2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Push Cart comparisons

Sun Mountain Micro vs Click Gear
Am looking to buy a new push cart have really narrowed it down to the new 4 wheel Sun Mountain Micro and the Click Gear. I do drive a mini so the small footprint when folded is the draw of both of these. I like the 4 wheel cart as it seems so easy to fold and unfold, but have not heard many reviews about it at all. I play golf about 4 days a week so looking for something that can certainly hold up over the long haul. Am quite interested to hear any info people have about either cart. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen them in person? I checked out the micro cart and it just didn't seem as sturdy as the clicgear. Also I wasn't sure about the balance. I was in the same situation and waiting for the microcart to come out to make a decision, I ultimately chose the clicgear because it was proven and seemed like a better product hands on. What do you think?

i haven't used or seen the micro cart but i do love my clicgear. the small profile was the first thing that drew me to it as well. i could never fit my bag and cart in my trunk before. now i can fit two bags and the clicgear in my trunk. might even be able to fit two clicgears w/ the two bags. it is very sturdy and still light. i expect to have it for many many years. folding it is a bit awkward at first but after a couple times out it's a breeze. the only downside i would say is pushing it through heavy rough. the wheels are wide (by design) and it takes more effort in the rough. 4 wheels on the micro might do the same, don't know... i don't think it's a huge deal as you can walk the fairway on your way to your ball. obviously smooth on cart paths but i try to keep my cleats off hard ground. lots of reviews of both carts here on the forum.

[quote name='finitesoup' post='1860738' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:26 AM']One thing to consider is if you have a stand bag the clic gear is not a good choice due to the single vertical tube.[/quote]

i use my stand bag (sl 2.5) w/ the clicgear and it stays secure. occasionally it shifts on its side but never a major issue. this is opposed to my cheapo cart where it would slip off if it shifted on its side.

I, too, am considering of getting either the Micro Cart or ClickGear. I'm sure owners of the Micro will say their's is great and as the owners of the ClickGear. I suggest is go to a store that has both and check them out. I recently purchased a new Nike Cart bag, so I grabbed one from the store and placed it on the ClickGear. The only thing I don't like about the ClickGear is that the part of the cord that holds the bag in place on the top portion, locks in the center. The Nike cart back has the putter well in the front center, with a opening behind it to pull the cart straps through it. Being that the ClicGear strap is a bungee cord type material, I was able to lock it without going through the hole in the putter well. I just pull the cord over the top part of the putter well. It didn't effect the insertion/removal from the well much. I'm hoping that over time, this doesn't wear out and break. The nice thing I like about the ClicGear is the optional golf shoe brush, that could be mounted on the cart.

Of course, the nice thing about the Micro is that there's no strap, which makes it easy to put the bag on the cart. For me, this would also be a negative, since I often like to push my cart down on hills and let it go. Bumps may loosen the bag from it's position. The part the holds the bag, does have some holes, so I could probably buy a short bungee cord to hook on the holes to help secure the bag in place.

I remember reading somewhere that someone didn't like the handle on the Micro and would have preferred the typical handle that most push/pull carts have.

I would also prefer the micro carts braking lever. The ClicGears braking lever requires a little more effort, though not much. Unfortunately, some ClicGears I've tried were alot more difficult to lock than others.

I am awaiting the arrival of my first push cart. I chose the Micro Cart over the Clicgear after seeing both of them in person and even placing my bag on each and trying them out.

Both are really nice but I liked the light weight, stability and ease of folding of the Micro. I also liked the smaller overall footprint with the bag sitting up directly over the wheels with no straps required.

The funny thing is I am a member of a course that allows walking with or without carts, which I think is unusual in the U.S. for most private clubs. I have always been against pull/push carts as I thought they looked kind of cheesy out there. Well recently, my hips and back have been fading on me by about the 14th hole and I really feel "beat up" the day after carrying 18 holes. (over 40 now so I guess it comes with the territory)

I figured since so many members already have them at our course, one more wouldn't hurt...the proverbial "if you can't beat 'em you might as well join 'em!" I'm hoping to still get the exercise and enjoyment of walking, but without the pain and fatigue.

I'll report back on my Micro Cart after I have used it for a few rounds.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I haven't tried those two, or any four wheel, but have the Sun Mtn Speed Cart V2 and just love it. Thought I'd toss in that the 'wings' on the cart hold my bag [ping hoofer] very securely. Never had it pop out, and I also like to give the cart a push at the top of a hill and let it cruise on down.

12* TM M2 

16* Ping G400 4w

Cobra 7w

TM 5h

Mizuno 919 HM 6-G

Mizuno T22 52/s, 56/d, 60/c

Tour Rossie II 34"

I recently decided to invest in a push cart and looked at both of these carts (and read MANY reviews of them both), as well as the SM Speed carts. I would suggest you see how your bag fits on each of the carts, as not all stand bags will sit well on the ClicGear in particular. I am 6'1'' and felt like the micro cart handle didn't adjust to my height as well as the ClicGear (only 2 positions for the microcart). I bought the Clic Gear (and a new cart bag (Sun Mountain S1)) and have been loving them both. Ultimately I suspect you will be happy with either one, as they are both quality products, and both have received excellent reviews from multiple sources. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy whichever one you get!

There are many threads on GolfWRX about these carts... you'll get instant satisfaction if you search for them.

[quote name='JIMFANTE' post='1860533' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:32 PM']I've got a micro cart and have no complaints. Light, folds up easily, sturdy. I'm sure the Click Gear is just as good but I was intimidated by having to watch a training video to learn how to fold it up.....maye that's just me[/quote]

Yup, it's just you... my 11 year old has one and has no problem folding/unfolding. It really is easy.

[quote name='finitesoup' post='1860738' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:26 AM']One thing to consider is if you have a stand bag the clic gear is not a good choice due to the single vertical tube.[/quote]

It might be your stand bag. Mine and my son's fit with no problem (his is smaller but the cart straps adjust to it perfectly).

But the best advice is to find one of each locally and try it out. Maybe you can find someone at the course that will spare a few minutes and let you try it out?

A tad off topic, I just got the bagboy express 240 on sale for 130. Its not as nice as the models you are looking at, but it is a solid cart for the value minded. I've only used it one round. My only deal with it is that my stand bag shifted a few times during the round, but the course I played is pretty hilly, and I am sure contributed to that.

Also, while its easy to fold, it is not as small as the others you are looking at. Its not much of an issue, but could have been. Went to the grocery store directly after the round, and between my bag and the cart in the trunk, we had to put our stuff on the back seat.

I stopped by Golf Galaxy today to look at their carts for the upteenth time, more specifically, the Micro Cart and ClicGear 2.0. The wheels looked about the same on both carts, so I guess if someone had difficulty pushing the CG 2.0 thru the rough, the MC would be the same. The carts are both made for cart bags, but out of curiousity, I grabbed a stand bag (Nike Sasquatch) and placed it on both carts. The stand bag would still not sit properly on both carts, but more on the CG 2.0. Since the MC does NOT have a strap, I would assume that the bag would bounce around more if you were to release it downhill. Of course, this could probably be remedied by buying a bungee cord to hook onto those braces to hold the bag. I also tried doing a tip over test. Even though both carts were empty (no bag), I tried just pushing the both carts over. The MC was allot easier to tilt over. The CG 2.0, with a wider wheel base was allot more difficult. The CG 2.0 was also a little heavier compared to the MC.

[quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1863115' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:23 AM']The carts are both made for cart bags, but out of curiousity, I grabbed a stand bag (Nike Sasquatch) and placed it on both carts. The stand bag would still not sit properly on both carts, but more on the CG 2.0. Since the MC does NOT have a strap, I would assume that the bag would bounce around more if you were to release it downhill. Of course, this could probably be remedied by buying a bungee cord to hook onto those braces to hold the bag.[/quote]

When you placed the stand bag on the MC was it an empty bag? The weight of your clubs in the bag makes a big difference. When I tried the Micro Cart I placed my loaded Ping Hoofer on it and it was quite stable with no need for any straps.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='dpb5031' post='1863156' date='Aug 4 2009, 06:56 AM'][quote name='Crazie.eddie' post='1863115' date='Aug 4 2009, 04:23 AM']The carts are both made for cart bags, but out of curiousity, I grabbed a stand bag (Nike Sasquatch) and placed it on both carts. The stand bag would still not sit properly on both carts, but more on the CG 2.0. Since the MC does NOT have a strap, I would assume that the bag would bounce around more if you were to release it downhill. Of course, this could probably be remedied by buying a bungee cord to hook onto those braces to hold the bag.[/quote]

When you placed the stand bag on the MC was it an empty bag? The weight of your clubs in the bag makes a big difference. When I tried the Micro Cart I placed my loaded Ping Hoofer on it and it was quite stable with no need for any straps.
[/quote]

The same with a "tip over test." The fully loaded bag makes a big difference in center of gravity and moment of inertia... something golfers should be very familiar with! :beruo: The weight of a 30-50 pound bag also tends to hold things steady so the bag can't slip around.

But it is true that certain bags may fit better than others. If you can try one out in the store for fit, that is best.

When my kid was young, and we were constantly in the market for strollers, this is the problem I had with Consumer Reports testing- they always tested with a 20 pound bag of sand in the stoller- but a kid has legs... which lowers the center of gravity considerably and would influence the test.

Realistic testing!

OK, I'll stop being a geek now.

I own both here is the difference. (both are excellent just minor differences)

SM great for cart bags where bungees might not work. But many bags tend to shift dirung use. The bigger the bag the better it rides.
Awesome glove box
better score card holder
lighter
better umbrella
best sm brake system but it can spin around back tire on hill.

CG fits stand bags and a variety of bags better. Bungees are secure
rolls better
gps mount doesn't block cup holder
more adjustable handle

• 1 month later...

I initially bought the Sun Mountain Micro Cart for it's simplicity, smaller footprint, and light weight.
Took it out for a few rounds and tried to like it, but it just didn't do it for me.

My primary complaints with the SM Micro Cart are that the bag kept twisting at the bottom and needed constant re-positioning. The "Strapless" system still had me cautiously moving the cart around up slopes/side-hills/grades. And finally, going thru rough, the wheels just did not feel big enough. Kinda felt like a sluggish shopping cart. It is also a SLOW roller, so often you are constantly needing the extra push-pressure to scoot it along to keep pace with a fast walker.

My local golf store has a great return/exchange policy, so I returned/exchanged it for the Clic Gear 2.0. The great things about the Clic Gear 2.0 are: Bigger wheels - also means FASTer roller.
Bag is secure via the bungee type straps for the top and bottom of the bag and no worries of the bag moving or falling off when going up slopes/side-hills/grades.
And finally, the three wheel design doesn't feel like a mini shopping cart, but rather a sleek SR-71 Black Bird Air Force machine :):)

Set-up and take-down is a lot easier than it is portrayed to be on the Clic Gear 2.0. I suspect the "dvd/video" that comes with the purchase is for the type of person that doesn't like to read instruction booklets, but would rather "watch" and "do". You can also find this set-up and take-down demonstration on You Tube. Very easy. The extra few pounds on the Clic Gear now do not bother me since you are "rolling" this primarily and the weight is only felt on entry/exit from your vehicle. For me, the overall advantages of the design of the Clic Gear 2.0 overshadow the simplicity and lightweight of the Micro Cart.

The Micro Cart certainly is lighter, smaller footprint, and has a more simple set-up and take-down, but the Clig Gear's stability, bigger wheels, and strap system prevail as winners with me.

As they say, to each their own. Each push cart (Sun Mountain Micro Cart and the Clic Gear 2.0) will have loyal fans of each. I was lucky enough to try both and end up with the one that I am happy with and feel is better to my likings.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this old thread for some opinions as this 44 yr old just decided a push cart is for me. :)

Also, this was asked almost a year ago, but is there going to be a ClicGear 3.0 anytime soon? Always hate to buy the latest TaylorMade and find out it's obsolete before it hits the course. The 2.0 has been out for quite a while now.

Thanks.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

[quote name='carrera' post='2090171' date='Nov 28 2009, 07:06 PM']Bumping this old thread for some opinions as this 44 yr old just decided a push cart is for me. :)

Also, this was asked almost a year ago, but is there going to be a ClicGear 3.0 anytime soon? Always hate to buy the latest TaylorMade and find out it's obsolete before it hits the course. The 2.0 has been out for quite a while now.

Thanks.[/quote]
I have been very happy with my Micro Cart. Several of my buddies have gotten them also. The only complaint I have heard is that the highest handle setting is still too low for very tall people (over 6'2") or so. The only other minor issue is that because of its placement on the right side of the handle I tend to unintentionally hit the brake quite often.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have a Sun Mtn Speed Cart V2 which i bought over the CG because it was cheaper, it came with a slow puncture and the auto fold tabs on the bottom brackets broke within weeks, my friend has the CG and has had no problems at all, so having said that mine has been fine since i fixed the puncture and the brackets are no biggy and the mesh bit is very handy for headcovers bannana skins etc, BUT the word is tech support and parts for Sun mountain is awful but CG is superb, that is what worries me....Steve