Equitable Score Control (ESC)

Does everyone know about this?
I've been playing golf for about 12 years now, and I just learned about equitable score control (ESC). Does everyone on here use ESC when calculating their handicaps? Is anybody else in the dark about ESC like I was? In case you are, here's some info:

http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm

This can have a MAJOR impact on your handicap.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - when you sign up to keep an official handicap this is in the info or rules for keeping a cap.

Β 

This definitely has an impact. the example in your link puts it perfectly -

Β 

"For example, on that one disaster hole you might have taken 14 strokes......Taking the "14" might throw your handicap index out of whack. And remember, the handicap index is not meant to reflect your average score, it's meant to reflect your best potential."

ESC is a critical component of the handicapping system. Failing to use ESC when entering scores will result in a handicap that is not valid.

Β 

That said, my personal thoughts are that the handicap system, even with equitable stroke control, is imperfect as it stands and subject to manipulation by those inclined to do so. It seems that there are predominantly two types, players with vanity handicaps who can't play to them, and sandbaggers who keep their handicap at a level that always gives them an edge when playing in net competitions or for wagers.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73Β 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73Β 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Yeah, I had a quad the other day and my score was an 81, adjusted my score was a 79. If you are the type of player that has several blow up holes a round it can affect your handi a lot. IMO this is fair especially if you are playing someone in a match play situation. When applying strokes to certain holes and skins are involved the "good" player, the guy who can make birdies, but also double and triples, would have a huge advantage without ESC.

Ping G400 Testing G410.Β  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.Β Β 
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3Β 56* TW grind.Β  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.Β Β 
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
Β 

I think where some people still get confused is how different clubs handle this. For mine I do it myself so the score that I enter into the computer counts the ESC. I also gather that some other people's clubs have them submit the actual score card with all strokes taken. Then the club officer calculates ESC for them. Then posts that ESC for them. confused?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been playing golf for about 12 years now, and I just learned about equitable score control (ESC). Does everyone on here use ESC when calculating their handicaps? Is anybody else in the dark about ESC like I was? In case you are, here's some info:

Β 

Β 

You've had an official USGA cap for 12 years without knowing about ESC?

Β 

:russian_roulette: No wonder I get killed in net events.

• 1 month later...

How many times can you take advantage of "taking the maximum" per round though? A buddy of mine swears by ESC. I am just now finding out about it as I thought it was just a local rule enacted by our local men's league.

Β 

Here is the USGA's stance on it. http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/unde...es/esctest.html

Β 

So my question remains, how many times can you mark down the maximum strokes you can take per your handicap per round? If you are a 10-19, that maximum score is 7. Can I post four scores of 7 per round if I blow up on four holes, say all our par 3s?

As has been posted many times before, the USGA website and published booklets provide the definitive source for questions about rules, handicap indexes, course maintenance, etiquette and many other topics. There is simply no reason to speculate or ask your uninformed buddies (or About.com).

Β 

USGA handicap system - http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/manual/manual.html

Rules - http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/rules.html

By the way, the man who developed the USGA's handicap index and course rating/slope systems, Dean Knuth, has his own website, "The Pope of Slope" that discusses handicapping, and sandbagging (the bane of golf), and reasons why scores are not turned in:

http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/index.html

Β 

Β 

There is also an interesting chart about the probabilities of playing better than an (honest, accurate) handicap, i.e. an "Exceptional Tournament Score".

http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/odds.html

Β 

Β 

You've had an official USGA cap for 12 years without knowing about ESC?

Β 

:russian_roulette: No wonder I get killed in net events.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

:cheesy: :cheesy: That's what I was thinking. :drinks:

My impression is that the original poster may not have an actual USGA handicap index, since he talks about "calculating" his handicap. You don't "calculate" a handicap, you simply post your scores after each round, after first applying ESC. The USGA applies the appropriate formulas and updates your handicap index once per month, or twice, depending on the state association you are in. Although the formulas are not difficult and it certainly is possible for any individual to figure out their handicap index for themselves.

Β 

As for the question about ESC, it is mind numbing to me, to think that anyone is not aware of this. Especially after 12 years. Although I have seen some pretty experienced golfers apply it incorrectly - for example, using triple bogie max versus 7.

At my home course when you enter your score into the computer it prompts you to, "Enter Your ESC Score" so how you wouldn't know about ESC after 12 years is truly beyond me.

Β 

There are also a lot of people that think their handicap is their average score, so go figure?!?

The posting procedures vary a little from club to club; golf association to golf association, however. As mentioned, some just turn in scorecards; some post themselves after making ESC adjustments; and some do both.

Β 

Not only do many golfers not understand the USGA handicap guidelines and objectives, many "experienced" golfers don't even know how to correctly fix a ball mark on the green. While the rules of golf and USGA handicapping policies may be arcane and complex, there is no reason to speculate such that the "blind lead the blind". It's usually not a matter for speculation or opinion, the rules and the handicap methodology are spelled out in detail in USGA handbooks and on its website. Follow the rules or not, it's up to you. But it's chaos and unfair to compete using "handicaps" calculated in different ways.

Β 

There was a great deal of sophisticated statistical analysis that led to the USGA handicap system, with the objective being to permit players of different abilities to fairly play against each other-- men and women; using different tees; at courses of varying difficulty; factoring in tournament scores to catch sandbaggers; giving handicap committees discretion to make adjustments; and accommodating different tournament formats (1 day and 4 day; fourball and foursomes; match and stroke; and even scrambles!). Calculating an "average" score was not the objective; hence, a handicap system designed to measure playing "potential". Finally, the handicap index is ultimately only effective if everyone followings the same rules; otherwise "garbage in, garbage out".

Β 

Forged vs. cast; Tiger vs. Phil; the benefits of "Puring", spine and flowing. Those subjects are nothing when compared to the ranting sandbagging causes, whether intentional or unintentional. I have almost given up on competitive golf-- at a 6-7 handicap, I can't compete at scratch and the net tournaments always seem to won by someone whose handicap, ahem, could use some scrutiny.

That is the main problem with the logic. Its the assumption that everyone is honest and makes the handicap process work.

Β 

Our local club dictates that you must play the ball down. Take no mulligans. Hit only one from the first tee and hole every putt. No gimmies.

Β 

If you can't do that you cannot and should not turn in a scorecard for posting.

Β 

On the other hand, how can you make sure someone isn't intentionally trying to miss the 5 footer or hit it ob to pad their handicap index?

Β 

Its a game of honor and honesty and should be played as such.

How many times can you take advantage of "taking the maximum" per round though? A buddy of mine swears by ESC. I am just now finding out about it as I thought it was just a local rule enacted by our local men's league.

Β 

Here is the USGA's stance on it. http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/unde...es/esctest.html

Β 

So my question remains, how many times can you mark down the maximum strokes you can take per your handicap per round? If you are a 10-19, that maximum score is 7. Can I post four scores of 7 per round if I blow up on four holes, say all our par 3s?

Β 

Β 

I'm not sure your question and the link you provided are the same thing.... If I understand your question, you can apply ESC on every hole you play in a round. Of course, I have a rule- if I am applying ESC on every hole, by the 9th or 10th hole, I'm pretty much done for the day.

Β 

The essence of the link you provided is this: "However, opinions were expressed to the USGA by golfers, golf clubs and golf association that it didn't seem right that the single-digit Course Handicap player was not able to post a double bogey on a par-5 but was permitted to post a triple bogey on a par-3."

Β 

In the end, they left the handicap rules the way they were because after testing, they were able to prove it had no real effect on handicaps.

Β 

But I don't think it talks to how many times you can apply ESC in a round. So the answer to your question is yes, you can post 4 7's in a round.

Something that needs to be understood, you don't apply ESC during the round. You mark your ACTUAL SCORE on every hole.

Β 

If you are in a tournament, you submit the scorecard that has your ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

If you are playing a match with your buddies, you settle the bets using the ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

When you go to work on Monday morning and someone asks what you shot, you tell them your ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

After the round is over and you go to the posting sheet or computer at the club or at home to post the score into the handicap system, then you apply ESC and post the ADJUSTED SCORE. This is the only time you should be thinking about ESC and that is the only time the ADJUSTED SCORE should be considered.

Something that needs to be understood, you don't apply ESC during the round. You mark your ACTUAL SCORE on every hole.

Β 

If you are in a tournament, you submit the scorecard that has your ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

If you are playing a match with your buddies, you settle the bets using the ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

When you go to work on Monday morning and someone asks what you shot, you tell them your ACTUAL SCORE.

Β 

After the round is over and you go to the posting sheet or computer at the club or at home to post the score into the handicap system, then you apply ESC and post the ADJUSTED SCORE. This is the only time you should be thinking about ESC and that is the only time the ADJUSTED SCORE should be considered.

Β 

This post is worth reading twice and remembering.

Titleist TS2Β - Diamana White S
Taylormade M4, 16.5*

Ping G410 Crossover 20*
Callaway Apex Pro 4-P
Titleist SM6/8 52*,56*,60*
Scotty Cameron NewportΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

This post is worth reading twice and remembering.

I would make an additional plea to neophyte golfers (and others). If you are playing match play or a better-ball match, and a hole or putt is conceded (or you are out of the hole and your partner's score is the one that will count), PICK UP! The handicap methodology says to put down the score you most like would have made -- you don't actually have to hole out if you've won the hole or it's only your partner's score that will count in the better-ball.

Β 

If your opponent concedes a 1 foot putt, add one more stroke; if he concedes the hole and you have a 25 foot putt, add two more strokes for handicap purposes because it's likely you would 2-putt. And, if you lie 8 in the fairway after 2 OBs and can reasonably estimate that you can hit the green and two putt, take an 11, use ESC for your handicap max score, and move on. We all do it when have a disaster, have lost the hole, or our own score no longer matters in the better-ball match. It will speed up play and everyone will appreciate it.

As for the question about ESC, it is mind numbing to me, to think that anyone is not aware of this. Especially after 12 years. Although I have seen some pretty experienced golfers apply it incorrectly - for example, using triple bogie max versus 7.

Β 

Well, it depends on how *experienced*.

ESC rules have changed since I started playing in the 70's.

So, maybe they are unaware that the rules changed....years ago.

Β 

Triple bogey WAS an ESC score when I started. All ESC scores were strokes over par

for the hole (which, by the way, I think is fairer), not the specific number they are now.

Β 

And, no, that excuse is not to say that the players mentioned in the quote just

don't know what their doing.

Β 

Oh, how many can you take....

you can post 18 ESC max scores, if that was your round.

Enough rounds like this, and your handicap will go up...

probably to a point where your ESC max will go up too. :)

Β 

Another oh....everything mentioned in this thread should have been explained to

every player by the handicap committee when the process to get that handicap began.

Another thing to watch out for is the fact that your ESC max is determined by your handicap that day on a particular course from the specific tee you played. You could be a 16,2 index and play from the back tees on a tough course, making your course handicap 20 in that situation which brings your max up to 8 instead of the typical 7 for a "16" handicap.

Β 

If some people don't even know about ESC, I wonder how many take the care required as described above? You actually have to use a chart or go to the USGA's website to calculate your course handicap, and I suspect there aren't too many people doing that!

Β 

Β 

Triple bogey WAS an ESC score when I started. All ESC scores were strokes over par

for the hole (which, by the way, I think is fairer), not the specific number they are now.

Β 

I don't like the fact that with ESC, players with handicaps between 10 and 19 can post a quadruple bogie 7 on par 3 holes. This is an open invitation for crafty sandbaggers to easily pad their handicap.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73Β 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73Β 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

every player by the handicap committee when the process to get that handicap began.

Β 

Β 

What?

Β 

Me: "I'd like to sign up for the handicap service."

Β 

Guy behind the counter (GBC): "$30. How would you like to pay for that?"

Β 

Me: "Mastercard."

Β 

GBC: "Have you had a handicap before?"

Β 

Me: "No."

Β 

GBC: "OK, I'll set you up in the computer. [After setup.] OK, click here and here, find your name, course, and enter your score."

Β 

Me: "Cool. Thanks."

Β 

GBC: "No problem. Have a nice day. By the way, you can also enter your scored on the GHIN web site- there's a flyer up on the bulletin board explaining how to do it."

Β 

Me: "Great! Thanks for all your help."

Β 

Β 

Where was the explanation of ESC in that conversation? I'm not trying to be flippant... I just think it is now encumbant upon the golfer to read the rules. New or inexperienced golfers (like myself) should spend a good amount of time on the USGA web site. No one is gonna explain it to you in most cases. In fact, at the risk of the GolfWRX gods mashing me with a 5 iron, new golfers (or those who haven't read the rules in awhile) should spend more time there then here. We'd all benefit.

Β 

I tripped across ESC when I was brand new and knew I wanted to eventually establish a handicap. I started reading, and reading, and reading- no one explained anything to me. Once I got proficient enough, I asked a few questions here to get the holes filled in.

Β 

Β 

Where was the explanation of ESC in that conversation? I'm not trying to be flippant... I just think it is now encumbant upon the golfer to read the rules. New or inexperienced golfers (like myself) should spend a good amount of time on the USGA web site. No one is gonna explain it to you in most cases. In fact, at the risk of the GolfWRX gods mashing me with a 5 iron, new golfers (or those who haven't read the rules in awhile) should spend more time there then here. We'd all benefit.

Β 

I tripped across ESC when I was brand new and knew I wanted to eventually establish a handicap. I started reading, and reading, and reading- no one explained anything to me. Once I got proficient enough, I asked a few questions here to get the holes filled in.

Β 

Yep, AND how to repair a ball mark on the green AND how to fix a divot (replace or fill with soil mix?) AND how to enter/exit a bunker AND where to stand when someone is hitting AND where to park a cart AND....

Β 

But it's still relatively easy for beginners; they're still receptive and malleable. Now I'd like to know how the heck to tell a guy who has been playing golf for 25 years and is a 5 handicap that he STILL doesn't know how to fix a ball mark properly AND maintain a handicap AND....

Β 

The USGA website? Fantastic idea (among other sources) for getting info on rules, handicaps, course maintenance and etiquette. MUCH better than the blind leading the blind and the dissemination of misinformation on Internet golf websites. Please give opinions (hopefully informed) about equipment you like (TM good; Nike sucks; forged blades good; white tees are the best), but when it comes to facts about the rules of golf or the USGA handicap system, if you don't KNOW, don't speculate or guess, look it up so you can provide a definitive answer or provide a link to the USGA website.