2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

ANNOYING (and not) GOLFER HABITS/THINGS/ETIQUETTE

What bugs you, what doesn't
I wanted to throw this out there because I played a round or golf at a simple course with my gf and her family. And I had a mixed experience....not with the course but the people around me...below I listed stuff that happened that day as well as other things that just came to mind.

Let's start with the good stuff...

-I guy was nice enough to let us go in front of his foursome since his fourth has not shown up yet...I think he was in the restroom.
-My GF's grandpa knew whats up as we both took turns gettin the flagstick out and back in.
-My foursome helped me look for my ball which was nice because it was further up and mor in-play than I thought
-people give your wedge (that you forgot last hole) back when you didn't even notice it was gone
-Compliments are good
-Oh and I love when there tee time is up and they give their buckets away! WOO HOO!

The Bad

-People that tee off behind us while we are in the fairway...I stayed back and let them know whats up, I was pissed..it almost hit my GF
-People that are not ready when tee time hits...not many issues with my groups but ALWAYS with the group before mine...why is that
-Tips at the Tee Box...I'm sorta guilty but my tips are "just let it happen" or "you know you got this"....NEVER SWING TIPS...just "brain calmers"
-and OVERLY FRUSTRATED people, I'm fine with frustration on the course...but don't let me know about it while i'm swinging.

Any one else got any? good or bad?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fixing your ball marks on the green kills me. I can't stand people who don't fix their ball marks.

The other one is having to sit on a tee box on a par five or par 4 for that matter while some chop is sitting with 280+ left waiting for the green to clear this usually ends up with them duffing one 100 feet.

Good= Anyone who uses common sense and curtesy on the course.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Not fixing your ball marks on the green kills me. I can't stand people who don't fix their ball marks.

The other one is having to sit on a tee box on a par five or par 4 for that matter while some chop is sitting with 280+ left waiting for the green to clear this usually ends up with them duffing one 100 feet.

Good= Anyone who uses common sense and curtesy on the course.

ahhh, i love that one....there's a hole at my home course that's 560yds with a forced carry over water second. Every group has someone who goes for it, and this is a course where most of the players are older retired guys who don't drive 250yds let alone hit 3 wood that far (sorry don't mean to stereotype older guys, though). There's a king's ransom of Pro V1's in that pond. And i wait and wait on that tee box

Also, it should be legal to murder someone who offers unsolicited golf tips

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I wanted to throw this out there because I played a round or golf at a simple course with my gf and her family. And I had a mixed experience....not with the course but the people around me...below I listed stuff that happened that day as well as other things that just came to mind.

Let's start with the good stuff...

-I guy was nice enough to let us go in front of his foursome since his fourth has not shown up yet...I think he was in the restroom.

-My GF's grandpa knew whats up as we both took turns gettin the flagstick out and back in.

-My foursome helped me look for my ball which was nice because it was further up and mor in-play than I thought

-people give your wedge (that you forgot last hole) back when you didn't even notice it was gone

-Compliments are good

-Oh and I love when there tee time is up and they give their buckets away! WOO HOO!

The Bad

-People that tee off behind us while we are in the fairway...I stayed back and let them know whats up, I was pissed..it almost hit my GF

-People that are not ready when tee time hits...not many issues with my groups but ALWAYS with the group before mine...why is that

-Tips at the Tee Box...I'm sorta guilty but my tips are "just let it happen" or "you know you got this"....NEVER SWING TIPS...just "brain calmers"

-and OVERLY FRUSTRATED people, I'm fine with frustration on the course...but don't let me know about it while i'm swinging.

Any one else got any? good or bad?

Talking/yelling loudly on the golf course. Today, my buddy was trying to tee off when two morons on the adjoining fairway decided it was a good idea to talk "LOUDLY" about where to park the cart.

God forgive anyone who gets a bird (makes a long put), is it really necessary for all four guys to scream loudly.

I love it when its really slow out there and you get to watch the foursome in front of you tee off and for them its more of a gossip fest than golf. So they tee the ball up and turn around and talk, talk, talk like they haven't already been talking waiting for the group in front of them.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

People who carry their bags across the practice green, or any green for that matter. It probably doesn't add any measurable wear/damage on the green, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyone who lets their kid run wild at a practice facility. I don't mind noise, it actually helps my concentration level, but I don't want them to wander into my backswing path...

People who pocket clubs found on the course or at practice facilities instead of turning them in.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

The only thing that gets me is when people don't allow the fairway to clear before hitting. It's good to keep pace with the group in front but give the group at least 10-20 seconds to move away. It's obvious the dudes I play with now don't get it. I usually have honors ('cause they suck) and they always say, "dude, go." My response is always, "where's the fire?" If I can do it without holding up the group behind us, I'll let them get to the green if we're riding their butts all day, too.

People who carry their bags across the practice green, or any green for that matter. It probably doesn't add any measurable wear/damage on the green, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

I don't get it. Why would that bother you? Not like they're pulling a cart across the green.

I played today and the group in front of us was soooo slow because they did stupid stuff like this.... so they are on a 520 yard par 5 and they hit there drives about 200 yards in the fairway, meanwhile there is a group on the green, so they wait 10 min for the group on the green to clear before they hit there 2nd shot. You are not going to freeking hit your second shot 300 yards if you hit your driver 200 yards.

I don't get it. Why would that bother you? Not like they're pulling a cart across the green.

I ask myself the same question. For me maybe it's just superstition, but I can't really give you a good explanation. Maybe I'm just strange. Some people may think it's an etiquette thing, but I don't take it that far.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

I like when people choose to take off their cap when they shake your hand after a round.

I don't think it's necessary to remove your cap, but when people do it and shake my hand it makes me feel good.

Also, my buddy was tee'ing off the other day and a partially drunk hacker-type 4-some were walking past. My buddy was over his driver and I KNEW these guys were gonna pass behind us carelessly shooting the sh*t.

I couldn't believe it - they all stopped and quietly watched until he was done and then continued on "jacking around". So I guess I like being surprised that golf etiquette is a typically a universally accepted thing among hackers and players alike.

Oh, one more thing I have to add.

I am 40, but I LOVE playing with old guys that are 70+ years old and have been playing a long time. They all treat golf like a gentleman's sport - they have all the etiquette and habit's "built-in" from years of play...and they love telling you stories about when they "watched Hogan on the range" or "back in the day.."

Love that....I'd rather play with an old guy than a young +handicapper any day. You can almost feel their wisdom when you stand near them.

As much as I hate slow play and feel the PA should be on top a slow group from the second hole and kick them off if they cant keep up by the 6th. Everyone has the occational bad hole and tries to make up it on the next (as it should be). Just kepp up to the group ahead and if you are totaly out of a hole pick the friggin thing up.

I hate rushers MORE, golf is a four hour game. Just because you only have 3 guys, are giving each other 12 ft putts or can just play the course at a run in 2.5 doesnt mean we all want a sprint round, most of us want to enjoy the day too.

If the pace of play for that day is slow, relax. Hitting into the group ahead only wrecks the day for 12 people the group ahead, the group behind and your group. You cant change the whole field of play pace. If everyone just keeps up to the group ahead there is no problem

The worst is when there is a slow group ahead, the PA make them skip the 12 hole now there is a big gap and they expect every one back to the starter box to fill it. Ruins the whole round as everyone is rushing to catch up for the rest of the day.

Again I am not saying slow play is good, only a fact of life some days so relax, enjoy the day and work on your people skills.....

I like when people choose to take off their cap when they shake your hand after a round.

I don't think it's necessary to remove your cap, but when people do it and shake my hand it makes me feel good.

Good point about the hat, Something I always do when I play with new people, prob the one form of ettiquitte I have picked up from watching the tour. Plus it gives my five head about 20 seconds of well needed sun :hi:

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Bad stuff -

1. Slow play, unless the entire course is backed up, then I can sorta understand.

2. Golfers who smoke that drop ash on the greens leaving burn marks.....

3. People that cast a shadow over my line when I putt.

4. Bad golfers who have all the latest gear, give you advice on how to play your home course and critique every shot you make.

5. Golfers who pull out their rangefinder and shoot the flag.......thats still 280 away.

6. People that use carts and race up to my tee box and sit there while I'm in the middle of teeing off.

7. Sunflower seed chewers who spit shells anywhere near the green or tee box.

Good stuff-

1. The guy that bought me and my friend lunch and drinks for signing his scorecard after witnessing him ace a par 3.

2. Enjoying a round with a senior player that still can shoot low.

3. The smell of fresh cut greens and fairways on a summer morning.

4. Being invited into the 19th hole for a pint after a round by someone who was a complete stranger 4 1/2 hours earlier...and enjoying it.

5. People that take off their hats and shake your hand after putting out on 18.

6. Golfers that are excited that you just shot your lowest score or had a great day.

Two days ago practicing on a chipping green I look over and two 55-60 year old ladies are picking up balls 40 yards out in the range because they're too cheap to pay at the machine 10 yards away.

They immediately come over and start hitting balls all over the chipping green, starting of course aiming at the hole I'm hitting to. They leave 30-40 balls on the green without picking them up, put the rest in their bag (for the water holes I guess), get a cart and then go tee off.

Nice work ladies.

people that don't look at the markings on a ball to make sure it is theirs.

people that hit into my group

holding up the course because you want to flirt with teh cart girl. You are NOT casanova. She's looking for a good tip, not a date. Hit your ball and don't take 10 minutes talking to her when its clear ahead of you, you can hit, and there is a group sitting on the tee box behind you.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Any chop that hooks a towel to their belt loop. Also hate it when a 17 handicapper has a set of sticks that cost $3000 and a Staff Bag......which last I looked, there are about 44,000 of those guys on this site. Here's a few words of wisdom......if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.

Nice to have you here.... :russian_roulette:

I do that occasionally on certain holes on the course. I thought about it and figure I weigh 160 with my clothes on, add how much for golf bag? Plenty of lardos putting a heck of lot more pressue on them. :D

So here's mine

Good

- When my reg playing partners will point out I've been setting up left or right of target after seeing it a few times. It's an issue of mine.

- Guys who mark thier ball and ask "that okay?" is it's even close to my line, tell me when it's OK to pull it, let me know they feel I'm away and "go ahead". A little communication on the green makes things smoother I feel.

- Players who are patient and have fun out there, not getting all uptight over stupid crap . It's a game and let's face it, most of us aren't that good, no need act like you should be shooting par when you avg. mid 80's.

Bad

- Players who get all pissed off and piss and moan all round. This is my day off and I'm trying to enjoy it.

- Swing "advice" from a stranger.

- Anyone who tees off when I'm in the fairway. I don't stand for that 1 bit.

- Players who will pick up or play your ball. If it's not yours, don't touch it. I embarassed the crap of a guy one time. I hit only a little block in the RR on an opening par 5 at a course I'd never played. A guy comes up the 9th hole and sure enough hits my ball. Fortunately he duffed it right at me. I picked it up and walked over to where he is. "What are you doing?" he says. "Unless you are playing a ProV #2 with a black line and a Libery Mutual logo on it too, you hit my ball." I said loudly. "What!!??" he says, and I show him. The look on his face and his playing partners faces was classic. They were definitely playing for $$. They looked about ready to kick his Word not allowed. lol.

Oh, one more thing I have to add.

I am 40, but I LOVE playing with old guys that are 70+ years old and have been playing a long time. They all treat golf like a gentleman's sport - they have all the etiquette and habit's "built-in" from years of play...and they love telling you stories about when they "watched Hogan on the range" or "back in the day.."

Love that....I'd rather play with an old guy than a young +handicapper any day. You can almost feel their wisdom when you stand near them.

I totally agree with you

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Deliberately slow play in front of me -- and the guys denying my request to allow us to play through -- will get to me, but this doesn't happen often. And when I'm forced to wait, I generally strike the ball better and shoot lower scores.

But I'm with the previous poster who hates rushers riding your tail. When I play I like to move along. I'm not going to run, though, and I do not play slow.

For a runners' group, however, this is not good enough. And did you ever notice that a runners' group never rides your tail when the course is open in front of you? No, the sprinters always ride your tail when you're forced to wait in reasonable measures of time. Then the sprinters are behind you yelling and making noise.

A group of jackasses led by a senior jackass was doing that to a buddy and me last year when I stood off to the side of a green and waved them through. They played up in carts, of course, and senior jackass attended the flag, never pulling it, and he batted away the other players' balls when their lag putts or chips got to within four feet or so of the hole. Then the jackasses rushed off without so much as a thank you.

Jackasses.

ANNOYING:

• Golfers with a bluetooth

• Coin jinglers

• Slow 3 some or 4 that wont let a lightning fast 2 some pass.

• early tee times

• closed snack shacks

• dirty hand handshakes

• guys that stand behind my line trying to get a read off my putt

• on course phone calls

• brushtees

• guys that lecture me about how they hit it farther because they have a new shaft in their one wood, it's called a"dianana"

• sunflower seeds

• people that leave their bag on the wrong side of the green

• guys that wear two gloves

• guys that wear two while putting

• the USGA

• being 4 over par

• loud music in the parking lot

• forgetting your putter

• male beverage cart girls

not ANNOYING:

• hot beverage cart girls

God forgive anyone who gets a bird (makes a long put), is it really necessary for all four guys to scream loudly.

I had quite the opposite experience a couple weeks ago. My buddy putted out for birdie and we all told him nice putt or something to that affect. Apparently, it wasn't enough for him and he complained that we weren't excited enough for him.

First of all, I'm not a big "high five" kind of guy. I'll tell you nice shot and whatnot, but I'm not going to hug you for chipping it in from the fringe. Sorry, not going to happen.

So, on his next tee shot, he proceeded to slice the ball into the rough as I was yelling "GET IN THE HOLE!"