2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golfers Warehouse (hartford, ct) being bought out?

widwio

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if anyone has any info on this subject. My gf was there yesterday (hartford store) buying some gear and rep told her they were being bought out soon, therefore all sales are final. I dont know if this appllies to the other stores in CT, Ma, or RI

I worked in one of their Mass. stores from 2005-2006. There were rumors going around back then about them being bought. I guess it finally happened. The Hartford store is their flagship store so I would imagine that if gets sold, the rest of the stores will go with it.

this is a great store that i have bought a bunch of stuff from over the years...interestingly, about a month ago i asked if they would come down on an older fw wood from one of the major oems that was getting cleared out online. i prefer to buy in a store if the price is close...they were off about $40 on a $130 club. didn't ask for a price match but to come down a little and the guy gave me a pitch about how the clubs are probably fake with grips made out of old tires! i know there are a lot of counterfit clubs out there, but i left laughing at the idea that someone was knocking off 2 year old fairway woods and pushing them through one of the online shops for $89.

if this place goes, the hartford area will only have dicks sporting goods and course pro shops --

this is a great store that i have bought a bunch of stuff from over the years...interestingly, about a month ago i asked if they would come down on an older fw wood from one of the major oems that was getting cleared out online. i prefer to buy in a store if the price is close...they were off about $40 on a $130 club. didn't ask for a price match but to come down a little and the guy gave me a pitch about how the clubs are probably fake with grips made out of old tires! i know there are a lot of counterfit clubs out there, but i left laughing at the idea that someone was knocking off 2 year old fairway woods and pushing them through one of the online shops for $89.

if this place goes, the hartford area will only have dicks sporting goods and course pro shops --

I have had same experience at Gw, they are very high on alot of prices especially prior years models. I had a speeder 757 shaft installed there a couple years back and guys there gave me same talk about its a knock off, lol. The only thing Ive heard since yesterday is it was bought by private investors, whatever that means. Hopefully it going to be an Edwin Watts/ Golfsmith/ or even a dedicated Golf Galaxy/Dicks.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I will sometimes go to the Danvers Ma store on occasion which is pretty much a joke. The employees there are very arrogant, acting like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you, they basically stand around and talk to each other and act like you are butting in on a private conversation if you try to ask them a question about an item. I have also had the same "dont buy ANYTHING off the internet" run ins with them... they seemed to have been through corporate meetings telling them to tell everybody that brings up Ebay or the internet in their stores that "oh, if you bought it from someone on the 'net its a counterfeit for sure". The staff there was actually pretty funny because they talked like they were the end all, be all of golf knowledge but the stuff that used to fly out of their mouths was incredibly funny and untrue. Basically they were a bunch of condescending bozo's who knew little or nothing about golf product knowledge. I can just imagine how many customers who didn't know much about buying golf clubs were misguided by these goof balls. I am actually surprised that the Danvers store in particular has survived this long with employees like this, they lasted longer than I thought they would. This employee attitude was through out the store as well from management right down to the salesmen and the club repair guys....oh dont even get me started on the quality/professionalism of the club repair guys as I could go on for a long time if i got started on those guys...LMAO. Maybe I put too much weight on the importance of having informed-helpful-friendly employees to do well in the golf business, but to me you need that to survive these days as with the bad economy and the competition from the internet you need to have an edge over the competition and good employees is the best way to do that. Just my $.02

If this is true, what a sad day indeed. I work in Hartford and have spent countless lunch hours at GW. Hopefully whoever purchases them will maintain the high level of satisfaction that at least the Hartford location enjoys, at least IMO.

FWIW, I had noticed the dwindling inventory of late and wondered why...I guess now I have the answer.

Crap! I hope they remain open. They are the only store in the area that has a decent selection. I have come to trust their club repair center staff and have really benefited from their insight. I will admit that at certain times the sales staff can be a little tough to take but on the whole the folks that work there aren't that bad.

My father buys all his clubs at GW. I just told him the news... a sad day indeed. Worst yet, I will no longer have a go-to last minute gift (GW gift card) for his birthday/father's day.

Does anyone know of any other retailer in the Hartford/New Haven area that will allow you to demo clubs on the golf course and not just on a mat in the store?

This is terrible news. I have had good and bad experiences with GW over the years, but since I moved a couple years ago and have been going to the Natick store I have had nothing but good service. The club repair person in the Natick store is one of the nicest and most helpful guys I have ever dealt with. The Burlington store is not too bad either.

We have one here in RI and I played with a guy who works there on Wed.. He didn't mention anything about it and we talked quite a bit about the economy and golf sales. I used to buy a lot of clubs off the used rack but they haven't had anything in months. I thought that was really odd as I'd have bought at least a half dozen clubs by now with guys trading in for new stuff. Patrick Sheehan's castoffs used to turn up there all the time. Got a few tour issue drivers and fairway woods off that rack.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was true. I've noticed that the current inventory seems to be heavy on last year's product and there isn't too much on the new side with the exception of a few OEMs...at least at the Natick store. I haven't really purchased anything of substance from them in a while but I definitely visit the tech center quite a bit. It would be a shame if they shuttered the store but maybe a new owner could help breathe new life into the company.

The Warehouse has been going downhill for awhile now. I highly recommend that you guys check out a former Golfers Warehouse employees store in Portland. It's called Chris Cote's Golf Shop, what a great person to deal with and their pricing is spot on with the Dicks, TGW, and Watts. Their inventory is astounding and you won't find a better person than Chris to deal with.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was true. I've noticed that the current inventory seems to be heavy on last year's product and there isn't too much on the new side with the exception of a few OEMs...at least at the Natick store. I haven't really purchased anything of substance from them in a while but I definitely visit the tech center quite a bit. It would be a shame if they shuttered the store but maybe a new owner could help breathe new life into the company.

Who says that just becuase they're being bought that they're closing? Also, could just be the Hartford store, too. We really don't know much about the situation.

Although, i have noticed the same inventory issues in the Hartford store. I first noticed the shoes..they never even stocked teh SYNR-G from footjoy and the club selection has gone way down, even the used clubs.

The Warehouse has been going downhill for awhile now. I highly recommend that you guys check out a former Golfers Warehouse employees store in Portland. It's called Chris Cote's Golf Shop, what a great person to deal with and their pricing is spot on with the Dicks, TGW, and Watts. Their inventory is astounding and you won't find a better person than Chris to deal with.

Everything you said may be true....but it's in Portland.....Portland! LOL

Everything you said may be true....but it's in Portland.....Portland! LOL

I have no problem driving to Portland from Hartford. There are a lot of courses near the shop which makes it ideal for me to stop by there when I'm playing Quarry or Blackledge. I just stopped by yesterday, they were running a father's day special with 15 percent off the entire purchase, not too shabby. He also has a lot of used drivers and fairway woods from this year's models. Saw a 909D Comp and a couple of G10's and R9's for very good prices.

the used section of clubs comes from trade in's...not many this year, the weather has sucked for golf this year, all companies are giving away free product with a purchase and it sucks for us because it comes out of our inventory and it takes them forever to replenish it because they can't keep up with the demand and they are doing these promo's because golf in general is down nationwide not just up here in the north...there are reported to be three bids on the company....who gets it...not sure, business has not been bad but when your bank tells you they want out retail go get your money somewhere else, well there's a problem there.

You need large amounts of money to stock the size of our stores and you have to stock what will sell, not what you hope will sell...some companies will help, others will not...just the nature of the business. Someone will buy the chain or we will get $$ for a new bank deal...there is too much on the table for us to go "away"....golf is not the easiest business to run and run with a profit...I only wish the best, there are too many good customers up here and would hate to see the loss of good company, which Golfers Warehouse is...we try are best, good help is hard to find, your not going to be a millionaire working in retail but those who do work have a passion and like all of you its golf...keep your fingers crossed!

The Braintree, Mass store has a very low inventory too. And like nothing in the used rack. I was just in there last week. I thought it was odd but after reading this thread, it makes sense to me now.

I used to go to that one all the time (my schools in btree)... haven't been in a while, but i just heard of this from some guy I played with yesterday. They used to have some good

• 2 weeks later...
My father buys all his clubs at GW. I just told him the news... a sad day indeed. Worst yet, I will no longer have a go-to last minute gift (GW gift card) for his birthday/father's day.

Does anyone know of any other retailer in the Hartford/New Haven area that will allow you to demo clubs on the golf course and not just on a mat in the store?

Chris Cote's Golf Shop in Portland, CT is a great shop that has or can get anything you need. You can demo stuff right out of there similar to what you could do at GW in years past. You pay for the club and bring it back within two weeks and they credit you back.

I went by the Warehouse today to see if I could get any good deals...they had nothing. I couldn't believe at how bare the store looked and how disinterested the employees on the floor were. It looked like a funeral in there.

On a brighter note, I stopped by Chris Cote's Shop today. I was blown away at his used club section. Saw a bunch of Vokey's and Cleveland wedges that were in great shape. He also had a bunch of used drivers and fairway woods from this past year for unbelievable prices. You won't find a better staff to deal with either, very, very knowledgeable guys. They won't hesitate to give you a quick little lesson either. I suggest you guys check them out.

I went by the Warehouse today to see if I could get any good deals...they had nothing. I couldn't believe at how bare the store looked and how disinterested the employees on the floor were. It looked like a funeral in there.

On a brighter note, I stopped by Chris Cote's Shop today. I was blown away at his used club section. Saw a bunch of Vokey's and Cleveland wedges that were in great shape. He also had a bunch of used drivers and fairway woods from this past year for unbelievable prices. You won't find a better staff to deal with either, very, very knowledgeable guys. They won't hesitate to give you a quick little lesson either. I suggest you guys check them out.

You had already suggested guys check CC's shop out. You are quite the advertisement for him.

Does anyone know if there are any deals to be had?

I should be hitting up the Cranston store tomorrow night...

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

• 3 weeks later...