Another Yank moving to England looking for a Golf Club

67VIP

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1402069037' post='9442743']
Woodbridge Golf Club, one of the meanest short courses I've ever played...all 6200 yards of it. Greens were spectacular today.
[/quote]

Thank you for the photographs of Woodbridge. I played hundreds of rounds there many years ago. From 1966 though 1971, I was an F4 pilot stationed at RAF Woodbridge. The Club was very kind to us ... some sort of special membership. The holes look the same!

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='moony_12' timestamp='1404810035' post='9658033']
It's just outside of Oxford, its one of three clubs in England with 54 holes of championship golf.
[/quote]

I'll have to take a look at that, still haven't made it over to The Oxfordshire yet either.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1404817959' post='9658189']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1402069037' post='9442743']
Woodbridge Golf Club, one of the meanest short courses I've ever played...all 6200 yards of it. Greens were spectacular today.
[/quote]

Thank you for the photographs of Woodbridge. I played hundreds of rounds there many years ago. From 1966 though 1971, I was an F4 pilot stationed at RAF Woodbridge. The Club was very kind to us ... some sort of special membership. The holes look the same!
[/quote]

You're welcome! I've played it three times now and enjoyed it very much, but it is a tough one. I am going to make an effort to get over there a few more times as it's only an hour away, I just wish we could get on over the weekend. They currently only allow visitors M-F, and our pro at Lakenheath has a real chip on his shoulder in regard to Woodbridge...his dad was stationed there too and he played a lot of golf there growing up, but doesn't seem to have fond memories of it. I dont have very fond memories of my father's club either (stuffy/older members mostly), and it was a flat, 6400 yard Florida course with tricked up greens. Learning to play with persimmon, blades, & balata didn't help.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

67VIP. I'm a member at Frilford Heath, if you like old fashioned style English clubs you'd love Frilford. I also used to be a member at The Oxfordshire, it's very much an American style course with big bunkers, large greens and loads of water. If you do get over to The Oxfordshire try and go on a day when there is not too much wind, it can be brutal if the win's up!

Give me a shout if you fancy a game at Frilford.

[quote name='ry1808' timestamp='1404916093' post='9666067']
67VIP. I'm a member at Frilford Heath, if you like old fashioned style English clubs you'd love Frilford. I also used to be a member at The Oxfordshire, it's very much an American style course with big bunkers, large greens and loads of water. If you do get over to The Oxfordshire try and go on a day when there is not too much wind, it can be brutal if the win's up!

Give me a shout if you fancy a game at Frilford.
[/quote]

Thank you I appreciate that. I looked up the club on the internet and looks very interesting...I really like the heathland courses. Sunningdale, Woodhall Spa, Walton Heath, Woodbridge, Luffenham Heath all were terrific. But I also really liked London Golf Club, Woburn, and The Grove too...and of course the links: Royal Cromer, Sheringham, Hunstanton, St Andrews New/Castle/Eden/Jubilee. I guess you could say they're like blondes/brunettes/redheads...it's all good.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

My golf buds are having a laugh at my expense now...only because I was stupid enough to tell on myself. This past weekend was the 4th of July so I was off 4.5 days in a row...so played alot of golf in the morning and drank alot in the evening...unfortunately I don't have as high a tolerance for Innis and Gunn as I do for Vodka, Heineken, or Bombardier. So somewhere during the weekend I noticed Golfsmith had a sale and I managed to buy myself a set of Callaway 2013 X Forged irons with project x pi 5.5 shafts...which I needed like a hole in the head. Everybody that knows me is aware of how much i adored MacGregor forged irons; currently game a beautiful set of 1025m VIPs, and otherwise despise hi-tech/hollow body/offset/game improvement irons. The callies are a very nice looking set of irons that I've never seen in person, was not fitted for, etc....however, they may well be the last of a dying breed of pure/solid/forged blades with very little offset. It will be quite intersting to see how much effort it will take to get them dialed in...I already know they will need to be bent 1.5 degrees flat, regripped with four wraps of tape, and sensicore installed. But if I can hit the 3 iron higher and farther with less effort...then game on. That's probably what did it--too much Innis and Gunn and wishing I was 35 again.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1404940809' post='9668833']
My golf buds are having a laugh at my expense now...only because I was stupid enough to tell on myself. This past weekend was the 4th of July so I was off 4.5 days in a row...so played alot of golf in the morning and drank alot in the evening...unfortunately I don't have as high a tolerance for Innis and Gunn as I do for Vodka, Heineken, or Bombardier. So somewhere during the weekend I noticed Golfsmith had a sale and I managed to buy myself a set of Callaway 2013 X Forged irons with project x pi 5.5 shafts...which I needed like a hole in the head. Everybody that knows me is aware of how much i adored MacGregor forged irons; currently game a beautiful set of 1025m VIPs, and otherwise despise hi-tech/hollow body/offset/game improvement irons. The callies are a very nice looking set of irons that I've never seen in person, was not fitted for, etc....however, they may well be the last of a dying breed of pure/solid/forged blades with very little offset. It will be quite intersting to see how much effort it will take to get them dialed in...I already know they will need to be bent 1.5 degrees flat, regripped with four wraps of tape, and sensicore installed. But if I can hit the 3 iron higher and farther with less effort...then game on. That's probably what did it--too much Innis and Gunn and wishing I was 35 again.
[/quote]

...and now the joke gets even funnier...just got emails from Golfsmith stating that the clubs are no longer available--a week after I ordered them! Don't know whether to sigh with relief or be pissed off...I was beginning to look forward to trying them out.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='Sumo' timestamp='1405407262' post='9702875']
67vip you're still over here aren't you? I picked up a new set two weeks ago from a place in Chester 4-pw for £300. I'll send you a link when I get into work later this morning if you're still interested.
[/quote]

Thanks Sumo, but I think I'm good. I just shot even par 72 for the second time ever this past Saturday with my ViPs, so if I have any brains at all I'll keep them in the bag and just go play. But I appreciate the thought. Just out of curiosity, if you could only play two of these courses which two would any of yall choose: Woking or Worplesdon, and Ashridge or Moor Park (High Course)? I'd like to do all four but may have to settle for one of each. I'd appreciate any recommendations...although I am leaning towards Moor Park as a must play destination.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Went back to Luffenham Heath yesterday afternoon to redeem my raincheck, good grief was it hot! I had already played 18 holes in a tourney at my home course, probably wasn't such a great idea for a second round but I did it anyway...utterly amazed I made it out of there without having a heat stroke. Played well enough to bag a 77, but couldn't believe how far the ball was flying yesterday...hit a four iron 222 yards to kick in range for an eagle in the morning round, then reached the 572 yard 18th at Luffenham with a driver and a three iron--a 261 yard three iron. I was trying to leave myself a short chip, couldn't figure out where the hell my ball went when I see it behind the green...nice bump to 18 inches leaves me a birdie and I can get in my car, blow the a/c ice cold all the way home to a shower and very cold .75 liter bottle of Innis & Gunn. I couldn't/didn't leave my couch today...watched Rory decimate the field at Hoylake. Hopefully he will finish it off in style on Sunday.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

A co-worker that I have played golf with on many occasions just got in the mail a pretty nice set of Mizuno MP-32s...can't say I wasn't wee bit envious, beautiful sticks. I dearly love my 1025m ViPs and it got me to thinking about my old set of ViP Tour CB-92s in the garage. My set is 1-PW and I played them from 1996 until about 2007-8, what a set of sticks they were. I hadn't looked at them in quite some time, so gave them a pretty good look see...and decided that they deserved to be brought back up to speed. So I am going to send the 2-PW off to the Iron Factory to be completely reworked (re-chromed, re-grooved, new shafts, loft & lie adjusted, etc). This is going to be really interesting...I've bought and sold a lot of clubs over the years, but never ever considering parting with these. To many memories, too many great shots from when I was a really good iron player. When the Iron Factory get's done with them they will be brand new, I just have to figure out what shaft to put in them...I'm thinking Dynamic Gold Pro or KBS Tour. I'll also reset the lofts back to original specs which is 20* on the two iron and 50* on the PW. I have a big match in Sept against Old Thorns and then a trip to St Andrews in Oct. Once I get past those two items then I will send these off for their makeover.

A month before I bought these irons I was at the MacGregor factory in Albany, Georgia and the warehouse manager on duty brought me back to the shipping area and opened a box up and showed me these wonderful sticks and I was hooked. I was Joe Nobody, but they were very nice to me in answering my endless questions and made me feel like I was Somebody. I guess I am and always will be a MacGregor kind of guy.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Just booked my long weekend at Old Thorns for our match with them in Sept, Thursday thru Sunday. Four days of great golf, food, and drink (I'm sure there will be a lot of that...God help me if they have Innis & Gunn there). By far the two greatest inventions of the Scots: golf and Innis & Gunn original oak aged beer--77 days in an oak bourbon/whiskey barrel. Gonna try and get on Woking or Ashridge on the way over...be nice to pull that off as a bonus.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 4 weeks later...

Went over to Woodbridge again yesterday for 27 holes of golf. Used the 9 hole Forest course as a warm up before heading out on the 18 hole Heath course. Paid off as I finally broke 80, shot 78 with 3 closing bogies...took 5 hours to play and I was stiff, sore, and worn out by the time I got to 16. Managed to stumble in with a score, but should have been much better...I actually hit the ball only so so, fought a draw all the way around but saved it with a good short game and some critical putts that dropped. Even had two birdies on the front which gave me a 38 going out, but I let six holes on the back get away from me.

Got a tee time at Ashridge for Monday, looking forward to that very much. Gonna try and get on Woking on the way over to Old Thorns in mid Sept since in that direction as well.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Ashridge Golf Club...what a wonderous taste of home, the topography has North Carolina all over it. I am so glad I finally made it over and played quite well to boot, carding a 77 with an eagle on the 505 yard par five 15th after a spectacular 220 yard 3 iron to four feet. Beautiful golf course, well worth the drive and effort to get on. Friendly staff and impressive club house and facilities...I would be very content to be a member at a course like this for the rest of my life. I'll have to make a return trip with a few golf mates to sample the food during the fall when the winter warmer kicks in...the staff said the catering is impressive. Looking forward to giving it a taste as well as a second trip around the course.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Moor Park on Friday, Braintree on Saturday, Old Thorns next week Thur-Sun. I am so looking forward to some downtime with a steady supply of golf and adult beverages that require ice or refrigeration. Innis & Gunn is becoming my kryptonite.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Moor Park Golf Club High Course...a very nice Harry Colt track with a great routing, superb bunkers & greens, but the fairways leave a little something to be desired. 30% of the fairways are dead or diseased, hence all the brown spots...maybe their greens superintendent should have a chat with the fella at Hadley Wood. On top of the course conditions, the twilight rate was 60£ ...that is excessive, especially compared to their competition, courses such as Ashridge, Hadley Wood, Hunstanton, Brocket Hall. If they can't do better condition wise, the price needs to come down...not a good deal at that price by any means. The High Course is 6600+ yards, with a few grown up par fours on it...mighty hard to hold still on a hard swing with no grass for your cleats to grip. I must say I was dissapointed with this one...don't expect to go back for a repeat visit.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Heading to Old Thorns on Thursday for four days of golf, drink, & revelry...can't wait. Planning in full swing for St Andrews 18-26 October, looking at Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, Gleneagles Kings Course, Panmure, and of course the three day ticket at St Andrews and the Old Course ballot. Looking forward to some sightseeing this time as well with a side trip to Edinburgh and roaming around the village of St Andrews.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Old Thorns Manor...7 rounds in 4 days. Three practice rounds, four matches in foursomes, fourball, & singles...don't want to see my clubs for about a week. Intriguing Peter Alliss design that has hosted Jack Nicklaus & Seve Ballasteros. Looking forward to spending 9 glorious days in St Andrews next month.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

St Andrews itinerary set: arrival w/possible round on St Andrews Links Eden course Sat, Oct 18th; Sun am The Dukes of St Andrews/pm Panmure Golf Club; Mon Old Course ballot or Links Trust courses (New/Castle/Jubilee), Tue Gleneagles Kings Course, Wed/Thur Old Course ballot or Links Trust courses, Fri Royal Aberdeen Balgownie Links, Sat Old Course ballot or Links Trust courses. Sun 26th departure.

The main idea is to hit the Old Course once and the New/Castle/Jubilee courses 2x each. I am most excited about the Gleneagles Kings Course, has been on my radar for a long time. Royal Aberdeen was very impressive on tv for the Scottish Open...looking forward to seeing it in person. If everything works out and can get two rounds on the New Course and Castle Course first, might possibly trade off the second round on the Jubilee for Carnoustie...if we can get a tee time, I'm not already worn out, and the weather holds. I'm really looking forward to this...nine days up there, couldn't ask for more.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

The Old will be a great experience, but you will probably decide at least one of the others, possibly the New, is a better course.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='mjtoal' timestamp='1412360131' post='10230611']
The Old will be a great experience, but you will probably decide at least one of the others, possibly the New, is a better course.
[/quote]

That's what I've heard from more than a few folks. The New was my favorite of the ones I played (New/Castle/Jubilee/Eden), but obviously the Castle is the most scenic. When I played Sunningdale I figured out fairly quickly I liked the New course better than the Old course...even the staff there said they thought it was a better test. If we luck out and get an early enough tee time on the Old Course I'd love to play the New Course right afterwards.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I was just there and was underwhelmed by the new and jubilee having played the old back in February. The opening and closing holes on both were a bit disappointing and cramped to me. They did both have nice holes once you got out a bit and things got going. However, after reading a lot of comments I was expecting more. For me I enjoyed the castle more than both but suspect I may be in the minority there! In fact we played Leven too and I preferred it to both the new and jubilee.

Just shows how subjective peoples thoughts on a course are.

I can understand that, several in our group did not like the New Course...but they had already played the Old, Castle, Jubilee, Gleneagles. Most of our guys really liked Gleneagles, and of course the Old Course.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Heading for St Andrews in less than 36 hours...can't wait. First up is The Dukes of St Andrews on Sunday morning...have heard a lot about this course lately and in one of our recent matches was told that it's a lovely course by someone who had recently played it. The pictures on the Old Course Hotel website look amazing...this is one of them. I guess I'm most enthused about the Gleneagles Kings Course and The Dukes...probably sacrilege in at least thirty different languages, but for whatever reason I seem to enjoy the heathland courses the most. In fact after seeing Sabram's post on The Berkshire I am making a real effort to get on the Red Course in November.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from six days of golfing heaven in Scotland. Played The Dukes of St Andrews, The Old Course at St Andrews, Gleneagles King's Course, Castle/New/Eden courses at St Andrews Links, & Royal Aberdeen Golf Club's Balgownie Links. By far the best courses were The Dukes, Gleneagles, & Royal Aberdeen. Best course at St Andrews Links is easily the New Course...even our Old Course caddie & every club staff member we talked to readily agreed. The Castle Course is clown golf...if they would flatten the greens it would be a much needed improvement to an otherwise beautiful golf couree. Got pin flags from Royal Aberdeen & The Old Course, a slew of yardage books, ball markers, logo balls, and a new AM&E putter cover with the Royal Aberdeen crest. Christmas definitely came early this year...no hiccups on this trip, couldn't ask for a better trip. On returning home I had a message waiting for me that said I'd be moving to the Pacific Northwest in the spring, so looks like I'll get a shot at Chambers Bay & Bandon Dunes in the near future.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 4 weeks later...

Played Hunstanton & Old Thorns this past week, Hunstanton was in amazing condition...got some spectacular photos with a real camera this time. I'd upload a couple but I am apparently out of space for this thread. Old Thorns was soaking wet from a continual bout of rain over the past week or so, but the guys I took with me really enjoyed the course. Great staff and members at Old Thorns. Not much time left over here, but I'll try and get a couple more clubs in...looking at Royal St George, Woking or Worplesdon, and The Berkshire. Need some viable weather, a little time from work, and a little luck to get them in, hopefully it will all work out.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Playing Royal St George's on Monday...can't wait! Weather looks as if it will cooperate so should be an enjoyable day. This will be my third course on the Open rota, although I have played three others used for the Senior Open...Royal Aberdeen, Walton Heath, & Sunningdale.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I don't know how I've missed this thread, but it is seriously one of the best I've seen in awhile. It's great to read about all the tracks you're playing in the UK. The pictures are icing on the cake. Just so many great designs.

I'm impressed. Again, thanks for all the pictures!

Shoot me a PM when you make it to the NW.

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1416721855' post='10490675']
I don't know how I've missed this thread, but it is seriously one of the best I've seen in awhile. It's great to read about all the tracks you're playing in the UK. The pictures are icing on the cake. Just so many great designs.

I'm impressed. Again, thanks for all the pictures!

Shoot me a PM when you make it to the NW.
[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it very much. Some of the guys that know me think I'm insane...but I viewed it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Some of the places I've been over here are just beyond belief such as Gleneagles Kings Course & Royal Aberdeen, and others were just not all that like St Andrews Old Course & The Belfry Brabazon. My personal favorites have become the heathland courses: Sunningdale/Walton Heath/Notts/Luffenham Heath/The Dukes of St Andrews (what a surprise that one was!). That's also why my last road trip rounds are targeted at Woking/The Berkshire/Worplesdon/Sherwood Forest...all heathland classics.

I'll have to head down to LA to pick up my MINI once I get over there, so my plan is to try & hit up Bandon Dunes on the way back...I'd love to play Bandon/Pacific Dunes & Old McDonald. Just hope it won't be in peak season yet. I already owe my soul to Amex, the only way I was able to pull this off was with Teeofftimes.co.uk, Open Fairways discount card, & a lot of winter warmer/twilight rate/off season rounds. But it has indeed been the experience of a lifetime.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Bagged Royal St George's today...had to borrow these photos as they were the smallest I could find to upload. I got a lot of great pix in similar conditions (but they are a megabyte each)...even managed to play fairly well. Tee'd off from the medal tees and it was playing every bit of 6600+ yards. 46*F and hardly a breath of wind with lots of sunshine made for an enjoyable day. I botched the front nine, several bladed shots with no warmup prior to the round...took us 3.5 hrs to get there. However; I managed to come home in a smooth 39 on the back with birdies on the 215 yard 11th after a 3 iron to about 12 feet and drained the putt, then a spectacular 180 yard 6 iron to 18 inches on the 436 yard 15th. I putted out on 18 for an 82...could have been much better under the circumstances with some decent ball striking...I just wasn't hitting it worth a damn until about the 8th hole...even bladed a nine iron for heaven's sake. Got on for an even 100 quid, spent about 40 quid in the pro shop on the usual yardage books, ball markers, logo balls. Got chastised for putting on our spikes in the visitors parking lot...they should have a sign up that says "visiting heathen rules" so the unwashed will know what is expected of them and don't piss in the potted plants. Had to stand at the front door of the clubhouse for about 4 minutes after ringing the bell marked "visitors," just to use the locker room. I drove out of the parking lot with my spikes on and changed on the sidewalk in Sandwich...i had a suspicion that if I saw the rules guy again the business side of me might make an appearance (Master Sergeant with 21 years service and five deployments) and say something totally inappropriate, but immensely satisfying. The club might be better served if this individual got laid on occaision and spent some quality time instructing club members on the proper technique for repairing ball marks...as they seem to feel it is either not required or somehow beneath them. But hey...otherwise it was a very nice day for golf; glad I played it but wouldn't do it again. I think it's a better track than the Old Course, but not as nice as Royal Aberdeen. Now back to the heathland courses I have come to enjoy the most.

w/KBS $-Taper 110