2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you REALLY Think YOU KNOW The Rules of Golf? I dare you to take the quiz

From the looks of some of the other threads around here..... I has been said that the majority of golfers on this site are considered to be above average golfers and a bit more knowledgeable then the weekend warrior....

I myself consider myself to be a avid golfer...... I also consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable on THE RULES OF GOLF......

well...that is until another of my friends dared me to go to the USGA WEBSITE and take the rules quiz...... guess what.....I think I know the rules better then most.....and with that said.....I dont know them very well according to my quiz scores....

on the USGA WEBSITE ...... if you go there.... www.usga.org once you have gotten there.... on the top left, there is a icon that says rules....hold your mouse over that, a drop down will appear..... there you have the option of rules quiz....go ahead and take the quiz.... they offer it with basic or advanced or mixed.....

you might be surprised at just how much you don't know.....

they have 10-18-25 question quiz's you can take....

good luck and let us know how you score

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the 10 question random-mix and scored 8 out of 10. missed these two

In stroke play, a player's ball lies in a flowerbed and he is uncertain if he is entitled to relief. He announces that he will play a second ball under the Rules. He plays the original ball as it lies and the second ball, taking relief under the ground under repair Rule. However, he fails to declare in advance with which ball he wishes to score. The Committee confirms that play from the flowerbed is prohibited by a Local Rule that declares it to be ground under repair, from which relief without penalty is mandatory. What is the ruling?
Incorrect
You answered Since he did not declare in advance which ball he would score with, the score with the original ball counts with a two stroke penalty.
Correct answer Since the first ball was not played according to the Rules, the score with the second ball counts without penalty.
Explanation Rule 3-3b

A player putts and a spectator accidentally deflects his moving ball into the hole. What is the ruling?
Incorrect
You answered The ball is holed.
Correct answer The stroke must be canceled and replayed.
Explanation Rule 19-1

[quote name='madjsp' post='2054879' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:25 PM']I took the 10 question random-mix and scored 8 out of 10. missed these two

In stroke play, a player's ball lies in a flowerbed and he is uncertain if he is entitled to relief. He announces that he will play a second ball under the Rules. He plays the original ball as it lies and the second ball, taking relief under the ground under repair Rule. However, he fails to declare in advance with which ball he wishes to score. The Committee confirms that play from the flowerbed is prohibited by a Local Rule that declares it to be ground under repair, from which relief without penalty is mandatory. What is the ruling?
Incorrect
You answered Since he did not declare in advance which ball he would score with, the score with the original ball counts with a two stroke penalty.
Correct answer Since the first ball was not played according to the Rules, the score with the second ball counts without penalty.
Explanation Rule 3-3b

A player putts and a spectator accidentally deflects his moving ball into the hole. What is the ruling?
Incorrect
You answered The ball is holed.
Correct answer The stroke must be canceled and replayed.
Explanation Rule 19-1[/quote]

I can see the first question actually happening possibly often ......

but the second question, how often is a spectator going to deflect a putt??? either way.....good to see the scenario's and correct answers....

I took the one with 10 and got them all correct. I got lucky and guessed on one of them. I'm not going to attempt the others for the sake of keeping my perfect score in tact. :cheesy: In all seriousness, I wouldn't do as well on the advanced one.

EDIT: I just took it on basic when I took it.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

for the sake of the thread, I just took the mixed 10 question quiz.....

got 8 correct..... and still find almost all the questions confusing....

Out of 10 total questions, you answered 8 correctly.

1. In stroke play, a group of players arrive at a teeing ground and find one tee-marker missing. They determine the area of the teeing ground based on the existing tee-marker and the shape of the tee and play from the place they judge to be the teeing ground. What is the ruling?
Correct
You answered If the Committee is satisfied that the players did not gain an advantage from where they played, their scores should be accepted without penalty.
Correct answer If the Committee is satisfied that the players did not gain an advantage from where they played, their scores should be accepted without penalty.
Explanation Decision 11-4b/2

2. A competitor plays out of turn from the teeing ground, abandons the ball, then plays in proper order; the original ball is lost under penalty of stroke and distance.
Correct
You answered True
Correct answer True
Explanation Decision 10-2c/1

3. A competitor played from the tee, lifted his ball which he erroneously thought was out of bounds, and played the ball again from the tee; he now lies three.
Correct
You answered True
Correct answer True
Explanation Decision 18-2a/11

4. A player attempts a difficult shot and the ball strikes a rock that deflects the ball directly up into the air. He makes a swing at the ball in disgust. What is the ruling?
Correct
You answered He has not made a stroke at the ball in the air.
Correct answer He has not made a stroke at the ball in the air.
Explanation Decision 14/6

5. If a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the player must replay the stroke with a penalty of one stroke.
Correct
You answered False
Correct answer False
Explanation Rule 5-3

6. In four-ball stroke play, balls belonging to the same side may be played in the order the side considers best.
Correct
You answered True
Correct answer True
Explanation Rule 31-4

7. Which Local Rule is the Committee authorized to make?
Incorrect
You answered A ball lost in any woods adjacent to all fairways throughout the course may be played as lost in a lateral water hazard in order to save time.
Correct answer A particular putting green may be defined to include the apron surrounding the green for the purpose of taking relief under the wrong putting green Rule.
Explanation Decision 33-8/33

8. Which is correct regarding the use of a caddie?
Correct
You answered The Committee may impose restrictions in the conditions of the competition as to whom a player may employ as his caddie.
Correct answer The Committee may impose restrictions in the conditions of the competition as to whom a player may employ as his caddie.
Explanation Note to Rule 6-4

9. In stroke play, it is not known or virtually certain that a player's tee shot is lost in a water hazard. He plays another ball from the tee under the water hazard Rule and then he finds his original ball outside the hazard. What is the ruling?
Correct
You answered The original ball is lost under penalty of stroke and distance.
Correct answer The original ball is lost under penalty of stroke and distance.
Explanation Decision 26/6

10. In four-ball match play, a player's ball is farthest from the hole, while his partner's ball is closest to the hole. The partner decides to putt first, but he will be standing on the line of putt of one of the opponents. The opponents object to this procedure, because they say it will adversely affect their play. What is the ruling?
Incorrect
You answered If the partner whose ball is closest to the hole putts first and in doing so stands on the line of putt of one of the opponents, he will be disqualified from the hole.
Correct answer In this situation, the side may play in any order they choose, without penalty.
Explanation Decision 30-3b/1

[quote name='TM golf guy 182' post='2054903' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:38 PM']I took the one with 10 and got them all correct. I got lucky and guessed on one of them. I'm not going to attempt the others for the sake of keeping my perfect score in tact. :cheesy: In all seriousness, I wouldn't do as well on the advanced one.

EDIT: I just took it on basic when I took it.[/quote]

basic or not....thats great..... I think these quiz's will humble even the most knowledgeable golfers.....

here is a 10 question mixed quiz......

go ahead and take this quiz and see how you score.....

Interactive Quiz

1. In stroke play, two players strike their balls into the same area of high grass. Two balls are found, but because there are no identifying marks on either ball, neither of the players can identify a ball as his. What is the ruling?

There is no penalty and they must choose a ball based on lot.

Each player incurs a stroke and distance penalty because both balls are lost.

Each player incurs a two stroke penalty and must choose a ball based on lot.

2. The flagstick is a movable straight indicator centered in the hole to show its position; it may or may not have bunting attached.

True

False

3. The penalty for failing to sign a score card in match play is disqualification.

True

False

4. Through the green, a ball lifted to determine if it is unfit for play may be cleaned.

True

False

5. In singles match play, a caddie is carrying both bags. Prior to his stroke, a player asks the caddie what club his opponent used from about the same position. What is the ruling?

There is no penalty.

There is a one stroke penalty.

There is a loss of hole penalty.

6. In match play, a player removes a loose impediment in a hazard next to his opponent's ball in a gesture of good sportsmanship. His opponent reminds him of the Rule but says that he is overlooking the breach. What is the ruling?

There is no penalty.

The player incurs a loss of hole penalty.

Both players are disqualified.

7. In stroke play, a player deems his ball unplayable and lifts it. Then, he discovers that the ball was in ground under repair. What is the ruling?

If he drops a ball under the unplayable ball Rule, he may lift the ball and proceed under the ground under repair Rule without incurring any penalty strokes.

If he drops a ball under the unplayable ball Rule back into the ground under repair, he may then lift the ball and proceed under the ground under repair Rule incurring a total of two penalty strokes.

If he does not drop a ball under the unplayable ball Rule, he may proceed under the ground under repair Rule without penalty.

8. Which is correct regarding placing or replacing a player's ball?

There is no penalty if his ball moves as a direct result of removing the ball-marker after replacing the ball.

There is a penalty if a player's partner replaces a player's ball that had been lifted by an outside agency.

There is a penalty if he replaces his ball and positions the trademark so that it aligns with his line of play towards the hole.

9. A player played a wrong ball from the trees and this fact was not discovered until after his opponent has conceded the hole; the concession stands.

True

False

10. A player may purposely touch his ball in play with his club in the act of addressing it without penalty.

True

False

The reason I carry the USGA rule book is because if there's one thing I know for sure, it's I don't know most of the rules.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' post='2054958' date='Nov 9 2009, 07:06 PM']The reason I carry the USGA rule book is because if there's one thing I know for sure, it's I don't know most of the rules.[/quote]

I have one in my bag and I also have a rules download on my Iphone.... but the problem with this.... its very hard for the group to read and understand the rules while actually on the course during combat..... so I never bring it out during the round or event in question..... but while in clubhouse over cocktails, we try to figure out the TRUE outcome..... and I have found that most often, regardless of what the rules say..... the group almost always ends up divided over how the rules read.....

oh and I've seen it a zillon times..... somebody goes and asks the pro in the proshop to rule ...... and talk about really starting something.....ive seen some people make a mess of themselves arguing with pro's over the rules

I took the 25 question advanced and got 19, although some guessing was definitely involved. Some of the rules are so crazy, I don't know how they came up with some of these things.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

[quote name='TLUBulldogGolf' post='2055162' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:44 PM']I took the 25 question advanced and got 19, although some guessing was definitely involved. Some of the rules are so crazy, I don't know how they came up with some of these things.[/quote]

19 out of 25 is solid on the advanced......

and I think anybody that goes and takes this quiz will have to admit.....rules and rules understanding and interpretation are hard even for the most seasoned veterans.....probably why the pro's never do anything without having a official come over and explain all options to them

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2055218' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:14 PM'][quote name='TLUBulldogGolf' post='2055162' date='Nov 9 2009, 08:44 PM']I took the 25 question advanced and got 19, although some guessing was definitely involved. Some of the rules are so crazy, I don't know how they came up with some of these things.[/quote]

19 out of 25 is solid on the advanced......

and I think anybody that goes and takes this quiz will have to admit.....rules and rules understanding and interpretation are hard even for the most seasoned veterans.....probably why the pro's never do anything without having a official come over and explain all options to them
[/quote]

I scored 19 and 20 taking the 25-item quiz twice. A couple of questions were on both. A few of them I knew from reading this forum, so keep up the rules Q-A here.

A couple of questions could be interpreted a couple of different ways, a reminder that if in doubt in a tournament, it's good to ask.

[quote name='OzzDOA' post='2056347' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:03 PM']One question that really threw me was about whether a dead bird in a bunker can or cannot be removed as a loose impediment. [b]Where do they come up with this stuff[/b]?[/quote]

From last week's thread about killing geese.