2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

GolfLogix GPS

Make Hulk Angry :(
Ok so I was in Fallon, NV for the past 3 weeks (military work) and one night while watching late night golf infomercials came the GolfLogix GPS. Looks great, sounds great and I even have a few friends that have one and love it. So I order one, just doing the 30 day trial first to make sure that is good to go and when I get home yesterday it is waiting for me in its glorious UPS packaging. So I rip into it, read the one page instructions, do everything to a T like they say and..........it still doesn't work. I have loaded up the USB driver and downloaded the software, registered my GPS unit (so I know the USB driver is working otherwise they wouldn't have been able to register it) and when I go to load my courses it says "Connect and Turn On Your GolfLogix GPS to Continue". I was fortunate enough to get a progress bar but when there was about 10 seconds left it said it could not complete because either the GPS wasn't on, it wasn't connected properly or the batteries were not charged all the way. Brand new batteries. I only was able to get to that part once and all the other times it is saying "Connect and Turn On Your GolfLogix GPS to Continue".
And to top it off, why wouldn't a large GPS company like Garmin be open on a flippin Saturday? If anyone else has had this problem and was able to rectify the situation please give me some insight. And yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, multiple times.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I was in Fallon, NV for the past 3 weeks (military work) and one night while watching late night golf infomercials came the GolfLogix GPS. Looks great, sounds great and I even have a few friends that have one and love it. So I order one, just doing the 30 day trial first to make sure that is good to go and when I get home yesterday it is waiting for me in its glorious UPS packaging. So I rip into it, read the one page instructions, do everything to a T like they say and..........it still doesn't work. I have loaded up the USB driver and downloaded the software, registered my GPS unit (so I know the USB driver is working otherwise they wouldn't have been able to register it) and when I go to load my courses it says "Connect and Turn On Your GolfLogix GPS to Continue". I was fortunate enough to get a progress bar but when there was about 10 seconds left it said it could not complete because either the GPS wasn't on, it wasn't connected properly or the batteries were not charged all the way. Brand new batteries. I only was able to get to that part once and all the other times it is saying "Connect and Turn On Your GolfLogix GPS to Continue".

And to top it off, why wouldn't a large GPS company like Garmin be open on a flippin Saturday? If anyone else has had this problem and was able to rectify the situation please give me some insight. And yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, multiple times.

Yeah, it's not a Garmin product. My father has more than a dozen Garmin units, from Marine, Aircraft, Auto, Hiking, and other models. He has one in every car, each boat, and backups, and none of them have ever had a problem. I think they just use Garmin receivers.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this helps but I have the unit and experienced some bugs for a while. When I finally spoke with tech support and updated the software it has worked beautifully since. As I recall the help I received may have been level 2 tech support but if you persist you should get resolution. I have a sky caddie which I gave to my son. This unit is superior in my mind and worth fixing. I just saw a 2007 model on golf afficianodow for $125. Maybe send yours back and buy that one? By the way, the reception I have experienced is far superior to the sky caddie.

Not sure this helps but hey, it's golf chat.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all... it IS a Garmin product (and a Garmin connector). Based on the Etrex series, and built by Garmin in its entirety. It is provided by Garmin to GolfLogix with enough flash RAM for GolfLogix to burn their proprietary software on to.

It is built like a tank and has worked flawlessly since day one (bought it as soon as it came out).

I still prefer it to any other GPS out there and I have a brand new uPro sitting on my desk, loaned to me by my golf pro, which I have been playing with for the last 4 hours. The uPro is neat, but it is hard to see with the prescription sunglasses I play with (especially in shade on a sunny day), is only on 30 seconds at a time (necessary that it goes to sleep to conserve power), and requires considerable user interaction to get the necessary data.

The GolfLogix's display is always on, automatically changes screens from tee to fairway to green, from hole to hole, and displays the necessary data at a quick glance in sunlight or shade from practically any angle.

I really thought I wanted the uPro (especially with the $100 rebate), and it is cool; but I just don't need another thing to futz with on the golf course (one of the main reasons I ditched my laser rangefinder for a GPS in the first place). The Golflogix shows me distance to and over hazards, end of the fairway, layups to 150,125, and 100, and the green without ever having to touch it. And my playing partner can see it too without needing lessons on how to use it.

Sometimes simpler is better.

It sounds like Hulk just wants to dog one of the main Golf GPS providers. I have the GPS8 model and the Smart Phone application for the Blackberry Curve and have been very happy.

My GPS8 provided faster distance numbers than my buddies Sky Caddie (with the tiny screen) and the distance was dead on compaired to the Sky Caddie. So much so that he would ask me for distance and to see what club to hit.

No complaints from me about GolfLogixs and service.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Tinocogin' post='1840370' date='Jul 24 2009, 03:10 AM']I also have the GPS-8 and it works flawlessly. My only problem is that on my MacBook the profile0.dat file shows up as a graphicconverter file. All attempts to delete the software and reinstall produce the same result. Everything works just fine on the iMac. Anyone know how to delete and reinstall the driver on a Mac?[/quote]
Reinstalling the driver isn't going to make any difference. This is happening because GC has informed Launch Services that it recognizes and can open files with a "dat" extension. You can use the Finder's Get Info to re-attribute that file extension using the "Open With" section (either for just that file, or globally).

Oh... and to the OP who asked why not a USB connector... because they're not water proof.

Cheers!

[quote name='Bizcut1' post='1845261' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:40 PM']Gave up on mine after numerous calls and two replacements (free) - even though CS was great and they tried their best.

The product, the THREE I had at least, were door stops.[/quote]
Wow... that's pretty strange. Did all three units have the same issue? What was it?

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='1845659' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:59 AM'][quote name='Bizcut1' post='1845261' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:40 PM']Gave up on mine after numerous calls and two replacements (free) - even though CS was great and they tried their best.

The product, the THREE I had at least, were door stops.[/quote]
Wow... that's pretty strange. Did all three units have the same issue? What was it?
[/quote]

None of the units would connect to the software past a certain screen. I would get the unit
connected and then go to load courses and get a message saying there were no courses
available for loading....maddening.

Like I said, they tried. One time it was a firmware upgrade that was needed (supposedly), the
next time it was the unit, the third time...I don't even remember now because I was so done
with all the hassle.

Of course, ho that I am, I am now playing with the GolfShot GPS on my IPhone and it is really sweet.

An almost-new SG5 package may be heading to the BST shortly!

:)

Ben

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='1850498' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:59 AM']Ben,

Sounds like a computer problem. Not to say there is really anything wrong with it, most likely just a software/driver conflict.[/quote]

Maybe. I don't know. My MacBook Pro just hasn't had any issues with anything else. You could be right...

I gotta give up to the Golf Logix guys for their customer service...first class. Responsive and honest.

Anyway, all is well as I have a great SG5 that likes my Mac (and vice-versa) and the new
GolfShot on the IPhone is also looking sweet! $30 for everything the UPro, GolfLogix, Guru, etc does!

It's a great time to play with golf toys....especially when its 115 degrees outside here in our
Arizona golf "winter."

Ben

[quote name='Bizcut1' post='1850691' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:10 AM']Maybe. I don't know. My MacBook Pro just hasn't had any issues with anything else. You could be right...

Anyway, all is well as I have a great SG5 that likes my Mac (and vice-versa) and the new
GolfShot on the IPhone is also looking sweet! $30 for everything the UPro, GolfLogix, Guru, etc does![/quote]
Well... plus the 70/month for the iPhone plan. :vava:

I actually had issues with the uPro on my Mac. It was a USB conflict that I was pretty sure was caused by my Skype phone. Normally, when stuff like this happens, checking your console log when trying to mount the device will give you a heads up of what is happening.

GolfShot does look sweet but wish they had a desktop app for saving & analyzing the data. I am looking forward to seeing the Golflogix software as well as they have been doing this for an awfully long time, and we'll finally get a chance to see it in a hand held device thanks to the iPhone SDK.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='1850768' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:42 AM'][quote name='Bizcut1' post='1850691' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:10 AM']Maybe. I don't know. My MacBook Pro just hasn't had any issues with anything else. You could be right...

GolfShot on the IPhone is also looking sweet! $30 for everything the UPro, GolfLogix, Guru, etc does![/quote]
Well... plus the 70/month for the iPhone plan. :vava:

I actually had issues with the uPro on my Mac. It was a USB conflict that I was pretty sure was caused by my Skype phone. Normally, when stuff like this happens, checking your console log when trying to mount the device will give you a heads up of what is happening.

GolfShot does look sweet but wish they had a desktop app for saving & analyzing the data. I am looking forward to seeing the Golflogix software as well as they have been doing this for an awfully long time, and we'll finally get a chance to see it in a hand held device thanks to the iPhone SDK.
[/quote]

Good luck with it!

Play well...Ben.

...tried the iphone Golflogix application last week on the free 24 hr trial...must admit, was impressed. Compared it to my existing Golflogix GS-8 unit, numbers +/- a yard, and the statistics tracking capability is intriguing. Could not figure out tho, how to switch the display back to the next hole after entering the previous holes statistics, but was probably user error.
No issue with battery life, display in sunshine was quite fine.

Have sent email to Golflogix asking if they are going to give existing customers a break on the yearly fees if we also want smartphone account, or want to switch entirely.