Building the Ultimate sets for each Decade

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1380927195' post='7954131']
Well stated JB.

M85 - check
Wilson Dynapower - check
Patty Berg Bullet Backs- check
Haig Ultras - check

But, I never found any use for the AC 101. I did however love the Pinnacle version, which I found extremely more playable than the Titlest.
[/quote]Ahh but grasshoppe :pimp: r,,,who came out with the ac 101';s first....dare I say Achushnet/Titlest or Pinacle......my point on those birds were that they seemed to pave the way for the cavity backs of the future that we all now love and hate

one set I have never been agreeable on is the haig ultra's, someone at my club had a set and they never ever really appealed to me. it may be as a result as the owner was dreadful and never found the sweet spot when in my company ......! but I digress.....

managed to get out yesterday with the following
hogan speeds lot driver (would this be persimmon or laminate, it looks persimmon)
paul Gibson handmade 3wood
macgregor 4 wood, can't remember the model from 1968 I believe....
2-pw Wilson staff button back irons 71-72
Wilson r20 sand wedge gene Sarazan
tad Moore iw271 putter which was actually owned and used by Ian woosnam.

played pretty solidly, quite windy so was pretty tough going but shot 76 going out in 1 over and played the easier of the two nines poorly in 3 over with a double on 10 after a couple of dudges' for chips.

irons went well only problem was the sand wedge really struggled with it as it really seemed to dig into the ground and caused havoc.

all good fun.

no refurb done on the Gibson, I bought them a year or so, did you recommend the to me? Didnt pay much for them think it was a 1,3,5 woods, with a black graphite tt shaft. looks late 1980's at a guess.

hit it very well, doesn't inspire, confidence as the face is a bit of a mess and desperately needs a refurb, do you know of anyone in the uk who does do refurbs, want to give them a go myself but haven't plucked up the courage as yet.

I think I posted pics of my Paul Gibson driver that might have inspired you to keep an eye out!

You have Persimmon Golf Europe down your way (Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire) who buy clubheads from Louisville. Their club maker is supposed to be pretty good.

http://www.persimmongolfclubs.com/

They might do refurb work ?

Failing that, there's a guy called Neil up in Newcastle who is pretty good at refurbs of persimmon woods ... I haven't used him, but I think Stixman has .... ? Let me know if you want his details and I'll have a look. He used to be fairly active on the persimmongolftoday website

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 10 months later...

Well another regurgitation of this post, season once again all over for me, getting shorter each year, perhaps i should play better :) anyway i digress, tommorrow the fun starts again. Here we go.

This is the plan at the moment
1958 Ping Redwood City No Model putter made in karstens garage the original Ping sounding putter.
1955 Macgregot 925 colokrom irons.
Peter Broadbent handmade driver.
Macgregor 693 3 wood
Macgregor 5 wood vip nicklaus.

Roll on....

1950's
DRIVER: MacGregor. M-09 or 106 stamped Penna (model 40 jumbo or DFD), or Mac George Bayer DX-300, or Bayer VELOCITIZED.
Fairways:,,,MacGregor M-75 and ,maybe a Mac M-05 5-wood
Irons: Wilson Staff 1959 Dynapowers all the way through the set
Putter(s): Tommy Armour Ironmaster (of course) IM or IMG, depending ...

1960's
Driver: MacGregog Bayer GB1 or Eye-0-Matic 60 Armour AT1, or, just for a change, PowerBilt Citation with the brass in the insert
Fairways: PowerBilt Citation
Irons: MacGregor VIP by Nicklaus
wedges: Staff DynaPower
Putter: Armour IMG, Wilson DBAP, 8802, 8813....Ping Scottsdale Anser....bite your tongue

1970's
Woods: 1971 Titleist AROM
Irons: 1971 Titleist forged down through the wedges
Putter: MacGregor 101 or Ironmaster
This is exactly what I played in the 70's, my best decade of golf

1980's
Woods: Hogan APEX or Joe Powell, or Izett
Irons: Ping Eye2 stainless or Be Cu through the set. This is killing me here.
Putter: Ping Anser or Pal

1990's no choices

Probably no surprises until the 80's

I managed to persuade a friend of mine yesterday to have a go Retro style, to be fair he didnt take a lot of persuading, he only starting playing around 2000 so Persimmon was a mythical wood, only spoken in foreign tongues! He plays off Scratch and me off 1 so we played off the flat medal, using all old equipment including old 70's balls straight from the packet (old smaller 1.62 size ball).

Here are our set ups

Me :-

Peter Broadbent Persimmon Handmade Driver

Joe Powell 3 wood

Macgregor 1968 WM25 4 wood

1978 Hogan Medallion irons 2-9 iron

Ping Karsten Co anser gary Player model putter

BECU Ping eye2 SW and Lob Wedge

His

Harry Busson Handmade Driver

Macgregor 693 3 Wood

Joe Powell 5 wood

1972 Wilson Dynapower Buttonback irons 2-PW

Ping Eye 2 Lob Wedge

1959 Redwood City No Model Putter with original 'T' grip.

We both used the exact same ball admittedly different numbers so to try and remain as loyal as possible to the traditionalists! Fabulous day all in all, highlight of the day coming after seeing his face after he hit his first putt on the first green and the loud ringing 'Pingggggg' from the putter. Magic! they dont make them like that any more!

After 7 holes he looked like running away with it until a lost ball on the tough 8th and after 9 holes I was one behind. By the time we had gone through 14 I was one ahead, and looked like going 2 ahead until he rolled in Pinging long putt from 25 feet on the 15th! A 3 putt on the last (my 4th of the day) and we finished both level both round in 79's on a par 72 course playing about 6600 yards and pretty windy. Absolute Great fun.

What can I say about the clubs, the irons were little different to the Mizuno's I use day to day, driving is so much tougher requires much more concentration, and a solid strike as leaving your self 200+ yards out is not an option, also into a headwind is far tougher again using persimmon.

What we both struggled with was the wedges and putter, mine was 2 inches too long for what I normally use but am loath to cut it down, so as a result with no confidence in the wedges and putting we rarely got up and down, which makes it for a tough day out there!

Even after all that we had a memorable day and the inaugrual Tenby Persimmon classic will now be extended to an inaugrual Pembrokeshire Persimmon classic as we have a few other interested guys who want to join up in a few weeks time!

Watch this space for more developments!

Pics paint a thousand words:-

imagejpg9_zpsb368191b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps32037d32.jpg

Using good old 1970's Dunlop 65's

imagejpg8_zpsd6a49a86.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsc5dbd150.jpg

imagejpg2_zps27255020.jpg

imagejpg4_zps84ee3285.jpg

imagejpg5_zps026c8172.jpg

Good question, the balls reacted very different to what we are used to, both noticed there were sometimes a few huge bounces looked like a ping png ball bouncing 12 feet in the air from an iron shot in and everything you hit seemed to shoot forward with a lot of top spin particuarly on any sort of chip. This possibly may be more the reason why we both lost confidence with the wedges rather than the wedges themselves. We didnt use any modern balls at all during the round so couldnt really compare, but im pretty sure we would have scored a lot better had we as there would have been a lot more control.

anyone know if the old wound balls loose their lustre like the balata's do?

Still it was great to be 100% retro! and definately the way forward :)

Great posts. Almost felt like I was there. Great position at the top MM, very Hawk like, so the Medallions fit right in. I am thinking your go to shot is a cut.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1409120165' post='10016469']
Great posts. Almost felt like I was there. Great position at the top MM, very Hawk like, so the Medallions fit right in. I am thinking your go to shot is a cut.
[/quote]

Thank you kd, thats hulk hogan, yes goto shot is a cut, take one side of the course out of play is my moto, only the other half to worry about. :) medallions are a great looking iron my favourite though is the 71-72 staffs dynapower buttonbacks which my friend was using (gutted), i,let him choose the bag without looking lol!

Although saying all that, i found myself hitting a draw with the driver, yet hitting my little fade with the irons, can only assume it is shaft related, the driver shaft does feel regular.

Just made an impulse purchase some macgregor custom, new/ old irons. It looks like they were made in the late 80's but are a copy of the 60's diamond ss1's that jack used (didnt he?).

Roll on the weekend, may even get to sneak out before......

MM,

Thanks for the great story and pictures!

Great golf on a proper course-not the type I get to see. Love the Dunlop 65's; if one of you had used Penfold hearts, it could have been Bond and Goldfinger, LOL.

What is the black bag you are carrying? Looks like a Mackenzie ballistic.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1409154453' post='10018455']
MM,

Thanks for the great story and pictures!

Great golf on a proper course-not the type I get to see. Love the Dunlop 65's; if one of you had used Penfold hearts, it could have been Bond and Goldfinger, LOL.

What is the black bag you are carrying? Looks like a Mackenzie ballistic.
[/quote]

I have the clubs version

[attachment=2395179:image.jpg]

And that brings me to a question, what if anything did the differing suits mean with relation to the penfold golf balls? Were they different compressions, or just a gimmic?

Whereabouts are you dbuck are you in the uk?

No sadly i wish it were a mackenzie, still saving up for that one, its just a titleist pencil bag, for the next outing they will all be in older style retroed up bags, the works.

We got out today, played 18 3 of us all retroed up with the following

Mo9 LFF X100 Jumbo Driver

693 3 Wood

Wilson Jack Nicklaus 5 wood

Wilson Dynapower 2-PW Buttonback irons

Hogan Special SW

1959 Ping Redwood City No model putter

Bag 2 Me

Peter Broadbent Driver A243

Joe Powell 3 wood

Macgregor 1968 4 Wood

Macgregor SS1 reissue irons 3-PW

Wilson gene Sarazan SW

Ping Scottsdale IIA putter

Bag 3

Macgregor George Bayer Driver

Wilson Staff tour Block 3 wood

Wilson 5 wood

Hogan Medallion 2-9 Irons

Wilson FG17 SW

Ping Eye 2 BECU Lob Wedge

Ping Scottsdale IA putter

There was a bit of a breeze about possibly playing upto 2 club wind in parts, but in the main about one club wind.

We decided we would use new age balls so srixon ad333 were the order of the day, as the neither of the other guys had played with persimmon before

let alone 1970's balls, although I did swap back to a dunlop 65 towards the end of the round. My friend who plays off +4 was using the Mo9LFF

and for the first few holes was having quite a job in trying to get used to it due to its weight in the main, hitting quite a few blocks, but to be fair he soon got into the swing of it!

Again the irons werent really ever much of an issue and all hit them pretty solid, I did find mine were very light in comparions to the hogans and wilsons ive used the last couple of times out,

and possibly either a reshaft or some lead to be popped down the shaft might be in order before taking them to the field again.

All in all another cracking day, scoring was'nt the greatest all round our handicaps are +4, 1 and 6 and we scored 76,80,81 accordingly, unlike the other day when I was -3 for the last 4 today I +4 for the last 4 :(

tommorrows another day :)

few photos and vids!

image8_zps4201273f.jpg

image7_zpseacb977c.jpg

image6_zpsd725ffee.jpg

image5_zps6fec4014.jpg

image4_zps9962b891.jpg

image_zps9bc9fd9c.jpg

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

• 2 weeks later...

Well managed to get a little soiree together yesterday or a persimmon/old school outing. 6 of us all told with handicaps +4, +1,0,1,6,10 so quite a range, so we decided on a stableford as the one lad off 10 had never hit persimmon before and certainly never used the old 1.62 ball.

Plan was i was going to use the old halve hickory/pyrotene clubs that i have been trying out but got down onto the range and the wind was really up and more so a very tough wind coming at an angle off the sea across the course. We all had a rip with the spoon on the range which was into and off the left and i dont think any of us hit it past the 150 yard marker so that put paid to the hickory idea. So instead i rocked up my set of macgregot m85's gene sarazen r90 wedge, hogan speedslot driver, joe powell 3 wood and 68 macgregor 4 wood and a ping scottsdale 3a putter

It was never going to be a high scoring day, a few highlights was making 2 2's including hitting a 5 iron into the par three 17 th to 2 inches :). Good day all in all and even better that i took the money with. 79 and 30points happy days :)

Wow! you guys started this thread before I was ever on here (my loss in being late to the party) I will have to seriously look at my stuff to see what I can do for each era. I can remember some of my set ups untill the millimeum so to speak i did not change much in those days.
80s Power Bilt driver
Spalding Topflite 4 1/2 wood
Tommy Armour 985 1 iron
irons 3 thru PW 1973 Spalding Elite MV2
SW reproduction Wilson R90
Putter 1972 Ping Anser
90s Driver Power Bilt blonde persimmon cracked fatally in 96 or so replaced with Tony Penna blonde persimmon HM55 graphite
4 wood H&B Louisville
1 iron Karsten 1
irons 3 thru 9 1966 Powerbilt H&B Levelume
PW 1966 Spalding Elite 10 iron
SW reproduction Wilson R90
putter Ping Zing2
Note did not go to metal woods untill 02 or so
2002 up
Driver Golfgear Tsunami 8*
3 wood Cally Steelhead 13*
1 iron Ping Zing
Irons 3 thru PW 1970s macgregor VIPs
SW Cleveland 56* (dont remember model no) replaced old R90
putter Ping Zing2
Now my modern gamers
Driver Hathaway V-4 9* custom built
3 wood Callaway Steelhead
7 wood TM V steel (come on guys I am getting older)
irons 4 thru PW Infiniti TS 10 forged cavity backs 9 (yeah I am really getting older)
Gap wedge 51* Hogan K grind forged
Sand wedge 56* Srixon forged
Lob wedge Scratch 60*
putter Ping Zing2 or Ping Anser2 depends on my mood
You notice I did not change some clubs over the decades to be honest if i could find a r90 that peformed like mine did I would not carry a 60

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Simply great posts MoaningM.

Need to find some like minded buddies here, though we all play off 10-12 or so.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Got out with these mixture of hickory and irons obviously with a nice little side dish of percy :) i replaced the 3, 5 and 8 irons for hickory 1, mid iron and large faced mashie

5f9ddf6813ed7bbf32efb9ea78c9bf0d_zps852ec114.jpg

5e851c23e3fcfdce6cc44f62e02bc8e3_zpse4e04d7f.jpg

8188ed71db65d539d9089545c9982657_zpsabc73c07.jpg

dc91fbb17a8e636b2e6071324607d519_zps855f6bec.jpg

Had a little experiment in trying out the hickory 1 iron against the wilson 2 iron, as you can see the hickory is a good inch+ shorter than the wilson but looks like it has less loft (not checked). Didn't help that the grip unravelled on the hickory so not making it an easy club to use

1ea55944c3a7f4376bbb1ab6e039596d_zps20e25558.jpg

58ff5dcc19549aef98546b87b52a59b4_zpsae280e60.jpg

7261a1dbe29e76e74258af361c558628_zps986a22e5.jpg

Hit both off the 2nd tee downwind probably playing a good 2 club wind, didn't flush the hickory, but absolutely did the wilson, after pacing it out there was exactly 60 yards difference, i still hit the hickory a couple yards short of 220 but the 2 iron was almost 280, ridiculous!

You can just see the ball in the middle of the fairway if you look hard enough :!

1d32a84688e4800b75b1af56fd8fcfb1_zpsbe119b94.jpg

So i thought i'd do the same on the next which runs parallel to the 2nd so straight back into the wind. This time trying to control the flight a little more hit the 2 iron pretty good not as well as the previous, the 1 iron though i struck really well, this time the 1 iron was a good 10-12 yards past the wilson. The wilson was about 190 and the hickory about 200 yards! Make of, that what you like but it goes to show if you strike it well the hickory still sends it out there, and possibly its the ball that makes the biggest difference in todays world.

Should add the ball in question srixon ad333 :)