2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How do you hit a 56* Niblick from the sand

I already have the 42, and I love it, so I bought the 56 because of some of the posts that said it was easy to use in sand traps. I tried it out today on the range in a trap and couldn't get the ball in the air unless I played it way back in my stance. I've read others say they use a putting stance with this club in the sand, tried that, didn't even come close to the desired results. What am I doing wrong, because I really like the concept of these clubs and think that with some help, this could be a good club for me. Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 49 degree Niblick and love it for short pitch and chips around the green. Nothing longer than 20 yards. My 58 degree wedge seems to work more dependably in the sand than the Niblick. The lie angle on the Niblick is too upright and encourages a steeper swing and digging, even with the blade laid flatter. Normal straight on sand shots are possible but "splash" sand shots that pop and land soft are more difficult. Also, harder pack sand, especially with a hard base, is not a friendly to the Niblick because of the shape of the large sole and bounce. It does work dependably on a generic sand shot, ball in center, medium arc, accelerate thru the ball/sand. But, not as versatile in the sand as a regular sand wedge. I don't know if the shallower face has anything to do with it. For me, it's the lie angle, then the shape of the sole. Dunno, everyone has a different style in the sand.

[size="3"]Thanks guys for the replies. I went out to the range again today to try to figure out how to play this club in the sand, and while I tried every stance and swing pattern that I know, I could not make this club work in that situation often enough to want to use it during play. On the other side of the coin, I was able to hit this club 75 yds. and straight with no problem at all. When I wanted to hit it 50-60 yds, I just closed my stance completely, and hit that shot with accuracy every time. So, I guess I'll keep it in the bag, and continue to look for a way to use it effectively in the sand.[/size]

I find the Niblick 56* works quite well in the sand as long as you don't try and open the face as you might with a conventional wedge. The extra weight of the Niblick will move through sand much easier than a conventionally weighted sand wedge, so you don't need a big swing to achieve good results.

Granted it isn't the most versatile sand wedge since you cannot manipulate the face to an open position, and with a fairly high bounce and flat sole, it won't be as effective in hard-packed sand as a low bounce conventional wedge. (Keep in mind that NO wedge is perfectly suited to all possible sand conditions and lies you might encounter in sand)

I replaced a 54*/9* bounce Mizuno MP wedge with the Niblick 56*. The Niblick is more versatile for short pitches and finesse shots and also for those longer sand shots where I formerly used the 54* Mizuno. I still carry a conventional CG-14 60* Lob Wedge that in the past was also my primary sand wedge. I still use the 60* LW for certain situations in the sand as well as for flops and lob shots, but the Niblick gets most of the sand play now. I find it preferable for any decent lie in soft sand where the lip is not overly steep. Pretty much a cinch to get good results with a shorter almost half swing. The Niblick is less risky for such shots. (Far less worry about catching the shot too flush with a full swing explosion shot and accidently hitting over the green). When it comes to those tricky little finesse shots from the fringe or short rough to fast and sloping greens, the 56* Niblick really has no peer. It really excels when it comes to shot creativity.
:good:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Hello, I have 37* and 42* niblicks. Niblicks have certainly been a facinating addition to the golf club arena. Consequently, I think, many of us have attempted to make the niblick an "all in one" club. A full swing club for hitting balls a hundred yards or so, a pitching wedge, a chipper, and now a sand wedge. Realistically, I'm afraid some of us have unrealistic expectations of our niblicks. I don't think that a niblick was intended, by Cleveland, to ever be a sand wedge. "IT IS A CHIPPER." In my experience, we need a sand wedge, and might also want to include a niblick in our bag for better chipping accuracy.

Norm

[quote name='ngates' date='22 March 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1269294477' post='2333929']
Hello, I have 37* and 42* niblicks. Niblicks have certainly been a facinating addition to the golf club arena. Consequently, I think, many of us have attempted to make the niblick an "all in one" club. A full swing club for hitting balls a hundred yards or so, a pitching wedge, a chipper, and now a sand wedge. Realistically, I'm afraid some of us have unrealistic expectations of our niblicks. I don't think that a niblick was intended, by Cleveland, to ever be a sand wedge. "IT IS A CHIPPER." In my experience, we need a sand wedge, and might also want to include a niblick in our bag for better chipping accuracy.

Norm
[/quote]

If you look on the Niblick's hosel you will find a number or letter hinting at the club's design purpose. The 37* has a "9", suggesting it as a 9-iron replacement, the 42* has a "10" which suggest a 10-iron (PW replacement), the 49* is marked "D" for Dual purpose Wedge, and the 56* is marked "S" for Sand Wedge.

It should be clear that the 56* was indeed designed with the Sand in mind, but like other sand wedges it can be effectively used for many other types of shots too! In fact, it is the most versatile Niblick of all in my opinion. Please note the huge difference in the appearance, (shape), of a 56* Niblick compared with the 37* and 42* models. (The 49* looks different too, but not as dramatically different as the 56* from the other Niblicks). You can hit a lot of "finesse" wedge shots with the 56*. It begs you to be creative, which is why is say the 56* is the most verstile Niblick. Lot of palyers prefer higher-lofted wedges for chip shots around the green. They just move the ball way back in their stance to hit those and get more spin with them too. (2-hop and stop shots)

If you have only seen the 37* and 42* Niblicks, then you realy need to compare those to the 56* model up close. Note there is no trailing flange whatsoever on the back of the 56* model, and the sole is far wider and flatter in appearance than the sole of the other Niblicks. The bounce on the 56* is 14*, (commonly found bounce for a Sand Wedge).

The bounce on the other Niblicks are indicative of their purpose as well.

37* has just 6* bounce much like an iron - Best for low running chips on flat desert-type courses and slow greens. 9-iron distance on full shots, and good for knock downs and rescue shots where you must keep it low under trees.

42* has 8* bounce - Great for chipping and also excellent for pitching on most courses with medium to fast greens. Pitching wedge distance on full shots and much better than a conventional PW for knock down shots into the wind.

49* "Dual Wedge" has 10* bounce and is a great 50-52* Gap Wedge replacement. Very verstile for both chipping and pitching approach shots just as a Gap wedge is. Expect Expect Gap Wedge distance on full shots. Can also be effective from hard-packed sand due to the lower 10* bounce, but make sure there is not a high lip to deal with. (49* loft not the most ideal for sand play, but the extra weight of the club helps get the ball up quicker than you might expect).

I hope this post helps members position the various Niblick lofts and to realize the 56* has very little in common with the earlier 37* or 42* Niblicks contrary to shat was stated in the quoted post above. Those earlier models do have loft/bounce specs much closer to a "chipper", but of course the Niblicks are far more versatile than any "chipper" regardless of what loft you use.

Appreciate that Cleveland Golf knows something about wedge play...Cleveland has long been known for wedge expertise and still sells more wedges than any other brand. I can attest these Niblicks work as advertised assuming you have a reasonable amount of skill just as any club requires. They should improve your short game because these are easier to use and they also make the game more fun. Geting up and down more often will significantly improve scoring and hence your enjoyment of the game. I recommend you give them a try.

:yes:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

Norm

37* has just 6* bounce much like an iron - Best for low running chips on flat desert-type courses and slow greens. 9-iron distance on full shots, and good for knock downs and rescue shots where you must keep it low under trees.

42* has 8* bounce - Great for chipping and also excellent for pitching on most courses with medium to fast greens. Pitching wedge distance on full shots and much better than a conventional PW for knock down shots into the wind.

49* "Dual Wedge" has 10* bounce and is a great 50-52* Gap Wedge replacement. Very verstile for both chipping and pitching approach shots just as a Gap wedge is. Expect Expect Gap Wedge distance on full shots. Can also be effective from hard-packed sand due to the lower 10* bounce, but make sure there is not a high lip to deal with. (49* loft not the most ideal for sand play, but the extra weight of the club helps get the ball up quicker than you might expect).

yes.gif

Thanks for that summary of the different degrees. I too, am in the market for a niblick mainly for my short game. I want to use it primarily for 30 yards to fringe. I'm not sure which degree to get 42* or 49*? I know the 42* will "run" more, but wouldn't the 49* be more versatile? Not concerned about sand. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the thread jack.

Norm

yes.gif

Thanks for that summary of the different degrees. I too, am in the market for a niblick mainly for my short game. I want to use it primarily for 30 yards to fringe. I'm not sure which degree to get 42* or 49*? I know the 42* will "run" more, but wouldn't the 49* be more versatile? Not concerned about sand. Any suggestions?

Yes, in my opinion the 49* is more versatile than the 42*. Since you are not concerned about the sand capability, make the 49* your first Niblick.

:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Norm

yes.gif

Yes, in my opinion the 49* is more versatile than the 42*. Since you are not concerned about the sand capability, make the 49* your first Niblick.

:rolleyes:

+1 here - I have a 42* Niblick, which is great, but sometimes a bit too hot around the greens. 49 would be very versatile. But both are money from 50 yds in! Great pitch shots!!!

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2