2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Carry/Stand Golf Bag for Walkers

What golf bag is best for carrying your clubs?
I walk and carry my golf clubs when I play golf. Even though I'm 55, I don't feel old (70 is old :tease: ) and I enjoy it. I would like your opinions on the best golf bag for carrying your clubs. I currently have a Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5 because, at the time I bought it, it was the best combination of the following factors:

• Lightweight
  • Inexpensive (on sale for $80)
  • Integrated stand system
  • Rain hood
  • 9" or more opening

I wouldn't purchase a bag that weighed more than four pounds or did not have an integrated stand system. The Superlight 3.5 is a great bag but would be better if it were lighter. Although I thought that it weighed 3.5 pounds, I recently saw the weight listed as 4 pounds on a website. Also, the legs don't want to open as well as they did when I first got it. (I also don't like the fact that the dirt from my hand gets transferred onto the strap and from there onto the should of my nice white golf shirt).

I recently saw a Hotz ZLite bag advertised as 3.3 pounds, 17% less weight that the Superlight. Another competitor is the Ogio Vaporlite with an advertised weight of 3.8 pounds.

What is the best golf bag for golfers who walk and carry their clubs? Please explain your reasoning and the factors which guide it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Ogio Grom which is great for all the little touches it has (score card holder, drinks pocket, club organiser, ball dispenser etc, but at 6.5 lbs it is getting too heavy for me - I always carry.

I'm buying either a Nike SQ Tour (5.5 lbs) or a Sun Mountain Four 5 (4.5 lbs) in the new year as either will be lighter than my Grom. I think you might struggle to get a sturdy carry bag under 4 lbs. I'm leaning towards the four 5 on the basis of weight, but light the look and pockets of the Nike.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

Im using an Ogio right now which is very good (Sorry,not sure what model as ive had it a while).

Before that i had a Vapourlite which was superb....very light and functional.Probably the best carry bag ive had so far.Funny thing is ive been looking at Sun Mountain bags lately,having not owned one before.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Well my recommendation would have been the Sun Mountain SL 3.5 but you already have that one. It's what I use and when I was looking at bags, it was the lightest one I could find, and I searched high and low in the shops around here, not going on advertised weight but how heavy the bag actually felt to me. Also I think there is more to a carry bag than just static weight, how the bag hangs and carries can make it feel much lighter or heavier.

As far as your issues with your current bag go, I don't think there are any around that will make your dirty hand clean again before you pick it up, that is probably going to be an issue with all bags, and as far as the stand mechanism, how old is the bag? Is something broken, contact Sun Mountain, they may be able to fix or replace parts of it if it is not working properly, might be worth a shot before just buying a new bag.

-Bryce

I think you already have one of the best options for carrying. I have a Sun Mountain Swift X (3 lbs.) and my wife has the ladies' Swift (< 3 lbs.). Both are light and sturdy, but your 3.5 is probably a better option. I wanted the lightest stand bag Sun Mountain made, but the trade off is a smaller undivided opening (except for a small section for woods) and if a person has a full complement of irons like I do, it gets a little cramped and pulling clubs out, and pushing them in the bag can be a pain if the bag isn't upright. And both bags work surprisingly well when we have to cart it.

So I say Sun Mountain 3.5. :wave:

Titleist Ultralight. I think there is a Sun Mountain equivalent too. Only two openings instead of 6 on the 3.5 bag. But it holds everything you need in the summertime, including a water bottle.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Titleist TSR3 10* driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Hogan Apex 4 shafts soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I have a Titleist (Sun Mountain) X86 I believe. I can't think of a better carry bag, it's just fantastic for that.

--- however ----

I will be buying an Ogio Ozone to replace it because the Titleist bag will not properly fit in a riding cart due to the leg activator on the bottom of the bag. The bag must be loaded sideways, I can't access my bag pockets and the bag twists every which way during the round. It's beyond ridiculous.

I realize this topic is for "walkers", so why mention the problem with the cart? Because let's face it, most of us have friends who invite us to play with them. I love to walk, they do not. I still enjoy playing with them, thus I ride with them because it's the best way to keep the group together and socialize. So I have two options: a) switch all my gear into another bag when I'm riding (sorry, ain't gonna happen) or b) load my carry bag on the cart. I'm tired of loading that Titleist bag like it was jerry-rigged to the Beverly Hillbillies' truck. It should be a simple fix for Sun Mountain, they are aware of the problem and why they don't do it boggles my mind.

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

[quote name='dpark' post='2151016' date='Dec 30 2009, 03:14 PM']Titleist Ultralight. I think there is a Sun Mountain equivalent too. Only two openings instead of 6 on the 3.5 bag. But it holds everything you need in the summertime, including a water bottle.[/quote]

+ 1

I have the titleist ultralight and I am very pleased with it. It is manufactured for Titleist by Sunmountain. I pretty much always walk (with 12 or 13 clubs).

Here is the link: [url="http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry_bags/ultralightweight.asp"]http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry_...lightweight.asp[/url]

The titleist web site says[b] the bag weighs 3.7 pounds[/b], which means the Ogio vapourlite is actually much larger yet not really any heavier.

Based on my experience, the only way to go even lighter is to ditch the stand; you are then looking at the [b]Ping Moonlite bag at 2 pounds[/b]. It has a single strap but a neat gadget that props the strap up so you do not have to bend down to pick it up. A real saviour for the kneees and back.

Sun Mountain also make a 2 pound carry bag with no stand (also sold by titleist) that has a dual strap.

Has anyone ever tried one of these bags from Confidence Golf? Lots of bag for the money. They don't sell for more than $60 w/free shipping!!! For something that just sits on a pull cart, to me, looks like a great deal. Can anyone with experience shed some light? I could not find a weight listed for it but I am still looking.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Confidence-Golf-Divider-Cart-Bag-w-ZIP-OFF-PANEL-BLUE_W0QQitemZ380192770960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885414b90"]Confidence Cart bag on Ebay.[/url]

I have seem them in black and black with orange. I am thinking about trying out the black and orange to ride on my orange Clicgear V.2.

Am I crazy. Think its pure junk? Seller has 99.4% rating out of nearly 67000 trans. Its 1/3 the price of some of the Ogio's and Sun Mountains with similar features. The only thing I have yet to confirm whether the 14 dividers are 4 way and full length. Most cheap bags only have partial dividers.

Guess I need to start my own thread for a good walk cart bag that is ORANGE/BLACK!

[quote name='UNC Nick' post='2150367' date='Dec 30 2009, 07:38 AM']Your price limit may be tough unless it's a previous year's model that you can find on sale. I just got a Sun Mountain Four 5 to use when I carry (and possibly for travel). Bought my dad an Ogio Edge that was surprisingly light, too.[/quote]

I almost always buy the previous year's model; not just golf bags either.

used a vaporlite for 2 years and like it..very light and comfortable..just wished stand and colors were better

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I just picked up an '09 model Titleist Ultralight for $80 and used it on a recent trip to Phoenix. Walked three of four rounds and thought the bag was great.

Previously had the Ping K56 and the Titleist is certainly an upgrade for me.

It has only two areas for clubs, but it is easy enough to get sticks in and out without issue. It also wasn't awful on a cart.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Ping Mit-E-Lite last year and really like it for rounds when I walk. I've never loaded it up with much stuff (other than my clubs and a half dozen balls) since I don't use it all that often so I have no idea how it would work for a regular walker.

I also picked up a Ping Mantis which is even lighter but I prefer the dual straps of my Mit-E-Lite.

The first misnomer is that Sun Mountain weighs and labels their bags without straps and rainhood. This is why when you put a 3.5 on the scale it is closer to 4.

I did not like the Sun Mountain, because on the rare occasion that I rode, the bag has to be put on sideways. The mesh top also starts to peel off. Sold my sun mountain after 4 rounds

Used a Swift X last year...really liked it, felt like a quiver on your back. Always carried 14 clubs and that would make for some wrestling clubs in and out of the bag. Not a big problem...just a hassle. Bag stunk when you put it on a cart...again, tough putting in and pulling out clubs.

Bought a Ping 4 Under for this year (3.2 lbs.) So far it is hanging in there very nicely (15 rounds in December, 4 this year). Not perfect for clubs in and out, but better than the Swift X. Lightweight, enough pockets, easy on and off. Saw my shadow the other day, and there was the start of some leg hang...will keep my eye on that.

Ping G400 MAX 10.5* w Xtorsion Copper
Ping i210 4-u, Glide 2.0 54, 58
Guerin GR3 Mallet

[quote name='Golfcat' date='14 January 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1263475147' post='2180716']
The first misnomer is that Sun Mountain weighs and labels their bags without straps and rainhood. This is why when you put a 3.5 on the scale it is closer to 4.

[/quote]

Interesting - do the other manufacturers do the same? I'm torn between the Nike SQ Tour stand (5.5 lbs) and the Sun Mountain 4 5 (4.5 lbs). I was leaning towards the 4 5 on the basis of weight but if it is closer to 5 lbs I might go with the SQ Tour as long as Nike dont also weigh / lable bags without the straps and rain hood.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

[quote name='contranonvalentum' date='30 December 2009 - 05:36 AM' timestamp='1262169397' post='2150282']
I walk and carry my golf clubs when I play golf. Even though I'm 55, I don't feel old (70 is old :tease: ) and I enjoy it. I would like your opinions on the best golf bag for carrying your clubs. I currently have a Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5 because, at the time I bought it, it was the best combination of the following factors:

[list]
[*]Lightweight
[*]Inexpensive (on sale for $80)
[*]Integrated stand system
[*]Rain hood
[*]9" or more opening
[/list]I wouldn't purchase a bag that weighed more than four pounds or did not have an integrated stand system. The Superlight 3.5 is a great bag but would be better if it were lighter. Although I thought that it weighed 3.5 pounds, I recently saw the weight listed as 4 pounds on a website. Also, the legs don't want to open as well as they did when I first got it. (I also don't like the fact that the dirt from my hand gets transferred onto the strap and from there onto the should of my nice white golf shirt).

I recently saw a Hotz ZLite bag advertised as 3.3 pounds, 17% less weight that the Superlight. Another competitor is the Ogio Vaporlite with an advertised weight of 3.8 pounds.

What is the best golf bag for golfers who walk and carry their clubs? Please explain your reasoning and the factors which guide it.
[/quote]
hello there,
Nice to see that there are fellow walkers out there that have a pretty strict guideline lines...I was starting to feel lonely.
Anyway, I myself have been looking hi an low for a lighter/better comfortable carry bag

For me the biggest problems with light bags is the leg mechanisms and the straps.

I used to have an ogio vapourlite and I sold that because of the leg system was too small and unstable with the bag full.
I also had really hard times pulling clubs from the bag.

Then I moved on to [b]Titleist[/b], the best bag I have ever owned, still have the beast, forget the model name.
Excellent straps (velour), great leg system, full length dividers...but a pig in regards to weight! I think the thing weight 6-8 pound with the straps.I used it more as a cart bag then a carry bag...but still going strong can't fault it.

Then I bought a [b]MIzuno Aerolite bag[/b]. Very light bag. excellent fabrics, however the velour will wear on the divider area with the most use (ie; putter well). The organization of the bag took a while to get used to but it worked. The leg system left something to be desired...not very stable on any hill or uneven surfaces.
However of all the bags that I have tried this bag is the lightest.

Then I moved on to [b]Taylor made Corsa's[/b] I actually traded this one in for the [b]Adidas model[/b] same bag different graphics. The quality and fabric are top grade. The straps are comfortable velour type material but lighter.This is not the Izzo system, it's the same strap system that Titleist/Sun Mountain uses on their light bags currently.
the legs are very stable for such a light bag, the bag is also very solid feeling and the dividers are full length. The material is not velour but it's not the cheap nylon that I am always afraid will scratch my graphite shafts.
I would place this bag in the 4 pound range, with the straps but it doesn't feel it.
The Adidas bags also have some nice graphics and colours if that's important to you.

I have tried the [b]Nike extreme bag[/b], best friend has one... very light, straps are great,stable legs for such a light weight but the dividers are lacking and the opening is small so trouble with the pulling of clubs.
The new Extreme light bags are not the same. The straps are not as good as the original Izzo strap system on the first generation bags. Also the internal fabric on the Extremes is cheap and will not wear well, my friend has lost his full length dividers...more on this later.

I have looked at the [b]Sun Mountain 3 FIVE and the 4 FIVE bag[/b]. I like the colours and the leg system but the strapping on those bags feel cheap and fabric scratches my skin when you are carrying. The odd thing is that the [b]Titleist 4 FIVE bag [/b](which are made by sun mountain) has better colour/fabric schemes and the straps have the better velour albeit heavier material.
Either way Sun Mountain bags are good BUT it's hard to justify $200 retail for those type of fabrics, the Titleist bag versions are actually cheaper at $150 (canadian prices) go figure.

I have been also looking at the [b]Ping Latitude bags[/b]. They are light and the leg system is top notch.
The dividers are nylon but the good quality nylon that will not scratch your graphite shafts.
A couple of problems with the pings;
The strap system, I still can't figure out their strap hiding system. It places the bag really high on your back which screws up the balance of the bag (my opinion).
The fabric of the straps is really rough and uncomfortable.
The colours of the 2009's are gaudy...reminds me of the neon 90's.
Overall the [b]Ping latitude bags [/b]perform though, if you can overlook the colour schemes. I would place the ping bags around the 4 to 4.5 pounds.
Foot note: Ping is coming out with a new bag for 2010 that will weight 3.8 lbs. I have seen them but don't know much about them, but you can bet you will pay premium dollar.

I have also tried Callaway's Warbird bag. Although slight heavier I would probably rate that bag at 4.5lbs with the straps. The fabrics are middle of the road. But the selling feature of these bags is the leg system and the price point. Similar to the Ping system but on the outside of the bag, makes these bags rock solid, but you pay for that stability in weight.

Finally, I would say that it's hard to beat your Sun Mountain 3 FIVE. I would probably suggest that you try out the Adidas bags. The quality is just as good as the Sun Mountains' ( I don't know who makes these bags for Adidas...however it wouldn't surprise me if it was Sun Mountain). The leg system is just below Ping for stability, and the straps and dividers are better then Sun Mountain. The other advantage is that these bags are cheaper then Sun Mountain.

There you have it my two cents...

I'd recommend trying or at least looking at the Sun Mountain Zero G bag. That hip belt on the bag really does relieve the stress on the shoulders. Once you get used to it, it really isn't that much more work to use it. I like the straps better on this than the Three 5 as they are wider and fit my shoulders better than the EZ fit straps. They aren't connected in the center. The belt strap is also removable if you don't like it for times like the range or short walks. Only problem, it's a bit more expensive than you were looking for but I hesitated on the price too. Once I got it, I got rid of my other bags as I like this one that much.

Don't rule it out, it's essentially the Three 5 bag with a hip belt added. I like it alot and notice a huge difference in the fatigue factor after walking 18. I've been able to carry on for 27 holes a few times since getting it. Give it a look if you have a chance.

Here are a couple links to the bag and info. [url="http://criticalgolf.com/golf-carry-bag-reviews/sun-mountain-zero-g-bag-review/"]http://criticalgolf.com/golf-carry-bag-reviews/sun-mountain-zero-g-bag-review/[/url] or try:

[url="http://www.ontgolf.ca/equipment/2008/09/27/bag-of-tricks-sun-mountains-zero-g-stand-bag/"]http://www.ontgolf.ca/equipment/2008/09/27/bag-of-tricks-sun-mountains-zero-g-stand-bag/[/url]

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

As others have said, you already have one of the better models out there. You could go with the titleist ultra lightweight/sun mountain swift x from last year if one divider and a smaller top is OK.

Realistically though you are going to have to make some kind of tradeoff. The more 'stuff' you add - pockets, dividers, size, stand mechanism, durability the more weight and/or price.