2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Greywolf golf course

shotclock

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an UNREAL course but gets TONNES of play now. I worked there for a while and it use to do around 12000 rounds and now does over 33000. 1 2 and 3 play way up hill and is one to two clubs more. Opposite for 4 and 5. Soooooo good.....i wish i could play it every day again. I did have the course record there a few years back with 68 from the grey tees. Not too low but it is a long windy track in the heat of the summer. Have fun playing it!!!! :)

While you're in the Panorama area, Eagle Ranch is also a must play. I liked it a lot. I liked it better than Copper Point last time I was there, even if Copper Point is still a very good third choice. I never had the chance to play Greywolf. First time I was in B.C. they were building it and second time was last spring (2005) and it was still closed while the others in the valley were open.

Also, Banff Springs, Jasper Park Lodge and Kananaskis, like the previous post mentionned are very renouned. Can't really go wrong.

i played greywolf twice last season. great course and worth the trip from drayton valley, AB. lots of elevation changes and solid greens, i really enjoyed myself. if i had one complaint, it would be that they told us that we would be able to play ourselves, then forced us to play with others. no big deal, the people we played with were choppers, so there were no nerves on my part. also, i played the xbox game after visiting there and the game doesnt give the course justice, its much nicer in person.

While you're in the Panorama area, Eagle Ranch is also a must play. I liked it a lot. I liked it better than Copper Point last time I was there, even if Copper Point is still a very good third choice. I never had the chance to play Greywolf. First time I was in B.C. they were building it and second time was last spring (2005) and it was still closed while the others in the valley were open.

Also, Banff Springs, Jasper Park Lodge and Kananaskis, like the previous post mentionned are very renouned. Can't really go wrong.

I work in the industry and if you want to play by yourself then buy the whole tee time.....a busy course like Greywolf sells tee times....4 at a time..... either get 2 more freinds..... pay more or deal with deal with it.....

Of course you are going to be paired with people.....its not your local Muni where they toss you out whenever your ball gets to the front of the rack.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I played several rounds there last summer. The course is awesome mountain golf and on my top 10 list. You had better know your distances and adjust to severe elevation changes well if you want to play well there. The uphill holes are best played with previous experience or a local's advice, but the rest of the holes are pretty obvious on what you're supposed to do. It's just a fun course because the layout is so great. You may not feel like its fun starting out the first three holes which are uphill and one is a beast of a par 5, but as the round progresses you'll start to appreciate the varied design. And the Cliffhanger hole is one that should make the Golf Hole Hall of Fame. Last but not least, the views of both the mountain and also the nice houses around add so much to the eye-appeal. I just love watching a golf ball fly against a mountain backdrop instead of the usual blue sky.

Other notes: the critters there are aggressive so watch your food closely, especially when you leave your cart; the Panorama resort staff was fine; and there's some decent restaurants in town.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I have play Greywolf and Banff and both are well worth playing. Banff is only worth playing because it is one of those courses that needs to be played once in your life. Stewart Creek is a much better course. Not all that challenging (Banff) and because of the zero chemical policy, the course is sometimes not in good shape. There are fairly accurate hole descriptions online and I would recommend that you study the holes and select what clubs you need to hit off the tees so that you know where you are hitting and what club to hit off the tee.

Greywolf is easily the best in the area. If you have the time, I would go early in the morning and play twice since the first time you will underclub and overclub a lot. They have a great Yardage book and if you call the shop they might be willing to send you one. I was able to get one prior to playing and mapped out my plan of attack and wasn't like a deer in the headlights when I was on the tees. The vistas are amazing and if you have a non-playing partner with you (cost more) they can take the pics and you can look and play. Driving Range is neat. It's about 500 ft above the 1st hole up the mountain side and you hit into the mtn side. It looks like the ball goes about 50 yards and it has gone 200. From the edge of the range you are looking down at the whole course.

Greywolf has huge elevation changes and some holes you need 2-3 clubs more just to get it to the right level. Play from tees you can handle or you will never enjoy yourself. Don't be afraid to play from different tees if you are joined with others, just let the starter know where every is playing from and there should be no problem.

Greywolf has 4 1/2 hour round policy and are constantly harassing you when there is nothing you can do about it. Carts are almost mandatory and quite often it is cart paths only and the fairway are elevated or in a valley and very wide. Under cart paths only rules it is impossible to play in 4 1/2 hours there. Not to mention you want to take pictures and almost everyone there is a first time player. Still a great place to play.

Just a few pics. No matter what the season, you can expect to wear everything from shorts to full out rain gear in one day.

[attachment=518993:Greywolf_2b.jpg]
[attachment=518986:Greywolf__3a_Tee.JPG]
[attachment=518996:Greywolf__6_Tee.JPG]
[attachment=518995:Greywolf...k_to_Tee.JPG]
[attachment=518985:Greywolf__16a_Tee.JPG]

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm going to have a full day (next Tuesday) in the Panorama area and am looking to get 36 holes in. Definitely 18 at Greywolf.

Anyone have a recommendation for the other 18. Copper Point? Eagle Ranch? The Springs at Radium? Cost isn't an issue.

Also, in terms of how busy the course is and pace of play, do you think it would be be better to make Greywolf the first round (mid morning) or second round (twilight)?