• 4 months later...

I have the dymo square fairway in a regular shaft 15 degrees and can happily testify it is the most effortlessly straight club I've ever tried. I know this is a section to review the driver, but they're both more or less the same club just scaled down a little.

It's like the ball is on auto-pilot! My cheapo ram tended to slice, the callaway diablo tended to hook, and this destroyed all the other clubs (callaway, hyper x, and cheapo ram) in terms of distance. I'm not a big hitter and average 120-130 yards with a 3-wood in callaway and ram, but can consistently get 170-180 yards with this.

I'm just glad they ditched that awful yellow color scheme on last year's models. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Recently demoed (outdoor range) the square Dymo with 10.5* loft and standard shaft in Regular flex, comparing it with the Cally FT-9 (10*, std. Reg. flex) and my 983K (10.5*, YS-6 Stiff).

Initial reaction was that the Dymo felt noticeably heavier than the other two. Also found that the shot dispersion of the Dymo was a major issue. Concluded that my 90mph, quick tempo swing and the stock Dymo shaft was NOT a good match! Was really hoping that the Dymo would work out, since the the recent price drop to $200 is easy on the wallet, but the results were less than satisfactory. As always, YMMV.

In sharp contrast, the FT-9 was longer and way more consistent. A real joy to hit! The $400 price, however, is a deal-breaker. The "big dog" search continues.....

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this driver for a week. Took it out the first round when the course was empty and got to hit several from each tee. Same deal the second round for the last 9 holes.

The club hits it a mile even on mishits, BUT it just wasn't a very positive experience with the club. I think it mostly boiled down to two things for me. First is that is that it sets up too closed for my taste. The second and bigger factor was the shaft. I absolutely hated the shaft. Just no feeling of loading for my swing. To be totally transparent though I have yet to be able to to stand, much less like any UST shaft. They all feel stiff, dead and unresponsive to me.

Also, the head lacks much feeling. If you hit it at midnight you would have no clue where to look for your ball.

I would love to try it again with a different shaft but never saw one.

I demo'd the Str8 fit version and liked it better but bought this one because I found it for a good deal. I'll probably try the L5V and the FT9 before I try buying the Str8, if it comes to that.

Cobra F7+, Oban Kiyoshi White
Adams Tight Lies Titanium 3+
Cobra Baffler 3H
Cobra F7/F7 One 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll ER7
TaylorMade TP5x