2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Another Yank moving to England looking for a Golf Club

67VIP

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I can't understand the big gap in rankings between Walton Heath New and Old.

I still have Wed free so will add one more to the Rota!

Do any of you have any recommendations for accommodation somewhere between Berkshire and St George's Hill? I was maybe looking at Windsor. Approx 25 min drive from both places.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1431475970' post='11548544']

Do any of you have any recommendations for accommodation somewhere between Berkshire and St George's Hill? I was maybe looking at Windsor. Approx 25 min drive from both places.
[/quote]

The only place I've stayed down there is the Old Thorns Manor Inn. Great hotel, wonderful food, and some good friends I made there.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

[/quote]

To answer the other question in regard to the difference between Walton Heath Old/New...the Old has been lengthened to host US Open qualifying and the Senior British Open, in tournament form it's a magnificent beast. Sunningdale does not have the room for that...but the Old Course stands up well as a Senior/Ladies British Open site.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[/quote]

What is your budget and preference for luxury or utilitarian functionality?

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Have heard good things from people who have stayed at the Berystede near Ascot.

[url="http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-berystede-hotel-spa/"]http://www.macdonald...tede-hotel-spa/[/url]

Also check the Royal Berkshire

[url="http://www.ehvenues.com/royalberkshire/the-venue/"]http://www.ehvenues....hire/the-venue/[/url]
The best option quality wise would be Coworth Park in Ascot but that is severely severely expensive.

I'm unsure about any hotels in Windsor but it probably is the best area to get dinner in the evening.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1432702816' post='11633760']
Been searching through Trip Advisor. A lot of the places around Sunningdale are booked out. I assume due to the Senior Open.

I was looking at the Brooklands which is a modern hotel in Weybridge. Right near St Georges Hill.

I'll check out Berystede. Thanks!
[/quote]

Looking at your itinerary and playing Royal St George's & Walton Heath, you might consider staying somewhere near the southern perimeter of m25. If you're driving to RSG, the trip can be a pain on the loop, but it'll be worth it to come and go as you please. If you're still having trouble finding a place I'd still recommend Old Thorns...its off the A3 away from all the hustle of the M, but with easy access in either direction to your intended rounds. Good food, nice rooms, multiple bars, and a respectable golf course of its own. I would double check with Walton Heath as you get closer to your arrival, the Old Course may open up. They just had US Open qualifying, and they do not host British Open qualifying so can't imagine why they'd shut it down for a week in peak season. I am green with envy...so miss English golf.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1432764918' post='11638656']
[quote name='Mike T' timestamp='1432702816' post='11633760']
Been searching through Trip Advisor. A lot of the places around Sunningdale are booked out. I assume due to the Senior Open.

I was looking at the Brooklands which is a modern hotel in Weybridge. Right near St Georges Hill.

I'll check out Berystede. Thanks!
[/quote]

Looking at your itinerary and playing Royal St George's & Walton Heath, you might consider staying somewhere near the southern perimeter of m25. If you're driving to RSG, the trip can be a pain on the loop, but it'll be worth it to come and go as you please. If you're still having trouble finding a place I'd still recommend Old Thorns...its off the A3 away from all the hustle of the M, but with easy access in either direction to your intended rounds. Good food, nice rooms, multiple bars, and a respectable golf course of its own. I would double check with Walton Heath as you get closer to your arrival, the Old Course may open up. They just had US Open qualifying, and they do not host British Open qualifying so can't imagine why they'd shut it down for a week in peak season. I am green with envy...so miss English golf.
[/quote]Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to take the train from London for Walton Heath and fast train to RSG. And then stay at Windsor (or thereabouts) for 2 nights to play Berkshire and SGH. I prefer to stay in the city when I can! I know what you mean by missing English golf. Didn't think I would be back for a long time after playing Sunningdale last year. Was toying with playing on the West Coast (Formby, Birkdale etc), but it was less travel and courses are all new to me around London. Getting on an Open course was the clincher this trip. Still need to do Southport / Liverpool and West coast of Scotland in the next 10 years.

• 6 months later...

My first Christmas in the states in four years...good to be home, but something is missing. Having wandered around Tacoma/Seattle now for nine months I have come to the conclusion that golf isnt as much fun here as in the UK. Ambiance is the missing ingredient...the first does not equal the second, in no shape, form, or fashion. The beer isn't as good either, but I can live with that...I think?

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

My first Christmas in the states in four years...good to be home, but something is missing. Having wandered around Tacoma/Seattle now for nine months I have come to the conclusion that golf isnt as much fun here as in the UK. Ambiance is the missing ingredient...the first does not equal the second, in no shape, form, or fashion. The beer isn't as good either, but I can live with that...I think?

Thank you very much for your efforts on this post - have just read the entire lot.....in one sitting!!

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Thank you very much for your efforts on this post - have just read the entire lot.....in one sitting!!

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Thank you benden...it was the experience of a lifetime. I was always foaming at the mouth heading out to play a British course, especially the ones that were close to where I lived such as Hunstanton, Woodbridge, Hadley Wood, Royal Cromer, Sheringham, Woburn, & Woodhall Spa. Now here in the Seattle/Tacoma...not so much. I'd come back in a heartbeat if I had the means. At least I've finally found a club to join; The Home Course in Dupont, which will provide a little extra motivation--I hope. Pictures are from this past fall.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...

Bandon Dunes in 16 days...the comparison will be interesting. Scrolling thru photos in my phone from Royal Aberdeen, Royal St Georges, St Andrews, Hunstanton, Sheringham, & Royal Cromer brought back a lot of memories. Can't wait to get over there, rain or shine. Having recently played Chambers Bay for the third time I've decided it's not something I'm particularly fond of...too much like The Castle Course at St Andrews.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 5 months later...

I didn't read thru the whole thread....sorry, if this is posted somewhere else - but can someone clarify this for a Yank :taunt:

"Three and four ball golf is permitted on Mondays and Thursdays. On all other days two ball golf is the only permitted format (singles or foursomes)"

Posted on the Royal Cinque Ports website. Just the terminology is confusing...but if I understand - that "two ball golf" means EITHER 2 players only playing their own balls OR 4 players playing Foursomes (aka - Alternate shot here in the States).

So the only days that 4 players can all play their own ball is Mon & Thurs??

Thanks!

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

You have that correct. It used to be a very common setup at traditional English clubs and some of the top-tier ones still do it. I believe Sandwich has a similar policy. Three or four balls only two days a week.

These are clubs whose members detest slow play more than any place I've ever seen in USA. Four-ball days tend to also be the days they book most societies and tourist-group rounds. They figure two days a week pace of play is going to suck but reserve the other five days for playing in the way they're accustomed to.

Are you planning a trip there soon? It's been quite a while since my last visit but I would love to once again do the Deal/Sandwich/Princes combo for a week. It's all just soooo pricey nowadays.

P.S. Last time I was there Princes (which is honestly more like a USA semi-private than the other two) did not have any two-ball-only days.

I was able to get on Royal St George's for 100 pds in Dec 2014, and it was a beautiful, crystal clear day and about 45* F with no wind. You definitely need to check with the club and make sure you are not booking a two ball time when you have a foursome. I never got stuck with that, but it does limit your available tee times. I spent most of my time of the heathland and parkland courses, played my share of links golf but after awhile they start to look a lot alike.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Bandon Dunes in 16 days...the comparison will be interesting. Scrolling thru photos in my phone from Royal Aberdeen, Royal St Georges, St Andrews, Hunstanton, Sheringham, & Royal Cromer brought back a lot of memories. Can't wait to get over there, rain or shine. Having recently played Chambers Bay for the third time I've decided it's not something I'm particularly fond of...too much like The Castle Course at St Andrews.

From my Bandon visit in March, forgot I didn't post these...most are from Pacific Dunes & Old MacDonald.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 2 years later...

To this day, still the most iconic course I've played & photographed...the Kings Course at Gleneagles. Give me the heathlands and highlands all day long...

w/KBS $-Taper 110

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

VIP. Read through most of the thread...jealous as I’m in Germany and have made several trips to the UK just this year. Sounds like you made the most of you time there.

Did you ever play Royal Worlington? Just outside the Midenhall gate...only was able to play there once on a quick stop over. Such a great course.

I tried almost a dozen times, the person on the other end of the phone never really gave me the time of day. I heard it was supposed to THE NINE HOLE COURSE on the planet, but I just didn't bother after a while. They wouldn't let our club pro play because he had a beard...a little too stuffy for me.

w/KBS $-Taper 110