2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Any Lefty Girls?

etsix

Have never seen any Pro's or amatuers
Has anyone ever seen a woman golfer that is left handed. Im almost positive that there aren't any on the LPGA Tour, maybe wrong. I also never notice any women around the club that are left handed. Im guessing beause either their dads or husbands say "No just use my right handed clubs" if their naturally left handed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There currently NO LPGA players that are left handed.

There are only 6 left handers on the PGA Tour and only about 10% of all golfer play from the left side. 13% of the worlds population are lefties.

Len Mattiace, Greg Norman, & Curtis Strange to name a few were born left-handed but play from the right due to the fact that no equipment was made for left handers at the time they began their golfing careers and it was just easier to play from ther right.

My daughter is a lefty but can hit balls from both sides equally well and she is only 4, it is easier for her because she does not think about it. Wish it was that easy now.

Other famous lefties:

Julius Caesar

Albert Einstein

Charlie Chaplin

John McEnroe

Martina Navratilova

Prince William

Bart Simpson

Bill Clinton

Hillary Clinton

George Bush Sr/Jr

Barack Obama

The BBC is a great source of information!

Also See: Famous Left Handers

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

A couple of years ago I was a walking scorer with a group that had a LH gal at the LPGA Safeway Classic in Portland. I do not recall her name and am sure she was a non-exempt player at the time.

As a walking scorer, you spend a lot of time making sure you and the standard bearer are not in the eyesight of the players as they prepare for a shot. I just remember it being pretty awkward for a few holes until I could remember she was a southpaw.

I'm lefty in all other things, but play golf right handed......just the way I was taught.

Boom Bapp......I believe The Golden Bear is natually left handed and I know Phil Mickelson is natually right handed.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Paula Creamer is also naturally LH but plays from the right side.

Woo

A couple of years ago I was a walking scorer with a group that had a LH gal at the LPGA Safeway Classic in Portland. I do not recall her name and am sure she was a non-exempt player at the time.

As a walking scorer, you spend a lot of time making sure you and the standard bearer are not in the eyesight of the players as they prepare for a shot. I just remember it being pretty awkward for a few holes until I could remember she was a southpaw.

I'm lefty in all other things, but play golf right handed......just the way I was taught.

Boom Bapp......I believe The Golden Bear is natually left handed and I know Phil Mickelson is natually right handed.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Paula Creamer is also naturally LH but plays from the right side.

Woo

I just finished reading an article with Jack and Gary player, Jack stated that Phil and Bob Charles were Righties who played left and Ben Hogan was born a Lefty who played right-handed. Learn something new everyday, Ben Hogan a lefty, never knew that.

I cannot find anything stating that Jack is left handed and from what I have read so far makes me believe he is a natrual right hander.

Who truly knows except Jack himself.

Article: THE PRESIDENTS CUP

From my personal experiance, Left-handed people are more often the most intelligent of persuasion and have historically been the smartest people on the planet. My wife and daughter are both lefties and nothing short of owning a high IQ.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I cannot find anything stating that Jack is left handed and from what I have read so far makes me believe he is a natrual right hander.

Who truly knows except Jack himself.

Article: THE PRESIDENTS CUP

In hindsight, I think I was thinking of Ben Hogan.......my bad.

Your new president as well as HW and Clinton.....all lefties. I always joke that I can predict the election by noting the lefty........but McCain is a southpaw as well.

Woo

There is a lefty girl named Lydia Gumm who I have watched growing up and playing. I remember seeing her in 3rd grade shoot 39 in a girls match with a 3 putt on the last hole. She is now in 7th or 8th grade and a 2 time defending Miss Golf in Kentucky. If she doesnt get burned out, she is a virtual lock for big D-1 golf and possibly the LPGA.

I'm a lefty woman. Thankfully, I can hit men's clubs or I would have extremely limited choices in clubs. My first set was handed down to me by my grandfather, also a lefty. I learned on his vintage clubs before I came to my current set up. I actually see a few lefty women at the range every so often around here in Los Angeles. Being a lefty makes going to the range with my husband fun (he's a righty) since we can face each other and make comments about what went wrong with a particular swing and whatnot as we practice.

I get disoriented at times paying too much attention to rightys playing golf since I really am a true lefty in all sports (surfing, snowboarding, baseball, etc.) and write and hold my eating utensils with my left hand. I even have my computer mouse on the left side. I wish there were more lefty women to watch but one of my instructors turns pros around on his computer screen so that I can see swings the way I would do them.

I know there are more lefty women on this site as well...aren't there?

I'm a lefty woman. Thankfully, I can hit men's clubs or I would have extremely limited choices in clubs. My first set was handed down to me by my grandfather, also a lefty. I learned on his vintage clubs before I came to my current set up. I actually see a few lefty women at the range every so often around here in Los Angeles. Being a lefty makes going to the range with my husband fun (he's a righty) since we can face each other and make comments about what went wrong with a particular swing and whatnot as we practice.

I get disoriented at times paying too much attention to rightys playing golf since I really am a true lefty in all sports (surfing, snowboarding, baseball, etc.) and write and hold my eating utensils with my left hand. I even have my computer mouse on the left side. I wish there were more lefty women to watch but one of my instructors turns pros around on his computer screen so that I can see swings the way I would do them.

I know there are more lefty women on this site as well...aren't there?

Apryl, I am a lefty, but not in golf. I was writing with both hands as a kid (half way across the page with left and handing the pencil to the right for the rest of the line), so they made me choose a hand and I chose left. But I play sports including golf right handed. I eat and write left handed.

I know a guy at my club who was so bad as a righty he switched to playing golf left handed.

My girlfriend plays from the left side. Fortunately she's 5'9" and has pretty decent swing speed so she fits well into men's sticks. I think she plays a senior flex in her driver and fairway woods and then regular flex in her irons and wedges. Her ex was a golf pro and set her up pretty nice with Taylormade from top to bottom.

Titleist TS3 10.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 70
Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80
Titleist TS2 21* w/ Diamana Litd. D+ White 80
Titleist U500 4i w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist T100-S 5-PW (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 50.12F Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Vokey SM8 60.12D Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 34.5” (Heavy)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

Yeah, that is why I am fortunate at 5'10" - I can hit men's regular flex. I know a gentleman that has a very petite daughter that is a natural lefty like myself and he has a really hard time finding clubs for her.

For the record, my father does everything lefty except golf. I just can't do it. I can play baseball, tennis, and ping pong ambidextrously but golf, surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, and a few others are not an option. I find it really interesting that Phil is actually a righty that plays lefty.

I have noticed more and more lefty clubs at demo days and even more attention to lefty women. There are certain manufacturers out there that just don't have ANY lefty clubs and I've never been able to try them out. When you grow up as a lefty you get accustomed to having to conform to the world. Fortunately, I believe that is changing with golf. I tried to hit righty and it was really absurd. I hit a 6 iron like 30 feet. Nice.

***OOPS ***

I just realized that I am logged in to the computer as Matt - he is a righty - this post was written by Apryl, the lefty. This is what happens when you share a computer and a golf addiction!

:busted2:

My wife is also a lefty, I beg her to join the game and when she finally agrred to give it a try I spent lots of times getting her equipment. She's not tall (5'2") so senior equipment won't do it, I finally get her a set of Cobra irons and Nike woods.

I think is great that couples golf together, here in Puerto Rico is very strange to see that but I still think it is a good thing to do. So keep up!!!

Tito Morales

I have a duaghter that is 4 that is right handed like me and hits it left handed, we bought her a set of plastic clubs and she was hitting them backwards ( left handed) so we didnt fight it. The next hurdle was to find clubs for a 4 year old that left handed, good news we found pink clubs shafts and all left handed by precise, so even though i thought it be tough to find anything at all it shows all can be found with google just wish the internet was big in 1988 when i first staarted playing at age 4 !!!!!

My wife plays golf as a lefty. Has played for about four years. The second year she played right handed to see how that would work, stuck with it for a year before deciding her distance and control was better playing left so she switched back.

While waiting to get all lefthanded clubs again she played a lefthanded driver and putter with righthanded irons. It was a hoot to watch. She had no problem switching back and forth.

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

I'm a lefty golfer... I actually write and eat right-handed (was forced to switch when I was young), but I'm heavily left-eye dominant and tried to play both righty and lefty before realizing that I'm better as a lefty golfer.

Like others here, I've opted to simply play men's clubs (some in senior flex, some in regular flex).

• 3 weeks later...

My mom is left handed. She can do everything ambidextrous, but for golf she's learning from her natural left side. Finding women's left handed clubs is not easy. Since she's a beginner and I got her a 7 wood, 6 iron, 9 iron, and putter all left and ladies. I had to buy each club individually. The funny thing she does on occasion-- after my dad and I(both rightys) tee off, she'll go up to the ball and address her stance from the right side. Not knowing she's on her wrong side, my dad and I crack up in laughter. Finally my mom notices the mistake, and say its our fault and that she was only following our lead. I wonder if my dad didn't stop her, she'll hit the ball with the back of her iron.

I wonder if Phil Mickelson would be a better player, than he is now, if he learned from his natural right side. Or any player that has switched away from their natural side. But then again, Rafael Nadal hits forehands from his left though he's a natural righty and he's ranked #1 with six-and-counting grand slam titles.

All the women in my wife's family is left handed and she is the only person who plays golf left handed. All the others, sisters, mom, play from the right side.

for Minty7890: my wife is left handed and we have a ton of used left handed stuff around our house. PM me or post here and maybe we can meet up for clubs for your mom. I see you're in LA...I am in Orange County. Meeting up should be easy.

• 1 month later...

I have always played left-handed and written with my left hand although I use my husband's golf clubs at the range to hit right-handed as well (it's good for the pendulum, you know!). As a lefty, it is easier for me to learn from a right-handed golfer; it's like looking into a mirror.

"It all depends on the way you see the ball," said Peter Johnson, club pro at the Vale of Glamorgan resort near Cardiff.

"When you stand facing the ball, which way do you visualise it leaving you?" he said.

--Stacy

[email protected]

Golf for Beginners@Worldgolf.com

Lefty here too!

My husband told me to start in the rightside because the Ladie's lefty club was very difficult to find.

He gave me to his old clubs and I tried rightside.

However, I was too difficult to hit the ball and so frustrated.

But I was so easy and fun to swing backwards, I did the switch in one month.

<sorry to poor sentences....English is my 2nd language>

• 2 weeks later...