TaylorMadeGolfer21's First WITB! Come Take a look!

Taylormade, Ju Ju Headcovers, Oban, Odyssey #9 buttonback, and more!
Hey guys, so i finally assembled my bag for the 2010 season, and hopefully for a long time. Keep in mind i purchased some of these things over the New England fall and winter, so i haven't gotten a chance to play yet this season. So if i can't answer some questions right away about how some things play, i should be able to in the next couple weeks as i get out to play more and more.

So here is the backstory...I have been playing since i was about 12 or 13 (22 now), but i gave the game up after high school to focus on college school work and figured i would pick the game back up later. In my senior year of college a few friends asked me to play in a tournament, and i dusted off my game and fell back in love, and found i was still pretty good! At my peak, I used to play to about a 4, since i got back into it i am probably playing to about an 8, but hopefully dropping during this season as i still get rid of some of the rust! Now, i have an entire new set of clubs and I am almost finished with Graduate School, so hopefully i will be able to play more often! Sorry about the horrible pictures, but i only have my cell to take them with and it's raining outside, but crappy pictures are better than none at all!

I should also mention that i am irish, not off the boat...but my family tree all leads back to Ireland. So I am very proud of that, and therefore have many green, and irish themes in my bag!

The weapons:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Superquad. 10.5* Oban Revenge 05 (x) Flex 65 grams.

3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 All Black Tour TP. 15* Oban Revenge 05 (x) Flex 75 grams. Only tour club in the bag! Never had a tour club before, but this came up and it seemed to be a nice match to my Superquad.

Irons: 2005 TaylorMade TP Cavity Backs. X100 Shafts. 2-PW. Removed all paintfill for clean look.

Wedges: 56* & 60* TaylorMade TP-Z. Removed all paintfill for clean look.

Putter: Odyssey XG #9. Green Gripmaster Cabretta Leather Grip. Green, White and Orange paintfill. This is a Deerslayer piece, and I am so lucky to have it. He is a great guy, and does fantastic work! It has a torched finish with an aluminum insert and custom buttonbacks. 34" and 350 gram headweight I was told. The insert is incredibly soft, while still maintaining a good feel (not mushy) which is exactly what i was looking for!

Grips: Everything is wrapped with Green Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compounds (well except the putter).

Headcovers: Ju Ju Pom Pom covers, green white and orange theme. Fantastic to work with, awesome product, can't say enough about the quality and overall customer satisfaction! These are great! Also, my putter cover is a GolfWRX.com leprechaun headcover designed in 2007, but drop shipped to me this year!

Bag: Green Sun Mountain Four-5

Shoes: Footjoy MyJoys. Green and Black, with embroidered shamrocks. I have had these for 3 years, getting a little dirty, but still in great shape!

Glove: Green Pow Townie Glove

Towel and Brush: Frogger golf pro, what can i say, i am a sucker for gimmicks, and i like to try fun stuff i see on TV! These were actually Christmas presents.

Ball: I am becoming a fan of the Bridgestone e7, but i usually don't play anything particular.

This bag will be lasting me for awhile since i am now on a pretty tight budget (saving for a wedding), so i am wicked happy that it is finally complete! Thanks for stopping in, enjoy the pictures and if there are any questions let me know!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How you liking the Revenge shafts?

Nice set up by the way, thought you might be playing a Taylormade ball

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

[quote name='craz-e' date='29 March 2010 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1269881480' post='2348132']
How you liking the Revenge shafts?

Nice set up by the way, thought you might be playing a Taylormade ball
[/quote]

Haven't gotten a chance to play the shafts yet, however i should be able to let you know by the end of the week pending we get some sun! However, they were exactly what i was looking for on paper, so they should fit my game well. A lot of the courses around me have obstacles off the tee that you could go over to score a couple of extra yards (usually trees on the doglegs) so a big part of my game is going high. However, since the driver is already a 10.5*, i wanted something with a more mid-launch and mid-spin so i wouldn't get too much hight on the straight away holes, but still retained some for those instances. Which brings me to why i selected the ball, it also has a more penetrating flight which takes away from the 10.5* a little bit and adds some roll toward the end which i enjoy getting. I haven't had the pleasure of trying the TP blacks, reds, or Penta, but i am sure i will get around to it this season. But as i said strict budget so i have to go for bang on the buck for the next year and a half...haha...thanks for the comments!

[quote name='elchene' date='29 March 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1269881593' post='2348137']
SICK SETUP!!!!!! That 3 wood is awesome and the putter looks terrific.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for your comments, I appreciate it! I can thank a lot of the users on WRX for this setup as i got most of it on the BST! Thanks for stopping in!

Lovely set up - solid pair of woods/shafts, and some of my favorite irons of all time. I'm personally also a big fan of the #9 style putter.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Thanks puppetmaster! It's good to hear from you, thanks for stopping in! I am a big fan of the irons too, i got a few rounds in with them before the weather got too bad, however i haven't gotten a chance to swing the 3 wood set up at all, nor have i gotten to try the superquad with the oban in it. However, it was good with the stock shaft, so i can only imagine!...

Where did you get the putter done like that? Sick bag love the irons

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Thanks for the comments ecsugolf! I love the irons as well, great soft feel! As for the putter, there is a member on here named Deerslayer, he made this putter for another member who i then purchased it off when he listed it for sale in the BST. After talking with Deerslayer, I have been told that he no longer makes these putters as a hobby like he used to, and only does fun work for his son and his friends. He also used to sell the inserts, but no longer does that either, so i guess they really aren't being made. It is a very original piece, and i love the feel and look, i was very lucky to get my hands on it! If you do a search for his name, you can see some of his other amazing work! Thanks again for the comments!

Thanks slicer! It is a very nice putter indeed, i am a big fan of the mid-mallets, so the combination with the perfect feel of the aluminum insert is perfect for me! I made the switch to an anser style scotty for awhile, after using a mallet for the longest time but it just wasn't the same...so i ended up picking this up and trying a mid mallet style head instead, and i don't think i'll ever change styles again...it just seems way easier to aim for me...more confidence = better putting i guess. I added another picture of the putter to the end so you could really see the buttons and how well it is crafted. Thanks again for the comments!

[quote name='w8liftr' date='29 March 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1269900129' post='2348849']
Nice setup. I've been thinking of trying an Oban Revenge, too.
[/quote]

They look awesome on paper, and i have read great reviews on them so far, so i am sure they will be great! We will see if they fit my game, i'll probably get back to you later on in the week on how they play!

[quote name='Señor Rafa' date='29 March 2010 - 10:27 PM' timestamp='1269916029' post='2349128']
Great no nonsense setup... I really like it, especially the putter which looks great after the custom job. The headcovers look very nice too.
[/quote]

Thank you very much! I like the idea of no nonsense, I love TM products, and i have no problem with their turnaround rate, if you can improve on something who cares how fast it takes to put it out, the sooner the better in my opinion! I tried to compile what i thought were some of their best offerings that fit my game no matter how old they were, hence the irons from 05, and superquad from a couple of years back. Thanks for the comments on the putter, i am glad everybody likes it...deerslayer really did a phenomenal job on it! The headcovers are great quality, i would recommend Ju Ju's covers to anybody, second to none!

[quote name='afbrad1113' date='29 March 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1269916536' post='2349155']
Great looking setup, love the Irish theme. Slainte! (Im pretty sure thats Celtic for Cheers ha)
[/quote]

Hahaha yes! slainte is used for toasting in ireland, and does mean cheers, but i believe is literally translated to health such as...to your health! Thank you for the best wishes in gaelic and for the comments on the set up! I really appreciate it!

[quote name='macglock' date='29 March 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1269917724' post='2349216']
Awesome setup, love the headcovers I have a set as well...not as colorful though
[/quote]

Thank you! Aren't the Ju Ju headcovers awesome? I asked her for a custom pattern that i hadn't seen her do before, and she responded immediately that it wouldn't be a problem and got them out very quickly! The quality is amazing, and the fact that she could do an irish flag theme up and down was really great!

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolfer21' date='29 March 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1269884634' post='2348246']
Thanks puppetmaster! It's good to hear from you, thanks for stopping in! I am a big fan of the irons too, i got a few rounds in with them before the weather got too bad, however i haven't gotten a chance to swing the 3 wood set up at all, nor have i gotten to try the superquad with the oban in it. However, it was good with the stock shaft, so i can only imagine!...
[/quote]

Any pictures of the irons at address? I remember the toplines being relatively thin, but forget the shape, toe, etc.

Definitely post feedback of the Obans as well once you've gotten a chance to hit them.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' date='30 March 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1269950053' post='2349727']
Any pictures of the irons at address? I remember the toplines being relatively thin, but forget the shape, toe, etc.

Definitely post feedback of the Obans as well once you've gotten a chance to hit them.

[/quote]

Hey, i added some pictures to the original post of the irons at address, hopefully this will give a good idea of what they look like! They are in this order: 2, 5, 7, P and then I added a picture of my butter knife by itself, so the single iron is the 2 iron at address, one of my favorite clubs! I will be sure to post about the obans later on in the week!

[quote name='dbgonzal' date='30 March 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1269980893' post='2350763']
Great set up,love your clubs... one question. How did you refinish your R7 TP in all black?
[/quote]

Thank you very much, i appreciate it! The R7 TP isn't refinished, it is actually a tour club that came in the black finish. I'm not sure how many of these were made, maybe somebody else can chime in on that. But i haven't seen too many of them around...i just happen to see it on the BST one day, and picked it up from another member here! Thanks for the comments!

:o dude that set up is incredible. Totally awesome!

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='shorrrno' date='30 March 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1269996315' post='2351290']
:o dude that set up is incredible. Totally awesome!
[/quote]

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

So anyway, guys I wanted to give you an update and the promised review on the obans. I got to play a couple of rounds with the sticks and the oban's are fantastic! Start's out at a mid ball flight and heads slightly upward to a higher flight as it goes. Then, there is still some roll left at the end, so exactly as described on paper...mid-high ball flight, mid-spin! Exactly what I was looking for, very smooth, very nice to swing, ridiculously awesome shafts! Ball flight before was much higher and often ballooned with the stock shaft, it's more penetrating now and allows for a bit of roll out at the end. I also wanted to say the 3 wood is an absolute rocket launcher (this was the first time i had gotten to play with it)! It is a monster both off the tee and the deck, i love the small compact head and shallow face. I am loving my new set up, but these shafts are really incredible, if anybody is looking into them don't hesitate. The putter is fantastic feeling too, i have been dying to try it...and only got to roll a few on the carpet, but it performs much better on the course. I think the #9 style is much better suited for me than an anser style. I have a feeling these sticks will be in the bag for awhile! Thanks again to everybody for stopping in and leaving nice comments!

I have always liked heel shafted putters but never picked one up. Am seriously considering a White Ice/White Hot Tour #9 as my next buy. That button back is dreamy

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review of the Obans and the address pictures. That makes me want to pick up a set of those CBS off eBay now... :)

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='shorrrno' date='06 April 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1270598685' post='2364566']
I have always liked heel shafted putters but never picked one up. Am seriously considering a White Ice/White Hot Tour #9 as my next buy. That button back is dreamy
[/quote]

Haha, thank you...I do highly recommend any #9 style if they fit your eye...i just feel more confident with it for some reason!

[quote name='Puppetmaster' date='15 April 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1271336943' post='2380914']
Thanks for the review of the Obans and the address pictures. That makes me want to pick up a set of those CBS off eBay now... :)
[/quote]

haha no problem man, and i saw that you won one of the WRX promotions, a phil prototype putter? Congratulations dude, that is awesome news! Since you promised to putt lefty for at least a couple of rounds, you'll have to let us know how it rolls! The CBs are just awesome, the look of the thin topline and little offset at address is confidence inspiring! Off to the bay for you now! Go get some! haha...

[quote name='walterjay25' date='15 April 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1271346055' post='2381191']
Love the GREEN!!!
[/quote]

Thanks man, i do too! It's just this weird thing that i do...everything has to be green haaha...thanks for stopping by!

[quote name='beaglegolf78' date='15 April 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1271353290' post='2381428']
WHERE DID U GET THE PUTTER HEADCOVER
[/quote]

[quote name='GoVols817' date='15 April 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1271360313' post='2381673']
[quote name='beaglegolf78' date='15 April 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1271353290' post='2381428']
WHERE DID U GET THE PUTTER HEADCOVER
[/quote]

I would like to know the same thing. I would be very interested in copping one of those.
[/quote]

Hey guys! I got the putter cover off here...if you PM GXgolfer, he will be able to help you out! He was a big help, and he has them made and drop shipped to you. You can still customize all of the options, color, stitching etc. Mine also has my last name embroidered on the other side...very quality golf cover! Ryan should be able to help you out with that no problem though.

[quote name='walterjay25' date='16 April 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1271426782' post='2383044']
I didn't think the Oban Revenge came in a FW model. Did you just cut it down? If so, what length did you cut it to and did it affect playability at all. Absolutely love the setup. Very strong work from one Irishman to another!!!
[/quote]

To answer your question, yes...the shaft is cut down to get it to fairway size. It is cut down to 41.75" (i believe if memory serves correctly) but it is standard length. I bought it off a member here who already had it installed in a 3 wood, so he was the one to cut it down. I couldn't really say how much different it plays, but comparing it to my driver, i guess it has a little lower of a ball flight. It works really well for me, just like the driver, so i wouldn't say it effects playability at all! Thank you for the words about the nice, strong set up! I appreciate it, thanks for stopping in!

• 6 months later...

winding down to the end of the season updates: my putter choice is under construction right now. I am tinkering with the Miura KM-350 which is one of the softest feeling non-insert putters I have ever used. I also really like the small compact head, it just seems to frame the ball very well. But, I am still searching around, and haven't made a firm decision on a flatstick. Thinking about trying out new head styles and makes.

ALSO! one of my best, and most proud updates, is not to my WITB, but rather to my fiancees WITB! I have finally convinced her to try the game, and she seemed to really take a liking to it! After a handful of rounds with some dunlop hand me downs from her cousin, she decided she wanted a set of her own! We set her up with the Adams IDEA Keri Sport A7OS 14pc. set. Figures her first set is nice than mine rolleyes.gif, i think she would fit in quite well here! Now that she is playing, I am playing more than ever, as she wants to go out every weekend! I wish i had done this years ago! Her game is really progressing, and she is sticking with it...even talking about the possibility of golf on our honeymoon this summer! FANTASTIC!

3064-DEFAULT-XL.jpg

That is all for now! I will be sure to post an update and pictures when i make a firm putter decision! Thanks for stopping in!

haha, great setup! The irons look fantastic, like they were pure blades!clapping.gif

And just so we're clear...in ireland most of us would say 'cheers' when toasting...'slainte' is what they used a hundred years ago when most people spoke Irish. 'Slainte' in its direct translation means just health but is intended as 'to your health.'rolleyes.gif