Another Yank moving to England looking for a Golf Club

67VIP

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1385895677' post='8232118']
I only have about 15 months left over here, so I am going to try and hit a few more of the names before my time is up...Walton Heath, etc.
[/quote]

Funny that you should say that actually. Walton Heath is somewhere that I haven't played yet, and I've been promising myself a round there for some time now.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1385925761' post='8233250']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1385895677' post='8232118']
I only have about 15 months left over here, so I am going to try and hit a few more of the names before my time is up...Walton Heath, etc.
[/quote]

Funny that you should say that actually. Walton Heath is somewhere that I haven't played yet, and I've been promising myself a round there for some time now.
[/quote]

Once the weather gets half decent in the spring we might could meet up there and play. They only allow visitors M-F, and if memory serves the Old Course is 145 pds or you can play both for 220...but can't tee off until after 0930. That's sort of a no brainer for me since both are highly ranked. I'm sure we'd have to pre-pay as you would for Sunningdale, but I'd like to wait until there's enough daylight to get both in without having to run around at warp speed. I'm going to do the same at Sunningdale one more time too, but that's a different deal for me...it takes a little more scheduling effort as I can get a serviceman's rate there. Another one I'd like to play is the Heritage Course at London Golf Club, but that's members only...I've played the International about six times and loved it. A golf buddy of mine just played Wentworth West this past Friday for free...lucky dawg, but he did bring me a logo ball and yardage book. I may also try for Royal St George in March before the rate goes up if the weather is decent, As you can tell my bucket list is about nine miles long...

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

So much to see and do, but so little time. I played Royal St Georges back in Open Championship year, and I can safely say it's one of the best Courses I've ever played. The Course condition was unbelievably good.

I think you are right about waiting until Spring to get onto Walton Heath though, as the idea of getting two rounds in a day, sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe we can hook up over there then?

If you do the 36-hole day at Walton Heath, try to arrange it on a day they're serving lunch between rounds. The food was quite good, the courses are just outstanding. And in my estimation the New course is every bit the equal of the Old, in fact if I had to choose I probably liked the New slightly better.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1385983432' post='8235928']
If you do the 36-hole day at Walton Heath, try to arrange it on a day they're serving lunch between rounds. The food was quite good, the courses are just outstanding. And in my estimation the New course is every bit the equal of the Old, in fact if I had to choose I probably liked the New slightly better.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing when I went to Sunningdale, I liked the New Course better than the Old Course. I'm going to try and go back next year and play both in one day and see if that holds true. If my group heads back to St Andrews next year I'll do the same thing, try and bag the Old/New in the same day...that would make for an interesting triple crown...Old/New at St Andrews, Sunningdale, and Walton Heath.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[attachment=1978915:Old Thorns 18th.jpg]

Played Old Thorns Manor Hotel this past Saturday, first time in two years on what turned out to be a lovely winter's day. Great round with a group of friends from my home course and got to meet a bunch of the members at Old Thorns as well. Really neat place, great food & drink too. We play them 2x a year in interclub matches and hopefully I will get to participate in next year's matches.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

A few photos from my travels...I realized I hadn't posted very many in this thread. These were taken with my smart phone, so I apologize for the quality of some of the shots.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1386588332' post='8271743']
A few photos from my travels...I realized I hadn't posted very many in this thread. These were taken with my smart phone, so I apologize for the quality of some of the shots.
[/quote]

The last one is at Notts, isn't it? Love that green site.

P.S. I think a couple of the other pictures look Notts-ish as well but having only played there once my memory isn't the greatest.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386657518' post='8276849']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1386588332' post='8271743']
[/quote]

The last one is at Notts, isn't it? Love that green site.

P.S. I think a couple of the other pictures look Notts-ish as well but having only played there once my memory isn't the greatest.
[/quote]

Celtic Manor 2010, Royal Cromer, Sheringham, Woburn Dukes, Woburn Marquess 3x, Notts Golf Club 2x. Royal Cromer is my favorite "local" course...been there 15 times. Woburn Marquess & The Grove are my two favorite upscale courses, but overall fav is still probably Sunningdale. Will have to see if Walton Heath changes my mind.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I believe in your next-to-last photo from Notts, I played my fourth shot from just a few paces in front of where you were standing to snap that photo. Tee shot into the rough well right of the fairway. Hack it out to 150-ish yards.

Then from there, my mistake for thinking I could land a 6-iron two yards onto the green and stay on the putting surface! The course was playing super "keen" the day I visited. Fortunately my best-ball partner played the hole as he did so many that day, driver then mid-iron to the middle of the green then ho-hum two putt from there.

A real treat and I can't wait for my next visit.

Guess my memory for disaster holes is better than for courses and holes, generally speaking...

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386702878' post='8279015']
I believe in your next-to-last photo from Notts, I played my fourth shot from just a few paces in front of where you were standing to snap that photo. Tee shot into the rough well right of the fairway. Hack it out to 150-ish yards.

Then from there, my mistake for thinking I could land a 6-iron two yards onto the green and stay on the putting surface! The course was playing super "keen" the day I visited. Fortunately my best-ball partner played the hole as he did so many that day, driver then mid-iron to the middle of the green then ho-hum two putt from there.

A real treat and I can't wait for my next visit.

Guess my memory for disaster holes is better than for courses and holes, generally speaking...
[/quote]

I made four on that hole without ever being on the playing surface...missed the fairway to the right, hit 6 iron off a side hill lie to short left of the green, pitched on to three feet, tapped in for par. I should have hit three iron off the tee, but I just had to hit driver...almost screwed it up. If my group makes it to St Andrews again in May I'll stop and play Notts on the way up, and Sherwood Forest on the way back...to far for a day trip. But it is a fantastic course, more character than Woodhall Spa and in better condition.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I'd like to spend several nights in the area. Play two or three days at Notts, a day at Sherwood Forest and a side trip down to Beau Desert. That would be a cool week of golf and I know of a nice B&B conveniently located.

Who knows when, though. So much to see in England and Scotland and so few trips across the ocean in a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1386762405' post='8282325']
I'd like to spend several nights in the area. Play two or three days at Notts, a day at Sherwood Forest and a side trip down to Beau Desert. That would be a cool week of golf and I know of a nice B&B conveniently located.

Who knows when, though. So much to see in England and Scotland and so few trips across the ocean in a lifetime.
[/quote]

I think I know what you mean. So much to see and try and squeeze in during a finite amount of time here...reminds me of what one of my young co-workers said the other day. My generation got to see so much...Kennedy, Nixon's detente' with China & Russia, Reagan, Armstrong landing on the moon, Elvis/Beatles/Stones/Creedence, Ali-Frazier, Nicklaus vs Palmer/Trevino/Watson, Secretariat, '72 Miami Dolphins, etc. His has youtube, facebook, reality tv...not quite the same. I was even fortunate enough to see some of that in person myself...Elvis and Apollo 17.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

Played Bourn Golf Club a couple of weeks ago, unbelievable amount of mud...took two hrs to cleanup myself, my pull cart, and bag/clubs. Played Bury St Edmunds again yesterday...we've had great weather over the past five days. This time I got to play the tees I wanted without interference from a member and had a good time. Would have had a good score too if I hadn't three putted half a dozen times. Greens were slow and a bit soggy. but the last five holes on that course are great...one of the best finishes in the area. My group is making noise about heading over to Princes Golf Club in Sandwich this weekend...that should be interesting if we make it.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1389690937' post='8457081']
Played Bourn Golf Club a couple of weeks ago, unbelievable amount of mud...took two hrs to cleanup myself, my pull cart, and bag/clubs. Played Bury St Edmunds again yesterday...we've had great weather over the past five days. This time I got to play the tees I wanted without interference from a member and had a good time. Would have had a good score too if I hadn't three putted half a dozen times. Greens were slow and a bit soggy. but the last five holes on that course are great...one of the best finishes in the area. My group is making noise about heading over to Princes Golf Club in Sandwich this weekend...that should be interesting if we make it.
[/quote]

Hope you/they enjoy it at Princes. I played Royal St Georges before I played Princes, big mistake!! Royal St Georges is a magnificent track, in the top 3 Courses I've ever played, so going to Princes after, was always going to be a bit of a disappointment, its all a little flat, featureless and lacking in character in comparison in my opinion. It's not a bad track, just disappointing after playing RSG the previous day. Hope you enjoy it though.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1389699667' post='8457225']
[/quote]

Hope you/they enjoy it at Princes. I played Royal St Georges before I played Princes, big mistake!! Royal St Georges is a magnificent track, in the top 3 Courses I've ever played, so going to Princes after, was always going to be a bit of a disappointment, its all a little flat, featureless and lacking in character in comparison in my opinion. It's not a bad track, just disappointing after playing RSG the previous day. Hope you enjoy it though.
[/quote]

Me too. I'm looking forward to it...but I hope course conditions are better than what I've seen lately. Our 2.5 man crew at Breckland Pines has our course in amazing shape for this time of year...in fact some members from Links Newmarket have been coming over recently to play because their course is not in good condition right now. My main goal for the year is now Walton Heath--both tracks in one day. Hopefully in May or June, then once that's done I'll look at going back to St Andrews to bag the Old & New in a day as well. A side note will be to get on Royal St George in March before the rate goes up as a birthday present to myself...if the weather is as good as this moment--46 F, blue sky and sunshine here in Mildenhall.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1389699667' post='8457225']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I played the "other" nine at Princes last year for the first time. I'd been around the main 18 holes (the names of the nines always escape me) a few times. Seemed they had let the conditioning slide a bit on the third nine but there were a couple of interestingly laid out holes. The Par 5 late in that nine has an angled tee shot (with numerous bunkers in play) then the rest of the hole plays along a somewhat sidehill fairway to an interesting green.

The main nines at Princes suffer from a bit of sameness in the Par 4's. I can't always recall which hole was which after the round. But the main quibble is that so many holes run in the same direction, if that direction is crosswind (say 15mph or more) the typical thickness of the rough gets punishing. Seems like this last trip they were keeping the rough chopped down enough one could usually at least find the ball. A couple years before when I was last there it was like 2 yards off the fairway and you'll never see that ball again.

Between Princes, Royal St. George and then Royal Cinque Ports over in Deal if someone limited me to only visiting that one spot in all the UK every year for the rest of my life I think I could live with that. Princes is a darned fine links courses in my estimation yet it can't hold a candle to the other two. That makes for a pretty awesome three courses.

P.S. Hmmm, wonder if it's too late to reroute my summer 2014 travel plans to the southeast coast...

No I haven't, called once or twice to ask, even drove over several times and looked it over...I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's just a bunch of holes running back in forth inside a small area of land. I remember very distinctly what my reaction was when I walked up the footpath to the fourth tee box at Royal Cromer and gazed outward to the North Sea, and again at the fourth or fifth hole at Sheringham at the top of the hill where you can see the rest of the course and the cliffs...or to even make a straight apples to apples comparison how about any nine holes at Woburn or The Grove? A lot of people seem to think it's all that; I didn't see anything to crow about myself. The Grove is my favorite course I've played over here, although I've played many that are higher ranked to include Sunningdale, Woodhall Spa, Woburn, The Belfry, Notts Golf Club, etc. It's all conjecture and personal opinion, makes for a good chat over a pint of Bombardier. I hope when I go back to the states I can find that stuff readily available...it's ruined my taste for any American beer other than Yuengling.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Where I live in the States there are few if any easily accessible courses with the turf quality or degree of undulation found at Worly, for instance. If I could play semi-regularly on links turf (or good heathland/download links-like turf) at home I might not fly across an ocean every summer!

Although the beer is a plus as well.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1389726804' post='8459825']
Where I live in the States there are few if any easily accessible courses with the turf quality or degree of undulation found at Worly, for instance. If I could play semi-regularly on links turf (or good heathland/download links-like turf) at home I might not fly across an ocean every summer!

Although the beer is a plus as well.
[/quote]

Well, I might have to go over and play it just so I can say I did it...I agree with you the turf on most of the courses here is great to hit off. A course here that's 30 pds is equal to about $50 in the states and I can't remember paying that much and playing on bad grass...but that was in the southeast where the sunshine and rain are plentiful with good conditions year round. I use to love playing in the fall when the courses overseed with rye and the fairways and greens were emerald green and the rough looked like a bowl of weetabix. Go play the Watson course at Reunion in Orlando and you'll get an overdose of undulation...like playing through a plate of scalloped potatoes.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

hi 67VIP. I've just really enjoyed reading your thread from beginning, thanks for recording and sharing your travels.

You don't mention Aldeburgh or Thorpness which are relatively close to you. Have you played them? Both great courses, Aldeburgh is a short, quirky, old school course with gorse bushes 10 feet high - you'll lose balls but if you find your way into one of the giant bushes you'll find dozens! It will take 2 and a half hours so you can take the family and leave them to wander round Aldeburgh and its beach.

Can I make some suggestions ?! You must play the heritage at the London club - miles better than the international and as good if not better than the Grove in my opinion. I was lucky enough to play with a member a few years ago and was very impressed. Quite American style ( Jack Nicklaus after all) but exposed to the elements and tough in the wind.

I've played most of the big name Surrey heathland courses and I think once you have played one, ( Sunningdale is a great one clearly), they are all pretty similar and you know what you are going to get. By that I mean you could equally enjoy the Addington , Berkshires or Wentworth – they are all pretty similar. Reading what you have said about liking the quirkiness of Notts I think you'd find Walton Heath a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, they are very high quality courses and I'd be happy if I was a member and played there every day of the year but I think it's a bit flat and 'samey' terrain, not a huge amount of character. Check out St Georges Hill - old school, brilliant course, quirky, decent length, hilly, interesting greens and great food. They used to do a winter deal including lunch, maybe they still do.

2 other courses you mentioned in passing, St Georges and Turnberry. They happen to be the only 2 open venues I have played:

St Georges is a grower - 1st time I was disappointed that you can’t see the sea and I didn't play well because I was distracted by work. 2nd time it was sunny, cold and windy and I loved the challenge. Not a purists course in the way St Andrews New is ( that is one mean mofo of a course where you really have to play old style bump and run) but the day I played St Georges there were brilliantly confusing winds, the holes change direction all the time and so does the wind, but the greens are relatively easy if you can find them. Great fun and awesome food ( typical golf club / school dinner style, simliar to Woburn).

Turnberry is golf porn. I have played the Ailsa 3 times and it really is something to savour. It’s got everything, great holes hugging the coastline ( you must play off the whites to really get it) , fantastic scenery - I mean the best you can imagine. And the history. Check out Watson’s eagle on the 7[sup]th[/sup] using his driver twice or try hitting a 7 iron from his plaque on the 18[sup]th[/sup] from the Duel in The Sun. Of all the courses I have played this is the I'd play every day, I can see every hole in my mind as I write this. Just brilliant.

Enjoy your golf in your last months in the UK

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

If you ever find yourself around Leeds, there are several fairways at Alwoodley that still have remnants of old rigs-and-furrows from when it was agricultural land (before the course was built 75+0 years ago). It's fun watching your drive run over those corregations...at least it's fun until it hops sideways into the ever-present heather. D'Oh!

Any course in the US would have bulldozed those flat as a pancake on Day 1 of earthmoving.

[quote name='vintage' timestamp='1389792034' post='8464477']
hi 67VIP. I've just really enjoyed reading your thread from beginning, thanks for recording and sharing your travels.

You don't mention Aldeburgh or Thorpness which are relatively close to you. Have you played them? Both great courses, Aldeburgh is a short, quirky, old school course with gorse bushes 10 feet high - you'll lose balls but if you find your way into one of the giant bushes you'll find dozens! It will take 2 and a half hours so you can take the family and leave them to wander round Aldeburgh and its beach.

Can I make some suggestions ?! You must play the heritage at the London club - miles better than the international and as good if not better than the Grove in my opinion. I was lucky enough to play with a member a few years ago and was very impressed. Quite American style ( Jack Nicklaus after all) but exposed to the elements and tough in the wind.

I've played most of the big name Surrey heathland courses and I think once you have played one, ( Sunningdale is a great one clearly), they are all pretty similar and you know what you are going to get. By that I mean you could equally enjoy the Addington , Berkshires or Wentworth – they are all pretty similar. Reading what you have said about liking the quirkiness of Notts I think you'd find Walton Heath a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong, they are very high quality courses and I'd be happy if I was a member and played there every day of the year but I think it's a bit flat and 'samey' terrain, not a huge amount of character. Check out St Georges Hill - old school, brilliant course, quirky, decent length, hilly, interesting greens and great food. They used to do a winter deal including lunch, maybe they still do.

2 other courses you mentioned in passing, St Georges and Turnberry. They happen to be the only 2 open venues I have played:

St Georges is a grower - 1st time I was disappointed that you can’t see the sea and I didn't play well because I was distracted by work. 2nd time it was sunny, cold and windy and I loved the challenge. Not a purists course in the way St Andrews New is ( that is one mean mofo of a course where you really have to play old style bump and run) but the day I played St Georges there were brilliantly confusing winds, the holes change direction all the time and so does the wind, but the greens are relatively easy if you can find them. Great fun and awesome food ( typical golf club / school dinner style, simliar to Woburn).

Turnberry is golf porn. I have played the Ailsa 3 times and it really is something to savour. It’s got everything, great holes hugging the coastline ( you must play off the whites to really get it) , fantastic scenery - I mean the best you can imagine. And the history. Check out Watson’s eagle on the 7[sup]th[/sup] using his driver twice or try hitting a 7 iron from his plaque on the 18[sup]th[/sup] from the Duel in The Sun. Of all the courses I have played this is the I'd play every day, I can see every hole in my mind as I write this. Just brilliant.

Enjoy your golf in your last months in the UK
[/quote]

I would love to play the Heritage at LGC, but I don't have any way to get on other than grovelling...already tried that and got no sympathy. Wentworth is compltely out of my price range, 365 pds for one round. Thorpness and Aldeburgh I will try and make this summer, and I saw something about Seacroft that looks interesting. If I make it to Walton Heath that will be my fifth Ryder Cup course, so hopefully that works out. Both of Sunningdale's courses just moved up in the rankings, I enjoyed both, but liked the new better than the old. Would like to go back to Woodbridge, but there's too much work going on and they had 9 holes on the main course closed the last two times I called. Too many good places to tee up on here.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Well, this thread prompted me to book some golf in Nottingham as my gran has lived there all my life and I've never played much in the area. I have booked Notts (Hollinwell), Lindrick and Sherwood Forest. After this thread I can't wait.

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

Eight of us went to Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club yesterday for the winter warmer pkg. We decided Princes was just too far for a day trip, and I'm glad too as it was cold, frosty, and otherwise just plain miserable the first 90 minutes we were at Felixstowe. By 1030 or so it had warmed up enough and the sun finally burned through the haze that it turned into a nice day. I managed to play the front nine in even par, then proceeded to blow up the back for a resounding 80. Took a triple on the 312 yard par four 11th that derailed the round. otherwise it was a good round, great course. I'd like to play it again in warmer weather, this is two trips now in freezing conditions. New pro shop with lots of goodies, too. We have another holiday on a Monday next month, have to figure out where we can go.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1390295099' post='8499845']
Eight of us went to Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club yesterday for the winter warmer pkg. We decided Princes was just too far for a day trip, and I'm glad too as it was cold, frosty, and otherwise just plain miserable the first 90 minutes we were at Felixstowe. By 1030 or so it had warmed up enough and the sun finally burned through the haze that it turned into a nice day. I managed to play the front nine in even par, then proceeded to blow up the back for a resounding 80. Took a triple on the 312 yard par four 11th that derailed the round. otherwise it was a good round, great course. I'd like to play it again in warmer weather, this is two trips now in freezing conditions. New pro shop with lots of goodies, too. We have another holiday on a Monday next month, have to figure out where we can go.
[/quote]

Felixstowe Ferry! That's a blast from the past for me! Love that course. Played a few junior tournaments there in the early 80s. If you like Felixstowe you should try Frinton. Has a bunch of holes along the sea wall. Used to be in really great shape. Unfortunatley it used to be incredibly snobby and old there but not sure if that still applies.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1390357873' post='8505867']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1390295099' post='8499845']
[/quote]

Felixstowe Ferry! That's a blast from the past for me! Love that course. Played a few junior tournaments there in the early 80s. If you like Felixstowe you should try Frinton. Has a bunch of holes along the sea wall. Used to be in really great shape. Unfortunatley it used to be incredibly snobby and old there but not sure if that still applies.
[/quote]

I'll try and check that out. I'd like to head over to Seacroft next month if the weather is as good as it was until this past Monday. I was playing quite comfortably three times a week, teeing off about 0930 - 1030 on those days and it was quite nice. Since Monday's trip to Felixstowe it has been ice cold and damp here, with the forecast looking grim for next week. I have two brand new Callaway Mack Daddy 2 wedges that need breaking in...but I don't want to be miserable doing it. Got home from work at midnight last night and was re-gripping them at one o'clock in the morning with a pint of Bombardier to keep me company.

Golf club companies are going to extremes in different directions for different clubs...when it comes to drivers they must think we're all 6 foot plus and need a 45-46 inch driver, then when it comes to irons and wedges they put grips on them for a ten year old girl. Last year I took my Titleist 910D3 (Titleist - Diamana Kal'li 65 stiff) to Direct Golf in Cambridge to have it cut down and re-gripped. The salesman I spoke to had to be 6 foot 5 inches tall (I'm 5 foot 11 on a very good day) and as he stares down at me he says "you know that's going to shorten your driving distance and stiffen up the club don't you?" The smart a** in me just couldn't hold back...I said "well, drivers nowadays are made for somebody your size, when I learned to play in the 70s drivers were 43 inches long and the ideal golfer was 5 foot 10. That kai'li shaft has a torque of 4.1 and my preferred torque is usually around 3.5, so I think cutting it down from 45.5 to 44.25 is only going to help--not hurt...plus when I choke down on it I usually hit it straighter and further." The look I got was a Mastercard moment...and I did wind up hitting it higher, straighter, and further...but still don't like that club. That's why I took a chance on the Taylormade RBZ bonded driver...jeez what a beast! I keep up with the young'uns now, even get by them a few times a round. The first 300+ yard drive I hit with it in front of my group was a truly WTF moment.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Anybody played Seacroft or Lindrick Golf Clubs? Seacroft is close enough for a day trip, and I just saw a flyer for the Mercedes Benz Cup this coming June that is a two man better ball tourney on Notts/Sherwood Forest/Lindrick courses over three days...sounds like a great tournament to me. I had a chance to play Notts last Oct and it was awesome, and took a peak at Sherwood Forest on the way home...looked like a terrific course.

w/KBS $-Taper 110