2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Golf Apps for iphone

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Skinny white' date='21 February 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1266811019' post='2268332']
Golfshot is the BEST! PERIOD. 1 time fee 28,000 courses maybe more and works great.
[/quote]

Absolutely 1000%

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

[quote name='anth' date='21 February 2010 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1266811305' post='2268343']
What does it do?
[/quote]

Nearly what every GPS does. Same thing. Keeps your scorecards, statistics, etc. Its unbelievable for $30.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

[quote name='loomsey' date='21 February 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1266811938' post='2268375']
I was just checking it out and it looks pretty cool. Only thing I'd be worried about is the data usage. I'm assuming it runs on 3g so how much data does it use for say a typical round. I only get 1gb a month with my plan and I'd be scared that that would push me way over.
[/quote]

If you have the Iphone, you have an unlimited data plan. I believe it is mandatory with an Iphone. No worries about data. And Golfshot is the bomb. Had it for 6 months now and I've used it everywhere from here(Arkansas) to Palm Springs. Thing flat out works.

At the suggestion of a poster in a similar thread, I downloaded GolfCard. I used it briefly for 9 holes, and am impressed. Its a GPS, rangefinder, stats tracker and scorecard. The highlight for me is that is syncs wirelessly to the oobgolf.com website, which is where I recently began keeping my scores and stats online. Oobgolf is cool because you can track the equipment in your bag for a given round(s). I've always wanted to know which clubs I've scored the best with over the years. GolfCard is $9 in the App Store. I believe the website is [url="http://senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html"]http://senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html[/url].

I also use the Golf Rules Quick Reference app ($9). I use to carry the little notebook, but the app is easier to navigate during a round if needed.

Brian

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

[quote name='loomsey' date='21 February 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1266813255' post='2268432']
Not unlimited data for me. On my plan (with Fido in Canada) I only get 1gb a month.
[/quote]

I just logged into my account and looked at my last month's bill and I used 602mb and I use things that require data all the time without worrying so you should probably be okay.

Back the the original thread...another vote for Golfshot. Tremendous app. It'll be interesting to see the impact of smartphone on the gps market. Golfshot has most of the same features as golf GPS for literally a fraction of the price. As smartphones becomes more common, you have to think that'll soften the prices on standalone GPS's...

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I really like myIswing. One of the developers is a member here at golfwrx. It uses the phone's video camera and combines it with swing analysis software. The regular video camera's fps isn't nearly fast enough to capture a golf swing this apps software slows it down so you can see whats going on. You can also draw lines and circles on the screen. It's only a few bucks, I can't remember exactly somewhere in the $5 range. I prop my phone up on the seat of a golf cart, leaned up against a bottle of water, and use it all the time.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

[quote name='dasbill' date='22 February 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1266851782' post='2268913']
They have a V1 swing app that is really close to the full version. Give that a look. The Best 9.99 i've spent so far.
[/quote]

+1. I don't have the app, but my friend used it and sent me the video from my swing. Horrible swing...but great video!

Allright, cleaned up the thread ... keep it on topic.

And remember this GolfWRX rule:

[color="#1C2837"][b]* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.[/b][/color]
[color="#1C2837"]
[/color]
[color="#1C2837"]Carry on. :)[/color]

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

And loomsey, my suggestion is to see if you can get an unlimited data plan with an affordable price. Once you start playing around with your iPhone, you will love it, and having to constantly worry about overage charges will kill the fun!

Another very happy Golfshot user here as well, too!!

Cheers,
Kev

I have both Golfshot and GolfLogix. They seem similar in terms if accuracy but I use GolfLogix mainly because they will send people to map new courses or courses that have changed. They won't wait for new satellite pictures and have people walk the courses.

I've been waiting for Golfshot to map a few courses for months...no luck and they did not respond to my request for a refund. Live and learn. The other thing is that GolfLogix seems to be adding more new features fairly frequently. They are both good I just like the fact that GolfLogix will go out and map courses even before they open to the public, similar to Skycaddie. It's not a big deal if you tend to play the same courses that have not changed but if you like to play new challenging courses then you may have a long wait.

For you guys using Golfshot or Golflogix how is the battery life on the iPhone when playing 18 or more? When I use my iPhone Gps it does use more battery. Is there a add on battery to get more juice?

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

[quote name='jerryo' date='23 February 2010 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1266981513' post='2273144']
For you guys using Golfshot or Golflogix how is the battery life on the iPhone when playing 18 or more? When I use my iPhone Gps it does use more battery. Is there a add on battery to get more juice?
[/quote]

You definitely have to be careful. Turning off all other battery sapping settings (like 3G) helps. Even then, you sometimes have to choose between speed (by using the app function that keeps gps going but shuts screen) or life (by shutting the screen with the top button).

I stick my phone in a Mophie Juicepack Air ($79.99) so that I don't have to worry about it.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

With the power saving measures taken (turn off Wifi, 3G, Bluetooth, Notifications, etc), last Fall I was cutting it close for an 18-hole round leaving the GPS active but utilizing the screen-lock function (not the top button one). External battery pack is a good idea. I picked this one up back in November but haven't been able to play a round since then:

K33442US-18758.gif

Kensington Min-Battery Pack & Charger

http://us.kensington.com/html/15462.html

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[quote name='Ruleschamp' date='24 February 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1266999905' post='2273640']
The one guy said he uses a golf cart to prop his iPhone up to do video for the iSwing app, what do you other guys use who don't have a golf cart when you're doing video for either iSwing or V1 ?
[/quote]

I don't yet have an iPhone, but I'm getting one and have heard great things about this for attaching to your bag.

http://joby.com/gorillamobile/3g/

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The original post was which GPS is best for the iphone. Golfshot GPS. One time cost, unlimited courses. iphone has unlimited data plan, so if you have any other cr@p phone/plan, then get unlimited data or don't use it.

It works great. Better than any other handheld GPS. Only issue is battery usage. It will drain a fully charged battery by the end of the round (18 holes). I just got the mophie juicepack air ($79) and it will recharge your phone fully in about an hour. Plus it's protective. The only way to go. I've tried other add on bateries and this one is better and more functional.

If you go a long time between rounds, make sure you launch the program and choose your course before playing. There are usually updates and take a few minutes to update. Also, if you want to use the aerial view, launch this also before playing since the images have to download and if you don't have a 3G connection, this can take a while.