2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Apps for iphone

[quote name='volrus' date='04 March 2010 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1267722642' post='2292771']
[quote name='phil75070' date='27 February 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1267298883' post='2281342']
[quote name='volrus' date='26 February 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1267237466' post='2280117']
How comfortable do you all feel with the iPhone's GPS capabilities and getting reliable yardages? I ask because on my 3GS it seems pretty far off when using the Maps feature on my phone when I'm driving down the road....it almost always has me on some other road that I'm not on.
[/quote]

Someone actually did a Study on iPhone accuracy:

[url="http://gisandscience.com/2009/07/15/accuracy-of-iphone-locations-a-comparison-of-assisted-gps-wifi-and-cellular-positioning/"][url="http://gisandscience...ar-positioning/"]http://gisandscience...ar-positioning/[/url][/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, from reading the abstract it sounds like the iPhone GPS isn't very accurate. It would seem that this could severely limit iPhone's ability to be comparable with the stand along GPS units (skycaddie). Anyone field tested it compared to a skycaddie or other stand alone gps?
[/quote]

I will add that I have a SkyCaddie SG5 and it also reads within 1-2 yards of my GolfShot program.

The study posted by gisandscience was published in July of 2009, and used an iPhone 3g, which was over a year old at that time. The 3 Gs became available a month before, in June of 2009, and is the current model.

Several of the most popular iPhone programs and golf GPS units were tested by CriticalGolf:

[url="http://criticalgolf.com/iphone-golf-gps-software-reviews/"]Critical Golf[/url]

The results show that GolfShot scored the same for accuracy as the SG5, that is, within 3-4 yards of known course markers. They also reviewed dedicated GPS units in addition to laser rangefinders. Follow the link and you can read these reviews.

In regard to the Golflogix images, on the first page of this thread I posted pics of the same hole from Golflogix, and GolfShot. I did this because I felt the Golflogix images were substandard, possibly due to them being from Google Maps.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all

I just downloaded the GolfShot app. I'm excited to use it soon.

I have used the golf logix demo already. It was alright. Drained my battery like crazy. Even though I had the settings set up to save battery life.

I just ordered a back up battery from monoprice as well. Just in case.

Another app I have used that is FREE is called "My Caddie"

Go to www.imakepars.com They have software where you can map your own courses. It uses Google maps and you have options to do about 20 different markers. I really like using it for the courses that aren't in a database for the GPS programs. Once you're done mapping you submit the course and its available for download on the app.

Dr. B

Anyone tried GolfCard? Reading everything I have, it seems like it's more accurate and a better overall program than GolfShot. I ask because I'm about to download one (actually DL GolfLogix for free, which I suppose is a demo). Everything I've read says GolfCard is better because people actually walk the courses instead of mapping from an office and that it's more accurate and a more powerful program.

Ok. I just got back from playing 9 holes. I used the GolfShot app.......WOW!! I'm super impressed!!

All the options it gives you for scoring is absolutely awesome! I love the handicap feature too. It blows golf logix away!
It sure beats writing down my putts per round, sand saves, ect on a card. I love seeing the graphs as well.

Dr.B

[quote name='Soon2AdjustYou' date='05 March 2010 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1267817673' post='2295276']
Ok. I just got back from playing 9 holes. I used the GolfShot app.......WOW!! I'm super impressed!!

All the options it gives you for scoring is absolutely awesome! I love the handicap feature too. It blows golf logix away!
It sure beats writing down my putts per round, sand saves, ect on a card. I love seeing the graphs as well.

Dr.B
[/quote]

I'm going to try the same thing when the snow melts. Great to see another member so excited about it!

Thanks,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='05 March 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1267808024' post='2294948']
Anyone tried GolfCard? Reading everything I have, it seems like it's more accurate and a better overall program than GolfShot. I ask because I'm about to download one (actually DL GolfLogix for free, which I suppose is a demo). Everything I've read says GolfCard is better because people actually walk the courses instead of mapping from an office and that it's more accurate and a more powerful program.
[/quote]

RookieBlue7,

Apologies, not ignoring you, I just haven't heard any reviews on the app. Is it newer?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I don't guess it is. It was on O'Reilly's must have apps list and supposedly is the #1 selling sports app.

Here's the site for it: http://www.senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html

It's on sale for $7.99 right now on iTunes. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it. I just got my iPhone yesterday, but have a round coming up in the AM at a local links style course I've only played twice so I was looking for something I could download to try on it. I'll have a SkyCaddie and a Garmin in my foursome to compare it to.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='05 March 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1267820209' post='2295355']
I don't guess it is. It was on O'Reilly's must have apps list and supposedly is the #1 selling sports app.

Here's the site for it: http://www.senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html

It's on sale for $7.99 right now on iTunes. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it. I just got my iPhone yesterday, but have a round coming up in the AM at a local links style course I've only played twice so I was looking for something I could download to try on it. I'll have a SkyCaddie and a Garmin in my foursome to compare it to.
[/quote]

WOW, that looks really good as well. Anxious to hear what you think of it. Hopefully someone who has used it will jump in.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Sorry, I know this is off topic but my experience has been that the GPS on the 3GS is dead accurate (while driving). If you are driving and it has you on the wrong street then you may have lost your connection to the satellite altogether and are looking at an estimated location that is being derived through triangulation of the 3 closest cell towers, you can usually tell if this has happened because the little blue dot will be surrounded by a larger circle that is shaded blue, essentially they are telling you that you are somewhere in that circle.........

I will definitely be trying the V1 swing analyzer when the snow melts, no need for a gps app, it may be accurate to 1-2 yards but I, unfortunately, am not..........unless of course the swing analyzer fixes all that.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='05 March 2010 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1267828743' post='2295608']
The thing that jumps out for me for golf card is it has about double the courses that golfshot has
[/quote]

Have you found a lot of courses you play that aren't on GolfShot?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='dasbill' date='22 February 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1266899914' post='2270847']
I have golfshot also. Can't complain at all. Gave my son my golflogix and never looked back.
[/quote]

I use the free version of GolfShot, for stats and scorekeeping.

I don't need the GPS version, I have a laser and have played just about every course before so I know the features. In fact, I think GPS devices are highly over-rated (but that is a different topic).

[quote name='ugottabelieve' date='05 March 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1267823960' post='2295471']
Sorry, I know this is off topic but my experience has been that the GPS on the 3GS is dead accurate (while driving). If you are driving and it has you on the wrong street then you may have lost your connection to the satellite altogether and are looking at an estimated location that is being derived through triangulation of the 3 closest cell towers, you can usually tell if this has happened because the little blue dot will be surrounded by a larger circle that is shaded blue, essentially they are telling you that you are somewhere in that circle.........

I will definitely be trying the V1 swing analyzer when the snow melts, no need for a gps app, it may be accurate to 1-2 yards but I, unfortunately, am not..........unless of course the swing analyzer fixes all that.
[/quote]

without being to nerdy (and off topic), the gps on the phone updates when you move. thats why google maps works great, because you're moving, other apps that use gps dont work so great if you're not moving. the blue radius you see around the dot is the horizontal accuracy of the gps signal.

now on topic i have used golfshots gps for a year now and its good for scores / stats. the problem i have is the gps .... it eats battery, as stated above you have to move around until it gets a good gps lock, and even using the app for a year sometimes you just scratch your head and say "huh, why did it just do that". but for 30 bux def worth it.

Was looking at buying an iphone, then found out that any service would be the same
as the apple computors which I have already had one horror story with. The battery
on the lap top was no good within a week, and apple wanted me to pay to send it
back to CA, then they would decide if they would replace it or not. The dealer who
sold me the laptop verified that the battery was NG, but they would not replace it.
Apple service sucks. I will look for another phone, then add in a golf app, unless apple
gets into the real world with their service.
Be warned iphones are not bullet proof, and you better have a back up phone if anything
goes wrong.

Used the GolfShot GPS this week on a trip to San Antonio for six different courses and for the most part, worked very well. There were a few times when the GPS would take a long time to lock in and a few times when the yardage seemed way off. Compared it to the GPS on the carts on a couple of places and was within a few yards almost every time. Big plus was the aerial view, especially on blind holes or dog legs. Well worth the $30 one time cost.

[quote name='Snowgolf' date='06 March 2010 - 07:19 AM' timestamp='1267888774' post='2296656']
Was looking at buying an iphone, then found out that any service would be the same
as the apple computors which I have already had one horror story with. The battery
on the lap top was no good within a week, and apple wanted me to pay to send it
back to CA, then they would decide if they would replace it or not. The dealer who
sold me the laptop verified that the battery was NG, but they would not replace it.
Apple service sucks. I will look for another phone, then add in a golf app, unless apple
gets into the real world with their service.
Be warned iphones are not bullet proof, and you better have a back up phone if anything
goes wrong.
[/quote]

Your experience with an Apple product seems to be the exception fortunately. Mine was quite different.

While on a road trip from Las Vegas to Portland, OR, my iPhone went dead when I plugged it in for an overnight charge. When I got to Portland, I made an appointment online at one of the Apple Stores for 11:00 AM. I walked in, handed over my 5 month old phone, the tech said "Yeah, I can't even get the battery to come up on my equipment", and handed me a new phone. I was out the door within about 15 minutes of my appointment time. My warranty was still in place up to the 1 year from the original purchase on the broken phone. You can even go to their website and put in your serial number and view your product warranty remaining. For iPhones out of warranty they have a flat $199 fee for replacement even if you ran over your phone. This is in lieu of paying the retail replacement cost, which is hundreds of dollars more.

Warranty service is one of Apples' best features according to several surveys, and they lead the industry in customer satisfaction. Here's a quote from CNet:

"Apple blew away its PC industry peers in this year's American Customer Satisfaction Index, perhaps because it was the only company that didn't release a Windows Vista PC.The [url="http://www.theacsi.org/"][b][color="#1e5b7e"]University of Michigan released its annual ACSI scores[/color][/b][/url] Tuesday for the PC industry, and Apple took top honors for the fifth straight year."

[url="http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10019711-37.html"]CNet Link[/url]

Sorry you had such a bad time, did you take your computer to an Apple Store?

iPhone guys and gals,

In another thread, Finalist mentioned there will be new phones coming out in June, and the rumor is better camera and better GPS. I moved my question to this thread...

Typically, if I buy an iPhone now, and a new one comes out in June, do the companies offer an upgrade\trade in, or do you have to start over and pay full price for a new phone?

Thanks,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The expectation is, the new iPhone should be out in June. This seems to be based on the past few years model introductions. The iPad launch is in April, possibly so as to not conflict with this schedule.

I'd wait for the new phone, and if it isn't much of an improvement, they should have the current model discounted accordingly.

I'll be buying a new one, and my wife will get my current 3 Gs. Unless there is some significant reason to step off. Typically, they introduce a new Operating System about the time as new hardware. They also tend to make it backwardly compatible with the older hardware. Unlike Microsoft, who just brought out Windows Mobile 7. It cannot be installed on older equipment. That seems like such a slap in the face, making WinMobile 6.5 a dead end OS.

I've never owned any Apple products until my 1st iPhone a year ago. They are so far ahead of the field it is still amazing. And I used to own a cellphone store.

Edited to actually answer your question:

No, they do not have a trade in policy, and you would not be eligible for a discounted upgrade without a year's service behind you. Actually, they will give you a few hundred off. For instance, if you have been on AT&T for 3 months, you should be able to buy the new phone for say, $399 instead of $599 retail price. However, if you wait, you can probably get it for $199 or possibly even less. No real pricing guides available on the new hardware.

[quote name='draver' date='07 March 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1267975751' post='2299130']
No, they do not have a trade in policy, and you would not be eligible for a discounted upgrade without a year's service behind you. Actually, they will give you a few hundred off. For instance, if you have been on AT&T for 3 months, you should be able to buy the new phone for say, $399 instead of $599 retail price. However, if you wait, you can probably get it for $199 or possibly even less. No real pricing guides available on the new hardware.
[/quote]

EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thank you very much!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

kevcarter,

One thing I did not mention is, there is a huge resale market for iPhones on Ebay and CraigsList. My year old 3 G is currently selling in the $250-$300 range. At that price point they don't last too long either from what I've seen. Users on the T-Mobile service seem to be the ones looking for these phones. They work fine, and T-Mobile does not sell iPhones.

If you really "Need it Now" you could buy the current 3 Gs, then sell it in June if you wanted the new model. The 3 Gs should still bring good money then, and all Apple warranties transfer to any owner. It is tied to the device, not the service or buyer.

[quote name='draver' date='07 March 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1267980477' post='2299259']
kevcarter,

One thing I did not mention is, there is a huge resale market for iPhones on Ebay and CraigsList. My year old 3 G is currently selling in the $250-$300 range. At that price point they don't last too long either from what I've seen. Users on the T-Mobile service seem to be the ones looking for these phones. They work fine, and T-Mobile does not sell iPhones.

If you really "Need it Now" you could buy the current 3 Gs, then sell it in June if you wanted the new model. The 3 Gs should still bring good money then, and all Apple warranties transfer to any owner. It is tied to the device, not the service or buyer.
[/quote]

That never occured to me as being possible. Thank you very much for developing my new plan, best of both worlds!!!

If we ever meet, I owe you the beverage of your choice! :drinks:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

without being to contentious (or off topic) I am not referring to the pulsating blue radius, I am referring to a large shaded blue area that will appear when you are not hooked to GPS and the device is triangulating, my post was directed to volrus and his comment that the maps app has him on the wrong street all the time, if this the case you are more then likely not hooked up to the satellite, or there is something wrong with your phone.

anyway, if you have to run around in circles to get an accurate yardage then I think I will stick to using the 150 marker (and keeping my rounds under 4 hours)

I use both Golfcard and Golflogix but found I used GolfCard more. I have a question for 3GS owners (I own a 3G), does the screen orientation change with the 3GS since it has a compass?

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

Although I only use GolfShot on my 3 Gs, if I understand your question, the screen does not rotate the aerial photo due to your true location. It does however, indicate your location on screen.

I believe the programs that use an actual image download probably will not have this feature due to them not storing anything other than the basic fairway/green image. A rotation would seem to require a much larger image so as to display areas adjacent to the hole in play.

[quote name='TheOrange2002' date='11 March 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1268329751' post='2309288']
For all those using these Apps on the iPhone, does your battery last the entire round? I have used other GPS apps for other purposes (boating) and they suck the battery dry in no time ...
[/quote]

Yes. I have almost 50% left. I do the normal things like turning off wi-fi, 3g, roaming, etc...but I also hit the top button (sleep) after I determine distance and then take it out of sleep a minute before I approach my next shot or to enter my score on the hole.