scraz7's WITB

Updated w/ pics of classic blades (irons and putters) - 6/1/09
Nothing in my bag is too terribly exciting so I will not post too many pictures of things that are not remotely exotic. In the past few years I have gone through a lot more clubs than I am accustomed too (but not compared to a lot of you guys). I used to play golf competitively as a junior but I don't get to play as much as I would like now (I am 25, married, the proud father of an 11-month old, finishing school, and working nights). Until recently I played the exact same clubs for about 7 years. I hope that this bag can also log the same mileage (I can dream, can't I?). Enough Rambling, here are the pics and descriptions.

Driver: R7 Limited 9.5* w/ V2 67 X-flex. I was previously playing a 905R, but I wanted something with a neutral face and a stouter shaft.

3-wood: Taylormade Burner 14.5* w/ Rombax TP S-flex. This replaced my i3 3 wood that was in the bag for about 7 years.

2-iron: Ping Eye2 w/ JZ S-flex. When I played my best I hit a lot of 2 irons off the tee. I jumped on the hybrid bandwagon and found that it just doesn't work for me. I just feel more comfortable hitting a 2 iron. I have a DG S300 to put into this, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised with the JZ and the lighter swingweight. I also have a Tilteist 690.CB 2-iron that is fighting for a spot.

3-PW: Titleist 735.CM w/ DGS300. This is the third set of irons I have ever owned. I started out with an old set of early 80s Wilson Staff blades (FG-17) and followed those up with a set of Titleist 990s that I bagged for about 7 years.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 51* and 56*. The wedges were the hardest thing for me to replace. I previously gamed a set of Cleveland 900 RTGs for about 7 years also. These aren't quite the same, but with the lighter swingweight, nifty grind, and more rounded teardrop shape they are working quite well for me. Also, I do sometimes carry a lob wedge (588) if it is absolutely necessary for a certain course, but I have always been a golfer who likes to hit a lot of different shots with one wedge as opposed to a few shots with a lot of wedges.

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C-03. Before this I gamed a very old Ping Anser with a nice patina. This putter has been in the bag for about a year and a half and is not going anywhere soon.

Headcovers: My mother-in-law recently made these headcovers for me. I like that they are little different from anything that anyone else has.

Sorry for the longwinded introduction. Here are the pics.

Here is a description of some of the updated pics (6/1/09).

Here is the 6 iron from the set that I learned to play golf with. Also is a side by side pic with my current 6 iron.

Nothing says classic to me like a bullseye. Also included is a pic of the one Scotty Cameron product that I own, a headcover made just for a bullseye (My brother found it in a garbage can on the day that the club he worked at got new putter covers from the club).

And lastly, here are some pics of a Macgregor Tommy Armour Iron Master.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.5* Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 915F 13.5* Diamana S+ 70X
Ping G 20.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 9.2X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW C-Taper 130X
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F, 54S, & 60K DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock #6 or Mizuno Bettinardi C-03

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think thats a pretty sweet set up, much respect for the 2 iron, and i think the limited with the v2 great combo.

How do u find the Mizuno wedge, so people say its a love it or hate it thing.

Dave

Thanks for the compliments. I like the wedges, but I wouldn't recommend them to people who are diggers or who play in soft conditions because the leading edges play pretty sharp. I live in AZ so soft conditions aren't much of a problem for me and I tend pick the ball pretty clean with my wedges. I really like the grind also, because it makes the sand wedge really versatile. And I like the fact that a 51 is available, because it plays a lot like a traditional PW (before really strong lofts).

solid setup,but living in az. shouldn't you be all Ping! :lol:

I wouldn't have any trouble playing all Ping. Actually it is funny because I almost could have ended up that way. I chose the R7 over the G10, S57s are my favorite irons out right now (I am just not in the market for new irons), I almost bought a Tour-W gap wedge, and after much agonizing I picked the Bettinardi over the Redwood. Thanks for looking, and thanks for the compliments.

I used to game an eye 2+ 2 iron...I LOVED that thing, until I used it on a par 3 once and the shaft snapped upon impact! Never got it reshafted, got it layin around somewhere.

I am in love with the 2 iron. I am just so much more comfortable with it than any of the hybrids I have tried.

Thanks for all of the compliments on my bag. I have to thank GolfWRX for helping me get back to playing equipment that works the best for me (although I probably can thank GolfWRX for causing me to play equipment that didn't work the best for me) ;) .

Nice setup, I use the same irons as well just the stainless steel model, Lefty of course!

I think these clubs are awesome regardless of what side of the ball you stand on. I felt really comfortable with my old 990s, but I liked that I hit the 735 short irons a little lower than my previous ones and I hit the long irons a little higher.

Thats a true players set.

Thanks for the complement. Now if only I was still a "true player" (as opposed to a guy who used to play golf well and just hopes to recapture some past magic every once in a while).

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice all-round.

Those FG-17s are beauties.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Alright, now that ILoverickystevekarl called it a "true players set" i am curious what your current HDCP is?

Trust me, this has nothing to do with you....I am just always curious why people think what they do.

Thanks,

Hacker

so we are both sharing, my current index is a +.3.

Thanks for the complement. Now if only I was still a "true player" (as opposed to a guy who used to play golf well and just hopes to recapture some past magic every once in a while).

Alright, now that ILoverickystevekarl called it a "true players set" i am curious what your current HDCP is?

Trust me, this has nothing to do with you....I am just always curious why people think what they do.

Thanks,

Hacker

so we are both sharing, my current index is a +.3.

I assume you are asking me what my current handicap is and not "ILoverickystevekarl" I currently play to a four, but that is because of lack of practice and playing (if I am lucky I practice or play once a month, and usually the practice I get in is chipping and putting). As a junior I was a scratch golfer and played in a lot of tournaments throughout the western US. I don't consider myself much of a player anymore though, because I know that I don't play anywhere close to as well as I used to.

I used to game an eye 2+ 2 iron...I LOVED that thing, until I used it on a par 3 once and the shaft snapped upon impact! Never got it reshafted, got it layin around somewhere.

I am in love with the 2 iron. I am just so much more comfortable with it than any of the hybrids I have tried.

Just an FYI - I played the Ping 2 iron (actually 2- 6)for many years - very good club. I tried the Titleist 503h hyrbid (19 *) (this is the iron like looking hybrid). I am big fan of this club. Very comparible to the Ping 2 iron - except when you get in the rough. The Hybrid seems to work a bit better in tougher lies. I actually went and got the 22 * also for this year. You can see my set make-up in my profile below.

They don't make the 503h anymore - but you can find them used for about $30.00.

Food for thought.

Thanks ssp for the input. I have an Adams Idea Pro 20* that I carried in the bag for a year and a half. I hit it very well, but I just feel more comfortable with my trusty 2 iron off the tee. I have toyed with the idea of dropping my 3 iron and carrying the 2 iron and the hybrid (I would hit the 2 iron off the tee and the hybrid into greens). Maybe I will need to check out the 503h. Although I think I have hit it before, but when I hit it I still wasn't very open to the idea of playing a hybrid. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks ssp for the input. I have an Adams Idea Pro 20* that I carried in the bag for a year and a half. I hit it very well, but I just feel more comfortable with my trusty 2 iron off the tee. I have toyed with the idea of dropping my 3 iron and carrying the 2 iron and the hybrid (I would hit the 2 iron off the tee and the hybrid into greens). Maybe I will need to check out the 503h. Although I think I have hit it before, but when I hit it I still wasn't very open to the idea of playing a hybrid. Thanks again for the input.

If the majority of the use of your 2 iron is off the tee for accuracy - then I would stay with it. I think I am similar to you in that I have more confidence and hit an 'iron' more accurately. The idea pro is a small profile hybrid but the titleist 503h is more iron like.

My results comparison with the 503h vs ping eye 2 2 iron

• confidence and accuracy - the same. mainly because both play like an iron.
  • Ping 2 iron - off the tee box - no wind. I could hit this about 230-240.
  • 503h - 19* - off the tee box - I hit this 225 - 255 - the main reason for the larger variance is that I can choke the 503h a full inch and still maintain trajectory. I couldnt do that as well with the Ping 2 iron. Overall it is more versatile.
  • Trajectory - overall - very similar. the 503h behaves more like an iron than any other hybrid. The hybrids have a tendency to play like a 5 -7 wood versus a 1 -3 iron.
  • 503h - 22* - I cut it down to 4 iron length. I hit it 195 - 220. This allowed me to drop my 3 & 4 iron.

Just more food for thought.... not trying to talk you into a change - but since I have had a similar bag and similar experience - thought it would be good to share.