2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

HOUSTON WRXER'S POST HERE!

achu28

I was just glancing at the City Am pairings and saw that Tony has 8:54 at Wildcat, this is the day he was supposed to play with us so now we are back trieing to get up a game for anyone interested. Anyone wanting to play Wednesday afternoon please let me know.

I also like at Meadowbrook Farms the 9:21 pairing with Rick Schneider followed by a 9:30 pairing with Drew Standley. Drew will be trieing to hit into you all day Rick but then will realize that he is not as long as he thinks he is.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like at Meadowbrook Farms the 9:21 pairing with Rick Schneider followed by a 9:30 pairing with Drew Standley. Drew will be trieing to hit into you all day Rick but then will realize that he is not as long as he thinks he is.

Want to go be their little gallery Sam? We can golf clap and everything.

No offense to them or anyone else but not a chance in hell!!!!

I was just glancing at the City Am pairings and saw that Tony has 8:54 at Wildcat, this is the day he was supposed to play with us so now we are back trieing to get up a game for anyone interested. Anyone wanting to play Wednesday afternoon please let me know.

Well, since I'll be hitting hybrid off of almost every tee, he shouldn't have a problem. :kewlpics:

I played Meadowbrook yesterday morning, and the course is in good shape, except for a few of the bunkers. Greens are REALLY good. I don't like the idea of split tees (but I understand). 16 and 18 are good risk reward type holes at the end of the round, so if needed you could take a chance to try and make up a couple of shots coming in, or play them completely safe for a relatively easy par. Not really true with the finishing holes on the front 9, especially 8 - that one really eats at me for some reason. I hit three balls there yesterday, and every one was the same chicken-$hi+ push (right is bad, left is REALLY bad).

I also noticed Rich Petru on there who was an infielder at A&M while I was there.

Good luck Drew, and be sure and yell fore.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

My goal is to not touch a golf club until that morning. I'm working on over 2 weeks right now. Should be good for my game and a better story when I qualify. It's not good enough for me to make it, but to make it after a 4 week hiatus where all I did was change diapers, lose sleep, and touch myself would be so sweet.

Rick, I play bomb and gouge style golf so as long as you are in the fairway there's nothing to worry about.

Rick a piece of advice is know the holes. 15 Is the short par 4, 16 is the longish par 4. Remember that 16 if the pin is back right there is basically no green back there.

Alright, smart-Word not allowed, you're correct. For some reason, I always forget about 16 and think 15 is #16. Regardless, I don't like going off #10 to start my day, but I do like the idea of playing 1 thru 3 after having already played 9 holes. I don't care if I hit 100 balls before I tee off, I don't really get comfortable on the course for a few holes, so that may be to my benefit since they should be relatively easy except for the fact that they are the first two holes on the course. We'll see. If I hit it like I did yesterday, there won't be anything to worry about because I'll shoot 90. Put it this way - I hit 3 in a row in the water off #12 tee, following (of course) the snap hook lost ball on #11.

My goal is to not touch a golf club until that morning. I'm working on over 2 weeks right now. Should be good for my game and a better story when I qualify. It's not good enough for me to make it, but to make it after a 4 week hiatus where all I did was change diapers, lose sleep, and touch myself would be so sweet.

Rick, I play bomb and gouge style golf so as long as you are in the fairway there's nothing to worry about.

Like I said, even with a hybrid off roughly half of the non-par-3's yesterday (including the par 5 4th), I had my fair share of less than ideal lies. Forgot to mention - it looks like they are growing the rough up some, too. I was a foot off the fairway to the right of #4 with about 90 yards to the hole - and could only hit a lob wedge about 60 yards out of it. Plus, the entire course was wet from the morning dew until about 10:00 it was so friggin humid - even where they had mowed, which of course means that the ball was covered with wet grass clippings in the fairways (both times :kewlpics: ). Has the bunker short of 18 green always been more of a waste area than a maintained bunker. I hit a second ball from the fairway and gave it a go in two (good shot that needed another two feet to kick onto the green, but pitched backward instead). There's nothing but rocks and mud down there. I had never paid much attention to it before, but I was curious if this is normal.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Kiran, Tony, Keith, and I played 2 or 3 months ago and I remember thinking that bunker looked like crap. In all seriousness though that course is not that hard IF you play it smart but I don't play smart.

1. So much room to the right off the tee, just be careful with the creek really creeping in greenside left.

2. This is to me probably the toughest driving hole then again you have that creek up by the green.

3. All the room in the world to drive and a good sized green.

4. There really is nothing to this hole if you put it in play just favor left with your second.

5. Even this hole has a generous landing area, just don't get greedy to a back left pin.

6. Short little par 3 that you can take advantage of.

7. You can't reach in 2 but good birdie hole.

8. Just put it in the middle and make a par.

9. This fairway must be 50 or 60 yards wide and has a generous green.

10. Rick, narrow hole but you don't need but hybrid or fairway wood anyway.

11. Another wide open drive.

12. Might as well be long par 4 for you.

13. This is a very simple hole that looks tough because you drive through that chute.

14. Hole where 3 is a good score.

15. This is your risk reward hole.

16. Just don't screw with back right.

17. Very easy little short hole.

18. Easy par 5 for you to close with.

Really it's not that hard a golf course when you think about it.

Kiran, Tony, Keith, and I played 2 or 3 months ago and I remember thinking that bunker looked like crap. In all seriousness though that course is not that hard IF you play it smart but I don't play smart.

1. So much room to the right off the tee, just be careful with the creek really creeping in greenside left.

2. This is to me probably the toughest driving hole then again you have that creek up by the green.

4. There really is nothing to this hole if you put it in play just favor left with your second.

5. Even this hole has a generous landing area, just don't get greedy to a back left pin.

13. This is a very simple hole that looks tough because you drive through that chute.

Sam, do you have a little notebook with nice little diagrams??? I'm not so sure I know my home course half this well...

Sam, do you have a little notebook with nice little diagrams??? I'm not so sure I know my home course half this well...

Of course not, it's the gospel according to Sam, he's got this whole thing figured out from top to bottom. What course wouldn't kneel before him. . .

Forget the Houston Amateur and Texas State Open, Sam's setting his sights on the 83rd PGA, Tim Thelen WATCH OUT!!!!!!

Of course not, it's the gospel according to Sam, he's got this whole thing figured out from top to bottom. What course wouldn't kneel before him. . .

Forget the Houston Amateur and Texas State Open, Sam's setting his sights on the 83rd PGA, Tim Thelen WATCH OUT!!!!!!

If you guys would like I can go into more detail, I have only played Meadowbrook about 7 or 8 times but know it pretty well.

I "appologize" for being an idiot savant with golf courses. Besides Kiran probably does the same thing himself before a tournament except he figures the square root of yardages in his head.

If you guys would like I can go into more detail, I have only played Meadowbrook about 7 or 8 times but know it pretty well.

I "appologize" for being an idiot savant with golf courses. Besides Kiran probably does the same thing himself before a tournament except he figures the square root of yardages in his head.

Yeah, it's great on paper, but when I get a club in my hand, things go horribly, horribly wrong . . . :kewlpics:

Yeah, it's great on paper, but when I get a club in my hand, things go horribly, horribly wrong . . . :kewlpics:

Same here I can strategize just about any course well.

Same here I can strategize just about any course well.

Totally radical idea...as you know Sam, I just blast and pray.

NEW PLAN:

Anybody want to play golf on Tuesday? I am willing to play just about anytime and anywhere.

Maybe Blackhorse? My schedule might open up, I'll let you know tomorrow.

That would work, plus I bet we can get Keith. Tony might want a practice round at Wildcat. He is detained at the moment. Everybody ask him where he goes Sunday night?

Keith I don't know why anybody should feel bad you have meetings Tuesday, not only do you play all the golf you want, you have a company car, a 7 figure salary (oops said too much), and your wife was already leaving town the same weekend that your going to be telling Nike that they need a 23 year old PGA Apprentice to mop the floors in Ft. Worth and test clubs.

I say that because just the other day you called me a human Iron Byron off the tee. Keith you can't deny your feelings and I have Tony as a witness! We also need to remember to get one of those staff bags without the dividers. :kewlpics:

Just received the info for the qualifier in the mail, and I noticed they mixed the tees up a little.

The thing that really surprised me was that they are playing #8 at 165 (two tees up). :kewlpics:

Nos. 1, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 18 are all from the back tee. The rest besides #8 are from one up. total yardage is around 6820. I guess they want to make us hit driver on 4 and 18 if we're gonna give it a go in 2.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Just received the info for the qualifier in the mail, and I noticed they mixed the tees up a little.

The thing that really surprised me was that they are playing #8 at 165 (two tees up). :kewlpics:

Nos. 1, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 18 are all from the back tee. The rest besides #8 are from one up. total yardage is around 6820. I guess they want to make us hit driver on 4 and 18 if we're gonna give it a go in 2.

Shortening the course is BS. How am I going to use my exceptional length as an advantage? I don't know why I'm worried, 81 won't qualify anyway.

I also forgot to mention that they are charging $36 for a freaking cart!?! It also reads that there is a max of two carts per group. For those of you who have played in this before, did you walk and if so, did you have a caddie? Does ANYONE bring a caddie? If I walked, I'd like to have one just to carry the bag and nothing else. There are a couple of green to tee walks that are pretty long (2-3, 7-8). My brother asked if I wanted him to do it, but I don't want to be the douchebag that brings a caddie and shoots 85.

I do feel like I play better when I walk, I just haven't done it in so long that I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and carry my bag in a tournament after not walking 18 in probably 2 years. Long gone are the days of walking 36 in the middle of summer and not thinking twice about it.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

yes, the 2 cart rule is applicable in most of the amateur tournaments, never more than 2 carts per group. some people bring caddies, but most do not...most people just ride like a normal round of golf. i definitely will ride, b/c wednesday is supposed to be 99* in the shade... :kewlpics:

sam, i'm out tomorrow b/c can't take 2 days off in a row. i'll join you next week, redstone? blackhorse?

I also forgot to mention that they are charging $36 for a freaking cart!?! It also reads that there is a max of two carts per group. For those of you who have played in this before, did you walk and if so, did you have a caddie? Does ANYONE bring a caddie? If I walked, I'd like to have one just to carry the bag and nothing else. There are a couple of green to tee walks that are pretty long (2-3, 7-8). My brother asked if I wanted him to do it, but I don't want to be the douchebag that brings a caddie and shoots 85.

I do feel like I play better when I walk, I just haven't done it in so long that I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and carry my bag in a tournament after not walking 18 in probably 2 years. Long gone are the days of walking 36 in the middle of summer and not thinking twice about it.