ANNOYING (and not) GOLFER HABITS/THINGS/ETIQUETTE

Any chop that hooks a towel to their belt loop. Also hate it when a 17 handicapper has a set of sticks that cost $3000 and a Staff Bag......which last I looked, there are about 44,000 of those guys on this site. Here's a few words of wisdom......if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.

Why exactly does this bother you? Petty jealousy perhaps?

These posts never cease to amaze me. Why in God's name would someone's personal belongings have such an affect on another. If this is how one chooses to spend one's money, so be it. SO many other things to worry yourself over...

By the way, I got a stand bag but it says Titleist on it- that OK with you? I fall sufficiently under any handicap requirements you may toss out there so I assume yes...

As another poster said- welcome!!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deliberately slow play in front of me -- and the guys denying my request to allow us to play through -- will get to me, but this doesn't happen often. And when I'm forced to wait, I generally strike the ball better and shoot lower scores.

But I'm with the previous poster who hates rushers riding your tail. When I play I like to move along. I'm not going to run, though, and I do not play slow.

For a runners' group, however, this is not good enough. And did you ever notice that a runners' group never rides your tail when the course is open in front of you? No, the sprinters always ride your tail when you're forced to wait in reasonable measures of time. Then the sprinters are behind you yelling and making noise.

A group of jackasses led by a senior jackass was doing that to a buddy and me last year when I stood off to the side of a green and waved them through. They played up in carts, of course, and senior jackass attended the flag, never pulling it, and he batted away the other players' balls when their lag putts or chips got to within four feet or so of the hole. Then the jackasses rushed off without so much as a thank you.

Jackasses.

This sort of thing drives me crazy. One time I was playing a round with my friends and we were playing at a good pace. The group behind us was on our tail the whole front 9, and at one point I watched them on the green while our group teed off. They all picked up if it was inside of 8 feet. Of course you're going to play faster if you're picking those up! We let them play through at the turn, and they just gave us an angry glare as they went on.

The other day during twilight hours, I got paired up with an elderly couple (visiting from California) and a high schooler.

I will admit, I was stereotyping them from the get-go and I am a bit ashamed of it. The elderly man was wearing jean shorts and a tee-shirt (which I don't have a problem with, unless it's a really nice course). His wife was also wearing jean shorts and they both had a set of really old clubs without headcovers on the woods.

The teenager was a bit scruffy; kind of looked like a punk to be honest. He was rocking a knock off set of Callaway X-18s.

So, as I was on the first tee, I was thinking to myself "Great, this is going to be a long freaking day." I couldn't have been more wrong. I immediately struck up a conversation with the teenager, whom I found out was from an area of Tampa that my parents plan on moving to. We talked pretty much the entire round and I found out this dad is actually in Air Force weather, same as myself.

The elderly couple lacked "proper etiquette" but they were two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. The elderly woman would tee the ball up on every shot between the tee and green and they both walked across putting lines very casually. But after about 2 or 3 holes, it just didn't bother me. They were just such nice people, I enjoyed their company much more than I disapproved of their lack of etiquette.

Even the elderly gentlemen using his putter to dig his golf ball out of the hole didn't bother me. Usually it really "grinds me gears," but it just didn't really phase me. I ended up playing fairly well because I was just so relaxed around the people in my group. It was quite . . pleasant.

It was much better than when I played Turtle Bay last year during a tournament. The “gentlemen” in my group didn’t exactly lack etiquette, but they all had really bad attitudes and were all around negative. It was one of the worst golfing experiences I’ve ever had on one of the most highly regarded golf courses in the world. That just shouldn’t have happened.

Some golfers are just too vain for their own good. Played with an older gentleman last week. Noticed about halfway through the round he had just picked up an R9. He let me look at it and I commented.."8.5 degrees wow". He comes back with yeh... I dont have any problem getting the ball off the ground. Topped his next tee shot. <Karma. Had been hitting the ball 15 feet off the ground all day.

My biggest pet peeves are people just standing on the through line of the putt. Accidentally or not, I hate it.

Any chop that hooks a towel to their belt loop. Also hate it when a 17 handicapper has a set of sticks that cost $3000 and a Staff Bag......which last I looked, there are about 44,000 of those guys on this site. Here's a few words of wisdom......if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.

These posts never cease to amaze me. Why in God's name would someone's personal belongings have such an affect on another. If this is how one chooses to spend one's money, so be it. SO many other things to worry yourself over...

By the way, I got a stand bag but it says Titleist on it- that OK with you? I fall sufficiently under any handicap requirements you may toss out there so I assume yes...

I love the guys that buy the big staff bags...helps us guys that work in the shop. Although I don't think a 2 handicap would even be good enough to warrant using a staff bag unless you got it for free since the hassle of carrying it around isn't worth the price or look IMO. Hell the one I have doesn't even fit on carts correctly.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I hate it when the single that joins us wants to dig thru my staff bag without asking

You know, though I find many of these things MILDLY annoying, I'm generally so happy just to be golfing I can put up with a lot of $%#.

I just try letting annoying things focus me on things I enjoy more. For instance, a guy I was playing with a few weeks ago, (nice enough guy, mind you, friend of a friend pulled in to fill out a foursome at the last minute) kept going off about how he was only about 4 stokes off me at the turn, despite the fact that I had my "fancy newfangled" clubs and he was playing with a $70 second hand set. A) I was having a very bad day (shot-wise, the golf was still fun) and B) only one of us was actually counting every shot and playing the ball is it lied, guess which.

Rather than be annoyed, I just refocused and beat him by 15 strokes on the back 9. See, nothing can be too annoying if you just know how to handle it.

p.s.: He and I had a great laugh about it over the beers he bought me afterwards, God I love this game.

Oh, one more thing I have to add.

I am 40, but I LOVE playing with old guys that are 70+ years old and have been playing a long time. They all treat golf like a gentleman's sport - they have all the etiquette and habit's "built-in" from years of play...and they love telling you stories about when they "watched Hogan on the range" or "back in the day.."

Love that....I'd rather play with an old guy than a young +handicapper any day. You can almost feel their wisdom when you stand near them.

Dude +10...my most enjoyable and most memerable "golf quotes", wisdom and jokes were from times with the old dudes who whoop @$$ at golf. I played with a older man and everytime I would slice it and say "oh wow bad slice"...he'd come back and say "I'm FADE so"...HAHA. and also many elderly golfers always cheer when we all have boomin drives! its just fun...

Oh and whoever said bad golfers that have latest equip but give out advice...Yeah +10 on that as well.

OH and more to add....

Good:

- some golfers I played with let me try out there driver one time (Suprequad when it was out)...dunno but letting another guy use your driver is like a whole new level of trust...HAHA

-Those who know the rules when asked but never enforce it

-Cool golfers that are competitive for the fun, not for the glory.

-A golfer I was paired up with gave me a ball to demo when I asked him about it (just the D2 feel, but still)

Bad:

-no Bunker grooming after shot

-people who ask you to hurry at the tee box even though there is another group still in the fairway...yeah not my fault

-"shotmakers" who can't make shots when they call it.

-Allergy complainers

I like where this thread is going, I can only hope that it'll make an impact.

I hate it when the single that joins us wants to dig thru my staff bag without asking

I don't mind those who buy one, it's Ammerica..freedom to choose what you buy is a perk. but I get bothered when they brag about it, and the right to remain silent is under used.

Even if I was a 2 or lower, I'd still be trotting around in my sun mountain stand bag...those babies are light.

Bad:

-The golf course who "only allow people with tee time to play" but when you wait for your tee time, they allow 5 different groups to go before you. You can't honestly tell me that between 2:05-2:10 that 5 group have tee times before my group. Then when your group is up to tee, it's been 45 mins PAST TEE TIME. Yeah, that makes sense. Why book a tee time if I can just walk on and have a higher chance to tee off before my booked tee time?

-The marshal that insist, on a weekend, to let a four-some play ahead of a two-some, follow by a one-some and another one-some......ok......let's NOT pair up groups. That will make everything faster.

-When you start on the first hole and you see the fairway AND green completely empty, only to finish, drive up to hole 2 to see 3 other groups waiting to tee off......W...T....F.

-Slow players that think they are in the PGA, take 5 mins worth of practice swings only to hit the tree 3 feet in front of them.

-Groups that like to drive to every player's ball/look for the player's ball, eventually find it, watch him practice swing for 5 mins only to hit it 3 inches with roll, then drive to the next player's ball/look for the player's ball, eventually find it, watch him practice swing for 5 mins and see him hit the ball straight into the lake, then drive to the next player's ball/look for the player's ball, eventually find it, watch him practice swing for 5 mins and watch him top the ball for 5 feet, then drive to the next player's ball/look for the player's ball, eventually find it, watch him practice swing for 5 mins and then watch him hit the ball into a ditch on the left side of the fairway. Rinse and repeat til they 100 jack on the green and tell each other they made bogey.........wow, go play on the driving range, I hear it's an AMAZING COURSE FOR PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO PRACTICE SWING FOR 5 MINS BEFORE THEY HIT IT MORE THAN 5 FEET!

-Groups that are S L O W! They know who they are. NO FREAKING WAY A TWO SOME CANNOT KEEP UP WITH A FOURSOME! If your that slow, go freaking home. Just go home-->Turn on the computer-->Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and L and wonder what just happen. A TWO-SOME, COMEON!!

-The marshall that suggest to your foursome that you should skip a hole when your on hole 4 because the foursome on hole 1 is about to tee off. Maybe YOU should skip a hole fool!

-The ONE golfer in the group ahead of yours that is EATING A FREAKING SUBWAY SANDWICH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FAIRWAY BEFORE HE EVEN LOOKS OR TAKES OUT A CLUB TO HIT HIS BALL. If you spend more time knowing what club you want to use more than eating that damn sandwich, maybe you wouldn't shank it 3 inches with roll you freaking fool!

-The one guy that is randomly paired into your group that claims he is a scratch golfer but takes more mulligans than you can imagine. Yeah I'm a scratch golfer too than by that standard. In fact, I shoot a 55 overall for an entire 18 based on that math. Yeah, why not? In fact, I just hit a hole-in-one on a 642 Par 5 from the tip!

-The golf store that says they have the "Best Club Maker" in the area but after he puts in your expensive shaft, you find scratch marks all over the shaft and on the top of your club head. You also hear loose poxy in the club head and notice the grip isn't even on correctly because you can still see the tape......GG GOLF ETC IN CLEAR LAKE HOUSTON, TX! Best club maker........what kinda club you making?

Good:

-Marshals that space everyone out

-Golfers that are decent and don't spend FOREVER taking practice swings

-Competitive but not insane golfers

Smokers that leave cigarette and cigar butts on the ground. Smoke if you want, I used to, but I snuffed out my butts and kept a baggie in the cart or my bag when walking to collect the butts.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Pace of play! 99% of golfers get irritated by slow play. Of course slow play is frustrating, and it's really detrimental to the game.

However, "speed golf" is just as bad. If you are the type of player who wants to see how fast you can play 18, fine. Go ahead and be the "rabbit" but you'd better be the first tee time on Saturday morning. Nothing worse than seeing groups giving 5' putts and bragging about "my foursome just played in 2.5 hours." Yeah, right.

If you don't have time to play, DON'T PLAY. I agree that a round should NOT take 4 hrs and 45 minutes, but a comfortable pace of play does not equate to trying to set a land speed record either.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Cell Phone users, Unless your an on-call doctor.. turn it too silent, and toss it in the bag until your in your car heading home.

My phone is set "on" but I have bird ring tones - about 7 of them I use depending on what state I'm playing in. Black Capped Chickadee, KillDeer, Robin, Red Shoulder Hawk, etc...

To this day nobody has detected my phone is ringing. I've had it go off in people tee shots and they never know. I don't take calls on the course but I leave my phone in my bag sometimes and I won't hear vibrate. If I am "on-call" I need to have a phone around.

Since I hear it all the time I know it's my phone. Hilarious when it goes off indoors in the pro-shop. Guys look around for the bird :)

You can get some of them at the free sound project, but I got mine at the national geographic website. Convert them to whatever your phone uses and upload them onto your phone. I use an iphone so mine are already iphone-ready.

Message me if you have an iPhone and I will email them to you. They're tiny.

I love the guys that buy the big staff bags...helps us guys that work in the shop. Although I don't think a 2 handicap would even be good enough to warrant using a staff bag unless you got it for free since the hassle of carrying it around isn't worth the price or look IMO. Hell the one I have doesn't even fit on carts correctly.

What would it matter what any other golfer chooses as equiptment to you. If he wants a staff bag who cares maybe he's a high handicapper and need lots of room for all the balls he will lose:) and to stash a cold 1 to share with me on a hot day... If he wants the latest and greatest clubs who cares, I personally believe if you can afford it why not, I am sure you would to if your mommy allowed it :)

Most guys I know that can afford the top line clubs also take lessons or are looking to improve their game like every one elase. Why not use every advantage you have available (sort of like teeing up an iron on the tee box, or scouting the perfect drop out of GUR).

Too many guys get worked up over stuff they have no business sticking their noses in. Golf is for everyone young, old, skilled or beginer. I have never met a pimped out beginner who wasnt eager to get helpful advice on the game, rules, etc, stupid advice like "dont use a staff bag" or dont buy the best clubs you can afford that work for you" is not helpful advice....

What would it matter what any other golfer chooses as equiptment to you. If he wants a staff bag who cares maybe he's a high handicapper and need lots of room for all the balls he will lose:) and to stash a cold 1 to share with me on a hot day... If he wants the latest and greatest clubs who cares, I personally believe if you can afford it why not, I am sure you would to if your mommy allowed it :)

Most guys I know that can afford the top line clubs also take lessons or are looking to improve their game like every one elase. Why not use every advantage you have available (sort of like teeing up an iron on the tee box, or scouting the perfect drop out of GUR).

Too many guys get worked up over stuff they have no business sticking their noses in. Golf is for everyone young, old, skilled or beginer. I have never met a pimped out beginner who wasnt eager to get helpful advice on the game, rules, etc, stupid advice like "dont use a staff bag" or dont buy the best clubs you can afford that work for you" is not helpful advice....

I'm not exactly sure why you are quoting my post and then half a** trying to insult me on the way. I stated that I didn't care one bit what other golfers play I just said that IMO using a staff bag isn't worth the hassle of carrying it around. It makes zero difference to me if a 20 handicap uses a staff bag. The fact that my "mommy" would allow it is hilarious since I get all my stuff for free and you can't even spell words like equipment or beginner. :russian_roulette:

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Nice to have you here.... :russian_roulette:

- Rant on:

Who cares! Awfully hippocritcal coming from anyone reading a golf discussion board dedicated to the latest and greatest golf equipment. Let people carry and play what they want. I take this personally as I continue to suck at this game although I love it and have worked hard to improve but just lack the skill. This does not mean that I should not be able to own nice equipment. I hope you were talking more about the attitude that somrtimes comes with this sort of player.

Rant off-

Cliff J.

There are so MANY things that can bother you when playing golf. There's an even longer list of things you OUGHT to pay attention to when you play golf.

This is why I'm so floored every time I see these "I can't believe this guy was off 15 and had $4K of equipment in his bag."

W H O C A R E S????

Once again: one thing that a man should never do is tell another man how to spend his own money. Never.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.
I find that a bit judgmental and shallow, to say the least.If anything, a staff bag is a thing of "golf fashion."  Why should it matter what your handicap is?  If you want to rock a big leather bag, then more power to you.
this is to kingheatly and the rest of ya'll that continually post about staff bag posers....  Get over it....Staff Bags have nothing to do with a golfers skill set, so quit judging them as posers.  I choose the use of a staff bag for several reasons,  I am a diabetic, that is in very good health but I still need to watch myself and dehydration playing golf here in the southeastern u.s.  So I choose to ride.  Hoofers just do not cut it for riding....period.  As for cart bags they maybe a good choice for some,  but for me and probably many other staff bag users think Cart Bags are gimacky.  i.e.  14 club pockets, a million, zillion pockets of no useless size on cart bags.  just put several good sized and a large pocket on the cart bag, like a well made carry bag, plus a majority of the cart bags have too many colors, and designs and a majority of them look like they come from outer space.   A great cart bag would be an appropriately sized traditional staff bag for riding in a cart.  Too me there are two types of bags that have a traditional appearance in the game of golf.  A carry bag or a staff bag.  They are traditional.  Cart bags are not, I think they are novelty bags.  i.e. special putter wells, special sleeve for dispensing balls,  little fastners for towels, gloves, sharpies, built in beverage coolers.  Are you getting my point.  These are the bags being used by the golfers going on a 5 hour picnic.....Everybody on this site needs to get over there staff bag issue.  It has zip, nadda anything to do with a golfers ability or what there ability should be.

r/MiuraPro

We buy equipment to look at and take pictures of to post online. Occasionally we like to rant online and wish the weather was nicer so we could play instead of sitting in front of the computer.

As for annoying things, most of mine have been covered in the thread from slow play to people that dont fix pitch marks on the greens. >_<

My #1 pet peeve is when someone in my group carries their conversation from the cart to the tee box. They try to hurry the last few sentences in a whisper like it's any less distracting when i'm already addressing my shot and have gone through my pre-shot routine. Just shut up or bite your tongue for two seconds and i'll give you the same due respect when it's your shot.

I hate it when a golfer in my group stands behind or in front of my line of putt to get a read on his ball. I'm in a Friday golf league and I can't believe the number of golfers thatt do this.

I always politely aske them to move off the line, and the begrugingly move. Somtimes they only move an inch or two and I have to aske them to move a little more.

Is there a golf rule against standing on a competitor's line of putt?

carter

I hate it when a golfer in my group stands behind or in front of my line of putt to get a read on his ball. I'm in a Friday golf league and I can't believe the number of golfers thatt do this.

I always politely aske them to move off the line, and the begrugingly move. Somtimes they only move an inch or two and I have to aske them to move a little more.

Is there a golf rule against standing on a competitor's line of putt?

carter