2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Reality Sucks

or...old age and ego
Last Saturday I was at my local golf store and noticed a nice looking i15 on the used rack. Pulled it down and it had a x-stiff shaft in it! While I'm getting older, I still swing harder than most my age and currently play a x shaft in both my driver and three wood. BUT, this is the same shaft Hunter Mahan(sp) uses, and I know for a fact he swings harder than I. But hey, I swing pretty hard too! ;)

So, just for grins, I get on the launch monitor, warm up with a few balls and then 'go for score'. Average was 119 with a couple over 120. Wow, I thought, this extra long shaft really works! (I play a 44.5 in my Titleist, and this was a good inch longer). We figured I was at the bottom of the range necessary to really utilize this shaft, but what the heck.

I bought it.

Played it the next day, Sunday, and had a pretty good round overall, but was constantly fighting the right side with this thing. I knew going in that the i15 was a 'anti-left' club, but man, it was tough to get a few going straight. Distance wise I was right there with my old Titleist, but no longer. Only hit three drives straight all day. Most were power fades (or worse) to the right.

Took it back last night and got on the launch monitor. Couldn't get over 113 with the thing. I had most of the excuses, long day, tired, no warm-up, etc., etc.. But still... Apparently, this Old Fart can't swing a club that fast for more than a few swings. I get tired. Waaah... I want my diaper changed. ;)

I returned it.

I guess I'll stick with what I have for now, but I better start looking for some new softer shafts soon. Aparently, I'm getting old(er). Worse, I thought I was impervious to such mundane stuff. Such it the Male Ego.

Doesn't mean I'll grow up though. :D

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I know what you're talking about, but I can kind of relate. My father-in-law who is a pretty decent stick (sandbagger!!) mentioned to me this past weekend that he thinks he going to move to a "senior" flex next year. He plays stiff shafts now, and with coming off a hip replacement, he needs something with a little more give in it. I'm actually surprised it didn't take him longer to realize he probably needed to tone it down a notch, but I was impressed with his ability to swallow his ego a bit and move it down a flex...maybe even two if he decided on senior vs. regular.

Congrats on coming to terms and choking that ego down...it's tough sometimes. But, more than likely your golf game will improve and you'll be happy you made the swtich. Especially when you start beating the pants off the guys who still want to swing those X-flex shafts and have <100mph swings.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• 2 months later...

The only time I tried an X shaft was the last time I was looking for new irons. As you mention, we male golfers do have our egos, so I pulled out a used iron that had a Rifle 6.0 and the same club with DG300. The Rifle felt like a telephone pole. I'm perfectly happy with the DGS300 for now. But will reconsider with my next set of irons trying R300.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='wrmiller' timestamp='1288709328' post='2770320']
Last Saturday I was at my local golf store and noticed a nice looking i15 on the used rack. Pulled it down and it had a x-stiff shaft in it! While I'm getting older, I still swing harder than most my age and currently play a x shaft in both my driver and three wood. BUT, this is the same shaft Hunter Mahan(sp) uses, and I know for a fact he swings harder than I. But hey, I swing pretty hard too! ;)

So, just for grins, I get on the launch monitor, warm up with a few balls and then 'go for score'. Average was 119 with a couple over 120. Wow, I thought, this extra long shaft really works! (I play a 44.5 in my Titleist, and this was a good inch longer). We figured I was at the bottom of the range necessary to really utilize this shaft, but what the heck.

I bought it.

Played it the next day, Sunday, and had a pretty good round overall, but was constantly fighting the right side with this thing. I knew going in that the i15 was a 'anti-left' club, but man, it was tough to get a few going straight. Distance wise I was right there with my old Titleist, but no longer. Only hit three drives straight all day. Most were power fades (or worse) to the right.

Took it back last night and got on the launch monitor. Couldn't get over 113 with the thing. I had most of the excuses, long day, tired, no warm-up, etc., etc.. But still... Apparently, this Old Fart can't swing a club that fast for more than a few swings. I get tired. Waaah... I want my diaper changed. ;)

I returned it.

I guess I'll stick with what I have for now, but I better start looking for some new softer shafts soon. Aparently, I'm getting old(er). Worse, I thought I was impervious to such mundane stuff. Such it the Male Ego.

Doesn't mean I'll grow up though. :D

Enjoyed your story!

I'm 54 and have a 78 mph club head speed. Put True Temper Lite shafts (Seniors Flex) in my 1953-55 MacGregor Tourney M85 persimmon woods and using a Srixon low compression soft cover ball "regularly" hit 240 yards with the driver. Male ego? I have one BUT keeping it in the fairways and/or on the greens keeps me coming back.
Max

"One Day At a Time"