2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

B330rx vs vapor vs ?????

laseranimal

Well I just went back to my stash of ta2 spn balls and I'm running low enough that I'm not going to make it through the year which means I'm going to have to test a new ball this year

I took the RX for a quick spin last year and was underwhelmed. I obviously need more then a three ball sleeve to really judge the ball but I'd really like a lot more wedge spin and a touch more workablity off the irons.

I see that Nike has a new performance three piece for those of us with sub 100 mph swings and I know taylormades black and red ldps performed well in robot testing

Anything else in the $30-40 range I'm missing?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played the old NXT tour, which was fine but unless there's more spin on the newer one I'd rather jump up and pay the extra $10 for a urethane ball which is going to spin more

To me it seems like the NXT tour set of balls(Bite/Burner TP/Trispeed) are geared towards people who want a distance ball that doesn't feel like a rock around the greens

I'm looking for a ball that spins a ton around the greens that's cheaper then $45 a box. I could care less what my driver distance loss winds up being.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny you seem like me right now . I swing around 95 miles an hour & went to the Bridgestone site & took an online ball fitting for whatever thats worth . Not much probably . Anyhow after punching in my info their little program recommended the 330S . Maybe you might want to try that . I think I check out the two Taylormades red/black & the 330s . See which works best . I used to play the Blackmax for years & loved it . You can find those for cheap on some sites as was pointed out to me but I feel kind of experimental .Like I need to freshen up or something . If none of those workout then maybe I try the 330rx . Hopefully not though . Three boxes at over 100 clams is enough . I got a dozen 12 packs of Blackmaxs at ten bucks a piece a couple of years back . These three boxes will cost about that .

Funny you seem like me right now . I swing around 95 miles an hour & went to the Bridgestone site & took an online ball fitting for whatever thats worth . Not much probably . Anyhow after punching in my info their little program recommended the 330S . Maybe you might want to try that . I think I check out the two Taylormades red/black & the 330s . See which works best . I used to play the Blackmax for years & loved it . You can find those for cheap on some sites as was pointed out to me but I feel kind of experimental .Like I need to freshen up or something . If none of those workout then maybe I try the 330rx . Hopefully not though . Three boxes at over 100 clams is enough . I got a dozen 12 packs of Blackmaxs at ten bucks a piece a couple of years back . These three boxes will cost about that .

I too swing 95. 100 with a little effort and also went to the ball fitting site. My results were a bit confusing. No matter what swing speed I input, the result was a B330.

One of the other factors overrode the swing speed, and on the 6 th receipe, I got the B330RX result. So much for all the hype about the ball for 95 ers. Anyway I purchased some B330RX. No noticable increase in distance, except for into about a 25 to 30 headwind where I probably swung 100. Not a high spin ball. It's just an O.K. ball.

Not worth $42.

I guess I should have researched before I bought a dozen b330-rx's.

I have not opened them yet, maybe golfsmith would let me swap them out for something different?

So if I can swap them out, what should I try? I want a soft feeling ball that will spin for me around the green, but still have some good distance(but the greenside spin is more important)

I'm looking at maybe the srixon z-star, or the new pro-v1/x.

Which of those will spin more off irons, and around the green. And distances?

Thanks

Tried the new NXT Tour, and it is an improvement over the old NXT Tour

After two rounds REALLY early season so mud, snow and GUSTY winds. One of my favorite places to test golf balls is on Par 3 courses. I find for me most balls go about the same distance off the driver and the 5-10 yards I'd gain/lose isn't going to make or break my game.

I've discovered the following about the NXT Tour

Seems to spin less off the woods and irons then the TA2 SPN so I gained probably 1/2 a club vs the TA2 SPN. Although it was difficult to judge given that I was playing in 15-40 mph winds :russian_roulette:

Its a flatter and higher trajectory then the TA2 SPN and less workable side to side but adjusts up and down much easier. Many times I'd hit shots and immediately start barking "get down, get down" only to have the ball land the right distance or short of target. Knockdowns were a joy with the NXT Tour as they'd stay low instead of floating like with the TA2 SPN.

Greens were very wet so the NXT Tour grabs very nicely but doesn't spin back. Playable around the greens enabling me to play all my shots, in the wet I enjoyed the "heavier" feel of the NXT Tour, but the true test will come when the greens get faster.

The NXT tour feels DEAD off the putterface and requires a much firmer stroke to go the same distance as the TA2 SPN. Slight bonus is that it allows you to be a bit more aggressive on putts without fearing that the ball is going to get away from you. Again greens very soft and slow, due to their smaller size normally we get them running pretty smooth at 7/8(any faster and they won't hold well hit shots) If I had to guess they were pretty close to 4/5

Overall impressions were: Impressed with the higher but flatter trajectory, bummed about lack of workability, surprised by greenside performance, undecided on the feel.

Next up I'm going to try a sleeve of HX Hot Bites and then probably the Vapor and E7+ then move up to the premium balls. I'm hoping one of these balls can give me a similar trajectory but go side to side better with a touch softer feel, not that the NXT was bad, just different, I'm sure if I played a whole season with them I could get used to it

Been playing the Callaway Hot Bites for about a year now. They are long and spin a lot, and I am not a high spin player at all, so they are perfect for my game. The feel off the putter is soft with enough "click" for me. The only problem I have with these balls is that they shred so incredibly badly. Anybody that plays with maxed out groove sizes on their wedges will be going through a ball after every full wedge. I even get a decent sized scuff on half wedge pitches, but the ball is still playable after a couple of those. I go through at least 2 balls every 9. In the long run, it's cheaper to buy premium balls as long as they are more durable than the hot bites.

How are the Nike One Vapors in terms of spin and durability?

How are the Nike One Vapors in terms of spin and durability?

I put a Vapor into play for the first time this weekend. I'm testing half a dozen different balls at the moment so it was up against a Z-URC and a Nike One Tour (6 holes each). Durability for the Vapor looks poor on first impressions, even compared to the Tour. I managed to take a 'wedge bite' out of the Vapor with, of all things, a 4 iron! The Vapor ended up in the worst condition of the three by some margin.

Too early to tell re. spin but on gut feel it was third out of three (as I expected).

well I got out today with the HX Bites and to a lesser extent the One Vapor

So far in limited testing the Vapor is my least favorite ball of the three I've tested

Its unbelievably soft off the putter, normally I like that but in this case it just feels very vague with poor feedback. Off the tee its the longest of the three, but we're talking < 6 yards difference. Again like with the putter, very soft off the irons, but unfortunately it seems not to like to shape, the most I was able to move it was 5-7 yards. If you like to work the ball on different trajectories and shot shapes, this really isn't the ball for you. Greenside performance was similar to the Bridgestone B330 RX, so its not going to light the dance floor on fire by dropping and stopping. I still want one more full round with it, but the Vapor seems more like a softer, less spiny Black then a Platinum geared towards slower swingers. If you want a ball that goes long but is still soft around the greens, I'd put the Vapor up there.

The battle now appears to be NXT Tour vs HX Bite and this one is much more of a toss up. The Bite has the most spin of the balls tested, but again its not anywhere near what you get from the V1/Platinum/B330s. However on first impression I'd say its pretty close to some of the lower spin premiums like the V1x/Black. Bite rolls well off the putter, not too firm, not too soft and is dreamy with the wedges, the Bite's cover feels like the grooves get more grip then they do with other non-urethane covered balls. Off the irons and woods, I preferred the NXT as the Bite seems to balloon into the wind and doesn't hold its line in a crosswind as well as the NXT. The Bite's did however allow for a greater variance in shot shape.