New Golf Guru 4

Well crap, after just bragging on GG and the G4 I have an issue. I just tried to download some standard mapped courses on my G4, the first time since I uploaded the new software. I went to the GG website and selected them in the list and they show up on my courses list under "My Guru." But when I go to Sync them I get nothing transfered to the G4.

Has anyone downloaded anything since the software update?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went in, added two standard courses to my list and synched the Guru 4. It downloaded both of those and two others that were apparently updated since my last synch. If you also own another Guru, did you make sure you had clicked on the correct device before clicking on the "add Courses" button? I think that it is unfortunate that the course lists are restricted to a particular device. If you took the time to edit a course or maybe even map an entire course with the 002 or 003 I sure would want to be able to download it to my new 4! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

[quote name='phil75070' post='1888704' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:04 PM']I just went in, added two standard courses to my list and synched the Guru 4. It downloaded both of those and two others that were apparently updated since my last synch. If you also own another Guru, did you make sure you had clicked on the correct device before clicking on the "add Courses" button? I think that it is unfortunate that the course lists are restricted to a particular device. If you took the time to edit a course or maybe even map an entire course with the 002 or 003 I sure would want to be able to download it to my new 4! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.[/quote]

I have only one Guru. I have not edited anything on the G4

Edited Note: I uninstalled the newest Guru Utility 2.0.4.10 and installed the older utility I had on file which is 2.0.4.4 and installed it. It worked like it used to and reinstalled all of the courses I had in my course list on the Guru website including the three that wouldn't load with the new utility. I will call Guru on Monday. It sure would be nice if they had some tech help available on the weekends.

[quote]Well crap, after just bragging on GG and the G4 I have an issue. I just tried to download some standard mapped courses on my G4, the first time since I uploaded the new software. I went to the GG website and selected them in the list and they show up on my courses list under "My Guru." But when I go to Sync them I get nothing transfered to the G4.[/quote]

I'm thinking this might be an issue with 2.0.4.10. or possibly the website itself. I've noticed it as well. What browser are you using? I was using IE7 when it did this, then switched over to Firefox and it seemed to work fine. If you see this with IE7, try unchecking one of the courses you have checked for use, then run the sync. After it downloads your list, add the course you just unchecked and sync again. Seems to work. Two syncs with this utility is probabaly faster then one sync with the previous versions, depending on how many courses you keep on your Guru.

I also noticed that the select all, and unselect all buttons at the bottom of your course list on the web does not work with my IE7, but works fine with Firefox. They must be using Firefox for development, and not checking everything as well in IE. I really want to go to Firefox exclusively, but it just operates a little differently than IE in some areas I've grown accustomed to, so I haven't completely jumped ship yet.

[quote name='pflogger' post='1889426' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:52 AM'][quote]Well crap, after just bragging on GG and the G4 I have an issue. I just tried to download some standard mapped courses on my G4, the first time since I uploaded the new software. I went to the GG website and selected them in the list and they show up on my courses list under "My Guru." But when I go to Sync them I get nothing transfered to the G4.[/quote]

I'm thinking this might be an issue with 2.0.4.10. or possibly the website itself. I've noticed it as well. What browser are you using? I was using IE7 when it did this, then switched over to Firefox and it seemed to work fine. If you see this with IE7, try unchecking one of the courses you have checked for use, then run the sync. After it downloads your list, add the course you just unchecked and sync again. Seems to work. Two syncs with this utility is probabaly faster then one sync with the previous versions, depending on how many courses you keep on your Guru.

I also noticed that the select all, and unselect all buttons at the bottom of your course list on the web does not work with my IE7, but works fine with Firefox. They must be using Firefox for development, and not checking everything as well in IE. I really want to go to Firefox exclusively, but it just operates a little differently than IE in some areas I've grown accustomed to, so I haven't completely jumped ship yet.
[/quote]

I tried it on Firefox first and then IE7 and it didn't work on either. I just started using Firefox about a month ago. I still use Ie7 some because of the 12 or more years of bookmarks I have saved and organized. FF has a selection to use these but they are not organized very well.

I received my Nav package yesterday. It included a suction mount with another G4 clip on cradle and a car charger cord. What it didn't include was any operation instructions. I did get an email from GG yesterday with a doc file telling me how to config the Nav card which went very easily. I did fumble through a demo. One thing I noticed was that the internal speaker in the G4 was a bit tinny and difficult for my 60 year old ears to understand so I don't know how useful it will be. An earphone set might be an option but I hate them. Is there anyway to plug in a better speaker into the earphone jack? I remember years ago you could get a small set of speakers to plug into a walkman type radio. Anywho, for $30 I think this is a pretty good deal. I will be driving next week to a remotely located course and will see how it works.

Hello Rickochet,

Check out the Guru website under support/user guides for more info on the RoadNav stuff:

[url="http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/ggg/pdf/roadnav_man.pdf"]http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/...roadnav_man.pdf[/url]

[url="http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/ggg/pdf/roadnav_qs.pdf"]http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/.../roadnav_qs.pdf[/url]

[quote name='pflogger' post='1889573' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:51 AM']Hello Rickochet,

Check out the Guru website under support/user guides for more info on the RoadNav stuff:

[url="http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/ggg/pdf/roadnav_man.pdf"]http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/...roadnav_man.pdf[/url]

[url="http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/ggg/pdf/roadnav_qs.pdf"]http://www.gpsgolfguru.com/images/stories/.../roadnav_qs.pdf[/url][/quote]

Very nice, thanks pflogger.

[quote name='jwknow' post='1883151' date='Aug 12 2009, 01:58 PM'][quote name='Howie' post='1881928' date='Aug 12 2009, 12:05 AM'][quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1881739' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:38 PM']Back to the blue buttons...an X means they are not going to map it or it is not available on your model.[/quote]

So if one has an older model (e.g., GG2) and is curious if certain courses are available in the AerVu format, is there a way to make this determination?

Thanks,
[/quote]

I emailed them yesterday with that exact question. Didn't want to order the G4 only to find out they aren't going to have any AerVu maps in my area. I'll post when I get a reply from them.

JW
[/quote]

Here is the reply from I received from GolfGuru:

WE do not have a mechanism in place for non Guru4 owners to search through the AerVu course database at this time, but i can tell you that the selection is limited right now. We are only mapping courses that are requested by our users and are mapping the request in a two week time period. If you request to have an AerVu map made the the standard will be added to your account until the AerVu map is ready for download. We are now giving 100 AerVu map credits to all Guru4 users until October at which time our original pricing structure will resume.

JW

Well, I got to tinker with the G4 Nav today. I had an errand across town. I went to "Points of Interest" selected "gas stations" and selected "Shell" knowing there was one next to where I was going. I selected it and it quickly figured out the route. I headed out and was amazed how the the moving map showed my vehicle and how the map turned as I did. This is my first use of a Nav GPS and I am sure they all work basically the same. But I was really impressed. I made a few intentional wrong turns and it immediately planned a new course and started talking me through it. It is impossible to get lost with one of these. I went to a golf outing in Indy a few weeks ago and got lost. This would have really come in handy.

Not having used one before I found it very easy to figure out from the get go. The suction mount worked very nicely and I had no trouble understanding the verbal information while moving. For $30 this is a really incredible deal.

Also I have fat fingers and did not have to use the stylus to even use the keyboard. On my return trip home I typed in my neighbor's addy. You start with the full keyboard and as you type in the first few letters it then only displays the most probable letters you will need next then goes to some autofill selections. Very easy to use.

[quote name='PlaneMaker' post='1890233' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:31 PM']Rickochet, could you tell how current the maps were for the Navigation software?[/quote]

I don't have a clue. If you can tell me where to look I would be happy to poke around.

The entry screen says Invogation Odessey 2009 with NavTeQ Maps in a small window in the corner.

On another screen I found Invogation 2009.7 (Build 1291.1158).

[quote name='cpoliq01' post='1890314' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:26 PM']Got my Nav software in the mail today. Inserted the card, started following the instructions, when I got to the Navigation set box, I did not have a "Storage Card" folder. Tried reloading, no luck. Guess I'll call GG on Monday.[/quote]

It did that on mine at first. I am not sure what I did but it finally showed the Storage Card folder.

[quote name='duffer' post='1890346' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:40 PM']Rickochet,
I experienced the same issue adding courses to my G4 that you described earlier. A work around for me was to UNSELECT all the courses and SYNC. That removed all courses, I then SELECTED them all, and performed a SYNC and it pushed all the maps. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks duffer. I don't use the scoring or stats at the present so I don't need to sync unless I need another course. Using the old utility got the new courses I needed. Just another glitch I am sure GG will catch up with soon. Just a minor inconvenience to me. After getting the Nav package running today I am one happy camper.

[quote name='Howie' post='1881928' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1881739' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:38 PM']Back to the blue buttons...an X means they are not going to map it or it is not available on your model.[/quote]

So if one has an older model (e.g., GG2) and is curious if certain courses are available in the AerVu format, is there a way to make this determination?

Thanks,
[/quote]

Yeah, my question also. If I don't login, there are 9 courses aervu mapped in NC. When I log in, it shows most (all) courses with the aervu blue button X'd out. So, does it mean the map isn't available/not mapped or isn't available for my GG2?

[quote name='h2ohzrd' post='1891337' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:52 AM'][quote name='Howie' post='1881928' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1881739' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:38 PM']Back to the blue buttons...an X means they are not going to map it or it is not available on your model.[/quote]

Thanks,
[/quote]

Yeah, my question also. If I don't login, there are 9 courses aervu mapped in NC. When I log in, it shows most (all) courses with the aervu blue button X'd out. So, does it mean the map isn't available/not mapped or isn't available for my GG2?
[/quote]
So GG answered my question but, as you can read, not the answer I was looking for. They make it sound like I have to buy the unit before they will even consider mapping. Otherwise, too freakin bad, or at least that's the impression they are giving me. Maybe I caught them on a bad day? Their response "it will probably be a while before we map it" doesn't make me want to trade my GG2 for a GG4. Heck, it makes me want to look at other companies offers.
"You cannot see the AerVu maps when you are logged in because they are not available on your GG002. Initially we are only mapping courses that our Guru4 users request. So unless someone that has a Guru4 plays the course you are looking for, [b]it will probably be a while before we map it[/b]. [b]This way we can ensure that we are only creating AerVu courses that are relevant to our Guru4 users[/b]. Regards, Support" :scare2:

[quote name='h2ohzrd' post='1891355' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:09 PM']One more question. For those of you who had the GG2 and now have the GG4, is the GG4 easier/harder or same as the GG2 to see in sunlight?[/quote]

I asked this question and I don't recall ever getting and answer. But comparing my G4 to a bud's Golf Buddy color unit the G4 screen was brighter.

[quote]You cannot see the AerVu maps when you are logged in because they are not available on your GG002[/quote]

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Try using the drop down box for "Filters" and select "Only AerVu". Whether you are logged in or not, and no matter what type of device you have, it will show you only courses that have an AerVu map already available.

[quote name='pflogger' post='1892020' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:19 PM'][quote]You cannot see the AerVu maps when you are logged in because they are not available on your GG002[/quote]

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Try using the drop down box for "Filters" and select "Only AerVu". Whether you are logged in or not, and no matter what type of device you have, it will show you only courses that have an AerVu map already available.
[/quote]

That works. 58 courses are AerVu mapped in Texas.

[quote name='h2ohzrd' post='1891724' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:39 PM'][quote name='h2ohzrd' post='1891337' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:52 AM'][quote name='Howie' post='1881928' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='ChoppingBrocolli' post='1881739' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:38 PM']Back to the blue buttons...an X means they are not going to map it or it is not available on your model.[/quote]

Thanks,
[/quote]

[/quote]
So GG answered my question but, as you can read, not the answer I was looking for. They make it sound like I have to buy the unit before they will even consider mapping. Otherwise, too freakin bad, or at least that's the impression they are giving me. Maybe I caught them on a bad day? Their response "it will probably be a while before we map it" doesn't make me want to trade my GG2 for a GG4. Heck, it makes me want to look at other companies offers.
"You cannot see the AerVu maps when you are logged in because they are not available on your GG002. Initially we are only mapping courses that our Guru4 users request. So unless someone that has a Guru4 plays the course you are looking for, [b]it will probably be a while before we map it[/b]. [b]This way we can ensure that we are only creating AerVu courses that are relevant to our Guru4 users[/b]. Regards, Support" :scare2:
[/quote]

Not a real surprise there. They are probably snowed under with requests from those have already bought the GG4. If I was running GG I would make sure that those who bought units were getting their requests mapped first until things calmed down.

[quote name='pflogger' post='1892020' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:19 PM'][quote]You cannot see the AerVu maps when you are logged in because they are not available on your GG002[/quote]

[/quote]

Where do you find the drop down box for "Filters?" I have looked everywhere on the GG website.

Nevermind, I finally found it when I selected to search for all courses in my state. Bummer, only 3 courses Aervu mapped in Kentucky at present.

[quote name='PlaneMaker' post='1890233' date='Aug 15 2009, 07:31 PM']Rickochet, could you tell how current the maps were for the Navigation software?[/quote]
I asked GG the same question.

[left][size=2]Yes, this is the latest release, and seems to match up with the Garmin units we run side by side during testing. Both companies use the Navteq map database to generate maps, and in the locations we have been testing, they both seem to give the same information.[/size][/left] [left] [/left] [left][size=2]Regards,[/size][/left] [left][size=2]Golf Guru Sales

Dennis
[/size][/left]

I'm currently a G002 owner but tried the G004 early on and ended up returning it. It seems to me that based on some of the posts here there were options for some people to hang in and were given an extension on the 30 day trial period. I hope that Guru would not treat customers differently by not offering the same option to everyone. Now that the update is out and some new features added at minimal cost, I now have mixed feelings about the Guru company and their customer service because I was not told of any updates in the near future.

The Guru site still advertises 14 plus hours on a battery charge and was wondering if anyone has been able to reach that kind of usage before a recharge?

Have a great day,
Bunks

[quote name='bunks10' post='1896870' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:44 AM']I'm currently a G002 owner but tried the G004 early on and ended up returning it. It seems to me that based on some of the posts here there were options for some people to hang in and were given an extension on the 30 day trial period. I hope that Guru would not treat customers differently by not offering the same option to everyone. Now that the update is out and some new features added at minimal cost, I now have mixed feelings about the Guru company and their customer service because I was not told of any updates in the near future.

The Guru site still advertises 14 plus hours on a battery charge and was wondering if anyone has been able to reach that kind of usage before a recharge?

Have a great day,
Bunks[/quote]

You simply may have returned your unit prior to some of the changes which were a result of the feedback gotten.

I am sure that if some of the software changes/add ons happened after you returned the product that GG would be more than happy to give you another chance to give it a go. Just give them a call.

[quote name='bunks10' post='1896870' date='Aug 18 2009, 10:44 AM']I'm currently a G002 owner but tried the G004 early on and ended up returning it. It seems to me that based on some of the posts here there were options for some people to hang in and were given an extension on the 30 day trial period. I hope that Guru would not treat customers differently by not offering the same option to everyone. Now that the update is out and some new features added at minimal cost, I now have mixed feelings about the Guru company and their customer service because I was not told of any updates in the near future.

Have a great day,
Bunks[/quote]

I think there was an earlier post that GG was considering extending the 30 day period for some who might want to participate in a beta test of a software update. I am guessing that they got a software fix done earlier than anticipated and instead of the beta test option they offered the update to everyone and to boot offered the 100 free Aervu credits and the Nav package for $30. I decided to keep my G4 and used the Nav program to take me to a remote course today and it really works well.

So why would you think badly of Golf Guru? You got a 30 day test and didn't like it and got your money back. You can order another other one and get the discount Nav package and free Aervu credits.

I have only 4 more days to return my G4 under the new software release trial. I am fairly sure I will keep it. My Nav Program arrives tomorrow and based on feedback in this site, it will most likely seal the deal.

I am [u]not satisfied[/u] with the response time to add a AerVu map. Suppose on Monday you get a chance to play a new course the coming Saturday. Want an AerVu map? You are outta luck! Since the release of the 50 free maps deal, wait time is at least 7 days and counting. There needs to be a Priority Request System. Heck I would even pay the $10 to get the map. :golfer:

On another note..Has anyone noticed that after synching the G4 with recent rounds (no stats option) that PUTTS per hole are added to the 'My Rounds' grid even though PUTTS made was not an option? A 2-putt is defaulted into each box. Man, I wish I could 2-putt every green.