Old School

pingshack22

I have been humbled !!!
Recently I played a round with a friend who I used to play with on a regular basis. I showed up with my new bag of sticks from my Hi-Bore to my new Pings. My friend shows up with a Titleist 983K driver, Ping Eye 2 irons, Cleveland 588 wedges and a Ping Anser putter. He said the only thing he has changed in the last five years was his shafts and ball. He proceeded to birdie the last hole and shoot a 74 (on a pretty hard course), while I played decent and finished with a 79. I realized while I am spending my time wandering through the local Edwin Watts and Golfsmith, he was spending his time on his short game at his local course. I have made a promise to myself that I will spend more time practicing and less time trying to find the magical club. I have officially been humbled and hope to escape the world of marketing mania. In reality I know this will not happen, and I will forever be greeted on a first name basis at my local retail golf store :idhitit: .

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist 983K driver, Ping Eye 2 irons, Cleveland 588 wedges and a Ping Anser putter. All great products that I have owned. My scores have not changed all that much since using them. When I ordered my new irons end of last year I sold the Ping S59s that I was playing. so with nothing in the bag, I blew the dust of my Ping Zing 2 irons (the first set of irons I was fitted for) and first time out with them I tied my low round last year. I told myself that I should just keep playing these. That lasted till my m675 blades came in. :idhitit:

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I have made a pact to myself that I will not be changing equiptement in 2006, and learning to love what I do have. That of course was until I sold my J33R this past week in favor for a 905R, but I am being fit for this new driver so I can make that exception.

Otherwise I am going into battle with my J33 3 wood, Halo, J33 Combos and Vokey wedges... The putter may rotate between my TP Mills, Serge, and Cameron Santa Fe - but I need to put more of an effort into hitting greens and taking lessons this year...

:idhitit:

Matt

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Pingshack, you sound kind of like my wife. I have been working on my bag for a year now, tomorrow. I have since completely changed my bag. I have everything I need except a 23* hybrid. I traded in an r540XD, Tommy Armour 845s irons, and a Yes! Callie. I figured I can get a decent trade in value for all this. So anyway as I was loading up my truck to go down to Golfsmith, my wife stopped me and said, "don't you think you need some lessons, before you got out and spend more money on equipment???" I got it anyway, but on the way home I started thinking about my game and how I play, the truth is she's right, I need lessons, I can't even break 95 and I have a golf bag over $1500. So anyway, the moral is we need to quit being club ho's and start actually playing decent.

I feel the same way, i buy all the newest stuff, but continue to go back to the equipment i used years ago, it just feels right.

Will that stop me from picking up the newest dream club, no, but i won't ever part with the old stuff either.

by years ago, you mean currently unreleased tour prototypes by the looks of your signature. :idhitit: :crazy: :crazy:

I feel the same way, i buy all the newest stuff, but continue to go back to the equipment i used years ago, it just feels right.

Will that stop me from picking up the newest dream club, no, but i won't ever part with the old stuff either.

by years ago, you mean currently unreleased tour prototypes by the looks of your signature. :idhitit: :crazy: :crazy:

Good point Matt.

no surprised, (don't take this person), but real players hang on to what works and don't always look for the latest and greatest. Show me a guy who's entire bag is new and I'll show you a guy who will leave a few shots on the course.

I'll second that...some of the best players that I've had the joy of playing with have the oldest stuff. One guy had an OLD Callaway driver (could hit it 280 into the wind), old MP-37's (I think that's the number) that were almost groove-less from hitting the sweet spot everytime, some old wooden 3 wood (no joke) and an black 2-ball putter.

He shot mid 70's and that was the first time he had picked up clubs for the season. It was fun to watch.

--TW

I love this thread!

The way the golf equipment market is right now, the prices are just crazy!!

I can remember when the Cally Steelheads came out and thinking, "They want $200 for a driver???".

I turn over a lot of clubs in my bag, at least I have for the past 5 years. I like to get rid of what I don't like but I try not to replace anything with the latest and greatest. You can stay about two years behind the new stuff out there and still have a solid setup.

Right now I am searching for a 3 wood but I don't want anything brand new to the market since I don't hit a 3 wood that often. I like to set my limits on spending to keep my sanity and to stay out of the dog house with my wife.

The older stuff out there is still solid. I'd put my Eye2 irons up against anything out there right now as far as being as solid and forgiving.

Don't discount any of the older stuff, there are still good older sets out there for a nice price. I think my whole set of Eye2s were $225 and they were refinished.

I always tell the following story ( I can still remember this like it was yesterday). , I walked into a shop circa 1995 and looked at the Great Big Bertha (now tiny, compared to the jumbos). At the time I looked at it and said outloud "oh my god, how the **&^ would use this?", then later saw Steve Jones on the range at TPC Connecticut. This was right before everybody put it in their bag. It seemed enormous at the time. Needless to say 2 months later I had one and used it for 5 years. Now everybody changes every 12 months. Crazy I say.