2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno JPX-800

G.Review

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't quite figure out why there isn't more said about these irons. I'm a 10 and really looking to add some consistency and distance to my iron game. I'm 53 and just not hitting it like I used to. Naturally, after the Masters, I started working on my game and trying everything. I did the demo days and got fitted. I start hitting the ball well and start thinking, why not the MP 53's or just staying with my TM TPs. After all, I don't need a GI club... What a crock. I bought the clubs and was hitting the 4 iron 200 yards right out of the gate. Now I know that all of you hit your 4 irons much farther than that, but for those of us who hit it 190 when we pure it (like me) and pick up a club that goes farther, is easier to hit, can be worked either way, but straight is OK with me, is not only fun but a big confidence builder. And is the club ugly? No. I'm not crazy about the back design, but when you sit the club down it just looks a little larger than normal and you don't see any flange from the 7 iron through GW. The feel on good strikes is just fine and quickly gotten used to. i will post more as i play these things but for now the only negative is my need to re-calibrate my club distance. about 1.5-2 different.

• 1 month later...

I bought the JPX-800 a couple of months ago, always played Ping irons previously (Eye 2, and ISI Nickel and Copper), so that is my reference point. I didn't go to golf store for irons this day I bought them and I'd never even considered Mizuno a brand on my radar. I saw them, liked the looks of them, had considered a graphite shaft iron for feel and less shock absorption for my wrist with dequervines Tendonitis. I took the 6 iron in the hitting area, and felt solid hits one after another off the grass mat, so I took them with me! It was a impromptu decision, but one so far, I have not regretted. I've struggled some with my swing after being away from the game for a year or two, but when I deliver a solid swing, they deliver results, I feel the ball just spring off the club with a lot of power and feel of a very solid hit. Smooth, and solid. I have found that whether it's the graphite shafts, or the hot metal face or Max core technoligy (the current buzz words), I feel I am at least 1 club longer with these irons than my Pings, maybe 1.5 to 2 clubs longer! I hesitated to say 2 clubs myself, but re-reading the first guy's comments here, he is right, it's a total recalibration for me as well. In fact, going by my old mind set, I'm back of greens, even over some greens. Any of you ever had problems coming up short a lot??? Yeah, I used to as well. But now, the JPX-800 are really helping me in that area.

These clubs seem pretty forgiving off the toe. I have hit decent shots off the toe quite a bit, so you know, the forgiveness is there. I have not felt quite the ability to work the ball to well with them yet, but that could be just me, not the clubs. I've always been more a fade player, drawing usually a mistake, if I try to draw the ball, it's usually a hard hit, but straight and left of target. I seem to hit these straighter honestly, and well, that is not a bad thing, it's controllable!

I'm not an extremely long hitter, and my swing speed and age at this point meant regular shafts made sense, but I do not feel held back by these shafts even when I deliver a powerful swing, and I have hit Firm Flex shafts in the past. The flex feels so strong at impact to me. I am still struggling some with direction. I don't seem to have that pin point accuracy that I want with them. I've yet to figure that part out exactly. But I am hitting them more consistently all the time, especially the short irons. My direction issues could still be just me or more likely, it could be setting up with a different look at address than I am used to. I'll update my post later as I gain more experience with them.

But I'd say if you want effortless power, and smooth and solid feel at impact in a game improvement iron, give these JPX-800's a chance at the pro shop. Try the graphite shafts, I think they rock!

• 1 month later...

I am a 9-10 handicap, 60+ years old, and figured I would try a game improvement iron to see whether they would help bring the handicap down. I bought a set of these early this year with GS95 R-300 shafts (a little weaker shaft than I have been using). I played MP-52's last year with a KBS stiff shaft, and while those were very accurate they certainly were not long. These are the opposite; they are amazingly long, at least one club longer and out of the rough maybe a club and a half. From 150 in the rough I am hitting a 9 iron and wondering about a PW, as opposed to a consistent 8 iron with the MP 52's. (Perhaps not surprising given the lofts of the 800's.) These also are very forgiving and somewhat workable, I can hit a decent fade and draw although they won't remind you of blades in terms of accuracy. And that's the issue; I hit these onto many greens, maybe more than I should, but not at very many pins. They are middle of the green clubs, even down to the PW and gap wedges, and the lofts are so aggressive that using a more accurate gap wedge leaves a very large gap (sorry!) between clubs somewhere in the bag.
Bottom line; these did not reduce my handicap but it's hard to give up on clubs that you can hit this far and that are this forgiving. I'm back to a set of MX-300's, but the JPX are not going anywhere for a while. The experiment continues for a while, at least.

• 2 months later...

[size="3"]Buying JPX 800 was the best thing I have done for my golf for ages. I play of 17 and being overly ambitious used to play MP 62 with regular TT Black Gold shafts in it. Exceptionally good clubs, straight, workable (lol), but I did not realised how short in comparison to 800s they were. Coming into my golden age and playing once a week only (unfortunately I have my priorities wrong), with a shorter and shorter swing, I needed to add something to my armour, and the 800 were the perfect answer. With 800 and a regular XP shaft, I am 2 (two) clubs longer, with significantly higher and softer landing balls, however usually to the left (after MP62 it is understandable) – which is not that bad thing if you think about it. The larger offset and stronger lofts are getting a bit to use but overall I do not regret buying 800 at all. I have a set of new TT Black Gold’s (I recon, the best shafts that were ever made and I like the looks of it too) somewhere in the garage and I am thinking, perhaps, of changing shafts from XPs to TT Black Golds. The funny thing is that I have a much more confidence in hitting this club because I know there is a much larger margin of error and the head of 800 looks that much friendlier. With 800s I can relax and enjoy the game.[/size]

• 4 months later...

Just went in to get fitted for a new pair of Ap1's. Guy had me hit the Razr and also the Mizuno JPX 800. Did not think much of it, but for me the MIzuno blew the other two away. I am coming from g15's and wanted something a little less clunky and something that looks better at address.

Got the PX shafts. will be here tomorrow.

[quote name='G.Review' timestamp='1296101453' post='2928333']
What do you think?

[attachment=719305:Mizuno JPX-800.jpg]
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

[size="3"]I have been playing my TM CGB Max irons since 2008(playing to a 14-15 now)....I have tried TM R9 and R11, Ping G20, Callaway Ibrid, Titleist AP1's, and even the Mizuno JPX 800 with TT XP S300 shaft...I sold all of them.[/size]
[size="3"]
[/size]
[size="3"]None of them could kick the TM CBB Maxes with rifle stiff shaft out of my bag.[/size]
[size="3"]
[/size]
[size=2]I liked the JPX 800's(with XP TT shafts) but the shaft felt too stiff and heavy for me.[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]I just ordered the JPX 800 with the TT GS95(95 grams) in S300 and I think I finally found the irons that will be in the bag for awhile!. They are light and look good at address.[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Compared the the CGB Max irons no irons look and feel like SGI except the G20's cause of their thick sole....CGB Max epitomize chunky![/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]While most would laugh at this, the JPX 800's look fairly compact when looking down at it at address compared to what I am used to.[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]JPX's let me know if Im hitting it off the heel, center and toe pretty easily. I dont bother trying to work the ball, I am just trying to make solid contact. On flushed center hits the balls explode off of the face but on mishits, the TM CGB Maxes definitely are more forgiving.[/size]

• 3 months later...

Amazing forgiveness
Higher trajectory and longer distance
Head size is well masked
Easy to work the ball
Hot off the face

Only problem I had was distance control when I had to punch out with partial swing but not that great deal

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• 9 months later...

I picked up a set of these irons last year. I have previously played classic PIng Eye 2 Red Dots. I have been a descent golfer around a 10-12 handicap. What I lacked was consistency. I went to my local golf shop and they have shaft optimizer and launch monitor for club fittings. The shaft optimizer had me between a extra stiff and stiff, so the golf shop said they do a softstep, which is when they take an extra stiff shaft and cut it to be in between a extra stiff and stiff. I had my eye set on the Titelist AP1 or AP2's, or the new Ping clubs. When I finially hit the JPX 800 irons, I was hitting my 6 iron 195 yds on the launch monitor which was about 1.5 - 2 clubs further then my Ping Eye 2, 6 Iron. That being said, I went with the JPX's. I had a hard time at first geting my distance control down, and I would always fan the ball the right. I naturally draw my iron shots, and so it took a while to figure out how much it was going to move back left. At first I would be going over a lot of greens and mainly fanning the ball the right. I guess having the ball go further then what you expected is not a bad thing, I enjoyed getting more distance out of my irons. I now just have to always play the weaker club and come up shorter rather then over the green. I am now a 7.3 index or around a 8-9 handicap depneding on where I play, and I do think the upgraded irons is part of my rescent success. I saw on ebay you can snag a set of these right now for $445 buy it now. Do it!