2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

HOUSTON WRXER'S POST HERE!

achu28

You got it. See you there. I think it would be good for you and my brother to talk some, also.

Probably would be!

Tony congrats to you and Gerald on the match wins. One year the same thing happened to me at the State Junior Match-Play in College Station. You guys need to tell people that your opponents no showed when they found out who they were playing. How far down the bracket until you guys could match up?

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Kiran and I are playing Timber Creek tomorrow ...

Timber Creek used to have the best looking cart babes in the Houston areabek152.gif.....haven't been there in a while...

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I guess Kiran and Rick are hiding today but we had a great round yesterday at Timber Creek, we were able to get in 27. Rick's brother Kyle works down there and got to play with us also. The course was in very nice shape though some of the tee boxes were a bit shaggy. I had not been down to Timber Creek in several years but forgot how close to town it really is, it's just outside the beltway.

The day just made my life harder as I can't tell which I hit better, the FT-3, Tony Chu Special or the R5 TP Tour Issue. I am leaning towards the FT-3 only because I think the softer shaft in it is better for me. I was torn after the poor driving round I had at Colonial so hopefully the Callaway will be my friend again.

I guess Kiran and Rick are hiding today but we had a great round yesterday at Timber Creek, we were able to get in 27. Rick's brother Kyle works down there and got to play with us also. The course was in very nice shape though some of the tee boxes were a bit shaggy. I had not been down to Timber Creek in several years but forgot how close to town it really is, it's just outside the beltway.

The day just made my life harder as I can't tell which I hit better, the FT-3, Tony Chu Special or the R5 TP Tour Issue. I am leaning towards the FT-3 only because I think the softer shaft in it is better for me. I was torn after the poor driving round I had at Colonial so hopefully the Callaway will be my friend again.

I had to go panhandle some before work to make my money back from the first 9 alone, so I had a full day. :cheesy:

Sam ate us alive on the first and third 9s, but we kept it from turning into a check writing session to pay off the debts after all was said and done.

BTW, I looked at the scorecard, and out of 26 holes (20 once my brother joined us), there were only 7 holes won outright. It was a little lopsided once we finished, but it could have gone anyone's way with all of the carries. It was good to get out and play some and the TC's didn't disappoint, but they didn't exactly dazzle me, either....

Now, if my brother would just see the light and get X flex shafts in his clubs, we could all be in trouble. The fact that he still hits that FT3 with a 2 iron-length ProLite, and carries it further than any of us max out off the tee is simply disturbing.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

Rick I would be more worried about teaching your brother some patience and short game first. :idhitit:

Bingo. He's a very streaky player. I have seen him chip and putt unconsciously at times, but other days he's a 15 hcp. around the greens.

I used to hit it as far as I could then go find it, hopefully. I finally learned that keeping it somewhat in play does a lot for your game, especially if you hit the ball a long way. I also used to hit the ball a lot longer with every club in my bag than I do now, but much less accurate, and I finally got sick of shooting an 85 after being even through 8 or 9 holes, only to start hitting it all over the world and not backing it down a notch or two in order to find each shot.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

I guess Kiran is still in a drunken stupor over the Astros giving Roy a long term deal. No matter what happens the rest of the year I now have faith once again. Roy locked up, Lance locked up, Andy coming back and a reduced salary, and I have from a good source that Roger will probably do the same thing he did this season. Now they need to make that big free agent splash and I don't want Carlos Lee, listening to the radio in Dallas last week and looking at stats he has been a dud, a very expensive dud.

Give me Soriano, even if he can't field for crap. You know he will hit 45 homers and steal the same. I also think Carlos Guillen is a free agent, I know he has had a down year and it supposed to be a jerk but so was Jeff Kent and we know how that went.

I am sure that everyone has big holiday plans but is anyone free to play on Tuesday?

Also can any of you guys recommend a course in the Aspen or Vail area when I am living it up next week with the Chu Class of the world.

man, take me along in your suitcase! sounds fun....is your gf allowed to go too?

Can't Tuesday, will be coming back into town that afternoon and have to catch up on work....some people don't get to hang out around golf clubs and courses all the time!

I am sure that everyone has big holiday plans but is anyone free to play on Tuesday?

Also can any of you guys recommend a course in the Aspen or Vail area when I am living it up next week with the Chu Class of the world.

Vail Golf Club is not bad....friendly fairways, good shape as of early August.

Have not played it, but Red Sky Ranch is supposed to be pretty nice. Tom Fazio/Greg Norman design.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I guess Kiran is still in a drunken stupor over the Astros giving Roy a long term deal. No matter what happens the rest of the year I now have faith once again. Roy locked up, Lance locked up, Andy coming back and a reduced salary, and I have from a good source that Roger will probably do the same thing he did this season. Now they need to make that big free agent splash and I don't want Carlos Lee, listening to the radio in Dallas last week and looking at stats he has been a dud, a very expensive dud.

Give me Soriano, even if he can't field for crap. You know he will hit 45 homers and steal the same. I also think Carlos Guillen is a free agent, I know he has had a down year and it supposed to be a jerk but so was Jeff Kent and we know how that went.

I'm still pissed about Beltran......he wanted to stay in Houston...

man, take me along in your suitcase! sounds fun....is your gf allowed to go too?

Can't Tuesday, will be coming back into town that afternoon and have to catch up on work....some people don't get to hang out around golf clubs and courses all the time!

Actually don't laugh but the only reason I can go on this trip is because Famous Footwear has my mom up in Colorado running some stores for a month. They have her at some fancy ski resort with a huge condo. Everything is paid for so I figure I might as well go see the mountains. I have never been in that part of the country so I am actually going to drive and go out through The Panhandle, through New Mexico, and then up through Colorado. I don't know when I will see that area again so I might as well take advantage of it.

Now I will be in Colorado though for Texas/Ohio St. so I have been calling around the last hour or so to make sure that I can find a bar that will have the game. I have never seen real mountains but won't miss that game for some silly a** mountains.

I won't name names but while we work a certain quick-witted friend who went to UT will be enjoying himself at HotStix. This friend also is on a first name basis with everyone at HotStix so it's pretty easy to figure out who this might be.

what's hot stix? is it something golf-related?

I don't know Tony, what's in say on credit card statements?

Vail Golf Club is not bad....friendly fairways, good shape as of early August.

Have not played it, but Red Sky Ranch is supposed to be pretty nice. Tom Fazio/Greg Norman design.

Thanks Todd, a Fazio/Norman design piques my interest right off the bat.

I'm still pissed about Beltran......he wanted to play in Houston...

Beltran would look pretty spicy in this line-up.

oh my god, just fly there...it'll be much faster and cheaper. bring your clubs and greens there are near impossible to read compared to here. a straight-looking 3 footer could break hard either way depending on where the valley is. as a matter of fact, i think i bought a new putter right after i played there last time.....

Actually don't laugh but the only reason I can go on this trip is because Famous Footwear has my mom up in Colorado running some stores for a month. They have her at some fancy ski resort with a huge condo. Everything is paid for so I figure I might as well go see the mountains. I have never been in that part of the country so I am actually going to drive and go out through The Panhandle, through New Mexico, and then up through Colorado. I don't know when I will see that area again so I might as well take advantage of it.

Now I will be in Colorado though for Texas/Ohio St. so I have been calling around the last hour or so to make sure that I can find a bar that will have the game. I have never seen real mountains but won't miss that game for some silly a** mountains.

I did that drive many times while I was at the USAFA. You get to see a lot of interesting terrain changes. I wouldn't want to do it by myself though - always had friends along that made the ride bearable. Many memorable miles driven down US 77, between running out of gas in Floydada and seeing an Antelope outrun our car in eastern New Mexico.

I know someone that lives in Aspen. PM sent.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

oh my god, just fly there...it'll be much faster and cheaper. bring your clubs and greens there are near impossible to read compared to here. a straight-looking 3 footer could break hard either way depending on where the valley is. as a matter of fact, i think i bought a new putter right after i played there last time.....

Come on Tony like I said I can't see a reason to be in that area again so I want to make the drive, it seems like fun. Due to my Gulf Coast upbringing The Hill Country is Mountainous Terrain to me so I am looking forward to making this trip, plus I plan on playing hole in the wall golf courses along the way.

I did that drive many times while I was at the USAFA. You get to see a lot of interesting terrain changes. I wouldn't want to do it by myself though - always had friends along that made the ride bearable. Many memorable miles driven down US 77, between running out of gas in Floydada and seeing an Antelope outrun our car in eastern New Mexico.

Keith I am very comfortable in saying that no punk a** antelope will outrun my car, I will get all 4 cylinders moving to make sure no animals passes me.

I just got an e-mail from Tony, he was about to board for Phoenix and will post pics and info tonight about his HotStix fitting. I really have to give Tony credit, despite his vast wealth he chooses to fly commercial like the rest of us, what a class act! :idhitit:

I am pretty sure that HotStix has his credit card number on file, you have got to love a guy that sends his clubs 1200 miles just to get regripped.

I plan on playing hole in the wall golf courses along the way.

I would not consider it a hole in the wall golf course, but I would definitely plan on stopping in Lubbock and playing the Texas Tech Rawls Course, I am up here visiting the Grandparents with the little one and played there yesterday. Unbelievable that it is impossible to find a level lie anywhere on a course in Lubbock, they moved a lot of dirt to build it!

I plan on playing hole in the wall golf courses along the way.

I would not consider it a hole in the wall golf course, but I would definitely plan on stopping in Lubbock and playing the Texas Tech Rawls Course, I am up here visiting the Grandparents with the little one and played there yesterday. Unbelievable that it is impossible to find a level lie anywhere on a course in Lubbock, they moved a lot of dirt to build it!

I thought about going up through Lubbock to play it, that's a Tom Doak design isn't it?

I am now trying my 785th 3 wood combo. See below.

14 gram weight in toe slot, to stop the hook.

Wish me luck, although I am sure that it will be in vain.

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

Oh yeah,

This is how my luck has been lately, on vacation this week with plans to golf and visit area golf shops for the real bargins.

But, I have been sick for the past three days with some weird stomach virus.

I am sure that I will be well in time to return to work next week.

Glynn

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

Oh yeah,

This is how my luck has been lately, on vacation this week with plans to golf and visit area golf shops for the real bargins.

But, I have been sick for the past three days with some weird stomach virus.

I am sure that I will be well in time to return to work next week.

Glynn

Have you been around little kids? Drew claims that his oldest daughter brought home a mutant strain of bacteria from the Montessori School and he is near death.

Business has definitely picked up for me in the last week or two with school starting.

Drew - you're really still sick? I guess its an easy way to lose a few pounds. If the Montessori school has really small kids (as in still wearing diapers), it could be rotavirus. My son got a case of it his last week in daycare earlier in the year.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Business has definitely picked up for me in the last week or two with school starting.

Drew - you're really still sick? I guess its an easy way to lose a few pounds. If the Montessori school has really small kids (as in still wearing diapers), it could be rotavirus. My son got a case of it his last week in daycare earlier in the year.

Drew's other problem is that he works in that scenic area near Northline Mall. When you go to lunch Lord only knows what kind of parasites you are putting in your body.

Aside from sinus problems I have never been sick much in my life but when I was a freshman in high school my mom started volunteer teaching at church and for about 2 years I stayed sick from the crap she was always bringing home. My dad finally made her stop because of that, we were all constantly sick.

That's a 2,000+ mile round trip, Sam....none too cheap with today's pump prices. The "exciting" part of the drive is Houston-to-Dallas, then it gets really boring7.gif. And, if your car breaks down outside of the yellow city (Amarillo) it may be weeks before we find you ;) ..........where men are men and sheep are scared. :idhitit:

You'd probably save money flying to Denver and renting a compact-----might save your manhood, as well. The drive doesn't get interesting until Invesco Field, anyway.