2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

I am a fair seller but was I in the wrong?

Leftygolfin

Happy and then unhappy-- What should I do??
I just sold a Nike SQ Tour with a real Diamana Blueboard 83 G4 X flex shaft. I received the club on a trade for a set of clubs. I didn't know much about it but sold it on ebay.

Well the guy who purchased it received it and left positive feedback.

A few days later this guy starts emailing me about the paint comming off when he hit it. The club already had a scuffs on it that was very much disclosed in the auction. Now the guy is mad.

He also emailed me and said that the shaft was not actually the standard length and that the shaft had been cut down but had an extension on it to make it length. This guys is now trying to tell me that he wants me to not only pay him $100 to repaint the head but also wants me to buy him a new shaft for the club for about $175. He siad he pulled the shaft and put a different one in it and is having the head repaints.

So he trying to get me to basically pay him $275 and I don't think it is my resonsibility at all. He sent me probably 20 emails before the auction and I answered them all truthfully to the best of my knowledge.

What do you guys think? For one, I can't remove grips on every club to see if they have been extended and two, I can't be resonsible for some jackass knocking the paint off of a club. Know he is doing his own thing with repainting and reshafting. I have a perfect %100 feedback and always try my best to be a fair seller. He left positive feedback when he got it and was happy. Can he do anything negative towards me on ebay or thru Paypal? Thanks for any info.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a tough situation.

Two things are possible in this situation. One, he's telling the truth and you've resold a club that at first glance looked normal. Or two, he's lying (he created the chipped paint and lied about teh extension) and wants some kind of compensation.

Honestly, I wouldn't know what I would do in that situation. I think, if I had to say anything, the guy has every right to be mad.

That is BS...

Foul Foul on the buyer. Did you have good pics on ebay for you sell?

He asked questions prior to buying.

Ok it very simple... tell him to try that crap on someone else

You can't take the shaft out then complain... all you had to do is pay him to for shipping to return the club and give him his money back.

But since he has altered the club... tuff

Some people... I can't believe it.

I would have accepted a return up until the point he altered the club by pulling the shaft. I can understand somebody regripping a club a few days after receipt and being disappointed about seeing an extension on an expensive shaft which brings quality and reliablity issues into the equation (is it a pull?, how many times?, tip damaged?, etc....) I would have given the buyer the "benefit of the doubt" since I didn't do my homework and check the club or know its history. The buyer should have requested a refund at that point or at minium contacted you asking for a suggestion to make the situation correct. FWIW, it only costs about $55 to have a wood refinished at a top notch place like Quality Golf.

Please, post the auction number so we can see the description and pictures. The description matters if a complaint is filed with paypal. Three little words "SOLD AS IS" are good enougth to stop PayPal from trying to take the money from your account.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

The first red flag is that the guy emailed you many times before the auction. To me, that is the sign of a very fussy buyer. IME, people like that are very very difficult to satisfy. Every time I sell something to someone he asks me lots and lots of questions, I hold my breath when the club ships.

As for what to do in your instance, I think I would have asked from pics about the chipping, and if it was indeed happened, then unwound the deal. As soon as the buyer started dismanteling the club, that would have ended any actions to compensate or satisfy the buyer.

Shaft extension should not be effecting the playbillity. The bend point isn't on the grip, but it does lower the price of the shaft on resale.

I would contact the person that you originally traded with and ask to find out if the club was repainted and Shaft extension was installed.

If it's true, then I would compromise and pay part of the money. $275 is way too much.

When selling something used, it is typically sold "as is." IMO, if you accurately described the club and answered all of his questions honesty, then you did your job. I've bought two used clubs recently at a local golf shop, both of which had shaft extensions. I wasn't too pleased to find them, but that's the rub of the green sometimes when you buy a used club.

I described the club pretty well and stated it did have a scuff in the paint that wasn't the prettiest. Also advised that I did not know if the shaft was factory installed or not. I think Im not going to worry about it top much and consider it a lesson learned. I will also be talking to the guy that traded it to me and reconsider taking anymore equipment from him. I just hate to make anyone upset. The guy never asked me if he could return it but just went into making demands for partial refunds after altering. Oh well. Thanks for the opinion guys.

If you answered that you were unsure about if the shaft was a pull, had an extension, etc., then you haven't done anything wrong.

I bet you the guy can't hit the club. Perhaps he thought he had a swing speed from 'another' message board. It's not your responsibility to pay for the fact he can't hit it.

Did he send you pics?

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Tell him to put the club back exactly as it was (he can't) for a full refund less shipping. Perhaps he has a case about what was sold to him (you haven't posted the pictures here or the auction number) so none of us can say for sure. IMHO he blew any chance he had of getting the right result by altering it (I wouldn't touch it with the tip of my umbrella now) - that to me says that he is not quite with it. I wouldn't have the b@lls to change something and then ask for a refund...try cutting your Levis down and taking them back to the store...errrrrrr....I don't think so...

If you answered that you were unsure about if the shaft was a pull, had an extension, etc., then you haven't done anything wrong.

I bet you the guy can't hit the club. Perhaps he thought he had a swing speed from 'another' message board. It's not your responsibility to pay for the fact he can't hit it.

Did he send you pics?

I think this assessment is very accurate. The buyer purchased an X flex shaft, can't hit it, and now wants you to pay for a completely different shaft that he thinks he can hit. That's BS in my book.

With regard to the shaft extension, it shouldn't affect play if done properly.

I noticed in the auction that the head does not have a serial number. Perhaps it is tour issued and he can sell it on "that other message board" for twice what he paid you!!!! :crazy:

You say it is standard length. Did you measure it? If you did and it was, there is no way you are obliged to look under the grip to see how the length is achieved. If it is the chip mark on the crown that you described and that is peeling/whatever, tough. If it isn't that, still tough - how are you supposed to know he didn't scratch it? He shouldn't have started messing around so tell him to get lost on all counts. If he had sent it back complete with the grip removed he would have had a case (and with NO extra chips/scuffs on the head), then he might have had a point. How do you know that he did not have a shaft of his own laying around that had an extension and is trying it on by sending that back to you and telling you that it was yours? I would tell him to go away, too much has gone on. I really do not trust this guys motives, I always detest a ton of emails on auctions from the same person on ebay. If they are that fussy, buy new.

At the end of the day it is ebay, let the buyer beware. I would refund nothing and not even bother replying to his emails. The only issue is whether you described it as standard length incorrectly - but as he has messed around with it I would not take it back, period. I would as a gesture of my goodwill refund postage but that is as far as I would go. He is trying it on so don't feel bad. ebay just goes to prove that not all the lunatics are locked up yet imho.

Make sure you transfer all the money from your paypal account to your bank account ASAP in case it gets nasty :crazy:

Thanks for the opinions guys. Im not sure why it didn't have a serial number. Didn't really know anything about it. Oh, and yes, I did measure it and it was standard length(45"). I think Ive learned a couple of things on this deal. Another thing that I didn't mention was that the guy was from Canada and wanted it in two days. My auction said USA only but he bid anyway and I charged him $30.00 to ship when in turn it cost me $50 to 2 day mail it. I bent over backwards for this guy and now he is trying to get more. He first told me that he took it out to the range and hit it an loved it. Then he told me that some paint came of and he wanted me to pay for him to repaint and then wanted a nerw shaft. Paint doesn't "come off" with center strikes and that not my problem but I always try my best to be fair. Thanks again guys.

He first told me that he took it out to the range and hit it an loved it.

Then he went to the course and proceeded to hack his brains out and of course thats your fault right?

You did fine Lefty, and your still doing fine. I ALWAYS read the feedback when buying on ebay and as long as your positives far outweigh the negatives you will be okay. Make sure you reply to his negative feedback so future potential buyers have a better idea of what really happened.

Unfortunately there are tools out there that think the world owes them everything, and 99.9% of them are on ebay.

Let him eat it. If he will not send pics, and is requesting that you replace the shaft with something different, then it is obvious to me that he is trying to squeeze something free out of the deal. You were honest in your description and did everything you were supposed to do. At this point, simply tell him that unless he provides proof of his claims, you will not assist any further. I would not refund the money or accept the club back in return because it has been altered since purchase. This buyer is a jerk, and for all of us who sell on Ebay regularly, perhaps you should let us know who he is so we can watch out for him. I would not accept a bid from a buyer that I knew was this fussy.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

carry on soldier. You made very clear with pictures and words that the paint chipped---and every golfer knows that once a club chips a little, any more mishits will worsen the chip. as to the shaft extension: you made no representation as to whether the extension was added or not---and frankly, if its done with reasonable competence makes no difference with regards to the club performance. to use somewhat legal language: unless you expressly warranted that the club would come without an extension, your tender of that club was "perfect." and you thereby discharged your duty to him under the contract. case closed.

you are 100% in the clear and anything you do for him at this point is a total donation on your part.