Another Yank moving to England looking for a Golf Club

67VIP

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ian 72' timestamp='1417313645' post='10519617']
Great observations and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding Gleneagles. James Braids Kings and Queens - though the Kings in particular - is a masterpiece and a venue of such theatre and magnificence that it is hard to be topped.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean...once we got to about the second or third hole on the Kings Course I was distracted to the point I almost didn't want to play, I just wanted to walk around and look at the course through a camera lens. If I ever make it back again the Kings would be my number one priority, closely followed by Royal Aberdeen. If I were lucky enough to live in St Andrews I'd be a member at The Dukes...I'm a huge fan of Blackwolf Run and The Dukes is a similar track.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1417321366' post='10520117']
[quote name='Ian 72' timestamp='1417313645' post='10519617']
Great observations and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding Gleneagles. James Braids Kings and Queens - though the Kings in particular - is a masterpiece and a venue of such theatre and magnificence that it is hard to be topped.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean...once we got to about the second or third hole on the Kings Course I was distracted to the point I almost didn't want to play, I just wanted to walk around and look at the course through a camera lens. If I ever make it back again the Kings would be my number one priority, closely followed by Royal Aberdeen. If I were lucky enough to live in St Andrews I'd be a member at The Dukes...I'm a huge fan of Blackwolf Run and The Dukes is a similar track.
[/quote]
Great choices. I have enjoyed your posts. Travel safely

Played Seacroft Golf Club today...nice links course near Skegness. Little bit chilly & breezy, but managed to hang on for a good score with two birdies on the back nine. Enjoyable course, would like another shot at it from the back tees in warmer weather. Supposed to be an English Top 100 course...not sure if that's warranted, might be a bit of a stretch with a course like Woodbridge no longer in the Top 100. Routing takes you straight out & back; similar to the Old Course at St Andrews, and a very sunny day most of the way around too. So now I've tee'd up at Seacroft, Hunstanton, Sheringham, Royal Cromer, Felixstowe, & Royal St George's...I guess I got the east coast covered.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

So now coming to the end of my final year in the UK...66 days left in country. I will so miss playing golf here, particularly the heathlands...Woodhall Spa, Sunningdale, Walton Heath, Luffenham Heath, The Dukes of St Andrews, Notts, Woodbridge, Ipswich, Gog Magog, Brocket Hall, Moor Park, Ashridge, and Gleneagles Kings Course. All may not fit the dictionary definition...but to me they had many of the same qualities. I will be moving to the state of Washington, which seems to have many of the same characteristics as the UK...how fitting. Throw in the fact I will be in the same town as Chambers Bay and only a few hours from Bandon Dunes...it could not be a better golfing destination. Hopefully I can return to this amazing country and continue the experience at some point.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Got a chance to finally demo the Callaway Apex Pro irons at Direct Golf in Cambridge yesterday...what a nice set of irons. I really liked the new KBS Tour V shaft...gives new life to this old boy about clinging to my long irons a while longer. The staff was kind enough to let me hit a three iron besides the demo six iron...very easy to hit and elevate, besides feeling incredibly smooth...and that was with small grips and no sensicore inserts! I'll wait until I can demo Taylormade's new RSI TP irons before I decide on a new set...I have come to the conclusion I need a smigeon more room for error, and as much as I love my ViPs--it's not there. I don't have the time to practice or play as much now, plus I sincerely doubt I will be able to devote as much time to golf once I move back to America. I guess I'll have to get used to a twice a week routine there...I've played 3-5× a week for YEARS. Time will tell. Still going to try and bag The Berkshire & Woking before I go.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='george1507' timestamp='1420282748' post='10678391']
Finally someone mentioned Moor Park. It's great isn't it?
[/quote]

Moor Park is a great track, it just wasn't in the best condition when I played it during the summer. The fairways were very splotchy, but the greens were great. I thought it was over-priced at 60 pounds on a twi-lite rate, especially in that condition. Ashridge was immaculate and I played it about a month earlier, and it was the same price.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

Only 18 days left in this magnificent country...but the golf Gods seem to be granting a final gift or two. Taking a friend to Walton Heath on Wed for a round on the Old Course. They have a winter special now for only 75 £ through the end of Feb...if you've never played there take advantage, thats a 50% discount. Going to try for Sunningdale next week as the same friend is wanting to hit up the Old Course there as well...just need a wee more cooperation from the weather. If we complete the double that'll be quite the finale'. All good things must come to an end...just wish this wasn't one of them, I have enjoyed my time here immensely.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Tee'd up the Old Course at Walton Heath today, managed to play fairly well and card an 82 on only my third 18 hole round since Dec 7th. The staff there graciously offered to let us play 9 holes on the New Course as well...which allowed me to complete a personal goal. I've now played the Old & New Courses at Sunningdale, Walton Heath, & St Andrews...makes for a hell of a triple crown.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

So I had a fair amount of time on my hands the last two days, along with some nice weather...spent a fair amount trying to figure out where to play. Even went so far as to call Royal Worlington...and lo and behold they offered me a tee time. But combining their 55 £ visitor fee and my current state of apathy, I couldn't muster any interest...ain't that a b****? I had just played Walton Heath for the triple/double as described above for only 75 quid, plus my imminent departure is mildly depressing...I guess I just didn't want to get wound up again. It's been a hell of a ride.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

I've been back in the states about a week now...hit balls twice and played once and it was butt ugly. Hopefully more reps will bring my game around. I have a tee time at Chambers Bay (2015 US Open) on Sunday 22 March, hopefully I can get it together by then. I just ordered a new set of custom Cobra Fly Z+ forged irons in 3-GW with KBS Tour V shafts, so maybe I'll luck out and they'll get here in time to practice for a week before I play Chambers Bay. Be interesting to see how it compares to links golf in the UK.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

Coming on two months back in the states now, played Chambers Bay and it was pretty impressive...should be quite photogenic on tv for the US Open. The folks at Sky Sports ruined me for watching golf tournaments on tv, they do a first class job week after week...not the same now with the Golf Channel. Also played a few other local gems called The Home Course and Gold Mountain Olympic Course...very nice indeed. Hopefully can make Bandon Dunes next year, would really like to spend some quality time there next spring. Looking forward to The Open at St Andrews, have BBC on the tele here so should get proper coverage for that one...the Masters & British Open have always been my two favourites to watch. I am in desperate need of a decent pint...cannot find one damn UK brand anywhere here. Moosehead & Fat Tire are good, but they aren't Bombardier or Innis & Gunn.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1429246571' post='11378747']
Coming on two months back in the states now, played Chambers Bay and it was pretty impressive...should be quite photogenic on tv for the US Open. The folks at Sky Sports ruined me for watching golf tournaments on tv, they do a first class job week after week...not the same now with the Golf Channel. Also played a few other local gems called The Home Course and Gold Mountain Olympic Course...very nice indeed. Hopefully can make Bandon Dunes next year, would really like to spend some quality time there next spring. Looking forward to The Open at St Andrews, have BBC on the tele here so should get proper coverage for that one...the Masters & British Open have always been my two favourites to watch. I am in desperate need of a decent pint...cannot find one damn UK brand anywhere here. Moosehead & Fat Tire are good, but they aren't Bombardier or Innis & Gunn.
[/quote]

Where's your new location VIP?

And, when do you plan to visit your old stomping grounds in NC?

cm

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

[/quote]

cm

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1429319900' post='11384563']
[/quote]

cm
[/quote]

I'm in Tacoma, Washington...first time in the Pacific Northwest. It's truly a beautiful area...golf here is relatively inexpensive too. I'm hoping to visit NC next year...I've never played in Pinehurst. I was stationed at Ft Bragg for a year and didn't even know what Pinehurst was...unfortunately. I will retire from active duty in three years and would love to live in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area...my wife may not allow that. North Carolina or South Carolina is just about a lock, though.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1429319900' post='11384563']
[/quote]

cm
[/quote]

I'm in Tacoma, Washington...first time in the Pacific Northwest. It's truly a beautiful area...golf here is relatively inexpensive too. I'm hoping to visit NC next year...I've never played in Pinehurst. I was stationed at Ft Bragg for a year and didn't even know what Pinehurst was...unfortunately. I will retire from active duty in three years and would love to live in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area...my wife may not allow that. North Carolina or South Carolina is just about a lock, though.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1429769090' post='11422645']
Did you ever play in Southport? Hillside, Birkdale, Formby etc. Thinking of playing a few heathland courses around London, stopping by Belfry before doing the West Coast.

Or I could just do 10 days of heathland!
[/quote]

Don't remotely bother with the Belfry. If you need to play near Birmingham play Little Aston instead. Copt Heath should be excellent if they are finished with their restoration, the work in progress when I was there was very very promising.

edit: 45 pounds for a buggy at the Belfry is just atrocious behaviour, can almost buy a fully functioning car for that.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1429769090' post='11422645']
Did you ever play in Southport? Hillside, Birkdale, Formby etc. Thinking of playing a few heathland courses around London, stopping by Belfry before doing the West Coast.

Or I could just do 10 days of heathland!
[/quote]

No I didn't...kills me I didn't hit up The Berkshire either. I did play Sunningdale Old/New, Walton Heath Old/New, The Grove, Stoke Park, London Golf Club, and Hadley Wood which all are in or border London. If you don't do anything else play Sunningdale Old & Walton Heath Old courses...phenomenal tracks and you'll have bragging rites for eternity. They are two of my top three I played during my four years in the UK...numero uno is Gleneagles Kings Course--it has no equal. I agree on the other post about The Belfry, skip it. If you want to do something like that go to Woburn and play the Dukes/Marquess combo or Woodhall Spa Hotchkins...all are superb. Or you could stay in the London area and play The Grove and London Golf Club International. If you want links golf try Hunstanton...I liked it better than Royal St George, I played both in the same week :).

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Thanks, Little Aston it is! Been reading the reviews of the Belfry and they are very hot and cold.

Yes, I played Sunningdale Old last year. What a course! My first experience of Healthland golf has whetted my appetite for more golf around that area.
Especially since I have recriprocal rights to Berkshire Red and Blue.

Pity it takes 24 hrs to get to London from Sydney.

How hard is it to get onto Swinley Forest?

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1429832357' post='11428723']
Thanks, Little Aston it is! Been reading the reviews of the Belfry and they are very hot and cold.

Yes, I played Sunningdale Old last year. What a course! My first experience of Healthland golf has whetted my appetite for more golf around that area.

[/quote]

I never tried, but I heard it's tough. Some other folks on board here might have a better idea. Ashridge is another fantastic course near London. Sunningdale is hosting the senior british open this year, so course conditions should be at their peak. If you didn't play Walton Heath Old yet, tee it up. They should be getting ready to host US Open qualifying shortly and the course will be immaculate. I played last year the week after and it was phenomenal, pictures are in this thread. If you fancy a road trip, head over to Norwich and you can knock off Royal Cromer, Sheringham, and Hunstanton...three superb links courses.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1429832357' post='11428723']

[/quote]

I hear the normal protocol is to have your clubs secretary/manager/pro write them a friendly letter of introduction and then see what happens. What normally goes into such a letter I have no idea.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Oh dear, not The Belfry unless you want to set a low hurdle against which to compare other courses.

For a visiting golfer wanting to see a nice smattering of English Golf, I would encourage sand belt and links courses. The sand belt/heath courses are mostly in Surrey and Berkshire (Walton Heath, Berkshire, Swinley, New Zealand, Sunningdale, Hankley, the three Ws etc), but there are also courses further up country like Beau Desert, Sherwood Forest, Ganton, and so on.

For links, the NW coast has a bunch (Birkdale, Lytham, Hoylake, Hillside, Formby, St Annes, and a few more), as well as other great courses dotted around. St Georges, Princes and Deal are all near enough each other and reachable from London.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

[quote name='mjtoal' timestamp='1429948551' post='11438171']
Oh dear, not The Belfry unless you want to set a low hurdle against which to compare other courses.

For a visiting golfer wanting to see a nice smattering of English Golf, I would encourage sand belt and links courses. The sand belt/heath courses are mostly in Surrey and Berkshire (Walton Heath, Berkshire, Swinley, New Zealand, Sunningdale, Hankley, the three Ws etc), but there are also courses further up country like Beau Desert, Sherwood Forest, Ganton, and so on.

For links, the NW coast has a bunch (Birkdale, Lytham, Hoylake, Hillside, Formby, St Annes, and a few more), as well as other great courses dotted around. St Georges, Princes and Deal are all near enough each other and reachable from London.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. English golf is defined by heathlands and links, the parklands much less so. There are some really good ones such as The Grove, Woburn, Stoke Park, and London Golf Club...but compared to English classics such as Sunningdale, Walton Heath, Woodhall Spa, Notts, Woodbridge, Royal St Georges, Hunstanton, Sheringham, Royal Cromer, and so forth...it just isn't the same.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the Itinerary is taking shape now. As luck would have it, I am in London the week of the Senior Open.

Sunningdale is out. Lucky I played the Old last year.

Monday - Walton Heath (New) - Old is out of play for the week. Still want to experience WH. Is the New worth playing on its own?

Tuesday - Royal St Georges

Thursday - Berkshire Red and Blue - Reciprocal so I am more than happy to play 36 there. Heard great things about the lunch there.

Friday - St George's Hill (27 holes)

Would anyone change the courses chosen?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1431411536' post='11543368']
OK, the Itinerary is taking shape now. As luck would have it, I am in London the week of the Senior Open.

Monday - Walton Heath (New) - Old is out of play for the week. Still want to experience WH. Is the New worth playing on its own?

Thursday - Berkshire Red and Blue - Reciprocal so I am more than happy to play 36 there. Heard great things about the lunch there.

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I wouldn't, it looks like a great rotation. Walton Heath New is a highly regarded course, and just so you know...the 1981 Ryder Cup was played over a mixed routing of both the Old/New courses. I seriously regret I did not get on The Berkshire before I left, but everything I heard is it's a wonderful 36 hole layout. Royal St George...all I can say is don't put your spikes on in the parking lot, they have a thing about that. Nice course, but they ARE a snooty bunch. St George's Hill I didn't play either, but again it has a sterling reputation. I think you did very well, my only suggestion would be if you wanted to add a course I'd think about one of the superior parkland courses such as London Golf Club, The Grove, Stoke Park, or add one other links course such as Hunstanton. I am envious...I'm suffering from serious heathland withdrawal symptoms.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1431411536' post='11543368']

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

As 67VIP, good choices. You have a set of premium courses and will also get a lot of local character thrown in too.

As for other choices, depends a bit where you are staying. There are a bunch of other sand belt courses in the rough area that The Berkshire is on, including Swinley Forest, The three Ws (West Hill, Worplesdon and Woking), Hankley Common, the Edinburgh Course at Wentworth and others, and there are also some nice links near RSG, including Royal Cinque Ports (aka Deal), which is a much more down to earth place than RSG. Personally, I would skip the modern parkland courses. Of those, Stoke Park is nice, especially for fans of James Bond.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome