New PING irons?

Anybody know anything about these?
I was browsing the Yahoo! Sports pages online today, and saw this pic (below) of Angel Cabrera at this year's Smurfit Kappa European Open at The K-Club in Straffan, Ireland.

The iron he's using definitely isn't in the current PING product line. Looks like a blend of the S59 Tour and i5, or something. It's obviously new, or a proto. Does anyone have any info on this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them at the western open. They are replacing the S59. They are called S58. To be honest it was hard to tell the difference. All I saw was the short irons. They also had Bubba Watson testing a new driver as well. I over heard him tell his caddie how much he liked it.

That makes no sense if you know what the S-59s were named for. Also Ping has NEVER regressed in numbers---that doesn't "play" well in Asia. Those are much larger (having seen an unmarked/unpainted casting proto which was still 17-4ph steel--they also had a great deal of offset in the one I saw) than the S-59s but smaller than today's G5s. Those aren't the ti shovels that will be out this fall. Look for those next spring. The new driver and ti shovels this fall with the new putters in about a month.

Pings biggest problem over the years has been getting their pros to switch to the new equipment (drivers/putters no problem). Most of their more successful pros over the years have stayed with the good old stuff (Calc---who just switched, Mayfair, Westwood, DiMarco etc. etc. would try new stuff and go back to the old stuff). Calc may be the only one who has won with present iron product.

im pretty sure s59 is "since 1959" its either 1959 or 1859 but i think thats what it is

1959. But those new irons look sweet.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

S was for Solheim and the official start of the company (putter wise) was 1959. Maybe these comemorate the start of their aeronautics/military division. Rather than continuing to claim they are S-58s POST PICTURES---that usually solves it all. And as a previous poster said they ain't pretty and won't remotely be considered an improvement of the S-59s---the only relationship to them is they share the same name ping.

Is nice they are getting rid of that black plastic insert that was either inserted/glued in crooked or often fell out. But you must return it to Ping so they can put it back in "properly" (like it wasn't in the first place).

I saw them at the western open. They are replacing the S59. They are called S58. To be honest it was hard to tell the difference. All I saw was the short irons. They also had Bubba Watson testing a new driver as well. I over heard him tell his caddie how much he liked it.

That makes no sense if you know what the S-59s were named for. Also Ping has NEVER regressed in numbers---that doesn't "play" well in Asia. Those are much larger (having seen an unmarked/unpainted casting proto which was still 17-4ph steel--they also had a great deal of offset in the one I saw) than the S-59s but smaller than today's G5s. Those aren't the ti shovels that will be out this fall. Look for those next spring. The new driver and ti shovels this fall with the new putters in about a month.

Pings biggest problem over the years has been getting their pros to switch to the new equipment (drivers/putters no problem). Most of their more successful pros over the years have stayed with the good old stuff (Calc---who just switched, Mayfair, Westwood, DiMarco etc. etc. would try new stuff and go back to the old stuff). Calc may be the only one who has won with present iron product.

In the 1st paragraph, second sentence, when you use the term "those" which iron are you referring to?

There is a black plastic port in these irons but it's less visible than in the S59s. Blow up the pic and your will see it.

Is nice they are getting rid of that black plastic insert that was either inserted/glued in crooked or often fell out. But you must return it to Ping so they can put it back in "properly" (like it wasn't in the first place).

They are the new S58's as stated above...It kinda of does make sence if you knew what "S59" stood for...When i was in Phenoix the creater of that iron told me that S is for Solhiem, and the "59" is a goal that every golfer is trying to reach..score wise...That was his explaination..so "S58" may make sence in that matter...They are due out in Aug, as well as the Rapture irons, Driver, and new wedges..

Accra Sponsors the European Tour photos. See the thread below if you qualify. Pictures of one club will not get you a free shaft unfortunately.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=101778

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

People that said that the new players irons will be called S-58 are absolutely correct. I was told that is their name (you can see it on a few sites that have done some pretty good photoshop work) and also got corrected on a different meaning for the S-59. The original forged ansers were 69 anser (because at the time 69 was a good score). Next came the S-59 because everyone talks about shooting a 59. So the S-58 is one stroke better. So unlike the original now urban legend it had nothing to do with the year Ping was started in golf retail.

I was cautioned that everything that is seen at these tournaments isn't necessarily the final form they will be sold in. Ping waits for the feedback from the tour before deciding on the final form and what will be offered. They are having a sales meeting in the near future so more details should be available at that time.