What TX city to live in for the next 13 weeks?

d373rm1ned

Hello,

I'm employed as a traveling physical therapist and plan to do my next 13 week assignment in the state of Texas. I am just not sure where yet. Little information about myself..

25 y/o single male

love the outdoors (golfing, swimming, running)

enjoy the nightlife

like the bigger city atmosphere due to all the nightlife

don't mind the humidity

love to GOLF - must have a decent selection of courses

will be in TX during the hottest months (July-September)

Just looking for some words of wisdom from you guys. According to the info I posted, which cities should I look into spending the next 3 months? And please, be as specific as possible when naming places (if it's in the Dallas metro, please state where exactly). Was originally thinking Austin but open to any other considerations. The company I work for provides all the housing needs so all I need to do is tell them places I am interested in going and they find the jobs available. Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest either Austin or the M-Streets area of Dallas (just north of downtown). Austin has 6th Street and the M-Streets has Lower Greenville. Both are great nightlife areas. Outdoor activity options are better in Austin. But, from the M-Streets you can easily take runs around White Rock Lake. I lived in the M-Streets for many years and still go back quite often. Another area of Dallas to consider is the Know-Henderson/Uptown area. It's just a bit South of the M-Streets across hwy-75. My favorite restaurant in Dallas is on Lower Greenville, but the sheer number of great restaurants in the Knox-Henderson area is very impressive. Nightlife is that area is great as well. Good luck with your search.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I would throw in the Greater Houston area as well. If you dont mind humidity Houston should be fine. I grew up 40 miles south of Houston but played alot of junior tourneys in Houston. There are a plethora of courses to choose from, and a great place to live is the River Oaks area near downtown...you are only a short drive or decent walk to Minute Maid Park, tons of nightlife in the downtown area, Richmond St/Galleria area isnt too far away and you are super close to Memorial Park GC which is a fantastic muni course. Austin is also a great choice for a young proffesional as it is a very fun place to be, however there arent near as many golf options, and the cost of living is a step higher than DFW or Houston. You really cant go wrong with any of the large Texas cities...even San Antonio is a fun place to be and has interesting and fun nightlife...not to mention SA is only an hour from Austin and 30 minutes to New Braunsfels/San Marcos area to float the river or go out there. I hope that helps and wasnt just a rambling on about nothing!!

I would recommend Austin. Great golf courses, Town Lake is a great area to run, food is awesome, and the night life is great. It is not too big and they have a Whole Foods. The beer selection is second to none. I highly recommend you try "Fireman". The best beer I have ever had. Too bad I can't get it in OKC.

I live in Houston.

You're 25, single ..... Austin without question.

Great music, concentrated nightlife area, local "play" lakes, summer school girls, great golf all around ... c'mon. th_bananadancesmiley-1.gif

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='OpusX20' date='22 May 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1274585091' post='2461118']
I would suggest either Austin or the M-Streets area of Dallas (just north of downtown). Austin has 6th Street and the M-Streets has Lower Greenville. Both are great nightlife areas. Outdoor activity options are better in Austin. But, from the M-Streets you can easily take runs around White Rock Lake. I lived in the M-Streets for many years and still go back quite often. Another area of Dallas to consider is the Know-Henderson/Uptown area. It's just a bit South of the M-Streets across hwy-75. My favorite restaurant in Dallas is on Lower Greenville, but the sheer number of great restaurants in the Knox-Henderson area is very impressive. Nightlife is that area is great as well. Good luck with your search.
[/quote]

I'd say this is spot on. I'd probably pick Austin as my first choice, but Dallas wouldn't be bad and if you did pick Dallas I'd say Uptown or M-streets would be the best choice for a short stay. Recently moved from the m-streets and I miss it quite a bit. Lots going on, only negative is that it's a bit of a drive to decent golf, but the highways are close so it's not too bad.

And Houston would be pretty far down my list. Lived there before Dallas and didn't really think it was that great.

Ah, to be 25 and single and my choice of cities to work in. Austin for sure, great nightlife, lots of music and very accessible golf courses. You've got 3-4 munis within 20 mins of each other, one very close to downtown (Lions). High end courses, Avery Ranch, Wolfdancer, Barton Creek are very accessible.

Area to live, definitely downtown or Tarrytown. Stay away from the campus area for housing or from the east side of town. Southwest would also be another area to look into.

Good luck.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

[quote name='d373rm1ned' date='22 May 2010 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1274583725' post='2461052']
Hello,

I'm employed as a traveling physical therapist and plan to do my next 13 week assignment in the state of Texas. I am just not sure where yet. Little information about myself..

25 y/o single male
love the outdoors (golfing, swimming, running)
enjoy the nightlife
like the bigger city atmosphere due to all the nightlife
don't mind the humidity
love to GOLF - must have a decent selection of courses
will be in TX during the hottest months (July-September)

Just looking for some words of wisdom from you guys. According to the info I posted, which cities should I look into spending the next 3 months? And please, be as specific as possible when naming places (if it's in the Dallas metro, please state where exactly). Was originally thinking Austin but open to any other considerations. The company I work for provides all the housing needs so all I need to do is tell them places I am interested in going and they find the jobs available. Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks.
[/quote]

I'm curious. If you're employed by someone, don't they have a limitation on where you live in the state to which you are assigned? Does your employer reimburse you so are you on a rental budget as that can certainly determine whee you live? Do you move every 13 weeks to a new location? Is your employer providing services to poor, military, rehab facilities, etc.? Just curious

The golf is equal. The weather is equal. The nightlife is equal (Austin may have the edge for live music). The other part you are concerned about being 25 and single....well if UT wasnt out for the summer, I would say Austin hands down. But since all the co-eds are home now, and for many of them home is Houston, I would say H-Town!

If I was 25 again and not attached, Austin would be in my top 3 places in the COUNTRY to live. For all the reasons that have been mentioned above.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='birdieboy52' date='26 May 2010 - 11:54 AM' timestamp='1274892861' post='2468556']

I'm curious. If you're employed by someone, don't they have a limitation on where you live in the state to which you are assigned? Does your employer reimburse you so are you on a rental budget as that can certainly determine whee you live? Do you move every 13 weeks to a new location? Is your employer providing services to poor, military, rehab facilities, etc.? Just curious
[/quote]

The company will either find a furnished, private place for you to stay or will provide you a rental budget (which if you exceed will come out of your own pocket). The rental budget is usually pretty decent (around $1000 or so per month depending on what part of the country you are currently in). That pretty much frees me up to live in quite a few places. The rotations are 13 weeks but they usually come with the offer to resign with the same location which then can turn into 26 weeks (6 months). If i wanted to I could do 13 weeks at Dallas (during the summer), 13 weeks at Austin (in the fall when the UT students are back and football is going), 13 weeks at Houston (during the winter), and 13 weeks at San Antonio (during the spring). Most settings are Skilled Nursing Facilities but there are also a lot of outpatient and inpatient rehab facilities looking for temp PTs. Thanks for all the replies thus far guys. Seems Austin is a no brainer but being that it's summer and UT has thinned out I may try to go there more when school is in session. Dallas and Houston seem like great choices for the summer though. Which would be better to visit in the hot summer months? Think I'm leaning a little towards the Dallas area possibly.

I'll try to get to some of the other responses in a bit but gotta run for right now. Thanks.

[quote name='bigred90gt' date='02 June 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1275505344' post='2482517']
If you've never been here, you really cannot understand the humidity levels. A lot of people cannot hack it that are not from this area.
[/quote]

Bah, it's no worse then lots of other places in the South East. I actually didn't think it was as bad as central florida.

And yes, I lived in Houston for several years, and I've lived in Dallas for several years now. I actually think Dallas is hotter, the highs are slightly higher but it is drier here compared to Houston. But I'd still pick Dallas over Houston, but neither would be bad.