2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Get me out of my bag!!!

Yeah, pissing the wife off isn't the way to do it... OMG, I can totally see this happening:

Get the new bag... Confront her... Divorce... Divorce Court... She gets everything... Including your new stand bag... She sells it for $.99 on ebay... You are the winning bidder... Get the bag back... You leave her a negative feedback... Awesome!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion: Play it straight. This will preclude problems down the road.

Tell her you liked the bag at first, but it just isn't everything you need it to be. Tell her it was very thoughtful of her etc.

Then you could do one of a couple of things. Sell it locally, or on Ebay, and tell her the proceeds will go toward a nice dinner with dance or a show type of date. If you can, possibly up it to a weekend stay somewhere.

Or, donate it to your local high school golf team. Most teams are just really getting started. Tell the coach to give it to a promising kid who maybe doesn't have a nice bag. That way it's good for the community etc.

I just did this with an almost new driver I had at home. Hated the thing.

I would do the following, let the bag issue die down for a month or two and keep using your current model. For the next few weeks get an envelope and start putting excess cash that you have in your pocket at work. Keep building the envelope up for a 1-2 months. The next time you play in a scramble or some kind of tournament, claim that you won a new bag as part of a raffle, when in reality you saved up cash and then went out an bought one yourself.

Well gentlemen.... my husband thought I would get a good laugh out of your posts... and I did.... seriously... just go buy the bag... she will be mad for a day or two and then get over it..(but do buy her the purse... that was a great idea).... if I got mad every time my husband or son bought a new club, bag, fishing pole, ice auger, gun, bow, arrows.... I would never talk to them.... plus I let him buy what he wants and he lets me travel all I want.... its a good thing.... good luck

Mrs. D.:rolleyes:

Unbelievable. Come on this is a cheap Target/Callaway bag that cost <$100, right? Man up, just tell here you want a new bag. How may pairs of shoes does she have...purses, belts, etc. If you must come us with some lame excuse, just tell her you want to start walking more often and thus need a stand bag. You know, want to get in better shape, live longer, etc.

I did "man up", and then she wifed up and laid down the law.

That is easily one of the best lines every.. Hilarious... but oh so true...russian_roulette.gif

I think you should go all "Office Space" on it. Take it out to a field, beat the ever-loving crap out of the thing with a baseball bat or blunt object of choice. Bring it home and claim it was damaged by the teenagers that work at some local goat path.

BTW Smith5606 I love the "groove rule" change, got me a whole new setup over the winter. The wife never even batted an eye when I whipped out the rule book and showed her that I couldn't play with my now "illegal" clubs.

Cram it with walnuts!

Great. Not only are you in trouble with your CEO, the rest of us are too. Somehow, this violates a man-rule of some sort - getting your buddies to disclose our best "new equipment" ploys just to make you look better by comparison.

Doesn't this come under the 5th Amendment's self incrimination protection? I think we all need a lawyer.

[quote name='smith5606' date='01 April 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1270152951' post='2355422']
Great. Not only are you in trouble with your CEO, the rest of us are too. Somehow, this violates a man-rule of some sort - getting your buddies to disclose our best "new equipment" ploys just to make you look better by comparison.

Doesn't this come under the 5th Amendment's self incrimination protection? I think we all need a lawyer.
[/quote]

This is the best idea yet! All I have to do is show her how devious other husbands can be and she'll end up with a greater appreciation of me! I might get a blank check after this.

Of course, if someone could send me a nice stand bag [i]gratis[/i], that idea might go away permanently...

If you come up with a good enough sob story about a kid in need your problem is solved. You actually have to go out and find someone though. Show up at one of the first tee sessions and ask an instructor there. I'm sure some kid will really, really, need a bag. Hell, have her go with you to drop it off for the kid. She won't be able to say no once she sees how happy they are. You can always use the line about how much it would mean if each person does something like that for a kid in need. How much of a difference that will make, and that kid will grow up and do the same for others. Of course you would need to donate that bag now though. You wouldn't want to give them some old worn out piece of junk like your old Ping bag. You would even be willing to "rough it" with the old bag until you get a chance to aquire a new one.

[quote name='StixItClose' date='02 April 2010 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1270167603' post='2355827']
[quote name='smith5606' date='01 April 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1270152951' post='2355422']

[/quote]

This is the best idea yet! All I have to do is show her how devious other husbands can be and she'll end up with a greater appreciation of me! I might get a blank check after this.

Of course, if someone could send me a nice stand bag [i]gratis[/i], that idea might go away permanently...
[/quote]

This a filthy breech of man rules.......

This has me laughing too hard. Ninja ninja.gif

I have bought my boyfriend several different golf items for gifts. We all like to upgrade our equipment; clubs, bag, shoes, gps, gloves...you name it. I'm never upset when he decides it's time for an upgrade and my last gift goes in the closet or out on Ebay.

If it's not what really works for you, and your wife has an issue because of the financial aspect, you should sell it and then buy a new one. Then you can say, "Honey, thank you for this amazing bag. The first one was great, but this one that you got for me is even better!"

If you come home with your new gift damaged she will think it was intentional. You've already told her you don't like it. I assume she is intelligent enough to put 2 and 2 together. I bet she won't be getting you nice golf gifts again soon... It would be back to Christmas/Birthday sweaters for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I bet you have to get permission to go golfing as well? Remember the saying "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission"! Your first mistake was "asking" to buy another bag. You should have bought another then explained what was wrong with the old one. The only thing you can do now is save up your lunch money to buy another. I'd ask for an increase in allowance as well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='j0npeterson' date='31 March 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1270100583' post='2354459']
Just tell her you donated it to the first tee or to some needy kid who was piecing together some gear.

...then get a Four 5 or Titleist 14-way. Ask for forgiveness rather than for permission. Just do it.
[/quote]

I can get you a tax write off if you send it to az haha!

[quote name='Sweet Baby J' date='01 April 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1270111351' post='2354544']
Yeah, pissing the wife off isn't the way to do it... OMG, I can totally see this happening:

Get the new bag... Confront her... Divorce... Divorce Court... She gets everything... Including your new stand bag... She sells it for $.99 on ebay... You are the winning bidder... Get the bag back... You leave her a negative feedback... Awesome!
[/quote]

HAHAHA thats classic

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Sweet Baby J' date='01 April 2010 - 04:42 AM' timestamp='1270111351' post='2354544']

[/quote]

Laughed so hard it hurt. :cheesy::cheesy:

This has me laughing too hard. Ninja ninja.gif

I have bought my boyfriend several different golf items for gifts. We all like to upgrade our equipment; clubs, bag, shoes, gps, gloves...you name it. I'm never upset when he decides it's time for an upgrade and my last gift goes in the closet or out on Ebay.

If it's not what really works for you, and your wife has an issue because of the financial aspect, you should sell it and then buy a new one. Then you can say, "Honey, thank you for this amazing bag. The first one was great, but this one that you got for me is even better!"

If you come home with your new gift damaged she will think it was intentional. You've already told her you don't like it. I assume she is intelligent enough to put 2 and 2 together. I bet she won't be getting you nice golf gifts again soon... It would be back to Christmas/Birthday sweaters for you.

Lady Mae knows all. From experience, you're already done.

Enjoy that bag, it's yours for a long time now.

• 3 months later...

Guys - you're all going about it the wrong way. You have to learn the proper female shopping logic.

Step 1: Go buy a new pair of shoes - any pair will do (If you're like my wife, you can later stick them in a closet and never use them).
Step 2: Go buy the bag you want. If your spouse says anything, you whine about how your old bag just didn't match your new shoes and it therefore had to go. - Case closed.

The real problem is you only have 1 bag (wife bought) to replace an old bag......I have about 6 bags and the wife never knows which one i use all the time......I for carts/tournaments....2 bags for all my extra clubs etc.

Maybe you could just replace the old bag? and use her for "Special Rounds" so you're not really getting rid of it!

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Hilarious thread. When I decided I wanted a Sky Caddie back when they were really high, I just purchased one online right before my birthday, when the package came I handed it to my wife and told her "say happy birthday", she said happy birthday and I said "thanks, just what I wanted" and took the package and walked away. She sucks at picking out presents so she was happy to play along and be off the hook.

here are a few suggestions

"Jimmy has the same bag, I need a new one .. we look a little light in the loafers together at the turn"
"Tee holders on the outside of a bag are very yesterday and I use LARGE tees if you know what I mean"
"Callaway sponsors Phil and I am not a lefty"

Seriously, tell her if you got her shoes or a dress that was not what she wanted, she'd return it and you would not be offended. Nurse brandy and pull on cigar (whilst wearing smoking jacket and ascot)

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max