2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Turn the right shoulder backwards

Gethy

Encyclopaedia Texarkana
Hey All,

I wanted to discuss what rotating the right shoulder does in the golf swing as this single thing from the encyclopaedia Texarkana has transformed my golf swing.

I rotate the right shoulder back and the club drops into a slot at the top and I can just fire at the target as hard as I want, hell I can now hit my 8 iron 140 yards with my eyes closed.

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gethy' timestamp='1284457181' post='2695610']
Hey All,

I wanted to discuss what rotating the right shoulder does in the golf swing as this single thing from the encyclopaedia Texarkana has transformed my golf swing.

I rotate the right shoulder back and the club drops into a slot at the top and I can just fire at the target as hard as I want, hell I can now hit my 8 iron 140 yards with my eyes closed.

Cheers
[/quote]

For some reason I can't do text searches in my [i]Encyclopedia Texarkana[/i] (am I the only one with that problem?). Do you have a page number where he talks about rotating the right shoulder?

Hey All,

Cheers
[/quote]
By starting the swing with the rotation of the right shoulder and ending the backswing with both shoulders in line with your right foot ,you achieve a deep pivot .However,there are two caveats.First you must maintain the brace of the right knee throughout the backswing.If the knee straightens significantly ,you will lose the club way behind you.Second there must be no independent movement of the hands for the the first foot or so.If the hands turn the club inside at a very early point in the backswing ,then you will also lose the club behind you .Rotation of the right shoulder is just another example of why many think that he is a teaching genius

Hey All,

Cheers
[/quote]
By starting the swing with the rotation of the right shoulder and ending the backswing with both shoulders in line with your right foot ,you achieve a deep pivot .However,there are two caveats.First you must maintain the brace of the right knee throughout the backswing.If the knee straightens significantly ,you will lose the club way behind you.Second there must be no independent movement of the hands for the the first foot or so.If the hands turn the club inside at a very early point in the backswing ,then you will also lose the club behind you .Rotation of the right shoulder is just another example of why many think that he is a teaching genius

i think it's just to help ensure that you're getting a full shoulder rotation. a lot of people practice by laying a club across the chest or top of the shoulders to get used to the feeling, but focusing on getting the right shoulder back is another good way to consciously check that you're making a full 90* turn.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1284477969' post='2696015']
Hey All,

Cheers
[/quote]

For some reason I can't do text searches in my [i]Encyclopedia Texarkana[/i] (am I the only one with that problem?). Do you have a page number where he talks about rotating the right shoulder?
[/quote]

I found this on page 30.

"A drill I use quite often with my students who come too far from the inside on the downswing is the box drill. Take an old golf club shipping box and set it down on the ground parallel to the target line and approximately 6" or so inside the target line (between your toes and the target line). I then try and get the student (once they are set up on the correct address angles) to feel as if their right shoulder and hip are turning "backwards" (maintain the flex in your right knee) while the clubhead is working down the target line for the first 12" to 18." Then the left forearm begins to rotate and the right arm/elbow begins to fold opening the face and setting the shaft. The key is that at NO time during the backswing should the arms be working independently of the torso; they work together. When the torso completes its backward turn and wind then the hands, arms, and club stop at EXACTLY the same moment; everything is in synch. Hit a lot of wedges short distances to get use to the feeling of synchronization. The student then tries to hit shots with their driver without hitting the box and while trying to hit a fade or pull. They THINK they are going to pull or fade the ball but they rarely do in actuality. Usually their ball flight straightens out and they learn to quiet the hands and forearm rotation."

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1284483747' post='2696192']
I found this on page 30.

"A drill I use quite often with my students who come too far from the inside on the downswing is the box drill. Take an old golf club shipping box and set it down on the ground parallel to the target line and approximately 6" or so inside the target line (between your toes and the target line). I then try and get the student (once they are set up on the correct address angles) to feel as if their right shoulder and hip are turning "backwards" (maintain the flex in your right knee) while the clubhead is working down the target line for the first 12" to 18." Then the left forearm begins to rotate and the right arm/elbow begins to fold opening the face and setting the shaft. The key is that at NO time during the backswing should the arms be working independently of the torso; they work together. When the torso completes its backward turn and wind then the hands, arms, and club stop at EXACTLY the same moment; everything is in synch. Hit a lot of wedges short distances to get use to the feeling of synchronization. The student then tries to hit shots with their driver without hitting the box and while trying to hit a fade or pull. They THINK they are going to pull or fade the ball but they rarely do in actuality. Usually their ball flight straightens out and they learn to quiet the hands and forearm rotation."
[/quote]

Got it. So we are talking about the way the body rotates, and how the shoulder moves (changes position)...not how the shoulder rotates within it's joint.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1284488944' post='2696375']
[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1284483747' post='2696192']
I found this on page 30.

[/quote]

Got it. So we are talking about the way the body rotates, and how the shoulder moves (changes position)...not how the shoulder rotates within it's joint.
[/quote]

Yes, its how the shoulders rotate around the spine, right shoulder back and left shoulder forward. I have always thought in terms of turning my left shoulder until it was over my right knee. Thinking about the right shoulder going back seems to help me feel the coil more strongly, possibly because its different.

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1284477969' post='2696015']
Hey All,

Cheers
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi HitEm,

The specific quote I was looking at appears on page 28 under the swing keys for the modern golf swing; I wanted to open a discussion about this and we have had some good stuff so far.

The idea of the right side/ shoulder "turning/pulling" away.......the reason for this goes all the way back to the likes of Mr Hogan and Mr Nelson, they both used the right sides to move the club away, this is evidenced in the 1st 2 feet of the club moving back where they club appears to be "dragging" away as the clubhead is delayed a touch as the "handle" starts away 1st, you see that the arms are being "pulled" away via the turn .......this can only be done IF the 1st move is done correctly using the right shoulder, IF it were to be done via the left shoulder you would see the toe of the club "open up" too quickly and the clubhead would work in "behind" you and be stuck in the DEATH move 1st position........in footage of Mr Hogan and Mr Nelson you can see that the shaft loads/flex's slightly in the 1st move via this dragging away motion.

The way the right side pulls the club back away from the ball is the KEY to a solid 1 "piece" takeaway......it keeps the clubhead outside the hands and has the handle working "inwards" slightly as the clubhead takes a straighter line away form the ball.......keeping the clubface "looking" at the ball during the 1st move ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan

[quote name='dfw1500' timestamp='1284554444' post='2697760']
The idea of the right side/ shoulder "turning/pulling" away.......the reason for this goes all the way back to the likes of Mr Hogan and Mr Nelson, they both used the right sides to move the club away, this is evidenced in the 1st 2 feet of the club moving back where they club appears to be "dragging" away as the clubhead is delayed a touch as the "handle" starts away 1st, you see that the arms are being "pulled" away via the turn .......this can only be done IF the 1st move is done correctly using the right shoulder, IF it were to be done via the left shoulder you would see the toe of the club "open up" too quickly and the clubhead would work in "behind" you and be stuck in the DEATH move 1st position........in footage of Mr Hogan and Mr Nelson you can see that the shaft loads/flex's slightly in the 1st move via this dragging away motion.

The way the right side pulls the club back away from the ball is the KEY to a solid 1 "piece" takeaway......it keeps the clubhead outside the hands and has the handle working "inwards" slightly as the clubhead takes a straighter line away form the ball.......keeping the clubface "looking" at the ball during the 1st move ;)

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan
[/quote]

[size="3"]Hi Dan,[/size]

[size="3"]I am hoping this move will help with me sucking the club inside.[/size]

[size="3"]One thing I wanted to ask is in relation to the "right shoulder back" I am rotating my shoulders too horizontal to the ground and not horizontal to my spine; do you have any drills to help me with that and will work in conjunction with the right shoulder back?[/size]

[size="3"]I am hoping to get things together before I come across to see you next month. [/size]

Thanks for posting this. I have been struggling with how to initiate the back swing - going from shanks to slices in the process (with a few straight ones in between). This gives an excellent trigger that keeps things simple and feels natural to me. I don't think I ever would have decoded it in reading the ET. After the explanation, I can see where it came from but I don't think I would have gotten it on my own. I'm just not that smart einstein.gif

[quote name='Gethy' timestamp='1284560572' post='2697906']
[quote name='dfw1500' timestamp='1284554444' post='2697760']

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dan
[/quote]

[size="3"]Hi Dan,[/size]

[size="3"]I am hoping this move will help with me sucking the club inside.[/size]

[size="3"]One thing I wanted to ask is in relation to the "right shoulder back" I am rotating my shoulders too horizontal to the ground and not horizontal to my spine; do you have any drills to help me with that and will work in conjunction with the right shoulder back?[/size]

[size="3"]I am hoping to get things together before I come across to see you next month. [/size]
[/quote]

This will help with preventing you suucking it inside, one thing you need to ensure is that you maintain/increase the angle in the left wrist as that is key to making sure the 1st move is in 1piece.

As for a drill, If you are taking the right shoulder back too horizontal then the likely hood is that you are moving off the ball in the backswingmeaning you are sliding away and not maintaining your pivot point............simply lay a club across your shoulders and do some pivots "infront" of a mirror to see how your shoulders are moving/pivoting. ;)

Cheers Dan

getting the right shoulder back has been my one swing thought this entire summer. i was getting my shoulders too verticle and having two way misses. this thought helped me a lot!

TM M5 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 
TM M5 14.5 Aldila Rouge Silver 
Bridgestone J38 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125S+
TM TP EF Wedges 50 54 48
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

This is a tried and true golf swing tip that has been published many times by the best golf instructors. I've read it in books by Bob Toski, Jackie Burke, Jr. and also Butch Harmon. It may be one of the all-time best golf swing tips. I go back to this every time I'm having trouble getting the shoulders to turn fully.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

[quote name='Will Par' timestamp='1284574131' post='2698296']
This is a tried and true golf swing tip that has been published many times by the best golf instructors. I've read it in books by Bob Toski, Jackie Burke, Jr. and also Butch Harmon. It may be one of the all-time best golf swing tips. I go back to this every time I'm having trouble getting the shoulders to turn fully.
[/quote]

While certaintly not original with Slicefixer,initiating the swing by turning the right shoulder is part of the whole package that makes him such an outstanding teacher

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1284575963' post='2698370']
[/quote]

While certaintly not original with Slicefixer,initiating the swing by turning the right shoulder is part of the whole package that makes him such an outstanding teacher
[/quote]

Slicefixer would say that he has gleaned a bit here and gleaned a bit there in his research whilst also developing his "own", but unlike a lot he is always the 1st to give credit to others he has learnt from.

[quote name='dfw1500' timestamp='1284576882' post='2698398']
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1284575963' post='2698370']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Slicefixer would say that he has gleaned a bit here and gleaned a bit there in his research whilst also developing his "own", but unlike a lot he is always the 1st to give credit to others he has learnt from.
[/quote]

I have read a dozen or so books and his PDF is by far better.

I have been focusing on using the right shoulder to start the swing for the past few days as well. This thread may have sparked my interest, or I might have read it somewhere in one of the 9-3 threads, I don't remember. I'm working on a Slicefixer type swing and with my old swing, I started back by turning my left shoulder under my chin. Turning the right shoulder back is definitely a different sensation, but it definitely works for that type of swing. I think I'm getting synced up better by tracking my right shoulder turning back and stopping everything when it stops, then firing through the ball. Practicing this swing is my long-term goal, but I'm already seeing benefits. Ripped a driver up the middle and hit a towering 8 iron uphill from 145 yards to 4 inches of the hole for a tap in birdie on my home course's #1 handicap hole today. I birdie that hole maybe 2-3 times a year at best. Great feeling :)

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 years later...

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1284480960' post='2696120']
Hey All,
[size=4]I wanted to discuss what rotating the right shoulder does in the golf swing as this single thing from the encyclopaedia Texarkana has transformed my golf swing.[/size]
[size=4]I rotate the right shoulder back and the club drops into a slot at the top and I can just fire at the target as hard as I want, hell I can now hit my 8 iron 140 yards with my eyes closed.[/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
By [color=#ff0000][u][b]starting[/b][/u][/color] the swing with the rotation of the right shoulder and ending the backswing with both shoulders in line with your right foot, you achieve a deep pivot. However, there are two caveats. First you must maintain the brace of the right knee throughout the backswing. If the knee straightens significantly ,you will lose the club way behind you.Second there must be no independent movement of the hands for the the first foot or so. If the hands turn the club inside at a very early point in the backswing, then you will also lose the club behind you. Rotation of the right shoulder is just another example of why many think that he is a teaching genius. [/quote]

Starting the swing with the rotation of the right shoulder is genius.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1364651865' post='6725353']
just be careful that you don't get narrow with your right arm at the top
[/quote]
One of the goals of the Slicefixer backswing is to achieve width with your arms(away from the target ) while turning deep with the pivot(away from the target LINE)
You can not achieve width with your arms if you suck the hands inside or if you let the right arm fold prematurely

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1364678410' post='6726927']
[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1364651865' post='6725353']
just be careful that you don't get narrow with your right arm at the top
[/quote]
One of the goals of the Slicefixer backswing is to achieve width with your arms(away from the target ) while turning deep with the pivot(away from the target LINE)
You can not achieve width with your arms if you suck the hands inside or if you let the right arm fold prematurely
[/quote]

completely agree.....was just saying that some people are going to read this thread and think to start the backswing by contracting the right shoulder....and without a mental note to not use the hands and maintain width at the top to keep their arms in front of them, they may be (without knowing it) suck their right arm tight and their left arm across their chest. bad news and an accidental oopsie from an otherwise great swing thought

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.