Building the Ultimate sets for each Decade

What would be in your list 50's - 90's
I've been over the past few years building up differing set's all of which have to belong to the same era/decade. The intention is to create 5 differing bags for each decade from the 1950's thro to the 1990's, then play them each in turn to see for myself what the advancements (if any) have been made.

So question to the knowledgeable. If you had the opportunity to put together the ultimate set of clubs for each decade what would be the makeup of that set? Irons through to the putter.

Irons wise this is my lot so far

1950's - George Nicoll Henry Cotton Autograph
1960's - Wilson Dynapower 1968
1970's - 1971 Wilson Buttonback, Hogan Medallion 78
1980's - Ping Eye 2 Becu's/ various Mizuno MS
1990's - Mizuno Mp14/MP29

Woods, vary drastically, M85W for 1950's various Macgregor for the 60's 70's, again putters everyintg from a Ping scottsdale Anser in the 1960's through to scotty NP2 in the 1990's.

So what would be your ultimate set comprise for each decade?

Cheers Kev,

Its something I had been thinking about for a long long time after buying an older set of irons for fun some years back and noticing very little in advancement of them to my more supposed uptodate set (apart from lofts that is). Got the old grey matter moving so to speak.

[quote name='MoaningM' date='25 January 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1264422014' post='2202584']
Cheers Kev,

Its something I had been thinking about for a long long time after buying an older set of irons for fun some years back and noticing very little in advancement of them to my more supposed uptodate set (apart from lofts that is). Got the old grey matter moving so to speak.
[/quote]

As a side anecdote, when I look back to the 70's, no "player" used new clubs, and no "player" had anything that matched. I went through a lot of clubs, but the set I most remember from around 1976:

MacGregor Armour 693 Eye-O-Matic from the 50's
Power Bilt Persimmon 3 Wood From The 60's
Hogan Apex 1-9 Fairly New
Wilson Staff PW From The 60's
Wilson R-20 SW with dot face From the 30's!
Acushnet Bullseye Designed By Reuter Putter From The 60's

That made me COOL! LOL

You look at my sig now, and using a full compliment of 1 companies clubs seem to be [i]more[/i] the norm, or at least [i]more[/i] accepted...

Thanks for starting a fun, thought provoking thread!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Great stuff

I totally agree with your statement that it is more accepted these to have one company set right the way through your bag (bag included), why is that, when did the change take place, just seems to have happened.

As you said I certainly cannot remember years ago a "player" ever having the same company through the bag, if you did see someone bag like that, you immediately had grave doubts... ;)?

Late 80's mine was

Tonney Penna Persimmon Driver
Wilson Staff Persimmon 3 wood
Ping Eye 2 1 Iron
Mizuno TP-9 3-W
1970's Wilson Gene Sarazan R-20 SW
Ping Anser putter

Wonderful.......

1970's sorry m8 too early for me ;P

Great stuff

I totally agree with your statement that it is more accepted these to have one company set right the way through your bag (bag included), why is that, when did the change take place, just seems to have happened.

As you said I certainly cannot remember years ago a "player" ever having the same company through the bag, if you did see someone bag like that, you immediately had grave doubts... ;)?

Late 80's mine was

Tonney Penna Persimmon Driver

Wilson Staff Persimmon 3 wood

Ping Eye 2 1 Iron

Mizuno TP-9 3-W

1970's Wilson Gene Sarazan R-20 SW

Ping Anser putter

Wonderful.......

1970's sorry m8 too early for me ;P

In my opinion, in the 70's, the trend for "game improvement" clubs started. Companies really started focusing their energy on cast, forgiving irons, and persimmon, good persimmon, wasn't as plentiful, and companies wouldn't take the time or energy to use the great stuff. The exceptions would have been small companies like Penna who really paid attention to detail. The 70's were about forgiveness, and quantity to take care of the fast growing game.

Now, science and technology have rendered these great old classics obsolete. A shame really, I kind of miss the challenge of putting together a great set. laugh.gif Now, if you want to be realistic, you can argue that EVERY company makes great clubs. I don't think there is a brand I couldn't be fit for and be very happy playing all through the bag...

drinks.gif

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[b]Great topic!![/b]

Some initial thoughts off the top of my head:

1950s -
Woods: MacGregor M09 LFF, M85 fairways
Irons: Hogan Precision irons
Wedges: 1958 or 1959 Wilson Dynapowered honorable mention to the Wilson R-20/R-90)
Putter: John Reutter Jr. (pre-acushnet) bullseye or A.G. Spalding Cash-in with pencil shaft.

1960s -
Woods: ?? Perhaps some G. Izett custom persimmon woods
Irons: 1962 Hogan Power Thrust or 1969 Wilson Staff bullet-back
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer/Exploder
Putter: 1962 Wilson Arnold Palmer, 1963 Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer, 1964 The Wilson 8802.

1970s -
Woods: Tony Penna or Joe Powell
Irons: 1971-72 Wilson Staff Button back or Hogan Apex blades
Wedges:
Putter: George Low Wizard 600, Ping Anser Zebra mallet

1980s -
Woods: Wood Brothers Texan driver or Cleveland Classic RC85
Irons: MacGregor custom order blades with Don White grinds or Ping Eye 2 becu
Wedges: Cleveland or Wilson R-90 (remakes)
Putter: T.P. Mills handmade

[quote name='drewspin' date='25 January 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1264439891' post='2202957']
[b]Great topic!![/b]

Some initial thoughts off the top of my head:

1950s -
Woods: MacGregor M09 LFF, M85 fairways
Irons: Hogan Precision irons
Wedges: 1958 or 1959 Wilson Dynapowered honorable mention to the Wilson R-20/R-90)
Putter: John Reutter Jr. (pre-acushnet) bullseye or A.G. Spalding Cash-in with pencil shaft.

1960s -
Woods: ?? Perhaps some G. Izett custom persimmon woods
Irons: 1962 Hogan Power Thrust or 1969 Wilson Staff bullet-back
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer/Exploder
Putter: 1962 Wilson Arnold Palmer, 1963 Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer, 1964 The Wilson 8802.

1970s -
Woods: Tony Penna or Joe Powell
Irons: 1971-72 Wilson Staff Button back or Hogan Apex blades
Wedges:
Putter: George Low Wizard 600, Ping Anser Zebra mallet

1980s -
Woods: Wood Brothers Texan driver or Cleveland Classic RC85
Irons: MacGregor custom order blades with Don White grinds or Ping Eye 2 becu
Wedges: Cleveland or Wilson R-90 (remakes)
Putter: T.P. Mills handmade
[/quote]

Drew

Fantastic stuff, exactly what I was hoping to get from this, Have never seen the George Izzet customs in the flesh, really got me interested in these, did see a post recently someone talking these up. Have to delve deeper. anyone got any pics of examples?

The M09LFF - absolutely definately! 693 honerable mention there possibly?

Wedges are difficult particuarly for the 50's and 60's as they never came as part of many set's more so purchased individually, any other example out there??

Keep them coming......

Below is a Harry Busson 3 wood I have but no idea of the decade let alone year it was made, sole plate has Harry Busson Walton Heath, anyone out there shed any light ?

Also a few of my percy drivers I have tucked away!
[attachment=528516:drivers.jpg]
[attachment=528515:harryB.jpg]

I'll give a partial answer, only because I'm not well versed with a lot of those years.
50s
Woods - MacGregor M85 or 693
Irons - Hogan personal
Putters - no clue

60s
Irons - Wilson Staff Turfrider Dynas
Woods - Not sure, perhaps Mac Tommy Armour AT2W keyhole
Putter- Probably the Spalding Cash in, or maybe that belongs in 50s. not sure.

70s.
Irons would be Staff Dynapowers (bulletbacks) or 72 Apex
Woods - Hogan persimmons or Toney Penna models
Putters - Acushnet Bullseye

80s
Irons- Hogan Apex (Apex IIs or PC model)
Woods - Wood Bros Texas Golf Co. Texan
Wedges - Wilson Staff JPII 55 degress
Putters - Ping

90s
Mizuno MP14 and MP29
Woods - Callaway Big Bertha , Wood Bros persimmons for the traditionalist.
Putters - Ping

Moaning,
Like that Powell..

Freddie

That Powell I actually brought brand spanking new, it's a limited edition version that was brought out in the early 90's, it looks absolutely gorgeous with a joe Powell Neumann calf grip.

I had to wait for 10 months to get it afer ordering it, and then took me another 6 months to pluck up the courage to take it to the course, after 18 holes and snap hooking every tee shot with it I realised it was'nt for me. 17 odd years later I took it out for it's 2nd outing (last spring) with sadly very similar result, would dearly like to reshaft it but that's almost sacrilige.

I'll have to give the multiple decades some thought but one of my favorite set make-ups was a late 80's as well.

Palmer Peerless Densitized Persimmon Driver
Tommy Armour Silver Scot Persimmon #4 wood
Ben Hogan Apex PC 3-PW
Tom Watson Scoring System Wedges 55-60-64
Arnold Palmer "Original" Putter

I really had the feeling that the greats were actually in my bag and waiting to be called to action.

Whats in the Bag:
Srixon Zx7 MKII 10.5* set to 11.5* with 44" Dynamic Gold X100
Srixon Zx7 MKII 15* Fairway set to 16* with Hazrdous Stiff Graphite

Srixon Zx7 MKII 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour Prototype 85 Stiff Graphite
Srixon Zx7 4-PW with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 50-54-58* Mid Grind Wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner Shafts

Cleveland Frontline Elite CERO Putter
Intelligent Design TRUST Milled Putter 

[quote name='MoaningM' date='25 January 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1264445444' post='2203131']
Below is a Harry Busson 3 wood I have but no idea of the decade let alone year it was made, sole plate has Harry Busson Walton Heath, anyone out there shed any light ?

Also a few of my percy drivers I have tucked away!
[attachment=528516:drivers.jpg]
[attachment=528515:harryB.jpg]
[/quote]

Hi MoaningM,

I would guess that your Busson 3 wood is from the mid to late 70's, as the soleplate and number is exactly the same style as my Busson driver, although mine says J H Busson. I got the driver around 1981, it had previously been owned by Mark James, and, alledgedly, Seve. First time I've seen a Busson 3 wood, looks gorgeous!

Cheers Rich

If I'd have had to guess I would have said 70's maybe early 80's but would have had no real conviction behind it.

Is that the Busson in your bag in your pic there? Where did you get it from, great pieces of timber, and pre-owned by Jesse and Seve, not a bad pedigree!

Picked the 3 wood up from a Pro in Carmarthern must be almost 20 years ago for 20 quid, almost took his hand off at the time, was like a kid that had got the candy!

This is a terrific topic for the nostalgia golfers here. It takes some thought because I was not playing in the 50s-70s (the 50s would have been difficult since I was not a glint in my parents eye ;) ). Therefore, I have to either use experience or reputation for those 50s-70s sets (some equipment actually played). Anyway, here it goes.

50s
Woods: 1954 MacGregor Toney Penna TPT Driver, 1953 MacGregor 945TW 3-wood, 1953 MacGregor 945TW 4-wood
Irons: MacGregor 1955 MacGregor Tommy Armour 945T Colokrom irons
Putters: MacGregor IM IronMaster putter

60s
Woods: MacGregor PT1W 1,3,4
Irons: 1967 MacGregor VIP
Putter: Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer

70s.
Woods: Powerbilt Citation
Irons: 1971-72 Wilson Staff Button back
Putters: Ping Zing 85020 black band shaft

80s
Woods: Cleveland Classics RC75
Irons: MacGregor Muirfield 20th (1,3-PW DG-X100, SW) <--- This was my set in the late 80s
Putters: Ping Zing 2 SS

90s
Woods: Wood Bros persimmons (early 90s), Titleist 975D, Titleist PT15 3-wood (late 90s)
Irons: Mizuno MP14/MP29
Putters: Scotty Cameron Napa or Coronado

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Moaning,
Those 68 Dynas look great. I had a set of 85 Staff Tour blades which I think were a copy of those (I played in HS), but didn't say Dynapower. This year I'm planning on playing a good amount of golf with my 85 Apex PCs as well as a Wood Bros Persimmon driver. I'll be switching out a bunch of drivers, because I have few nice gamers. Can't wait for spring!

Moaning,

Those 68 Dynas look great. I had a set of 85 Staff Tour blades which I think were a copy of those (I played in HS), but didn't say Dynapower. This year I'm planning on playing a good amount of golf with my 85 Apex PCs as well as a Wood Bros Persimmon driver. I'll be switching out a bunch of drivers, because I have few nice gamers. Can't wait for spring!

What an understatement! laugh.gifyahoo.gif

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='MoaningM' date='26 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1264521818' post='2205082']
sadly not got the sandwedge to go with the irons, one to look out for, but they are a lovely iron to hit.
[/quote]

I believe I can help you out with that. I have one that used to be my grandfathers, and I used it off an on through high school and college. Still in pretty good shape.

We can work it out via PM.

I will just list my "all-time" bag:

Driver: MacGregor M85 - no contest in my mind

3-Wood: MacGregor 693 or a MacGregor Toney Penna "Clover Leaf" Sole Plate

4-Wood: Same as 3-wood

Irons: 2-PW MacGregor VIP/Nicklaus/Muirfield variant - can't decide which set I like better, the 68-69 VIP's by Nicklaus, the 86 model Muirfield "Tour Forged," or the 1991 VIP re-makes

Sand Wedge: 1958-59 Wilson Dyna-Powered "Fluid Feel" w/ arrow on hosel

Putter: Either a Designed by Palmer, a George Low Wizard 600, or a Tommy Armour IM-6

Balls: Titleist 384 Tour 100 Balatas

I'm a sucker for anything VIP/Nicklaus with satin chrome and diamonds on the faces :)

[quote name='mbaisley' date='26 January 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1264552883' post='2206158']
I will just list my "all-time" bag:

Driver: MacGregor M85 - no contest in my mind

3-Wood: MacGregor 693 or a MacGregor Toney Penna "Clover Leaf" Sole Plate

4-Wood: Same as 3-wood

Irons: 2-PW MacGregor VIP/Nicklaus/Muirfield variant - can't decide which set I like better, the 68-69 VIP's by Nicklaus, the 86 model Muirfield "Tour Forged," or the 1991 VIP re-makes

Sand Wedge: 1958-59 Wilson Dyna-Powered "Fluid Feel" w/ arrow on hosel

Putter: Either a Designed by Palmer, a George Low Wizard 600, or a Tommy Armour IM-6

Balls: Titleist 384 Tour 100 Balatas

I'm a sucker for anything VIP/Nicklaus with satin chrome and diamonds on the faces :)
[/quote]

For instance..... here is a great picture.
[attachment=529399:macgregor-irons-jack-nicklaus_t620.jpg]

I gamed a set of MacGregor VIP remakes in 1990 - 1992. I sold those after I got a set of 1992 Hogan Apex irons. I have to say that those VIP remakes were terrific! I hit a lot of great shots with those irons.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

In the 80's you would have to go with the Taylor Made Burner with the Flex Twist shaft. And then there was the Big Bertha. The beginning of the modern metal woods. The Texan was a fine persimmon driver too.

Three sets of irons stand out in the 80's. Ping Eye 2 - Tommy Armour 845's, and Hogan Apex's. Cleveland wedges were huge in the 80's too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Great post Doc, just what I was looking for, some great ideas in there it's just now trying to put the sets alltogether, and actually getting out there and using them.

Some really good food for thought!

This is a terrific topic for the nostalgia golfers here. It takes some thought because I was not playing in the 50s-70s (the 50s would have been difficult since I was not a glint in my parents eye wink.gif ). Therefore, I have to either use experience or reputation for those 50s-70s sets (some equipment actually played). Anyway, here it goes.

50s

Woods: 1954 MacGregor Toney Penna TPT Driver, 1953 MacGregor 945TW 3-wood, 1953 MacGregor 945TW 4-wood

Irons: MacGregor 1955 MacGregor Tommy Armour 945T Colokrom irons

Putters: MacGregor IM IronMaster putter

60s

Woods: MacGregor PT1W 1,3,4

Irons: 1967 MacGregor VIP

Putter: Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer

70s.

Woods: Powerbilt Citation

Irons: 1971-72 Wilson Staff Button back

Putters: Ping Zing 85020 black band shaft

80s

Woods: Cleveland Classics RC75

Irons: MacGregor Muirfield 20th (1,3-PW DG-X100, SW) <--- This was my set in the late 80s

Putters: Ping Zing 2 SS

90s

Woods: Wood Bros persimmons (early 90s), Titleist 975D, Titleist PT15 3-wood (late 90s)

Irons: Mizuno MP14/MP29

Putters: Scotty Cameron Napa or Coronado

[quote name='drewspin' date='26 January 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1264528418' post='2205281']
[quote name='MoaningM' date='26 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1264521818' post='2205082']
sadly not got the sandwedge to go with the irons, one to look out for, but they are a lovely iron to hit.
[/quote]

I believe I can help you out with that. I have one that used to be my grandfathers, and I used it off an on through high school and college. Still in pretty good shape.

We can work it out via PM.
[/quote]

I'm really happy for MoaningM.

You are the man [b]Drew[/b]! Cheers!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again