2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

AJGA and other National Tournaments

IJGTs are good competition, and same with FCWT, but does not really compare to AJGA.
They are really good to play if you shoot in the 75-82 range consitantly.
AJGAs are only good if you can shoot below 75 consitantly. Otherwise you will not qualify and probably finish near last.
Most of the guys are around scratch with some of them a little worse and some better.
Range is 3 to +4.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right. The one thing I'm reall confident is my short game. I can hit my other clubs just not as far. I am working on my game til my high school golf season. so til march and summmer tournaments are like 5 months away. I'm also lifting and working on my core, I'm not as physically fit as I need to be.

[quote name='UNCC Golf#1' post='2159295' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:47 PM']I don't think that I will do the FWCT this year because it's almost over, but I'm still now sure between IJGT and AJGA, the IJGT will give me a better chance to win, but's it's up to 200 dollars more a tournament?

Anybody have any preferences?[/quote]

How much money do you honestly have to blow? If you have 400 bucks to spend on tournaments every week or other week, then you should be beating balls right now so your money isn't wasted.

[quote name='UNCC Golf#1' post='2159309' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:52 PM']I also play in the Philadelphia Junior Tour so I will play in 4 or 5 IJGT tournaments. If I sign up for the IJGT in like a month or so would it still be too late to sign up[/quote]

So your going to put in 2000 bucks in tournaments next year, plus travel and expenses for staying there and all that? Are you even being talked to by colleges? If not, your wasting a good deal of money.

That's a good point. I'm trying though for my junior year and junior summer to get out there to try to prove myself. That's why I was conserned with the IJGT. The summer tour I play on now is only 40 dollars I tournament so I can play in lots of those. I just wanted to get out there nationally.

[b]pinhigh27 do you think that the AJGA would be better or just no national tournaments at all[/b]

there are the ajga open events that with a good resume, they'll give you a spot.
I am all for playing in as many tournaments as you can, regardless if you're on a ncaa coach's radar or not. A coach won't notice you if you are hitting balls at the range at home but he will notice you if you have a good week in a tourney.
I would play the fcwt over the ijgt if you had an option - regardless if the season is almost over.

AJGA>FCWT>IJGT>local/highschool

by all means go out and get as much exposure as you can. play in ajga qualifiers if you must and work your way to the top.
I was in the same boat as you. I was a short hitter and went through qualifiers and all that my freshman and soph years.. Now I'm a senior and ranked top 50 in the country.
FCWT's are definitely a better way to gain exposure than IJGT events.
You don't want to spend that much money on a lower quality field.
From FCWT's, you can gain exemptions and stars for top 5 finishes, and then the National Championship at PGA National offers a bunch as well.
Just my thoughts.

Go to: [url="http://www.dsga.org/tournaments/index.php#Junior"]http://www.dsga.org/tournaments/index.php#Junior[/url] Tournaments

Check out Jr Events. They should be inexpensive and easy to get into. Good chance the state championship is rated on NJGS--contact DSGA and find out.

Play the U.S.G.A. Jr Qualifier--shouldn't be too expensive.

Only play the Philly Golf tournaments for practice--they will not really get you noticed..but they provide competition..which helps get you ready for bigger tournaments.

[quote name='obsessedgolfer' date='10 January 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1263162969' post='2173243']
Do you need to have a AJGA membership to play in the qualifiers?
[/quote]

No. You don't need the membership to play in the qualifier or the actual tournaments. I would highly suggest it if you plan on playing in college though because a lot of the tools they give you are really helpful. Also if you join you can register for tournaments online which makes it easier. All the membership gives you is a bag tag, ajga id, USGA membership, ping college guide, various other accessories, and access to the AJGA coaches corner.

[quote name='glfmn22' date='10 January 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1263168282' post='2173406']
[quote name='obsessedgolfer' date='10 January 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1263162969' post='2173243']
Do you need to have a AJGA membership to play in the qualifiers?
[/quote]

No. You don't need the membership to play in the qualifier or the actual tournaments. I would highly suggest it if you plan on playing in college though because a lot of the tools they give you are really helpful. Also if you join you can register for tournaments online which makes it easier. All the membership gives you is a bag tag, ajga id, USGA membership, ping college guide, various other accessories, and access to the AJGA coaches corner.
[/quote]

I have played in a bunch of AJGA events and you have gotten some good info and some bad info. AJGA "Open" events are not truely OPEN. You cannot get in on a resume. It is all about performance based entry. Check out the PBE section of the AJGA website. There will be some local or regional events that award you exemptions I am sure. What you need to understand is what is an "exemption"...it doesn't mean you can pick a tournament and play. the more popular ones may require 6 or 7 exemptions to be a high enough priority to get in. There may be others where you can get in with one. I suppose it could be possible to get in with just performance stars if the field wasn't full (not sure but makes sense).

As far as distance, I don't think I have seen one less than probably 6800 yards though there may be some. I have played in a couple where it is 7100 or so. Depending on the course, par 3s of 200+ yards and par 4s of 450 or more are not unheard of so you definately need to be longer to have a chance for a good finish but 240 with the driver you can probably get around, especially if you could hand-pick a shorter course. but it is going to be a disadvantage as most kids probably drive it at least 270 I would guess with several at each tourney pounding it out around 290-300. As someone mentioned a 180 6 iron should mean you drive it further than you stated. I would say that should be a 270 yard drive which is enough. Somethings not right either with technique or equipment.

Thanks, that's great info. One of my problems is that I dont get enough leg and hip action into the ball, my hands are behind the ball at impact and I swing my head back when I swing if that makes sense. For example, if during my swing you stood directly behind me you could see my whole front of my face. I am working on all this this off season