2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

ANNOYING (and not) GOLFER HABITS/THINGS/ETIQUETTE

[quote name='sigmapete1' timestamp='1397761711' post='9113449']
[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385127994' post='8189334']
[quote name='import49erz' timestamp='1239510462' post='1622784']
Couple things that really piss me off.

Played a round at a shorter course a couple months ago so me and my friend decided to play from the blue tees. So we got paired up with the these 2 hackers and thats when it went all down hill:

- first hole - topped driver (it happens so I let it go)
- so he got to about 200 yards from the hole (up hill), and he was out but he just kept standing there waiting for the green to clear (he topped it and advanced 50 yds only) - noticed they were hackers here
[/quote]

As a new golfer, I'm kind of purusing this thread to see if there are any etiquette things I'm missing, but is seems a bit of this is people that just can't tolorate poor golfers. I CAN and have hit my hybrid 200 yards, so yeah, if I'm that far out and someone is on the green I'm going to wait just in case I get into it. That doesn't mean I WILL get it flush though, and topping isn't unlikely. I'm not sure the better choice is risking hitting into someone on the green because I PROBABLY won't get it there. I'd rather way an extra minute and a half than risk hitting someone.
[/quote]

You've got it right. Don't worry. If there is a small or even very small chance you may reach someone, you don't hit the ball. The extra pace of play you pick up on that one shot (which incidentally is irrelevant as long as you keep up with the group ahead for the rest of the round) is not worth the risk of hitting someone in the head with a golf ball. Maybe the people whining about you waiting should be the ones to explain to the guy's wife that their husband is dead because it is important to keep up the pace of play.

Waiting for a green to clear is NEVER a bad thing.
[/quote]
I just tell whoever I'm playing with, "I'm probably not going to reach the green. But it is possible so I'm going to wait.". They may be muttering to themselves but out loud they always say something like, "OK. No problem. That makes sense."

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While our foursome was teeing off, so were another foursome on an adjacent tee. One of our guys was ready to hit, while a guy on the other tee hit his, and he yelled "BAM" at the top of his lungs. He was the type that is full off pss and vinager, and if we were to say anything to him he probably would have tryed to start something. Such people shouldn't be allowed to golf, period.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1397773625' post='9114675']
While our foursome was teeing off, so were another foursome on an adjacent tee. One of our guys was ready to hit, while a guy on the other tee hit his, and he yelled "BAM" at the top of his lungs. He was the type that is full off pss and vinager, and if we were to say anything to him he probably would have tryed to start something. Such people shouldn't be allowed to golf, period.
[/quote] Unfortunately those are the types of people that are supposedly growing the game. Loud, take all day to play and do not rake a bunker or fix ball marks.

Annoying:
- People who don't take care of the course
- People who give me advice on what/when/how I hit a shot
- People who hit my ball. Course has #9 and #1 adjacent. #9 is a 90 degree dogleg right par 5. I hit it through the fairway most of the time (a lot of people do) and it opens up the approach angle. Between the two fairways is 40 yards of rough. No joke 3 weeks in a row last year at league my ball was hit by a player on #1. My ball is clearly marked with pink and twice it was the same guy who doesn't even mark his...
- Our course is completely surrounded and intertwined by a creek. 4 dog legs on the front 9 that you can't see around the corner. There are 2 older guys that run the course backwards in their carts picking the creek for lost balls. Drives me crazy and for the record I have hit one of their carts. He came around the corner screaming and I just kept playing without paying him any attention. I have asked them to stop this practice or at least run the course in the right direction and have got the same response every time. "They are senior members and practically built this place, sorry." So if I hit them I'm not going to care.
- Guys that can't take any flack. There's two younger kids I play with on the rare occasion who are solid sticks, if I give them any hell about hitting the ball further, or whatever else, there game goes to s***. Who raised these pussies!?
- Loud drivers!
- People who walk in my damn putting line

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

[quote name='razz11' timestamp='1397879784' post='9123289']
Annoying:
- People who don't take care of the course
- People who give me advice on what/when/how I hit a shot
- People who hit my ball. Course has #9 and #1 adjacent. #9 is a 90 degree dogleg right par 5. I hit it through the fairway most of the time (a lot of people do) and it opens up the approach angle. Between the two fairways is 40 yards of rough. No joke 3 weeks in a row last year at league my ball was hit by a player on #1. My ball is clearly marked with pink and twice it was the same guy who doesn't even mark his...
- Our course is completely surrounded and intertwined by a creek. 4 dog legs on the front 9 that you can't see around the corner. There are 2 older guys that run the course backwards in their carts picking the creek for lost balls. Drives me crazy and for the record I have hit one of their carts. He came around the corner screaming and I just kept playing without paying him any attention. I have asked them to stop this practice or at least run the course in the right direction and have got the same response every time. "They are senior members and practically built this place, sorry." So if I hit them I'm not going to care.
- Guys that can't take any flack. There's two younger kids I play with on the rare occasion who are solid sticks, if I give them any hell about hitting the ball further, or whatever else, there game goes to s***. Who raised these pussies!?
- Loud drivers!
- People who walk in my damn putting line
[/quote]
What is a "loud driver"?

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1387753979' post='8336585']
[quote name='Laznasty' timestamp='1387743840' post='8336067']
People who spend an excessive amount of time looking for their ball. Don't buy expensive balls if you are going to get upset about losing them.
[/quote]

On top of this, how about when somebody pulls out a ball retriever when the ball went in the middle of the lake?

Even worse...when the ball retriever comes out and their ball is already in play in the fairway.

EVEN WORSE..WORSE..WORSE is when this happens while people are waiting on the tee.
[/quote]

Played a great round yesterday and pace was great... BUT we had the Lewis and Clark of ball hawking in front of us. It was equal parts amusing and frustrating to watch all day. At one point one guy was on his belly with his retriever going for balls that had to be 20 feet off the shore line. It was funny because he was on the verge of going in the drink multiple times and he also lost his shoe in some muck. I did ask him after the round how many balls he scooped today and he said atleast 3 dozen. Good lord

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I pulled up to the 14th tee today and saw a couple of beer cans laying on the ground, with the garbage container just 10 yards behind these cans. Who has raised such slobs? where do people like this come from? forcing someone else to clean up after them. Kids are more disciplined and respectful then these so-called golfers!

Is that Rammler Tom? I played Bello woods today saw a girl and a guy playing girl scream/swears at the top of her lungs cause she topped a shot then drove away blaring music from the golf cart.

My dad has been teaching me golf etiquette long before he would even let me out on a driving range let alone the course. There needs to be a class people should take before being allowed on the course.

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1397938991' post='9126215']
Is that Rammler Tom? I played Bello woods today saw a girl and a guy playing girl scream/swears at the top of her lungs cause she topped a shot then drove away blaring music from the golf cart.

My dad has been teaching me golf etiquette long before he would even let me out on a driving range let alone the course. There needs to be a class people should take before being allowed on the course.
[/quote]Yes it was Smish, I played 18 today. I have said the same thing before, golfers should have the opportunity to take a class that includes golf ettiquette, pertinent rules, and so on, which would give them a slight discount at golf courses. Doubt it would ever happen, and wonder if it would change the undisciplined golfers? I was by myself in a cart and played 18 holes in 2.5 hours. Shot an 86 today, as it's going to take a month or so to clean up my game. How'd your round at BW's go?

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1397939961' post='9126273']
Not to bad. I am finally getting comfortable with my driver. Hit 7 fairways. I had few to many hazards and a couple of 3 putts. So I got out with a 105. Sitting on the door step of 90's if I can curb some of the bad shots.
[/quote]Step by step, it will come. I think one of the biggest issues with higher cappers is trying to do to much with one shot. I fall into this trap from time to time.

[quote name='kingheatly' timestamp='1238289458' post='1587897']
Any chop that hooks a towel to their belt loop. Also hate it when a 17 handicapper has a set of sticks that cost $3000 and a Staff Bag......which last I looked, there are about 44,000 of those guys on this site. Here's a few words of wisdom......if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.
[/quote]Heck, someone else's bag doesn't bother me, but carrying a towel is a prerequisite here in the San Francisco Bay Area. You need to clean your ball on most greens every single time, some courses drain for spit. So if this bothers you, don't come out this way.