2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Equitable Score Control (ESC)

Another oh....everything mentioned in this thread should have been explained to

every player by the handicap committee when the process to get that handicap began.

(conversation snipped for bandwith)

Where was the explanation of ESC in that conversation? I'm not trying to be flippant... I just think it is now encumbant upon the golfer to read the rules. New or inexperienced golfers (like myself) should spend a good amount of time on the USGA web site. No one is gonna explain it to you in most cases. In fact, at the risk of the GolfWRX gods mashing me with a 5 iron, new golfers (or those who haven't read the rules in awhile) should spend more time there then here. We'd all benefit.

Agree with you, and commend you for doing, yes, what all golfers *should* do.

I hadn't thought of the store/web based off course handicaps. I suppose it would be no

different at many(?) local courses that sell the service. The problem here is not with

the golfer, but with the system. To me, this is a USGA problem. The USGA should mandate

of ALL who have been approved to provide USGA handicaps, to provide this pertinent info

to all *buyers* when they are entered into the system. Could be done with one of

those pamphlets that the USGA likes so much, with info on page 1 where to get

more help, if needed.

And then, how does the USGA go about enforcing this requirement?

For all I know, they already mandate it.

For the situation you described, I know it happens, I just don't know why the USGA

allowed for this type of handicap availability. I'm not trying to deny anyone who wants

a handicap (mine is from an off-course club, as well), but where is the peer review?

I guess my fear, if that's the correct term, is one day finding some handicapped

event, and the organizers not allowing some or any off-course handicaps as being

valid, and refusing entry to that golfer. A bit extreme, but stranger things have happened.

Seems something should be done, just not sure what.

As for being flippant...absolutely no worries...I never read anything of the sort into

your comments.

Oh, and (re-)reading the rules..spot on. Too few have a clue about the rules.

If you're really interested, I'd also suggest the *Decisions on the Rules of Golf*.

Good details, with real world examples. (available on the USGA site).

Some of my preferred reading over the non-playable winter months, just to keep sharp.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another oh....everything mentioned in this thread should have been explained to

every player by the handicap committee when the process to get that handicap began.

(conversation snipped for bandwith)

Where was the explanation of ESC in that conversation? I'm not trying to be flippant... I just think it is now encumbant upon the golfer to read the rules. New or inexperienced golfers (like myself) should spend a good amount of time on the USGA web site. No one is gonna explain it to you in most cases. In fact, at the risk of the GolfWRX gods mashing me with a 5 iron, new golfers (or those who haven't read the rules in awhile) should spend more time there then here. We'd all benefit.

Agree with you, and commend you for doing, yes, what all golfers *should* do.

I hadn't thought of the store/web based off course handicaps. I suppose it would be no

different at many(?) local courses that sell the service. The problem here is not with

the golfer, but with the system. To me, this is a USGA problem. The USGA should mandate

of ALL who have been approved to provide USGA handicaps, to provide this pertinent info

to all *buyers* when they are entered into the system. Could be done with one of

those pamphlets that the USGA likes so much, with info on page 1 where to get

more help, if needed.

And then, how does the USGA go about enforcing this requirement?

For all I know, they already mandate it.

For the situation you described, I know it happens, I just don't know why the USGA

allowed for this type of handicap availability. I'm not trying to deny anyone who wants

a handicap (mine is from an off-course club, as well), but where is the peer review?

I guess my fear, if that's the correct term, is one day finding some handicapped

event, and the organizers not allowing some or any off-course handicaps as being

valid, and refusing entry to that golfer. A bit extreme, but stranger things have happened.

Seems something should be done, just not sure what.

As for being flippant...absolutely no worries...I never read anything of the sort into

your comments.

Oh, and (re-)reading the rules..spot on. Too few have a clue about the rules.

If you're really interested, I'd also suggest the *Decisions on the Rules of Golf*.

Good details, with real world examples. (available on the USGA site).

Some of my preferred reading over the non-playable winter months, just to keep sharp.

It's OK for a golf club to be "off-course"-- see USGA handicap manual-- if the "club" follows the USGA handicap procedures.

However, if the USGA handicap system is not used, I would bloody well hope that a tournament committee in a net (handicapped) event would not permit using handicaps that are not derived from the USGA licensed system. I kow everyone does not have a handicap and there are Stableford and Callaway scoring formats, but it's hard enough to create a level playing field and discourage sandbagging without phony, made-up, arbitrary, handicaps being used. The calculations are only part of the USGA handicap methodology. I don't care (too much) if someone doesn't follow the rules of golf or handicapping, I just don't want to compete against them.

It's OK for a golf club to be "off-course"-- see USGA handicap manual-- if the "club" follows the USGA handicap procedures.

Fully aware...as I said, I have one.

The problem we were discussing, and it seems more prevalent from some

of the off-course clubs, is clubs that DON'T follow USGA procedures.

The biggest questions being: How does the USGA police these clubs, if they do...

and how do the clubs (in question) do peer review,

which, as you know, is a major facet of the USGA handicap system.

Fully aware...as I said, I have one.

The problem we were discussing, and it seems more prevalent from some

of the off-course clubs, is clubs that DON'T follow USGA procedures.

The biggest questions being: How does the USGA police these clubs, if they do...

and how do the clubs (in question) do peer review,

which, as you know, is a major facet of the USGA handicap system.

The USGA Handicap System Licensing Program for Clubs is a requirement for all clubs in the United States wishing to utilize the USGA Handicap System™. If a club is a member club of the authorized golf association in its area, and a member club is considered as a club that uses the authorized golf association's handicap computation service, then it must sign an agreement with the authorized golf association. Any independent golf club that is not part of an authorized golf association and wishes to utilize any aspect of the USGA Handicap System must be licensed directly through the USGA®. To review the licensing policies or to begin the licensing process now, see the links below:

Golf Club Audit Program

The USGA has initiated an audit program for golf clubs to ensure the integrity of the USGA Handicap System is being maintained. The USGA randomly selects licensed golf clubs to complete the audit program and to provide evidence that they are using the USGA's formulas and service marks correctly in connection with the USGA Handicap System. All licensed golf clubs are subjected to being audited by the USGA, regardless of whether there is a compliance item in question or not.

Unquote

Info re a "club" is on the USGA's website, here:

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/club_lice...lf-Association/

The duties and responsibilities of the Handicap Committee are here ("Peer Review" is defined as well): http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14385

It seems to me, as with the rules in general, some want or need to have an "official" USGA handicap (because they play in tournaments where it matters); some don't.

Mainlinegolfer....

You are responding to me, quoting rules, I already know.

Obviously I have not been clear enough with my comments, and have confused you.

My comments were in response to this scenario posted by InTheHole:

What?

Me: "I'd like to sign up for the handicap service."

Guy behind the counter (GBC): "$30. How would you like to pay for that?"

Me: "Mastercard."

GBC: "Have you had a handicap before?"

Me: "No."

GBC: "OK, I'll set you up in the computer. [After setup.] OK, click here and here, find your name, course, and enter your score."

Me: "Cool. Thanks."

GBC: "No problem. Have a nice day. By the way, you can also enter your scored on the GHIN web site- there's a flyer up on the bulletin board explaining how to do it."

Me: "Great! Thanks for all your help."

This IS an OFFICIAL USGA handicap (service) that was purchased.

My response was to THIS scenario, and how I do not believe that this *licensed golf club*

and others, many like them, are NOT following the guidelines and RULES of the USGA,

and the problems that not following those rules generate, and what some ramifications

*might* be.

Mainlinegolfer....

You are responding to me, quoting rules, I already know.

Obviously I have not been clear enough with my comments, and have confused you.

My comments were in response to this scenario posted by InTheHole:

What?

Me: "I'd like to sign up for the handicap service."

Guy behind the counter (GBC): "$30. How would you like to pay for that?"

Me: "Mastercard."

GBC: "Have you had a handicap before?"

Me: "No."

GBC: "OK, I'll set you up in the computer. [After setup.] OK, click here and here, find your name, course, and enter your score."

Me: "Cool. Thanks."

GBC: "No problem. Have a nice day. By the way, you can also enter your scored on the GHIN web site- there's a flyer up on the bulletin board explaining how to do it."

Me: "Great! Thanks for all your help."

This IS an OFFICIAL USGA handicap (service) that was purchased.

My response was to THIS scenario, and how I do not believe that this *licensed golf club*

and others, many like them, are NOT following the guidelines and RULES of the USGA,

and the problems that not following those rules generate, and what some ramifications

*might* be.

I was not confused before but perhaps I misunderstood your questions in my haste to be helpful. I'm sorry if I did, but don't patronize me.

First, a small correction, golf ASSOCIATIONS are licensed by the USGA, not clubs. So, the question is whether the club (on- or off-course) is member of an association licensed by the USGA. The use of GHIN is also licensed by the USGA and would be a good indication that the club is a member of a licensed golf association (although, incidentally, not all licensed golf associations use GHIN software). It's easy enough to verify if the "club" is a member of a USGA-licensed golf association (e.g. Metropolitan Golf Association or Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP)). If a tournament committee or golf professional determines that the club is not part of a licensed association, then the "handicap" is likely to be viewed as "ineligible" for play in a tournament. There are also several software products that will calculate a "handicap"; but, again, it's not an official handicap as far as the USGA is concerned because it's not USGA-licensed and part of its comprehensive course rating and handicap index system.

Secondly, while you "know the rules", you did ask: "The biggest questions being: How does the USGA police these clubs, if they do...and how do the clubs (in question) do peer review". I thought I provided answers to these questions (and a link to the definition of "peer review") for clubs affiliated with an "official" USGA-licensed golf association. For these clubs, the use of a handicap committee and peer review and possible sanctions is spelled out, and, as I wrote subject to audit by the USGA. Further, the golf association may also monitor "exceptional (net) tournament scores" and take remedial handicap action (for example, GAP uses the Knuth system when determining whether to adjust handicaps after an "exceptional" net tournament score).

If your question only pertained to clubs which are NOT members of an authorized association, then excuse me. It would seem obvious that the USGA doesn't audit those "ineligible" clubs and its handicaps would be viewed as questionable and ineligible as far as a tournament committee is concerned. Personally, I would ensure that I have a handicap from a club/association that is licensed by the USGA. However, people use "handicaps" "calculated" in different and mysterious ways for all sorts of reasons. Caveat emptor.

I took the time to try to be helpful, but by all means read the USGA handicap guidelines yourself, and if you still have questions, call or send an email to the USGA. I do it all the time for rules and handicap questions (often before I post on Golfwrx).

Yes - when you sign up to keep an official handicap this is in the info or rules for keeping a cap.

This definitely has an impact. the example in your link puts it perfectly -

"For example, on that one disaster hole you might have taken 14 strokes......Taking the "14" might throw your handicap index out of whack. And remember, the handicap index is not meant to reflect your average score, it's meant to reflect your best potential."

In fact, no one should even want their handicap to trend upward, if so, why bother keeping track of it? The ESC is meant to trend you lower......

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

On the previous couple of posts, immediately above the last previous post, I did not quote in order to keep this post short. But I think the reality is that with private club membership on the decline, with more and more golfers playing a variety of daily fee courses, and with the growth of internet usga handicap index reporting and even "clubs" that are virtual or internet based --- the reality is that peer review is going to be very tough under these circumstances. The result for most of us is no different. But for those people (maybe 5% or 10% at most) who are prone to either sandbagging, or creating vanity handicaps - it will be easier to "cheat" in this way. And I'm just not sure of any good way to fix that.

I play in both a golf league as well as a series of amateur tournaments, and in both cases, these organizations have found a way to monitor scores and to quickly move people up and down in flights, based on their actual performance, and not based on handicap indexes, in fact, you don't even need to have a usga handicap index for either of these organizations.

Personally, I use my actual usga handicap index for tournaments that require them, only a couple of times per year. The main reason I keep it is to monitor my own progress. Since I report all my scores, and I do it truthfully, I can see for a fact if I am getting better, and how fast - and that is worth a lot of satisfaction.

On the previous couple of posts, immediately above the last previous post, I did not quote in order to keep this post short. But I think the reality is that with private club membership on the decline, with more and more golfers playing a variety of daily fee courses, and with the growth of internet usga handicap index reporting and even "clubs" that are virtual or internet based --- the reality is that peer review is going to be very tough under these circumstances. The result for most of us is no different. But for those people (maybe 5% or 10% at most) who are prone to either sandbagging, or creating vanity handicaps - it will be easier to "cheat" in this way. And I'm just not sure of any good way to fix that.

I play in both a golf league as well as a series of amateur tournaments, and in both cases, these organizations have found a way to monitor scores and to quickly move people up and down in flights, based on their actual performance, and not based on handicap indexes, in fact, you don't even need to have a usga handicap index for either of these organizations.

Personally, I use my actual usga handicap index for tournaments that require them, only a couple of times per year. The main reason I keep it is to monitor my own progress. Since I report all my scores, and I do it truthfully, I can see for a fact if I am getting better, and how fast - and that is worth a lot of satisfaction.

I don't work for the USGA and don't really have a "dog in this fight". I guess I may be characterized by some as a "handicap Nazi" (though poor choices of words they are... sort of like "club 'ho"). It's just that (1) I hate sandbagging; and (2) most criticism comes from being those uninformed about the depth and breadth of what the rules and handicap system are designed to do...and the information is readily available from the USGA. When it comes to the rules, by this time, there are very few situations that haven't already come up for review and a decision written.

But I feel a little sad if not annoyed when the criticism of USGA rules or the handicap system is made without taking the time to read the rules/decisions and handicap guidelines (and admittedly that can be arcane and sleep-inducing task). Rather like Churchill saying that "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried", I don't see how "these organizations" making expedient handicap adjustments is better than the USGA system, and certainly not as portable. The USGA handicap index is NOT an average score and its primary purpose is NOT to to help us monitor our own progress, it's to enable players of varying abilities to compete in a variety of formats, tees, courses, etc. I'm not sure how can "these organization" find a way to monitor scores that doesn't expose themselves to accusations of sandbagging, but I guess if everyone is satisfied, and the competition is friendly (not for meaningful money or prizes), and informal... If you really can play without a handicap index, there MUST be some decent "honest" golfer who is upset when "Tex, with the sunburned neck, a 1-iron and a 15 handicap" or "Sally, the newbie 36 handicap" wins low net. Frankly, everyone is simply not ias nformed or as honest as you are in keeping and posting scores. The USGA system is undeniably more ambitious, comprehensive and fairer, in my opinion. The big IF, of course, is that it assumes everyone plays by the same rules.

As far as "virtual or Internet-based clubs", there is still a requirement for peer review. Even in non-green grass "clubs", members play golf with each other and get a feel for their games and there is open posting of scores for members to see. There is always a requirement for a Handicap Committee (although it may not do its job). Even aside from a handicap committee (supposedly) making adjustments for a great tournament score (handicap index down) and injuries (handicap index up), the USGA software, as I mentioned before, automatically notes "exceptional tournament scores" and can adjust handicaps automatically when red flags go up.

I don't work for the USGA and don't really have a "dog in this fight". I guess I may be characterized by some as a "handicap Nazi" (though poor choices of words they are... sort of like "club 'ho"). It's just that (1) I hate sandbagging; and (2) most criticism comes from being those uninformed about the depth and breadth of what the rules and handicap system are designed to do...and the information is readily available from the USGA. When it comes to the rules, by this time, there are very few situations that haven't already come up for review and a decision written.

But I feel a little sad if not annoyed when the criticism of USGA rules or the handicap system is made without taking the time to read the rules/decisions and handicap guidelines (and admittedly that can be arcane and sleep-inducing task). Rather like Churchill saying that "democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried", I don't see how "these organizations" making expedient handicap adjustments is better than the USGA system, and certainly not as portable. The USGA handicap index is NOT an average score and its primary purpose is NOT to to help us monitor our own progress, it's to enable players of varying abilities to compete in a variety of formats, tees, courses, etc. I'm not sure how can "these organization" find a way to monitor scores that doesn't expose themselves to accusations of sandbagging, but I guess if everyone is satisfied, and the competition is friendly (not for meaningful money or prizes), and informal... If you really can play without a handicap index, there MUST be some decent "honest" golfer who is upset when "Tex, with the sunburned neck, a 1-iron and a 15 handicap" or "Sally, the newbie 36 handicap" wins low net. Frankly, everyone is simply not ias nformed or as honest as you are in keeping and posting scores. The USGA system is undeniably more ambitious, comprehensive and fairer, in my opinion. The big IF, of course, is that it assumes everyone plays by the same rules.

As far as "virtual or Internet-based clubs", there is still a requirement for peer review. Even in non-green grass "clubs", members play golf with each other and get a feel for their games and there is open posting of scores for members to see. There is always a requirement for a Handicap Committee (although it may not do its job). Even aside from a handicap committee (supposedly) making adjustments for a great tournament score (handicap index down) and injuries (handicap index up), the USGA software, as I mentioned before, automatically notes "exceptional tournament scores" and can adjust handicaps automatically when red flags go up.

Hey, I'm with you 110%. I just wish a lot of other people were as well. Perhaps if more of these organizations REQUIRED a handicap index to participate, then things would be better. Or if at least they required you to START a handicap index and maintain it as part of participation, then that would be a plus. But unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The one positive I see is that the league I play in has flights 1 through 4, and the egolf amateur tour has flights Championship, A, B, C, and D. And they both maintain and publicly post scoring averages similar to, but not quite the same, as the usga handicap index. So usually, someone who is misplaced, or who is not truthful when joining, will be found out quickly and moved to the correct flight. The interesting thing is, there are far more people who are playing a better flight than they should, out of ego, then there are people who are playing an easier flight so they can win.

My impression is that the original poster may not have an actual USGA handicap index, since he talks about "calculating" his handicap. You don't "calculate" a handicap, you simply post your scores after each round, after first applying ESC. The USGA applies the appropriate formulas and updates your handicap index once per month, or twice, depending on the state association you are in. Although the formulas are not difficult and it certainly is possible for any individual to figure out their handicap index for themselves.

As for the question about ESC, it is mind numbing to me, to think that anyone is not aware of this. Especially after 12 years. Although I have seen some pretty experienced golfers apply it incorrectly - for example, using triple bogie max versus 7.

You're correct- I didn't start maintaining a hcp until this season. I'd never really studied the handicap system before, so I didn't really have any reason to know about ESC.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just need to confirm something. I've been in the States for a number of years, but only recently made a commitment to get a USGA handicap.

I've only recorded 4 rounds so far, and I understand that it takes 5 rounds to get a handicap. So, in regard to ESC: I have been posting the scores as I played them, without adjusting. Since I don't yet have a handicap, ESC does *not* apply to me, correct? I don't see how ESC could work since I have no handicap to adjust against.

Thanks for the help. The way I used to play the game before (in France), only tournament rounds would count towards my handicap, and the French Federation-issued scorecard would have to be turned in signed by another player, without any adjustment. There was nothing like ESC, so I did get a 10 or 12 now and then! :rolleyes:

I don't mean to whine or be condescending, but I am somewhat mystified by the handicap system in the US... I spent so much time researching how to join a club, how to post my scores, etc. It's pretty complex. It also amazes me (not in a very good way) that I can just post a score online without another player's signature... That's a pretty recent development, right?

Edited to add: I find it funny that some people really try to "sandbag". For me, a low handicap is an achievement, and I took great pride in it when I got below 12 back in Europe. That's when I knew I wasn't a *total* hacker anymore :D (Under French rules, above 12 you are "2nd series" and play from the yellow tees - ie. men's tees - and below 12 you are 1st series and play from the back tees. Under USGA rules, at what point should one start playing from the back tees?

Thanks for reading; I realize I'm asking a lot of newbie questions...

As has been posted many times before, the USGA website and published booklets provide the definitive source for questions about rules, handicap indexes, course maintenance, etiquette and many other topics. There is simply no reason to speculate or ask your uninformed buddies (or About.com).

USGA handicap system - http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/manual/manual.html

Rules - http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/rules.html

Hi guys, I just need to confirm something. I've been in the States for a number of years, but only recently made a commitment to get a USGA handicap.

I've only recorded 4 rounds so far, and I understand that it takes 5 rounds to get a handicap. So, in regard to ESC: I have been posting the scores as I played them, without adjusting. Since I don't yet have a handicap, ESC does *not* apply to me, correct? I don't see how ESC could work since I have no handicap to adjust against.

Thanks for the help. The way I used to play the game before (in France), only tournament rounds would count towards my handicap, and the French Federation-issued scorecard would have to be turned in signed by another player, without any adjustment. There was nothing like ESC, so I did get a 10 or 12 now and then! :rolleyes:

I don't mean to whine or be condescending, but I am somewhat mystified by the handicap system in the US... I spent so much time researching how to join a club, how to post my scores, etc. It's pretty complex. It also amazes me (not in a very good way) that I can just post a score online without another player's signature... That's a pretty recent development, right?

Edited to add: I find it funny that some people really try to "sandbag". For me, a low handicap is an achievement, and I took great pride in it when I got below 12 back in Europe. That's when I knew I wasn't a *total* hacker anymore :D (Under French rules, above 12 you are "2nd series" and play from the yellow tees - ie. men's tees - and below 12 you are 1st series and play from the back tees. Under USGA rules, at what point should one start playing from the back tees?

Thanks for reading; I realize I'm asking a lot of newbie questions...

See the links above, the answer is in there. The rules have covered your situation.

Rule 4-3 in the handicap manual states:

"A player without an established Handicap Index must use the maximum Handicap Index of 36.4 for men, or 40.4 for women, converted to a Course Handicap, to determine a maximum ESC number"

Additionally...

"A handicap determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed a Handicap Index. "

... and...

"All scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores, are subject to the application of Equitable Stroke Control (ESC). This mandatory procedure reduces high hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability."

So, ESC is required when you post a score. (Note- you do not use it on your scorecard to reduce your score in competition. If you shoot a 15 on a hole, you shot a 15 and your score should reflect that. You only adjust the 15 down when posting the score for handicap calculations).

What the USGA is getting at, is that if you are a 5 handicap index, that 15 is not representative of your potential.

You have to get rid of the idea that a handicap or handicap index is a representative adjustment of what you score on a regular basis. What it is is a representation of your top 25% of your scoring ability. Maybe it is different in Europe? A handicap is supposed to show your average potential, not your average.

Does that clarify it?

Thank you so much; much clearer now. I did go to the USGA website before and read the section on ESC, but couldn't find the rule pertaining to those without a handicap.

"You have to get rid of the idea that a handicap or handicap index is a representative adjustment of what you score on a regular basis. What it is is a representation of your top 25% of your scoring ability. Maybe it is different in Europe? A handicap is supposed to show your average potential, not your average."

Yes it is different where I learned the game. And I should say that as a junior, we had classes on the rules of golf and I had to take two exams in order to play junior tournaments, at 14 and 16 years old. I always thought the rules of the game were the same everywhere, but as I have learned in the past few months, it's certainly not the case for handicapping. I get to study another rules manual... :russian_roulette:

Now, the scores I have posted this year are wrong, and I don't believe I can alter them. What can I do? Talk to the handicap officer at my club?

Now, the scores I have posted this year are wrong, and I don't believe I can alter them. What can I do? Talk to the handicap officer at my club?

If you still have your cards, the handicap officer has the access to change your scores appropriately. Or you can simply ask him to cancel those scores and start fresh.

Regarding your surprise that most places allow you to enter a score by yourself without a signature, it has been my feeling that the old the signature rule achieved nothing. If one is determined to cheat, how hard is it to sign someone else's name to a card? Or carefully/secretly add strokes to your card before you get an unsuspecting person to sign it for you? There is really nothing that can be done about it. Cheaters cheat, and I suppose get whatever satisfaction there is from that. To me, golf is a whole lot of effort to go through if your end game is simply to lie. Easier to lie from home. I suspect that there are enough honest golfers out there to keep things reasonably in order, and the cheaters ultimately get adjusted anyway (after the fact) when they score too low in tournaments.