Camelback Golf Club - Padre Course

wdwfan78

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive played in many many times, as I have a friend who works there. I havent played there recently, but its always in pretty good condition. Not SUUPER high end nice, but better than muni's. Padre is a fun course, not too terribly tough, but theres some trouble to be found via fairway bunkers and some nicely placed water hazards if you try to get aggresive on some of the par 5's. Here's a description from the website:

"From the mind of world-renowned golf course architect Arthur Hills comes a course that promises an enjoyable and unforgettable golf adventure. The Padre Course features towering trees, subtle landforms and impressive bunkering to sharpen your game. This 6,903-yard, par 72 design is known for its strategic layout, challenging water holes, and had its 18th hole voted the best water hole in the state by Arizona Golf Magazine. "

Ive always enjoyed pplaying out there and it holds a special place in my heart because that was the first course I ever broke par on haha. Let us know what kind of shape its in!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

The Padre course used to be an old-school Red Lawrence layout in the traditional all grass, tree-lined style that was known for its immaculate conditioning. Somewhat short in length, the best features were a set of smallish push-up greens that were quite tricky but putted like a dream. Camelback was once a top of the list destination for out of town tourists and locals alike. As newer, flashier upscale courses were introduced in the 90's, Camelback lost its luster. So they brought in Art Hills to remodel it and he basically vandalized the course, razing all the greens and adding a bunch of crappy water hazards. The result is a totally forgettable cookie cutter layout that brought a tear to my eye when I saw it.

If you've never played it before the changes, you probably won't be offended. It does still offer a change of pace from the typical desert/target layout. And some pretty nice houses around the perimeter!

Wow Tom, I had no idea that it went through a redesign. For what its worth, I still enjoy playing Indian Bend over the Padre course.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

I played Camelback yesterday, granted I was on the Indian Bend course (there was a shotgun event on Padre), I was not very impressed with the conditions. And like tjy355 said, the layout isn't anything special. But considering the prices, you can't really complain. It's a good deal but don't expect much.

I like Indian Bend because its got trees and more of a traditional layout. Ive made it well known that Im not a fan of desert courses. Looks like Im in the wrong state!

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' date='06 June 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1275872237' post='2490330']
I like Indian Bend because its got trees and more of a traditional layout. Ive made it well known that Im not a fan of desert courses. Looks like Im in the wrong state!
[/quote]
I'm not a big fan of desert courses either. But I guess I would prefer a good desert course over a bland traditional. Just sucks when I get the banana slice going and I spend more time in rocks than on grass. haha.

Indian Bend is the newer (1978) Jack Snyder course that has the out and back routing in the wash. It has been quite a few years since I played it, (20 years?!!) and I don't remember lots of trees, but I suppose they would have grown in a bit since.

I was thinking Padre was the one that was with more trees but now that I think about it, the reno did open it up a bit. That course originally opened in 1970 and the Hills redo was around 1999.

Hmm after the 70 I would have thought Padre would have been your choice.

Actually the Padre was the last round of golf I have been able to play(3weeks agorussian_roulette.gif ). Fun course not to drastically tough if you hit somewhat straight off the tee. Greens are very hard and you need to factor that in for the approach shots right now. If the pin is in the back at 140 yards 132-135 should be the shot your looking for if you spin the ball well. They did putt pretty good. I like the par 5's since they are reachable from the tips with solid drives but its not always the safe play since they usually have lakes by the greens. I think Indian Bend is pretty boring compared to Padre.

FWIW a buddy of mine from work said he played Indian Bend last weekend at it was pretty rough. Padre was in pretty good shape a few weeks ago and its the one they tend to keep up more from what I have noticed

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

well congrats on your second sub 80 round

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 years later...

You can read my somewhat harsh review of the Padre in post #4. ha ha, must have had a few beverages when I wrote that. As for conditioning, I have no idea but for sure it will not be anything approaching goat ranch.

An update on the Indian Bend course mentioned earlier in this old thread... the course is undergoing a complete remodel by the architecture team of Hurdzan-Fry and scheduled to reopen this fall. I played a Hurdzan course on my recent visit to Ohio and was fairly impressed. Here is a link to another thread:
[url]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/708822-camelback-indian-bend-renovation/[/url]

I played the Padre course about a month ago. It was in great shape and for the price it's a bargain. Greens rolled true and were fairly fast. It's a fun layout. I enjoyed playing the course and would do so again. It's not Troon, or Raven as South Mountain, but it is a fun and affordable course. I heard Indian Bend would be open in October, but in June there was absolutely no grass on the course. Still moving dirt. I guess it's possible but I'm having a hard time imagining it being open that quickly.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60