L5V vs. A4 Tech vs. Burner TP

driverwedge

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new driver and have it narrowed down to these three (for now) after reading the reviews here, checking out the "hot list" issue, etc. I was initially interested in the L5V as I'm a Cobra guy right now. I read that it was a low spin, high launch head, but the stock shaft is garbage (for me). I've also read great things about the Adams 9015/6. Last added to the list is the new Burner TP. Not even sure if it's out yet, but was also reviewed as a low spin head.

I had the Adams A3 last year but went back to my Cobra after breaking 3 shafts inside the club (the stock 55-x DVS). Was certainly more forgiving that but no longer.

Either way, I'm certainly interested in keeping spin down and going deep. My SS can get into the upper 130's with my stock Cobra, but probably average in the upper teens to low 20's, so any shaft recommendations would be most appreciated- again, looking to keep it lower. I usually hit up on the ball but my spin is still in the 2.5-3.5k range- higher if I hit it straight on. I never hit down. Launch angle is in the 9-12 range.

ProLaunch Red? Whiteboard? V2? Any weight opinions? I have a slow backswing but go after the ball.

Thanks again for any guidance and/or insight. It's appreciated.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I'm certainly looking forward to hitting the A4 when the weather permits (in NH) but am currious why Golf Digest showed that the L5V was lower spin than the A4. I know they're not the last word on anything, but am wondering why.

Also, should I aim for the A4 (9015) or the 9016? I'll try them both when I can, but I don't know how available the 9016 is.

No word on the Burner TP?

Thanks again!

I think the L5V got such a high launch rating in GD because of the stock shaft. Get a decent shaft in there and the ball flight will come down and the spin rate will be plenty low.

I wouldn't even think about not getting a Cobra LxV, whether it's the 4 or the 5. All you need is a good shaft. With your clubhead speed, I'd probably get a 8.5 degree X head.

Do you know if Cobra makes a 7.5* for retail? I think J.B. Holmes swings an L4V in a 7.5*. The last few 8.5's I've owned have been a bit higher than I'd like, but like you said, it could be- and probably was- the shaft.

So what should I shaft a L5 with if I went that way? I've seen the Whiteboard, and ProLaunch Red and V2 with higher weights (70-85g) that are supposed to keep launch/spin down. I'm not trying to kill the bank so the Whiteboard might be out. The PL Red and V2 are certainly priced right, but is it decent?

Thanks again!

Do you know if Cobra makes a 7.5* for retail? I think J.B. Holmes swings an L4V in a 7.5*. The last few 8.5's I've owned have been a bit higher than I'd like, but like you said, it could be- and probably was- the shaft.

So what should I shaft a L5 with if I went that way? I've seen the Whiteboard, and ProLaunch Red and V2 with higher weights (70-85g) that are supposed to keep launch/spin down. I'm not trying to kill the bank so the Whiteboard might be out. The PL Red and V2 are certainly priced right, but is it decent?

Thanks again!

Check out House of Forged shafts. Reasonable price plus great performance for higher swing speeds.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

In my experience hitting both clubs (Adams A4 tech vs Cobra L5V) with the same loft (9.5) and stock stiff shafts the L5V was much lower spinning for me. Your mileage and other's certainly may vary. But as Robopti and B. Pavlet discussed in the original L5V M.O.A.D post this is one low spinning beast. Mine should arrive on Friday and I've got a 63 x Fubuki and a Voodoo SVS6 just waiting. I haven't been this excited about a driver in a very long time. I'll be sure to post my results but it may be a while here in Northeast OH post blizzard with more on the way :crazy:

I really appreciate the info! I am really leaning toward the L5V, but am not locked into it yet, as the only way to hit the 8.5* is to special order it, which is kind of frustrating. I do have a V2 LD3 shaft that has an old head on it. Are the L5V's difficult to re-shaft with the new angle adjustment system they have?

I'm sure others who have actually installed different shafts could speak to this question much better than I can. But from all the posts I've seen it's actually much easier to do than pull an entire shaft from a head because all you're removing is the hosel adapter which can be done without the shaft in the head. Finding a clubfitter that's willing to do it will be the real challenge for me. I doubt Golf Galaxy would even attempt it. From other posts I've seen Cobra will not even install an adapter on a shaft that is not offered as an upgrade. Hence, my dilemma with the Fubuki I have. I'll find a way--I even PM'd a gentleman on this site who took the time to explain to me in detail how he removed the adapter from the stock shaft and installed it on another shaft--again, he said it was quite easy. I'm half tempted to take a stab at it myself but I'd hate to ruin a shaft I paid over $200 for. If you'd like, PM me and I'd be happy to send his detailed instructions.

Thanks very much for the offer. I'll certainly take you up if I go with the Cobra (and probably will). Thanks again!

I hit a L5V with a stiff ProLaunch Red this weekend at Golf Galaxy....Launch angle was 11* & the spin rate was 4100+ with every swing. I'm really confused as to how the L5V is a super-low spin head.

By no means am I defending the Cobra head here, but........unless the loft is far to extreme on the high side, which it's not judging by the launch angle, or unless the shaft is terribly wrong flex and profile wise, the ONLY thing causing that much spin is swing related.

I just hit the A4 yesterday (indoors- still cold in NH) and wasn't blown away. Felt alright, but the numbers didn't tell me to run out and get it. The pro-shop I went to only had one and it was a 9.5* with the stock S flex. My old Cobra I'm using is a 7.5* also with the stock S flex- so it's not exactly apples to apples. The spin and distance were no better. I actually lost a bit of distance. Probably due to very high ball flight (9.5 vs. 7.5).

Either way, I was wondering how you were able to find an L5V with a ProLaunch Red. Everywhere I've been to only has the stock RedBoard and never an 8.5*. It's a bit frustrating when you have to special order something just to hit it.

I hit a L5V with a stiff ProLaunch Red this weekend at Golf Galaxy....Launch angle was 11* & the spin rate was 4100+ with every swing. I'm really confused as to how the L5V is a super-low spin head.

By no means am I defending the Cobra head here, but........unless the loft is far to extreme on the high side, which it's not judging by the launch angle, or unless the shaft is terribly wrong flex and profile wise, the ONLY thing causing that much spin is swing related.

In hitting the L5, I drove a total of 10 balls & each carried in the 275 range, but next to no roll. My current setup is a L4 with a ProLaunch Red & I get entirely too much spin with this as well. What could I be doing with my swing to generate this sort of spin? I play to a 6 or 8 depending on the time of year so I never thought my swing was all that bad until I found this website :black eye: ...Now I know my spin numbers are out of this world & I have tried every low spin / shaft combination that has been recommended to me, but nothing helps.

9-12 is too low of launch and with the spin numbers that high you probably don't have enough loft or the right shaft. 12* and 2500 rpms of spin would be good and should be your average instead of your best.

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a new driver and have it narrowed down to these three (for now) after reading the reviews here, checking out the "hot list" issue, etc. I was initially interested in the L5V as I'm a Cobra guy right now. I read that it was a low spin, high launch head, but the stock shaft is garbage (for me). I've also read great things about the Adams 9015/6. Last added to the list is the new Burner TP. Not even sure if it's out yet, but was also reviewed as a low spin head.

I had the Adams A3 last year but went back to my Cobra after breaking 3 shafts inside the club (the stock 55-x DVS). Was certainly more forgiving that but no longer.

Either way, I'm certainly interested in keeping spin down and going deep. My SS can get into the upper 130's with my stock Cobra, but probably average in the upper teens to low 20's, so any shaft recommendations would be most appreciated- again, looking to keep it lower. I usually hit up on the ball but my spin is still in the 2.5-3.5k range- higher if I hit it straight on. I never hit down. Launch angle is in the 9-12 range.

ProLaunch Red? Whiteboard? V2? Any weight opinions? I have a slow backswing but go after the ball.

I got the 8.5* L5V a couple of weeks ago and found the diamana red 60 that came with it to be an absolute garbage. So I have changed it to a real diamana red 73 s and it's much much better! Very low spin (maybe too low for me). I heard that it was suppose to be high launch but have found that I can't get this thing that high at all. I play to about a 3-5 and never found it hard to get anything high at all. Well, it's definately not as high as my L4V. This is not so good as I live in thailand where all the courses are very soft and the ball doesn't roll anyway. Possibly going back to my L4V with GD throttle. Any interest in this low Bomber, let me know.

9-12 is too low of launch and with the spin numbers that high you probably don't have enough loft or the right shaft. 12* and 2500 rpms of spin would be good and should be your average instead of your best.
Hello All,

I have absolutely no doubt that I don't have the right shaft. Working on that. I'm really thinking about moving out the stock Aldila NV-X stiff flex (60g) and moving in a V2 LD-3 that I have in another club. I've also noticed that I seem to hit it a little lower in the simulator than I do outside. Hmm.

This might be a fix for my current driver, but am interested in that L5V. Not so much the Adams anymore after hitting it. Nobody mentioned the TP. Is it not out yet or just not that great?

Thanks again!

I just hit the A4 yesterday (indoors- still cold in NH) and wasn't blown away. Felt alright, but the numbers didn't tell me to run out and get it. The pro-shop I went to only had one and it was a 9.5* with the stock S flex. My old Cobra I'm using is a 7.5* also with the stock S flex- so it's not exactly apples to apples. The spin and distance were no better. I actually lost a bit of distance. Probably due to very high ball flight (9.5 vs. 7.5).

Either way, I was wondering how you were able to find an L5V with a ProLaunch Red. Everywhere I've been to only has the stock RedBoard and never an 8.5*. It's a bit frustrating when you have to special order something just to hit it.

What were you ball speed, launch and spin numbers with both drivers?

I don't remember what the differences were off-hand. I'll go back soon and take notes. I do remember that with my current driver, my ball speed average was in the mid 170's. I don't recall what the Adams numbers were, but now I'm curious to review. Thanks and I'll post when I find out.

I don't remember what the differences were off-hand. I'll go back soon and take notes. I do remember that with my current driver, my ball speed average was in the mid 170's. I don't recall what the Adams numbers were, but now I'm curious to review. Thanks and I'll post when I find out.

C'mon. No idea? Something smells here. You should know those #'s like your address if you have been doing what you said. My 1st time to the launch monitor was an eye opener. I have a SS that gets up there too, but can't beleive you still play the shafts you do. Did you just start playing? Something does not compute.

How can u say "I spin it way too much", and have no idea how much that is?

I locked in my averages like it was my new phone number! Vey important, as u know, if ur going to compare club to club. Why even waste ur time on a monitor, with those shafts, when they're not going to do you a bit of good. Your #'s will be skewed regardless.

I would throw any opinion or observation you made out, about any head, until you get some real shafts in each head, to do a fair comparison. Otherwise, it's like driving a Ford Focus and saying I really want a Ferrarri!!

C'mon. No idea? Something smells here. You should know those #'s like your address if you have been doing what you said. My 1st time to the launch monitor was an eye opener. I have a SS that gets up there too, but can't beleive you still play the shafts you do. Did you just start playing? Something does not compute.

How can u say "I spin it way too much", and have no idea how much that is?

I locked in my averages like it was my new phone number! Vey important, as u know, if ur going to compare club to club. Why even waste ur time on a monitor, with those shafts, when they're not going to do you a bit of good. Your #'s will be skewed regardless.

I would throw any opinion or observation you made out, about any head, until you get some real shafts in each head, to do a fair comparison. Otherwise, it's like driving a Ford Focus and saying I really want a Ferrarri!!

What could possibly smell here? I'm just trying to get some advice because I AM relatively new to dealing with anything but stock equipment. One of my friends directed me to this site a few months ago for some education on what's out there past stock equip. I'm here to learn, seriously. Because I can hit the ball relatively hard doesn't mean I know anything about what I'm hitting it with. Like I said, I'm trying to learn. Also I don't think I ever said "I spin it way too much". In my first post, I stated the numbers I remembered, not including ball speed. I'll certainly be taking notes on my next trip.

The more I read on this site the more I do agree with you about the observations of stock equipment vs. appropriate gear for your swing. It's pretty silly to compare my stock driver to something I probably should be swinging with. The problems are that the places I go don't really have clubs in stock that I should be using and I am on a limited budget.

This newbie appreciates all constructive information and patience.

Those numbers that you say you have, have never got posted, so someone can make a true evaluation of your swing. That's all. Here's your opputunity to get some real help but you left all the vital info out.

It's ok if you dont average 126mph, but how are you going to get proper critiquing if you are not straight with the people on this board? Everyone wants to "jack" their numbers up, but it's only gonna get you jacked up responses.

Post what you have and live with it. If you are new to the #'s game, then realize they are very important if you want to get better and maximize your talent, that's all.

Good luck in finding the right club and make sure you get some solid #'s so u can get the advice you need. With the SS u have, it will be worth it.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your advice. I really do. I understand that the numbers and info I get out of here are only as good as the numbers I put in. Knowing this, I'd never "jack" my numbers. I agree, I'd get useless info. I'm really looking to improve my swing/equipment and overall game.

I couldn't agree with you more about the numbers being meaningless trying to track them with my current driver. I'm going to re-shaft it with my V2-LD3 and get a starting point. So to really understand, the key numbers I should pay attention to are:

1)Swing Speed

2)Ball Speed

3)Launch Angle

4)Ball Spin

5)Equipment Data (Shaft, head, face angle, etc.)

Anything else that someone would need to get an accurate evaluation?

Thanks again.