2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Westchester NY - Country Club Info

Tired of driving an hour or playing at muni
Hey All,

I need the help of everyone living in the Westchester, NY area (county north of the Bronx).
I am pretty tired of driving an hour up north to play a decent course. The whole Westchester County Golf thing (equi to muni's) has gotten on my last nerve. I can't and won't play another 6 hour round. A 6 hour round is very painful. The problem I am finding is that Westchester has some great country clubs...(Winged Foot, Westchester Country Club, etc.) But yea, you need to take out a mortgage to pay the initiation fee and yearly dues. I make good money but I don't want to spend a boat load every year on dues.

Does anyone know a decent country club in this area that is some what reasonable in price???

Thanks for the help guys.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually live in Eastchester so Lake Isle is my top choice. The course is ehhhh. I would def get tired of playing that course over and over.

Leewood from what I gathered up is actually expensive. Do you know what the actual fee's are? I need to look into it to verify that. Leewood is an awesome course though.

I will take a look into Club Max. Never heard of the offer.

Any other suggestions?

No suggestions, but boy, you took the words out of my mouth. I've been bemoaning this fact for years. The last time I played Mohansic, I walked off after 4 hours since the pace was at 6+hrs. I guess that's pretty much NYC metro golf. The same goes for rounds I played in SI and LI.

I found that the rounds at Union Vale are usually shorter, but it takes longer to get there so the time saved is a wash.

Hope someone comes up with more suggestions.

The problem with the Links now is that they are starting to get recognized. They jacked up there prices this year to 90+. 2 years back it was only like $75. It is an awesome course though. Too bad its such a hike to get up there. LI is nice, but beach traffic in the summer is a no no for Westchester residence. I would be stuck in too much traffic to make it worth while.
If anyone hasnt played West Point that is a great course too (very reasonable pricing too). Its a short tough course.

The problem with the county courses is they are just too slow. I end up getting pissed off and leaving after 9 because I sit 5 minutes in between each shot. For instance this past Saturday we played Dunwoodie (had to stay in the area bc of a bbq later in the day). Tee'd off at 9:05...
I figured 9:05 shouldn't be backed up...at the most a 5 hour round... Honestly how is a course backed up so bad at 9:05!!!
It took us 3 hours for the front nine and 2 1/2 for the back...There is no way a course should be backed up at 9:05 am....

Anyone dabble into NJ courses?

Hey,

I live in Bronxville. For the last 5 weeks I've been playing Hudson Hills up in Ossining area. Apparently it is only like 2-3 years old and not many people go up that far to play it. I've gotten tee times as a single off the website sith ease each week, and its not even really necessary. It's about 22 miles north of Bronxville off the Taconic. I've been starting between 7-9am every Saturday and each round has been 4 1/2 to 4 hours 40 minutes and that usually with cart path only. That may be a bit of a long round for you, but by Westchester sandards pretty darn good. By far the best Westchester County course in terms of layout, condition, and speed of play. Only $85 if your a county resident and from the tips it's plenty challenging I think. (I'm a 15.9 Index) .

Course Statistics
Holes: 18
Par: 71

Men
Tees Yardage Rating Slope
Black 6,935 73.7 139
Green 6,323 71.0 129
Blue 5,755 68.0 126
Gold 5,102 66.7 113

[url="http://www.hudsonhillsgolf.com/play/the-course/scorecard/"]http://www.hudsonhillsgolf.com/play/the-course/scorecard/[/url]

I won't even consider places like Dunwoodie and Saxon Woods again. I played each about twice 10 years ago and got so frustrated with speed of play and conditions, I said I'd rather drive 90 minutes to play a real course.

The other place to go is Centennial but that's been some of the slowest golf I've experienced in the Area. Bally Owen and associated courses out in NJ are good, but a hike. Takes up the whole day just driving.

Have you tried getting into Siwanoy ? I think it'sprobably still ridiculously expensive (used to be $75,000 just to wait 7 years!), but with the economy, I thought maybe it might have come down.

There are many clubs in Westchester offering great deals today. Leewood is a terrific, classic old golf course and I believe it is reaonable compared to the going rates at other clubs. I dont love Willow Ridge but I understand they are desperate for members and offering deals. Rye golf club is a nice place and very inexpensive to join.

I am sure if you start asking around you will hear of some very attractive deals.

Rye Golf Club in (shockingly) Rye is quite good. I used to belong there for about 5 years before I moved out of the county. It is a fun and challenging course that isn't too expensive. If you don't live in Rye its a bit more expensive than if you do, but that said I am pretty sure it is one of the cheaper private (or in this case semi-private) courses in the area. Every once in a while it can get a little slow, but even at its slowest it usually never takes more than maybe 4:30 hours. If you can, you should definitely check it out. Good luck.

• 8 months later...

I'm interested to get this topic going again.

I just moved to White Plains from NYC and I'd love to find a private club. I know some clubs have membership offerings for younger folk - I'm 27 and in no position to drop $50,000, but I am definitely willing to stretch a bit to enjoy great golf and 4 hour rounds.

I've been in touch with a few clubs including Rye, Minisceongo, Hollow Brook (dues are on their site), and Brynwood (formerly Canyon Club).

Brynwood has different levels of membership and some great promotions, although due to strong response, they now have a waiting list.

So, does anyone know of some other clubs that offer different levels of membership (one focused on young professionals)? Does anyone have any other suggestions for clubs that aren't terribly expensive?

[quote name='rct20' date='10 August 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1249920346' post='1876925']
Hey,

I live in Bronxville. For the last 5 weeks I've been playing Hudson Hills up in Ossining area. Apparently it is only like 2-3 years old and not many people go up that far to play it. I've gotten tee times as a single off the website sith ease each week, and its not even really necessary. It's about 22 miles north of Bronxville off the Taconic. I've been starting between 7-9am every Saturday and each round has been 4 1/2 to 4 hours 40 minutes and that usually with cart path only. That may be a bit of a long round for you, but by Westchester sandards pretty darn good. By far the best Westchester County course in terms of layout, condition, and speed of play. Only $85 if your a county resident and from the tips it's plenty challenging I think. (I'm a 15.9 Index) .

Course Statistics

Men
Black 6,935 73.7 139
Green 6,323 71.0 129
Blue 5,755 68.0 126
Gold 5,102 66.7 113

[url="http://www.hudsonhillsgolf.com/play/the-course/scorecard/"]http://www.hudsonhillsgolf.com/play/the-course/scorecard/[/url]

I won't even consider places like Dunwoodie and Saxon Woods again. I played each about twice 10 years ago and got so frustrated with speed of play and conditions, I said I'd rather drive 90 minutes to play a real course.

The other place to go is Centennial but that's been some of the slowest golf I've experienced in the Area. Bally Owen and associated courses out in NJ are good, but a hike. Takes up the whole day just driving.

Have you tried getting into Siwanoy ? I think it'sprobably still ridiculously expensive (used to be $75,000 just to wait 7 years!), but with the economy, I thought maybe it might have come down.
[/quote]

What are you talking about? Centennial is not slow at all. I play there at least 30 times a summer and have never even come CLOSE to a 5 hour round. Typically 4-415.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

You need to understand that every club in your area is going to be expensive. If it isn't, it just isn't going to be any good. In this economy, if you care about golf, you would be crazy to not take advantage of the deals that are being offered. Its a quality of life choice. I'm not telling you to go try and join Quaker (although I would support the decision), but a nice mid-level club is the way to go.

If you aren't ready to do that, your other options are to move (North/Central NJ has some more reasonable private clubs and better public options), take up a different hobby, or stop complaining and embrace 6-hour rounds on dog-track courses.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='Shwagin1066' date='14 April 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1271224059' post='2378857']
[quote name='rct20' date='10 August 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1249920346' post='1876925']
Hey,

Course Statistics

Men
Black 6,935 73.7 139
Green 6,323 71.0 129
Blue 5,755 68.0 126
Gold 5,102 66.7 113

[/quote]

What are you talking about? Centennial is not slow at all. I play there at least 30 times a summer and have never even come CLOSE to a 5 hour round. Typically 4-415.
[/quote]

I play Centennial 10 to 15 times a year and don't find it slow which is why i drive up from the Bronx.

[quote name='jimboski93' date='13 April 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1271210341' post='2378436']
I'm interested to get this topic going again.

I just moved to White Plains from NYC and I'd love to find a private club. I know some clubs have membership offerings for younger folk - I'm 27 and in no position to drop $50,000, but I am definitely willing to stretch a bit to enjoy great golf and 4 hour rounds.

I've been in touch with a few clubs including Rye, Minisceongo, Hollow Brook (dues are on their site), and Brynwood (formerly Canyon Club).

Brynwood has different levels of membership and some great promotions, although due to strong response, they now have a waiting list.

So, does anyone know of some other clubs that offer different levels of membership (one focused on young professionals)? Does anyone have any other suggestions for clubs that aren't terribly expensive?
[/quote]

Jim - let me know what you find out. I just moved to White Plains this winter as well but haven't looked into memberships. I was planning a couple trips elsewhere this summer. I would be interested to know if there are affordable assoc memberships - I'm only 25.

Matt

Check out Pound Ridge Golf Club... it's public, but the green fee is at private course level ($235) a round. As a result, not a lot of people play there... definitely around 4 to 4 1/2 hours (or less). The private clubs will cost around $10K a year+ tax + food minimum + locker, etc. If you play less 50 rounds a year, paying $235 a round will be less than joining a club and you don't have to pay the initiation fee... It is a fun course, Peter Dye design.

[quote name='nnycnl' date='18 April 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1271645673' post='2387222']
Check out Pound Ridge Golf Club... it's public, but the green fee is at private course level ($235) a round. As a result, not a lot of people play there... definitely around 4 to 4 1/2 hours (or less). The private clubs will cost around $10K a year+ tax + food minimum + locker, etc. If you play less 50 rounds a year, paying $235 a round will be less than joining a club and you don't have to pay the initiation fee... It is a fun course, Peter Dye design.
[/quote]

Incredible course. They have membership deals also. I am a caddy there, if you come play please request me, name is Byron Vereschagin.

Thanks for the responses.

I've been in touch with a number of clubs and am working towards making a decision. I am going to visit Elmwood in a week or so. Anyone ever play there? Thoughts?

I'm actually heading to Pound Ridge this Saturday - I'm being taken by a business relationship, so I'm not sure what the plans are. If we are enlisting caddies, I'll ask for you Byron.

For anyone else who wants info on the clubs I've spoken to, please shoot me a message... preferably with your e-mail. I doubt these clubs want me posting their info. You can of course just call or e-mail them as well.

Westchester Hills - they're hosting an open house / tour this Sunday which I was thinking of attending. Looking for any comments / thoughts anyone has on that course. I'll probably post my own thoughts here after the tour if that's helpful to people.

[quote name='jimboski93' date='22 April 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1271966741' post='2394916']
Thanks for the responses.

I've been in touch with a number of clubs and am working towards making a decision. I am going to visit Elmwood in a week or so. Anyone ever play there? Thoughts?

I'm actually heading to Pound Ridge this Saturday - I'm being taken by a business relationship, so I'm not sure what the plans are. If we are enlisting caddies, I'll ask for you Byron.
[/quote]

Ah bummer, won't be around this saturday. Enjoy it, it really is a gem.

• 4 weeks later...

I joined Westchester Hills and I am looking for one more golfer for a round on Sunday afternoon (5/23).

The group is currently me, my brother, and another person I met through this site.
They have a deal where the guest greens fee is $80, but you only pay that for the first guest. So the more guests you bring, the cheaper it is for them. The round would then cost $80/3 for each of the guests.

The tee time will be after 3pm - at that point, you can walk the course / carry your own bag instead of being required to take a caddy.

If you are interested, send me a PM with an e-mail address and/or a phone number. If you'd like to play some other time, shoot me a message and the next time I can't fill a foursome, I'll let you know.

Me: 26 years old, 26 HCP, live in downtown White Plains.